Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib took his soul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

ricero wrote: »
    Khabib took his soul

He has been passionately asking for the Khabib rematch since late last year and start of this year, insisting he knows how to beat him. I think it’s the journey to get to a Khabib rematch that is taking his soul right now. Hopefully it will get resolved, and 1 successful and meaningful fight this late summer will lead to a title shot in MSG or Vegas at end of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Khabib will pull out of the Gaethje fight......McGregor will step in and win handily then all roads lead to Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

He has been passionately asking for the Khabib rematch since late last year and start of this year, insisting he knows how to beat him. I think it’s the journey to get to a Khabib rematch that is taking his soul right now. Hopefully it will get resolved, and 1 successful and meaningful fight this late summer will lead to a title shot in MSG or Vegas at end of year.

He could cut the drama and actually get in the Octagon against the top 5 in the 155 division [at 155]

• Registered Users Posts: 37,812 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gintonious wrote:
    Right...so fight the guy who Gaethje stopped at 155 because it made financial sense. A fighter who lost his previous 2 fights at 155 (the most recent being on a fight night card), nothing to do with it being an easier fight, sounds legit.
    You do not seem to understand how big of a name Cowboy is. Cowboy don't es advertisements on US TV.
    Gaethje was unknown to the casual before he fought Tony.
    Gintonious wrote:
    It's about attention, simple as that. He would have gotten the same pay if he fought Gaethje over Cowboy, but probably wouldn't have gotten the win.
    Attentions is money. It's about money. How many UFC fighters do you know with their own whiskey or anything like it?
    Gintonious wrote:
    He is not getting in the cage for a fight with a fighter in his prime after a long layoff, I think you mean.
    He'd have jumped in with Khabib again if given the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

eagle eye wrote: »
    You do not seem to understand how big of a name Cowboy is. Cowboy don't es advertisements on US TV.
    Gaethje was unknown to the casual before he fought Tony.

Attentions is money. It's about money. How many UFC fighters do you know with their own whiskey or anything like it?

He'd have jumped in with Khabib again if given the opportunity.

Cowboy maybe was a draw at one point, but you are trying to tell me he was still a draw at a weight above his over a fighter he was smoked by in the fight previous. Cowboy was the easy fight for McGregor, Stevie Wonder could see that, and after seeing what Gaethje did to Ferguson a few weeks back, you can see why McGregor didn't want him.

All UFC fighters want attention, but most of them do it through fighting, not through their 3rd retirement announcement.

I am sure McGregor would jump in again Khabib again, of course he is going to say that along with the excuses he had after he was beaten. Thing is though, he vanished after that and just went on social media to try and get a rematch and skip over other fighters in the process, so he goes to 170 and beats a journeyman so get a shot at the title at 155, doesn't look like he is going to get that for a while so he "retires". Sounds legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Eh, Gaethje just fought the contender to get a title shot. Why should he put his chance on the line?
    He shouldn't risk it, and I never suggested he should. :confused:
    He'd be insane to risk the title shot against Conor now.

I assume you missed what was said previously. My post was in response to somebody who said that instead of Gaethje he needs to fight a contender before Khabib. And that he needs to look for a fight with somebody that is worth a damn. That's complete nonsense, and your point, although correct in itself, doesn't change that.

Gintonious wrote:
    Cowboy maybe was a draw at one point, but you are trying to tell me he was still a draw at a weight above his over a fighter he was smoked by in the fight previous. Cowboy was the easy fight for McGregor, Stevie Wonder could see that, and after seeing what Gaethje did to Ferguson a few weeks back, you can see why McGregor didn't want him.
    And McGregor wanted Gaethje after Ferguson.
    Nobody is denying that Cowboy was the easier fight but it was also the bigger money fight. Win, win for McGregor.
    Gintonious wrote:
    All UFC fighters want attention, but most of them do it through fighting, not through their 3rd retirement announcement.
    He's doing it because they're not give him a fight. They want to hold him out until the fans are back. He does 20 million live gates, nobody else does that. He is the biggest cash cow the UFC have ever had.
    Gintonious wrote:
    I am sure McGregor would jump in again Khabib again, of course he is going to say that along with the excuses he had after he was beaten. Thing is though, he vanished after that and just went on social media to try and get a rematch and skip over other fighters in the process, so he goes to 170 and beats a journeyman so get a shot at the title at 155, doesn't look like he is going to get that for a while so he "retires". Sounds legit.
    This all sounds like you just do not like McGregor and no matter what anybody says you are going to keep beating the same stupid drum.
    I don't think you've seen me praise him anywhere in my posts. I'm just pointing out the obvious, all his decisions are about money. To use your saying, even Stevie Wonder could see that.
    Also no MMA fighter is afraid to get in the ring with anybody, that's a stupid opinion to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

One fight from gaethje and everyone thinks he is a worldbeater that Conor is afraid of.

lets not forget at one stage he was a Lobov with a hook, the only time he got mentioned was when 90% of people asked "why does he defend with his head and not use his top level wrestling"

The fighters are right about the money, Jones is right, if you want a superfight from him he wants super money. its a disgrace ( I get fighters signed the deal but where else could they go), the athletic did a good piece on fighter salary last week ( can't link as its on the app) in one instance basically a fighter made $65k at an overseas event, that country taxed him, US taxed him, after paying cornermen etc he got less thank 20K and lets be honest if it wasn't for Conor you would be lucky if any fighter ever got 1m to fight.

look at boxing. Wilder v ortiz 2 for example, wilder got 3million for a fight that did 275k buys.
    UFC greatest HW Stipe v Cormier does 400k buys but stipe gets $750k flat.

again I know its what they signed but its madness

Conor did the belt thing, did what he said, now its all about the money, he wants to set his family up for generations without ending up like Ali and not enjoy it.

My guess is him and jones to make a return in the Allegiant stadium!

You would think if he cannot get a Khabib or Gatyche fight just now, he would just do the Nate 3 fight for July and get it out of the way.
    But I don’t think Conor has any interest in fighting in an empty stadium, not sure if the crowds will be back for July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But I don’t think Conor has any interest in fighting in an empty stadium, not sure if the crowds will be back for July.

July in on the Island, not in the Stadium. Headliners are set

Mellor wrote: »
    July in on the Island, not in the Stadium. Headliners are set

Yeah, guess it’s too late now to resolve Conor situation for July anyway. TS all very similar to ufc 200, back then they resolved the issues and he fought August and November. Hopefully something similar happens here and we get 2 more fights from him as per his plan at start of year.
    I didn’t think they had a headline for July as Usman, Masvidal fell apart. I think Colby deserves a quick rematch there if nobody else for Usman. Is Usman vs Burns set for July??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And McGregor wanted Gaethje after Ferguson.
    Nobody is denying that Cowboy was the easier fight but it was also the bigger money fight. Win, win for McGregor.

It was the easier fight, that is the biggest reason for him fighting Cowboy. If he wanted Gaethje or Ferguson, he would have fought at 155.

He's doing it because they're not give him a fight. They want to hold him out until the fans are back. He does 20 million live gates, nobody else does that. He is the biggest cash cow the UFC have ever had.

He has plenty of time off without covid to fight, and he didn't. He is doing it to try and stay relevant, even look at the amount of people that don't buy it at all, Joe Rogan said it at the UFC even this past weekend. No one is buying it.
    This all sounds like you just do not like McGregor and no matter what anybody says you are going to keep beating the same stupid drum.
    I don't think you've seen me praise him anywhere in my posts. I'm just pointing out the obvious, all his decisions are about money. To use your saying, even Stevie Wonder could see that.
    Also no MMA fighter is afraid to get in the ring with anybody, that's a stupid opinion to have.

I was a big McGregor fan at one point, but with all of the garbage he has been involved with with punching people in a pubs, throwing a dolly at a bus and general lack of activity, you'll forgive me for not wanting my seat on the bandwagon anymore. Tires me when he makes a song and dance about fighting and maybe getting a title again, and then off he goes...again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

So dana confirmed conor turned down ferguson fight.. Said he's not a replacement fighter so he won't fight ferguson

dave1982 wrote:
    So dana confirmed conor turned down ferguson fight.. Said he's not a replacement fighter so he won't fight ferguson

No money in it, it doesn't do anything for McGregor even in the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

dave1982 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1270401116895764481?s=09

Are we meant to be believing Dana's lies now?

Now the August headliner is taken with Stipe vs Cormier. And September is maybe Khabib vs Gatyche. Conor is running out of options. What started off so promising this year with a big motivation and good attitude, is now turning to sh1t. I think the biggest problem now is Conor not willing to accept anything other than the star billing. Hope he will still fight and headline, and win, in October and December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Now the August headliner is taken with Stipe vs Cormier. And September is maybe Khabib vs Gatyche. Conor is running out of options. What started off so promising this year with a big motivation and good attitude, is now turning to sh1t. I think the biggest problem now is Conor not willing to accept anything other than the star billing. Hope he will still fight and headline, and win, in October and December.

And why shouldn't he? He's the biggest draw for the company by an order of magnitude. Perhaps they ought to stop ****ing over their biggest star ( and all the other fighters) and make something happen. Gaethje ought to push for the fight with McGregor. He'd make a ton of money, and if he believes he can beat Khabib, then presumably he backs himself to beat McGregor too. Strike while the Iron is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Now that he's retired from MMA and given his final interview can we lock the thread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Now that he's retired from MMA and given his final interview can we lock the thread ?

Says the guy who just can’t help himself reading every post in it like some scorned lover!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭robwen

Sure that was during the height of the pandemic you could say Khabib turned it down to then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Still Ill

And why shouldn't he? He's the biggest draw for the company by an order of magnitude. Perhaps they ought to stop ****ing over their biggest star ( and all the other fighters) and make something happen. Gaethje ought to push for the fight with McGregor. He'd make a ton of money, and if he believes he can beat Khabib, then presumably he backs himself to beat McGregor too. Strike while the Iron is hot.

Maybe some fighters might have a career-long ambition to win a belt in the biggest promotion on the planet? **** McGregor in this instance. He chose a can over a contender and refused to step up for an interim fight. He may be the biggest draw, but he gets no say in who deserves to fight for the belt. He can take his hissy fit and retire with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

Seems a bit daft and hard to understand. Tony was very beatable for Conor - not saying he would have won, but had a great chance - and would've been a fast-track to a $$$ title shot.

Whether he cares more about money or prestige, either way it just doesn't make that much sense to turn it down.

And to be honest, no MMA fan would be surprised if Tony overwhelmed Conor either. At this level, Conor can't win them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Annd9

Homelander wrote: »
    Seems a bit daft and hard to understand. Tony was very beatable for Conor - not saying he would have won, but had a great chance - and would've been a fast-track to a $$$ title shot.

Whether he cares more about money or prestige, either way it just doesn't make that much sense to turn it down.

And to be honest, no MMA fan would be surprised if Tony overwhelmed Conor either. At this level, Conor can't win them all.

People are forgetting Irish citizens were banned from traveling to America at that stage , how could he have stepped in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Justin said it best on the Rogan podcast recently ,Conor has lost touch with his own popularity ,Said himself and other fighters know Conor can no longer demand what he wants and has lost respect among fighters and they just laugh at him now ,

No body cares about him anymore ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Justin said it best on the Rogan podcast recently ,Conor has lost touch with his own popularity ,Said himself and other fighters know Conor can no longer demand what he wants and has lost respect among fighters and they just laugh at him now ,

No body cares about him anymore ,

2 fights and 12 minutes in the Octagon in almost 4 years. Theres only so much talking someone can do to try stay relevant.

The Nal wrote: »
    2 fights and 12 minutes in the Octagon in almost 4 years. Theres only so much talking someone can do to try stay relevant.

It’s such a shame. He worked so much to get to the top of the sport, then when he was there he became the brand and more than the sport, and spent his prime years then acting like a tool but still counting the money coming in. Such a shame as Ireland will never produce another like him. He was our 1 true global sports megastar, up there with Jordan, Brady, Messi, Ronaldo, Mayweather, Woods, Hamilton. From the sporting side he f*ked it all up and will regret that when he physically cannot do it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

How'd you work that out? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Some season all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I think you need to work on your maths.

Advertisement