Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

GiftofGab wrote: »
    You can bet your house that McGregor is not fighting on July 11th. Won't happen guys.

I think we all knew before covid that the whole "I want to fight 3 times this year" was bs from Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    I think we all knew before covid that the whole "I want to fight 3 times this year" was bs from Conor.

Why do you think that?
    If it wasn't Covid, Tony Khabib already happen.
    Gaethje wants a shot, Conor wants a shot. There 9 months left in the year.

Covid was the only reason that all got thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Mellor wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

He's been a one a year fighter for the last few years. Unless he's really hurting for money I don't expect him to change that habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Mellor wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

He's too full of ego and drama now to have the ability to calmly sit down with UFC and negotiate 3 different fights in the same year. Always has the throw his toys out the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭robwen

His plan for the year all going well was Cowboy, then Nate for the BMF belt & then the Khabib rematch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

robwen wrote:
    His plan for the year all going well was Cowboy, then Nate for the BMF belt & then the Khabib rematch
    I'm not sure that's correct. I think he wanted Gaethje in the summer.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    He's been a one a year fighter for the last few years. Unless he's really hurting for money I don't expect him to change that habit.
    Just because he didn’t the last few doesn’t mean he couldn’t fight regularly again.
    If the “only when he needs the money” logic were true he wouldn’t have fought at all this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,967 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think Conor probably looks at WW and LW and doesn't really see or believe that he is the top dog..

He was successful for a period due to him having size advantages over smaller men.

Really, Conor was a LW boiled boiled down to FW a few years ago....He is of similar natural size to WWs now, but they are probably too strong for him.

Khabib, a man of similar size, but not bigger, handled Conor fairly easily....and Khabib doesn't want to venture to WW.

Overall I think Conor's career was good, but nothing special...a hell of a lot more OTT hype than actual substance

Apart from a punchbag Diaz and an old worn Cowboy, who has Conor fought that was both good and bigger-same size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

walshb wrote: »
    Really, Conor was a LW boiled boiled down to FW a few years ago....He is of similar natural size to WWs now, but they are probably too strong for him.

He's pretty much always been a natural WW, but practically all of the WW are not, they'd be more natural MW and possibly even LHW depending on how much weight they cut.
    That's why they're too big/strong.

Also why Khabib won't go up in weight, doesn't want to lose that 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Apart from a punchbag Diaz and an old worn Cowboy, who has Conor fought that was both good and bigger-same size

Poirier was a bigger featherweight than him, Aldo cut every bit as much weight to make featherweight as mcgregor did, Holloway is taller and longer than mcgregor though he doesn't have as big a frame.

He's nowhere near the best of all time or anything, but he's a lot better than the flat track bully you are painting him as here.

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Poirier was a bigger featherweight than him, Aldo cut every bit as much weight to make featherweight as mcgregor did, Holloway is taller and longer than mcgregor though he doesn't have as big a frame.

He's nowhere near the best of all time or anything, but he's a lot better than the flat track bully you are painting him as here.

Poirier was not a bigger FW.

Aldo is naturally smaller in every way. And clearly so..

Holloway the same. Naturally smaller..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Holloway isn't naturally smaller. He walks around at 170+. Probably closer to 180.

Poirier walks around at much the same as McGregor.

Khabib, a man of similar size, but not bigger, handled Conor fairly easily....and Khabib doesn't want to venture to WW.

Walsh, are you even serious with this nonsense? Khabib walks around at close to 200lbs. He is essentially doing what Conor did but far worse when it comes to weight cutting. Conor had to cut 25lbs to make 145 but Khabib routinely has to cut between 35 and 45lbs, it's the main reason he has had so many missed weight cuts at LW. Mike Brown said he had to cut 40lbs for the Poirer fight. If you don't think Khabib is bigger than Conor then you need to pop round to specsavers. Conor can't even get past 171.

Holloway is not smaller than Mcgregor not in height or weight. Holloway is closer to Khabib in walk around weight than Conor. When Tony pulled out of the Khabib fight at UFC 223 and Holloway had to step in, he weighed over 180lbs. The commission wouldn't let him continue cutting because obviously losing 1/5th of your body weight in less than a week was medically negligent. If Holloway was naturally smaller than Conor then that weight cut would have never been called off by the NY commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Does it matter....Holloway and Poirier (currently ranked no3 at LW btw) were both up and coming at the time, same as McGgregor ......Aldo was 10 yrs undefeated champ

He beat them all and beat them convincingly, I notice a tendency to discredit anyone he's fought and beat..... Diaz, Alvarez and Cowboy case in point .....no doubt should he ever fight and beat Geathje the goal posts will be shifted on him too

Conor was a big man at FW and LW. Naturally he’s very wide and has a very strong makeup.

Khabib could walk around at 300 lbs..Conor is still very similar natural size to the man..

Conor our of camp is 175-185, but looks solid and muscular at that..

Walk around weight doesn’t tell the whole story...a lot of it can be simply slob living.

Conor out of camp doesn’t at all look out of shape..

Ricky Fatton fought at 140 lbs after walking around 185 and higher... it all looked well out of shape. Slobbish.

He wasn’t naturally bigger than Mayweather.

Conor was a big man at FW and LW. Naturally he’s very wide and has a very strong makeup.

Khabib could walk around at 300 lbs..Conor is still very similar natural size to the man..

Walk around weight doesn’t tell the whole story...

Ricky Fatton fought at 140 lbs after walking around 185 and higher...

He wasn’t naturally bigger than Mayweather.

Ah jesus that's beyond farcical stuff walsh. Comparing boxers who are top heavy to MMA fighters is laughable. And as for walking around weight not being the whole story, it often makes all the difference in a sport that has grappling. If you're going to argue that Conor and Khabib are similar in size when one could actually fight at MW and the other can't even eat up that weight then there's no point trying to convince you.

I see you edited your post to say Conor out of camp is 175-185 and looks muscular at that. Are you trolling? The chap has no definition in his abs at 170 and has said numerous times he walks around at 170. If you think Conor Mcgregor has ever weighed 185 then you are delusional.

Ah jesus that's beyond farcical stuff walsh. Comparing boxers who are top heavy to MMA fighters is laughable. And as for walking around weight not being the whole story, it often makes all the difference in a sport that has grappling. If you're going to argue that Conor and Khabib are similar in size when one could actually fight at MW and the other can't even eat up that weight then there's no point trying to convince you.

Conor at 180 is solid and in shape and muscular.

Just because Khabib is 190-200 lbs and not near as solid as McGregor tells me everything.

Conor at 155 is ripped and muscular. Khabib at 155 looks weight drained and weaker...he gains too much out of camp..

Conor is very wide, very muscular, huge arm span, solid legs. A very solid specimen..

Khabib is only bigger because he is chunkier. That doesn’t make him at all a naturally bigger man.

I see you edited your post to say Conor out of camp is 175-185 and looks muscular at that. Are you trolling? The chap has no definition in his abs at 170 and has said numerous times he walks around at 170. If you think Conor Mcgregor has ever weighed 185 then you are delusional.

Are you saying Conor has not walked around at 175 upwards when out of camp?

I said he is solid and muscular. Never said his abs needed to be ripped..

Okay walsh, post a link to any source about Conor weighing 180lbs. If you can't then I won't be replying further. I've had a google myself and have found nothing. I'm not arguing with someone claiming their opinion as a fact when the main source (conor himself) has said otherwise many times.

Okay walsh, post a link to any source about Conor weighing 180lbs. If you can't then I won't be replying further. I've had a google myself and have found nothing. I'm not arguing with someone claiming their opinion as a fact when the main source (conor himself) has said otherwise many times.

I can’t find any link..I never claimed it fact. It was somewhat guess/assumption. Anyway, maybe someone could check it out. Can not know for certain. Like right now, what is he...?

So, 170-175 range out of camp..

Anyway, that 170-175 is still very impressive looking..

Just because a similar sized man may walk around 190-200 does not necessarily mean that man is naturally bigger, and if he is, it doesn’t have to be a clear bigger..

Khabib’s body make up is more chunkier than Conor. Conor is the more physically sculpted body. Better..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Conor at 180 is solid and in shape and muscular.

Just because Khabib is 190-200 lbs and not near as solid as McGregor tells me everything.

Conor at 155 is ripped and muscular. Khabib at 155 looks weight drained and weaker...he gains too much out of camp..

Conor is very wide, very muscular, huge arm span, solid legs. A very solid specimen..

Khabib is only bigger because he is chunkier. That doesn’t make him at all a naturally bigger man.

Fairly sure he's never been 180lbs, he stays in shape out of camp. He's admitted multiple times his walk around weight is 170lbs. He doesn't balloon between fights like Hendricks used to.

Khabib is bigger, and stronger than him, he has the frame of a wrestler. He should be fighting at welterweight really.
    Holloway is bigger than him, regularly looks like death cutting to 145.
    Aldo is probably the same weight as him, just in a smaller frame.
    Poirier is probably around the same size as well.

Conor has ridiculously wide shoulders so it makes him look bigger than he is, as well as helping with his reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Mcgregor is definitely more muscular looking than Khabib, but to me Khabib would be the naturally bigger man.
    I think looking good aesthetically is just for ego and image with Conor, of which Khabib has no interest in either.
    Aldo definitely smaller than Conor, as proven when he cut to 135, no way Conor would make that weight.
    Max has a similar looking body to Nate Diaz, soft and watery looking with little muscle.

As for Ricky Hatton, he looks like a typical slob who's spent the majority of his time drinking beer and eating poor quality food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Only Frankie and Chad were smaller than Conor at FW (from the actual contenders there). Max couldn't make LW first time he tried. Conor has no size advantage over Poirier, Aldo, Max, or Ortega.

I think Conor probably looks at WW and LW and doesn't really see or believe that he is the top dog..

He was successful for a period due to him having size advantages over smaller men.

I’m sure you made this ridiculous point before and people explained how weight cutting works.

Conor cut weight to make 145. About the same amount as Holloway and prime Aldo. All of whom looked like death getting to 145.

Khabib is bigger than Conor and struggled to make 155.

Conor is nowhere near the size of WWs.

Pretty much everything you’ve said is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:

This is nonsense. Khabib walks around much heavier and he's much taller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

eagle eye wrote: »

Khabib is much taller than Conor?

Officially they are 5'9 and 5'10.

A few years ago their walking weight would have been fairly different, now I'd say Conor walks around as heavy as Khabib, or with not a whole lot between them, he'd never make 145 now that's for sure.

Conor is broad. Khabib is bigger overall.
    Conor our of camp is 175-185, but looks solid and muscular at that..
    LMFAO.
    Conor is nowhere near 185.

Walk around weight doesn’t tell the whole story...a lot of it can be simply slob living.

Ricky Fatton fought at 140 lbs after walking around 185 and higher... it all looked well out of shape. Slobbish..
    None of the top 145/155 fighters mentioned in the thread get out of shape like Hatton. I don’t see your point here.
    Khabib is not solid???? What are you smoking man?
    He has a huge span. And carries a decent amount of muscle. He doesn’t carry more muscle than Khabib.
    So Khabib is bigger because he is bigger but that doesn’t make him a bigger man?

eagle eye wrote: »

Much taller?

And I know he “walks” around heavier..

On, Khabib naturally bigger..but not like it’s much. Walk around weight not the only criteria. They are similarly sized men..

I cannot get behind people saying Aldo same size Conor. No matter what Aldo was cutting. Conor was near or at 170 and above and coming down to 145 lbs. in ring weight at FW, Conor was likely 160 or more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

On, Khabib naturally bigger..but not like it’s much. Walk around weight not the only criteria. They are similarly sized men..

I cannot get behind people saying Aldo same size Conor. No matter what Aldo was cutting. Conor was near or at 170 and above and coming down to 145 lbs. in ring weight at FW, Conor was likely 160 or more...

Would probably agree with all of that..........while Khabib clearly has enormous core strength he's not a physical specimen .........I'd even say he'd be an average size WW

Advertisement