Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,813 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    If Tony won, you wouldn't be making a case that Conor deserves a shot at the interim.
    That's correct, because Tony was ahead of him.
    Fact is they could have pushed the interim fight until June or July and Conor could have taken it then. Was that offer made? I very much doubt it. They wanted to keep McGregor out of the ring until live gates are back because he does record takes there too. He has six of the top seven all time live gates.
    It's a complete sham and it's no wonder Conor has decided to play the retirement card. That's his only power move against the UFC. He made it clear they were trying to play the power game on him.
    And I agree with his prediction that Khabib Vs Gaethje won't happen in August or September, it'll get pushed one way or another which means a huge summer ppv was lost by not listening to McGregor.

pgj2015 wrote:
    I always thought Diaz won the second fight.
    It was a very close fight but at worst it was a draw. Round 3 was a clear 10-8 to Nate which wasn't given as a 10-8 by two judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well he, Gaethje, jumped the queue, he was behind Conor in the rankings and is now ahead of him without fighting him. How does that happen, because Conor had just had a fight? Is that fair? Do you not think Conor has a gripe after doing yet another 1 million sales ppv? Do you not think he deserves a shot at the interim belt?

A shot at the interim belt is one of the worst things I've heard, the belt is basically to say you fight the champ next, but shiny.

Justin is the number 1 contender, that means he fights the champ next, not take a detour and fight Conor because he's throwing his toys out of the pram for not being next in line for Khabib.

He needs to fight someone else high in the rankings, Dustin or Tony or that.
    If he wins, he has a case to fight the loser of Khabib vs Justin. If he wins that, then he gets a title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Whats the point of an interim belt if the holder isn't going to fight the champ to unify them?

Doff wrote:
    Whats the point of an interim belt if the holder isn't going to fight the champ to unify them?
    Ask the UFC, Tony Ferguson just defended and lost his.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The fight was for the interim title but Ferguson wasn't defending anything. He was stripped of his interim title ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

That's extraordinary circumstances where the champ is unable to fight. Additionally, if Tony didn't have the interim belt then UFC probably would have created one for that fight. Khabib is (so far) available to fight in August/September which gives both fighters a decent camp to prepare for it.
    Worth noting that Tony didn't have to take the Gaethje fight either, he could have sat out and waited for his shot against Khabib.

EDIT: Forgot Tony actually got stripped of it ages ago. Rest of the my post still stands though.

The fight was for the interim title but Ferguson wasn't defending anything. He was stripped of his interim title ages ago.
    Can you give me the date he got stripped of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's correct, because Tony was ahead of him.

Tony was only ahead of him because he jumped him. By the above logic, Conor is owed his fight with both.
    If you apply that logic for one, it should be for all.
    Round 3 was a clear 10-8 to Nate which wasn't given as a 10-8 by two judges.
    As you said, it’s a draw at best. Even with the most bias scoring.

But 3rd was nowhere near a 10-8 by the actual definition. If 3rd was a 10-8, so was the 2nd with 2 knockdowns.

Can you give me the date he got stripped of it?

April 7th 2018

After he pulled out of the fight with Khabib, and Khabib was awarded the 155 title. Tony hasn’t been interim for over 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

It was a very close fight but at worst it was a draw. Round 3 was a clear 10-8 to Nate which wasn't given as a 10-8 by two judges.

No way was it a clear 10-8, yes Diaz won it but Conor bounced back with a few nice one-twos and lovely elbows in the clinch, he was totally gassed but still also stuffed take down attempts.

I agree on the night watching it was either a draw or Conor win, but by logic if 3rd was a 10-8 then Conor gets 2 10-8 in round 1/2 (definitely the second anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Mellor wrote: »
    Tony was only ahead of him because he jumped him. By the above logic, Conor is owed his fight with both.
    If you apply that logic for one, it should be for all.

As you said, it’s a draw at best. Even with the most bias scoring.

But 3rd was nowhere near a 10-8 by the actual definition. If 3rd was a 10-8, so was the 2nd with 2 knockdowns.

Mellor got there ahead of me

Mellor wrote:
    April 7th 2018
    After he pulled out of the fight with Khabib, and Khabib was awarded the 155 title. Tony hasn’t been interim for over 2 years.
    What was the belt he was carrying at the press conference with Khabib then?

It was his old interim belt. He holds on to it.
    There’s a new belt for each fight.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN8wb_PoEVx84JNc3pvsTqUqKEs3EaOcBCqhIm1VtAebAE9bKgi9mW-a4l-g&s=10

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When you lose a belt, they don't take it from you. You still keep your belts. All former champs still have their belts (unless they got rid of them). When you get stripped of a belt you still keep the belt, you just aren't the champion any more. McGregor still has both his belts despite him being stripped of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

When you lose a belt, they don't take it from you. You still keep your belts. All former champs still have their belts (unless they got rid of them). When you get stripped of a belt you still keep the belt, you just aren't the champion any more. McGregor still has both his belts despite him being stripped of them.

They used to give you a new belt for every win as champion but with the new style belt I believe they add a stone (not sure what kind) to it each time you defend the belt,

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

They used to give you a new belt for every win as champion but with the new style belt I believe they add a stone (not sure what kind) to it each time you defend the belt,

https://www.ufc.com/news/introducing-ufc-legacy-championship-belt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Aldo was a fluke. Give me your arguments against. It was a flash KO. Aldo bought into the hype. Alvarez was the same, I don't think that fight was a fluke win I think Alvarez bought into the McGregor hype train and was not mentally prepared for the fight. On skill I believe Alvarez to be the better fighter.

His win to take the 145lb belt was a fluke. He was then gifted a shot at 155lbs and fought a man who mentally crumbled under the McGregor train. A perfect storm. He's a con artist of the highest order. Khabib showed him to be exactly what he is, a charlatan scumbag.

Let him fight Poirier or Ferguson and see how well he does. He is no where near top 5, barley makes top 10 in my view.

go home will ya ,seriously have you nothing better to do than post tripe on an internet forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

The nate fight was a pretty obvious ud win for mcgregor

he clearly won rds 1,2 and 4

nate won 3 and 5

not much more to it really

akelly02 wrote:
    The nate fight was a pretty obvious ud win for mcgregor

he clearly won rds 1,2 and 4
    nate won 3 and 5
    not much more to it really
    I wouldn't argue if you have round 2 to Nate or Conor, it was very close.
    The key round was 3. Nate completely dominated. If you remember it looked like the referee was strongly contemplating stopping it. That was a definite 10-8 in the eyes of any reasonable person or judge.
    Draw or Nate win would have been hard to argue with, Conor win was a wrong and maybe even currupt decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The key round was 3. Nate completely dominated. If you remember it looked like the referee was strongly contemplating stopping it. That was a definite 10-8 in the eyes of any reasonable person or judge.

You can state this as fact but it doesn't make it so.
    Draw or Nate win would have been hard to argue with

Evidently not, given a number of people disagreeing with you on there.
    , Conor win was a wrong and maybe even currupt decision.

Ridiculous comment.

Would you count Firas Zahabi as a a reasonable person or judge? He gave the fight to Conor. You can watch his reasoning here:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Draw or Nate win would have been hard to argue with, Conor win was a wrong and maybe even currupt decision.

He won round 1 and 4 clearly, dominated round 2 but Diaz had a late flurry.......that's 3 rounds, there's no disputing who won the fight ........the only dispute for me was to give Diaz the last round, apart from a takedown with 5 secs to go there was nothing much in it

How is it 2016 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mellor wrote: »
    How is it 2016 again?

Because 2020 just wants to keep ****ing with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

You don't know what a 10-8 is clearly. Check the rules and rewatch the round. Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

The Belt is an over glorified trophy. Its the designation of being champion that Conor was stripped of twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

Dana wants his cash cow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dana said Conor was offered the fight but said no so Justin got it. If conor took the fight he'd be in Justin's position. So obviously conor is demanding to overstep Justin but Dana's saying no. Conor threw toys outta pram and retired

Ariel reckons conor got upset over comments broadcast team made after nunes fight says she's first dual champion in history to defend title.

• Advertisement

dave1982 wrote:
    Dana said Conor was offered the fight but said no so Justin got it. If conor took the fight he'd be in Justin's position. So obviously conor is demanding to overstep Justin but Dana's saying no. Conor threw toys outta pram and retired
    Let's make this clear.
    Dana said Conor would be a replacement if either Tony or Khabib didn't make it. Conor said no that he's not a replacement fighter.
    When Khabib pulled out Conor was not offered the fight.

Advertisement