Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

eagle eye wrote: »
    Let's make this clear.
    Dana said Conor would be a replacement if either Tony or Khabib didn't make it. Conor said no that he's not a replacement fighter.
    When Khabib pulled out Conor was not offered the fight.

Because he said he's not a replacement fighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dave1982 wrote: »
    Dana said Conor was offered the fight but said no so Justin got it. If conor took the fight he'd be in Justin's position. So obviously conor is demanding to overstep Justin but Dana's saying no. Conor threw toys outta pram and retired

Ariel reckons conor got upset over comments broadcast team made after nunes fight says she's first dual champion in history to defend title.

Conor was never offered the fight.

There is a video literally two posts before yours where Dana White says that that entire narrative is all media spin and BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

begbysback wrote:
    Because he said he's not a replacement fighter?
    Yes but that was long before Khabib pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Let's make this clear.
    Dana said Conor would be a replacement if either Tony or Khabib didn't make it. Conor said no that he's not a replacement fighter.
    When Khabib pulled out Conor was not offered the fight.

https://youtu.be/qnaujMH5ZOo

There's dana saying conor never turns down fight
    https://youtu.be/kP60-EyliF4

There's conor saying he wants to fight tony

Let get this clear. Conor didn't want the fight because he wanted easiest route possible to a title fight

This oh I'm not a replacement fighter is to save face. Its story himself and dana cooked up

dave1982 wrote:
    This oh I'm not a replacement fighter is to save face. Its story himself and dana cooked up
    So this is your conspiracy theory or do you have proof?

• Advertisement

So this is your conspiracy theory or do you have proof?

Have you anything other than dana said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Have you anything other than dana said?

President of UFC says Vs random dude on internet says. I know who I'd tend to believe first.

Some people really need to stop and take a breath before they post their nonsense!

Whelo79 wrote: »
    President of UFC says Vs random dude on internet says. I know who I'd tend to believe first.

Some people really need to stop and take a breath before they post their nonsense!
    Oh yeah Dana's totally honest 100% time
    Case closed

Thanks for your words of wisdom. If dana said it its true

Oh yeah Dana's totally honest 100% time
    Case closed

Thanks for your words of wisdom. If dana said it its true

My point exactly. I'd still take his word over random internet stranger with absolutely zero insight.

You can't back up your argument by asking have you any other proof other than what Dana said, when you have absolutely zero proof yourself.

Like I said, take a breath and think before posting.

McGregor couldn't get to the fight...

• Advertisement

My point exactly. I'd still take his word over random internet stranger with absolutely zero insight.

You can't back up your argument by asking have you any other proof other than what Dana said, when you have absolutely zero proof yourself.

Like I said, take a breath and think before posting.

Zero insight and no proof haha,

I posted two videos of conor and dana. One conor saying he'd love to fight Tony and another Dana saying conor never turns down fights. Yet here we are conor don't want to fight Tony and dana saying conor said he's not replacement fighter. You obviously seem to know more than me can you explain why it all changed
    The Conor video is from January couple months before

Here's where dana and conor said Conor would be ready to step in if fight falls apart. Dana said Conor would step in and conor says that's a accurate statement. This was middle of January

https://youtu.be/KIPIHamRnEI

But yeah listen to Dana he's the most honest fella you could meet

So take breath yourself before posting

Zero insight and no proof haha,

I posted two videos of conor and dana. One conor saying he'd love to fight Tony and another Dana saying conor never turns down fights. Yet here we are conor don't want to fight Tony and dana saying conor said he's not replacement fighter. You obviously seem to know more than me can you explain why it all changed
    The Conor video is from January couple months before

Here's where dana and conor said Conor would be ready to step in if fight falls apart. Dana said Conor would step in and conor says that's a accurate statement. This was middle of January

https://youtu.be/KIPIHamRnEI

But yeah listen to Dana he's the most honest fella you could meet

So take breath yourself before posting

Like you say, that was January. The fight wasn't scheduled until April. Dana clearly says Conor changed his mind and said he is not a replacement fighter way before the fight was ever off. He also says when the fight was off Conor was never offered it and he doesn't even know if Conor could have gotten into the country anyway.

Pretty simple to me, why people want to twist it and make it something it isn't is beyond me. I guess we all get out entertainment in different ways, or have different levels of comprehension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Was listening to Ariels podcast earlier, says although it’s unlikely he wouldn’t rule out McGregor fighting on July 11th just yet.

Was listening to Ariels podcast earlier, says although it’s unlikely he wouldn’t rule out McGregor fighting on July 11th just yet.

What a card that would be if he was in it. He couldn't be the main event thought, not ahead of 3 title fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

What a card that would be if he was in it. He couldn't be the main event thought, not ahead of 3 title fights.

He would have to be the main event. He is country miles bigger star than anyone else on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

He would be the main event surely and every champ on the card would be delighted I'd say because they'd surely all be getting PPV points.

Though a PPV with four 5 round fights has the potential to go way long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭xtal191

Doubt it, isn't it championship fights get a ppv cut so the weaker the card the more ppv money McGregor gets? He wont wanna share ppv money

I always thought that's the reason all his cards have been pretty poor on paper since Aldo, apart from Alvarez but that was the first Madison Square event so they kinda had to put on a massive card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭robwen

RDA called him out for a fight at 155 165 or 170 after Chael Sonnen did one of his videos saying he should

Love re-watching the Khabib fight, see some more scummy fouls by McGregor each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Love re-watching the Khabib fight, see some more scummy fouls by McGregor each time.

I find the fact that most of those fouls are illegal is pretty silly imo. Why shouldn't one be able to grab shorts, or knee on the ground? There's nothing scummy about it, entirely arbitrary decisions to make something illegal.

Ref still should have called McGregor on them.

• Advertisement

I think it's funny that you think people will bite on your attempt to start something off.
    We are all aware that there's McGregor lovers and haters.
    Guess what, he's currently retired so nobody really cares right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've rewatched the fight twice and really Conor didn't perform remotely near as badly as people make out. Him and Porier are similiar I mean yeah obviously he was decisively beaten but you'd swear he got choked out in 20 seconds the way some people go on about him being "found out" and "exposed". There is a reason Khabib is 28-0. Poirier didn't do any better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Homelander wrote: »
    I've rewatched the fight twice and really Conor didn't perform remotely near as badly as people make out. Him and Porier are similiar I mean yeah obviously he was decisively beaten but you'd swear he got choked out in 20 seconds the way some people go on about him being "found out" and "exposed". There is a reason Khabib is 28-0. Poirier didn't do any better.

Isn’t it correct that McGregor is the only fighter to have won a round against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

aloooof wrote: »
    Isn’t it correct that McGregor is the only fighter to have won a round against him?

Yeah officially.

You can argue Gleson won a round aswell. (People think he won the fight, iv seen it a few times I think he was beaten handy 29-28 but was 30-27 across the board.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I see we've moved on from 2016 to 2018 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

You can bet your house that McGregor is not fighting on July 11th. Won't happen guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah officially.

You can argue Gleson won a round aswell. (People think he won the fight, iv seen it a few times I think he was beaten handy 29-28 but was 30-27 across the board.)

I must go back and watch that fight. The media scores were all very heavy of Gleison

Mellor wrote: »
    I must go back and watch that fight. The media scores were all very heavy of Gleison

Yeah I can definitely see why, the fight was much closer than the 30-27s the judges gave but there wasn't much action for the whole fight to base the scoring, khabib was the more aggressive anyway which rightly/wrongly won him the fight imo. I gave him 1&3, Tibau 3.

Think alot of media had it 30-27 Tibau with 1/2 having it 29-28 Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah I can definitely see why, the fight was much closer than the 30-27s the judges gave but there wasn't much action for the whole fight to base the scoring, khabib was the more aggressive anyway which rightly/wrongly won him the fight imo. I gave him 1&3, Tibau 3.

Think alot of media had it 30-27 Tibau with 1/2 having it 29-28 Khabib.
    Out of 6 recorded media scores recorded here

Four scored 30-27 Tibau
    One scored 30-28 Tibau (10-10 in the 3rd)
    One scored 29-28 Khabib (1 & 3, but added a draw wouldn't be terrible)

Collectively, Tibau was award 10pts in 16/18 rounds.
    The judges gave him 0.

Crazy scoring really.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Out of 6 recorded media scores recorded here

Four scored 30-27 Tibau
    One scored 30-28 Tibau (10-10 in the 3rd)
    One scored 29-28 Khabib (1 & 3, but added a draw wouldn't be terrible)

Collectively, Tibau was award 10pts in 16/18 rounds.
    The judges gave him 0.

Crazy scoring really.

Yeah it was a bit of a mad fight, but I don't think it was a robbery that the media scores make it look like personally.

There wasn't much action the whole fight. Give it a watch again and see what you think yourself. The only thing I had an issue with was the 30x27 across the board for Khabib. 29-28/the draw/Tibau win would have been fair, but the 30x27s were a shambles.

Advertisement