Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mma_noobie

The Eddie performance was near perfection, it was a beautiful victory on every sense ,

Eddie was perfect match up in styles for Conor someone who always got hit a lot and more often than not got hurt in fights,

Conor was and is a level above Eddie

Eddie has gone on to get his arse whipped in Japan.

It was a nice win by McGregor but against an average opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mma_noobie wrote: »

So he's only beaten smaller guys with his dated left hand.

Except for the guys who weren't smaller than him and who he didn't beat with the left hand....... but they don't count.

Nice try re-reg!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

You better win this one Dustin....take a look at your future

It's always been the narrative hasn't it McGregor only beats bums after the fact

Nate, Eddie, Cowboy .............who the fuk are those guys

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Conor thinks he can just "puck" the head off the lads starting with Poirer.

He has no power. He has no speed. He is a one dimensional fighter.

There is no growth mindset with McGregor. He is finished.

Poirer breaks his jaw

But.... timing beats speed, and precision beats power!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you really think everyone in the same weight class is the same size ?
    Huh?
    That’s literally just said they weren’t the same size.
    Why did Conor himself always remark on being to big to strong at FW if there all the same size ?
    Well they weren’t all the same size.
    Dan hooker for one stated before he fought Dustin he seen Dustin pre fight weigh and it was 182lbs on fight night,

There was a recently of a load of official fight night weights floating around Dustin was at 182.9lbs for Conor fight,
    A random comment by Hooker isn’t verified.
    And there’s no official fight night weigh in. So you’ve made that up.
    Look your aren't going to change your mind you have it made up which is fine but trust me two guys can weigh the same and one can be bigger, ( iv been the smaller guy at the same weight numerous times not in mma )
    In the same division, of course.
    If two guys both weight the same on the night they are the same size. That’s a fact. Mass is measured in lbs or kg.
    Being the same size but naturally bigger doesn’t give you special powers.

You dodged the question on their actual natural/current weights. I think that makes my point pretty clearly.

It’s a discussion thread. This kinda if discussion is far more relevant that posts discussing his beard, shirts, or slagging off Dee or whatever.

• Advertisement

Average opponent. Who was the UFC champion?
    Living up to the username anyway. Nice try imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Conor and Dustin are very similarly sized imo. Conor carries more weight in his legs+arms, Dustin in torso. When comparing the weigh in photos Dustin looks bigger, thats because he is wearing shoes, Conor is barefoot, and Conor standing a bit sideways so will appear narrower. His torso is already narrow so that photo will make the difference more noticeable. Thinking Dustin has a size advantage over Conor is crazy, you can tell when Dustin got the takedown he was struggling to control Conor. He is plenty big enough for 155, problem lies with his training and heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

His training partners and competitive atmosphere must be a factor, look at city kick boxing and how many ufc fighters they have and their coaches are consistently simulating safe but pressurised fight conditions. Conor is doing lots of cardio at the moment but is he simulating fight conditions and pressure, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »
    Huh?
    That’s literally just said they weren’t the same size.

A random comment by Hooker isn’t verified.
    And there’s no official fight night weigh in. So you’ve made that up.

In the same division, of course.
    If two guys both weight the same on the night they are the same size. That’s a fact. Mass is measured in lbs or kg.
    Being the same size but naturally bigger doesn’t give you special powers.

You dodged the question on their actual natural/current weights. I think that makes my point pretty clearly.

It’s a discussion thread. This kinda if discussion is far more relevant that posts discussing his beard, shirts, or slagging off Dee or whatever.

Mellor I may be getting you mixed up with someone else but haven't you competed in MMA & BJJ or Boxing before ?

If so I can't understand how you think guys who weigh the same for a couple of seconds on a scale are the same size ,

As I said multiple time iv been weigh the same as someone for a few second on the scale and ended up being the much smaller man ?

Conor v Mendes or Aldo are perfect examples , both guys could make the weight below FW Conor could not , WHY??????? because he is a bigger man ,

Conor fought Khabib at light weight but could Khabib fight at FW like Conor NO because he is a bigger man ,

I'm not sure who you can;t make sense of people been bigger than others in the same weight class,

As far as I am aware fighters always get weighted on fight night by the UFC, its just not made public,
    You can find they get released from time to time happing way more often recently ,

Hooker said they all got weight on fight night and Dustin was weight before him so he seen his weight, Why would he lie ? You can watch the video online ,

Average opponent. Who was the UFC champion?
    Living up to the username anyway. Nice try imo.

Being champion doesn't necessarily mean you are the best.

Matt Serra won a belt for god sake.

Alvarez, since losing to McGregor, has lost 3 more fights with 2 no contests.

The fella is rank average. McGregor got hammered in boxing by Mayweather, got hammered by Khabib, got hammered by Diamond.

Yeah, he put a beating on Cerrone, but that is about McGregor's level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Obviously he got "hammered" by Mayweather, he's not a pro boxer, and anyone with half a brain cell knew he was going to lose. In fact it's a miracle Mayweather let it play out as long as he did to be honest, he could have ended it round one. It was a money-making freak show, I really struggle to understand how people use as a stick against McGregor, as if he should have somehow won.

He didn't really get "hammered" by Khabib. Submitted in R4. He actually achieved a lot more against Khabib than Gaethje did, arguably Porier as well....regardless, both were also decisively beaten, Justin the worst of all 3.

He was decisively beaten by Porier but not "hammered" either. Close first round with good shots on both sides. Porier just had a better game plan and executed it well.

I mean you're talking about him losing to, literally, the best lightweights in the world. Look at Dominick Reyes, lost his last 3 and took an absolute pounding in the last 2, but once again, anyone with half a brain cell knows when you fight the best of the best, these things happen.

I don't believe McGregor is up there at this stage with the likes of Porier and Gaethje. I'd say he belongs in the area where bangers like Masvidal, Paul Felder or Dan Hooker hang around - good, entertaining fighters that are still elite relatively speaking, but just not championship material.

But Conor's still a pretty solid and dangerous fighter who could be even better and more dangerous if he bothered to get a proper team.

Of course not. But not the best the doesn’t mean you are average. There’s levels between average and goat. I can understand is some only watch title fights, but the division is bigger than that.
    There’s are probably close to 100 fighters in LW. The entire top 10 are all above average.
    Alvarez, since losing to McGregor, has lost 3 more fights with 2 no contests.
    It’s pretty common for fighters, after exiting the big league, to stop putting the effort in adjust collect a payday.
    McGregor got hammered in boxing by Mayweather
    Mayweather is amount the greatest boxers of all time. Anyone who thought Conor had a chance was delusional.
    And is still delusional if they think it’s a put down now :pac:

Homelander wrote: »
    In fact it's a miracle Mayweather let it play out as long as he did to be honest, he could have ended it round one. It was a money-making freak show.
    The number of rounds it went doesn’t impact the money it makes. He doesn’t care about making it exciting either.
    Mayweather could have finished it in 1 round. I fully believe that. But that would have involved opening up and attacking, leaving himself open to a tiny tiny chance of being clipped.
    But Mayweather doesn’t take chances. He’d rather shell up, not take the hits, loses the rounds and take the certainty in later rounds. When he turned it up to finish Conor probably survived longer than Mayweather was hoping

Mellor I may be getting you mixed up with someone else but haven't you competed in MMA & BJJ or Boxing before ?
    No, your not mixing me up. Well, I haven’t boxed, but the rest is accurate. I know how fight weights work. But I think you misunderstanding my posts.
    If so I can't understand how you think guys who weigh the same for a couple of seconds on a scale are the same size
    I’ve never mentioned the weigh-ins. I’m talking about actual, in cage, weights.

I fully get that across all divisions fighters are different sizes. The range over LW could be a lot. But fighters who are bigger than others weigh more on the cage. If they don’t weigh more in the cage then they aren’t bigger.
    It’s one or the other.
    As I said multiple time iv been weigh the same as someone for a few second on the scale and ended up being the much smaller man ?
    And during the match/fight did the other guy weigh more than you, do you think?
    Conor v Mendes or Aldo are perfect examples , both guys could make the weight below FW Conor could not , WHY??????? because he is a bigger man ,
    Aldo used to look like death weighing in. The Aldo that was FW champion was far too big to make 135. Mendes has never made 135.
    Conor fought Khabib at light weight but could Khabib fight at FW like Conor NO because he is a bigger man ,
    But we’re talking about Dustin, who has made FW. And fought Conor at FW. He clearly wasn’t naturally bigger then.
    I'm not sure who you can;t make sense of people been bigger than others in the same weight class,
    I’m not sure where that getting that from. :confused:
    I’m clearly said some fighters are bigger. I’m also saying that those bigger fighters actually weigh more. I’m kinda baffled that you think they don’t weigh more.

Hooker said they all got weight on fight night and Dustin was weight before him so he seen his weight, Why would he lie ? You can watch the video online ,
    He didnt say he seen the weigh in iirc.
    IHe asked the commission guy weighing him what Dustin weighed. Guy said 183lbs.
    They aren’t official weighings. They could rock up in shoes, and clothes, or whatever.
    I just take unofficial numbers with a pinch of salt, that’s all. Doesn’t affect my point above.

No, your not mixing me up. Well, I haven’t boxed, but the rest is accurate. I know how fight weights work. But I think you misunderstanding my posts.

I’ve never mentioned the weigh-ins. I’m talking about actual, in cage, weights.

I fully get that across all divisions fighters are different sizes. The range over LW could be a lot. But fighters who are bigger than others weigh more on the cage. If they don’t weigh more in the cage then they aren’t bigger.
    It’s one or the other.

And during the match/fight did the other guy weigh more than you, do you think?

Aldo used to look like death weighing in. The Aldo that was FW champion was far too big to make 135. Mendes has never made 135.

But we’re talking about Dustin, who has made FW. And fought Conor at FW. He clearly wasn’t naturally bigger then.

I’m not sure where that getting that from. :confused:
    I’m clearly said some fighters are bigger. I’m also saying that those bigger fighters actually weigh more. I’m kinda baffled that you think they don’t weigh more.

He didnt say he seen the weigh in iirc.
    IHe asked the commission guy weighing him what Dustin weighed. Guy said 183lbs.
    They aren’t official weighings. They could rock up in shoes, and clothes, or whatever.
    I just take unofficial numbers with a pinch of salt, that’s all. Doesn’t affect my point above.

As I said we can just agree to disagree you aren't going to change your mind

I think Dustin is bigger man than Conor , In my opinion Conor can't beat him at LW but when Dustin is fully and hydrated he is to just to big ,

I feel Conor optimal weight for his skill set is FW
    Just like Khabib knew being one of the bigger guys suited his skill set at LW and never went anywhere near WW,

I stick by two guys can weigh the same at a weigh in and one can be a bigger man when they get in there,

It happens all the time where lads are just two small for a weight class they fight in but to drained at class below.

McGregor got hammered in boxing by Mayweather

The fact that you use him losing to the greatest boxer of his generation, in a boxing match, as a negative against him says everything that needs to be said.

It's the kind of thing you hear school kids say about footballers who just happen to play for the team they don't like.

If I wanted to read that rubbish i'd be on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mma_noobie wrote:
    He beat Chandler in Bellator and then RDA for the UFC title. Are you saying they are poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The fact that you use him losing to the greatest boxer of his generation, in a boxing match, as a negative against him says everything that needs to be said.

It's the kind of thing you hear school kids say about footballers who just happen to play for the team they don't like.

If I wanted to read that rubbish i'd be on Twitter.

I wouldn't see mcgregor losing to mayweather as a sign of him being a poor fighter. I always see that fight as the loss of mcgregors real interest in the UFC.

So much less damage and risk and so much more money.

I do think switching to boxing and not competing in UFC for that amount of time really damaged him as a UFC fighter. He was at his prime when he started swapping back and forth and has never really recovered.

It was a massive money maker for Conor but was always a non contest and no shock to be fair, I was surprised he did as well as he did.

I think Dustin is bigger man than Conor , In my opinion Conor can't beat him at LW but when Dustin is fully and hydrated he is to just to big
    I never said he wasn't bigger.
    I said he was slightly bigger, and while its a factor it's not the only factor.

I also said people who are bigger, also actually weight more.
    You can't be bigger but weigh the same in the cage.
    I stick by two guys can weigh the same at a weigh in and one can be a bigger man when they get in there,
    Goalposts moved a bit there by adding "at a weigh-in". It was quite clear we were talking about actual weight, not the cut.

If you think Dustin is too big that's fine. I think you, and many others are being results based. Happens all the time in a upset followed by a rematch. The fans and the betting markets do a 180 and over-compensate.

I never said he wasn't bigger.
    I said he was slightly bigger, and while its a factor it's not the only factor.

I also said people who are bigger, also actually weight more.
    You can't be bigger but weigh the same in the cage.

Goalposts moved a bit there by adding "at a weigh-in". It was quite clear we were talking about actual weight, not the cut.

If you think Dustin is too big that's fine. I think you, and many others are being results based. Happens all the time in a upset followed by a rematch. The fans and the betting markets do a 180 and over-compensate.

Literally going around in circles for 2 days

We don't agree lets move on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

on 1 hand i'd love him to come out and smoke dustin like in the first meeting

but on the otherhand he's too big for his boots , all mouth etc , the rape allegations , cocaine taking , hitting people etc , he needs a reality check that he's not as good as he once was

• Advertisement

I rewatched the fight and there is no doubt that Poirer is absolutely the bigger man. It's free on BT youtube channel. Check it out.

Conor put up a seriously cringe tweets, giving out that fighters "use tactics". Insinuating that he is annoyed that Poirer didn't just stand still and let Conor punch him.

Shows his mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its just a goading tactic, he knows his only hope biggest strength/advantage comes when the opponent stands and trades with him. He spoke a lot about real fighting in the build up to the Mayweather fight for example and how limited he would be under boxing rules but he doesn't actually want a "real" fight and all that goes with it, he wants to stand and bang - its where he see's his advantage in the competition. Not good enough to be an actual boxer but plenty good enough for most of the guys in the UFC if they just stand in front of him (at LW and below)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I rewatched the fight and there is no doubt that Poirer is absolutely the bigger man. It's free on BT youtube channel. Check it out.

Conor put up a seriously cringe tweets, giving out that fighters "use tactics". Insinuating that he is annoyed that Poirer didn't just stand still and let Conor punch him.

Shows his mindset

Yeah that's very bizarre I thought conor used to not prepare for a fighter back in the day but then decided that this wasn't the right approach, isn't preparing for a particular fighter 'using tactics'. He also complained about Poirier for 'bitch kicks from a shell' well they were very effective. He's super salty. He should be aiming lower, Diego isn't an option anymore.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Yeah that's very bizarre I thought conor used to not prepare for a fighter back in the day but then decided that this wasn't the right approach, isn't preparing for a particular fighter 'using tactics'. He also complained about Poirier for 'bitch kicks from a shell' well they were very effective. He's super salty. He should be aiming lower, Diego isn't an option anymore.

He was tweeting last week saying that Usman was copying him by..... I dunno, punching his opponent?

He's lost the run of himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

He was tweeting last week saying that Usman was copying him by..... I dunno, punching his opponent?

He's lost the run of himself!

Don't think he ever had the run of himself, when you are on top you can spout rubbish and look good, sadly he is far from on top so just looks stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,183 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier and Conor are very similarly sized men....naturally similarly sized....

We're talking very little for either being bigger....

The fella is rank average. McGregor got hammered in boxing by Mayweather, got hammered by Khabib, got hammered by Diamond.

Hammered?

That fight told us two things....

1. Conor is not a boxer and never will or would have been one

2. Floyd is a fooking windbag taking ten rounds to win....scared ****less of getting hit and having to wait till a non boxer got tired before going to work.

The only stain left in that ring was on Floyd....in looking pathetic taking ten rounds to beat Conor.......AND he was not playing with him in any round. Made an absolute meal out of beating Conor

walshb wrote: »
    Hammered?

That fight told us two things....

1. Conor is not a boxer and never will or would have been one

2. Floyd is a fooking windbag taking ten rounds to win....scared ****less of getting hit and having to wait till a non boxer got tired before going to work.

The only stain left in that ring was on Floyd....in looking pathetic taking ten rounds to beat Conor.......AND he was not playing with him in any round. Made an absolute meal out of beating Conor

The idea that Floyd was playing with Conor was was taking rounds off is just aftertiming IMO.

Floyd won the fight and deserves all the credit for that.

Conor won early rounds and deserves credit for that too.

Floyd won the fight and deserves all the credit for that.

He doesn't

He is a career pro boxer......he beat a complete novice who never ever fought

So fook all credit......

Deserves a bit of ridicule if you ask me, for how he made such a meal out of beating Conor......and looked sh1t in doing so.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    He doesn't

He is a career pro boxer......he beat a complete novice who never ever fought

So fook all credit......

Deserves a bit of ridicule if you ask me, for how he made such a meal out of beating Conor......and looked sh1t in doing so.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ac2f00de55dd2924876a61b9724939f174acda71&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Advertisement