Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

A lot of people posting on forums saying this is the death of Stadia. Don't see how. An exclusive or 2 would be nice but just give me the big AAA third party games and I'll be happy. That needs to be the focus and that's what they're doing.
    Down the line they can just do what Microsoft are doing and buy some big studios if they want.
    Its not just about the internal studios, they have also announced a change in their business model with a focus on selling the streaming tech to 3rd parties. They are shifting from a gaming service to a platform service. I have to agree with other people. It Sounds like the beginning of the end to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Its not just about the internal studios, they have also announced a change in their business model with a focus on selling the streaming tech to 3rd parties. They are shifting from a gaming service to a platform service. I have to agree with other people. It Sounds like the beginning of the end to me.

If it does turn out to be the beginning of the end, that's gonna mean a lot less gaming for me. I can't see myself replacing it with a new Xbox or PS5. My gaming time on tv is limited as it is. I don't want to get locked in to a subscription service either where the game you are playing one day disappears the next month or the new game you want to play day one will hopefully end up on GamePass within 3 years if you're lucky.

I don't see it as the end of Stadia. Just a shift in focus. One they probably should have adopted from the very beginning.

If it does turn out to be the beginning of the end, that's gonna mean a lot less gaming for me. I can't see myself replacing it with a new Xbox or PS5. My gaming time on tv is limited as it is. I don't want to get locked in to a subscription service either where the game you are playing one day disappears the next month or the new game you want to play day one will hopefully end up on GamePass within 3 years if you're lucky.

I don't see it as the end of Stadia. Just a shift in focus. One they probably should have adopted from the very beginning.

Its going to result in a segmented market where major publishers use Stadia streaming tech to stream their own libraries. Ea, Ubisoft and of course Sony could do with new tech. All these 3rd parties doing their own streaming.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id be the same - I have my gaming PC for when I really want to play something. The stadia is probably used more than any console or the pc Ive had. Its just so easy to pick up and play. I even bought the division 2 on Sunday,linked to my pc account and have started playing Division 2 on my stadia instead of the pc where I left off...thats brilliant.

What they do need is the COD series, Battlefield series and then Stadia would be probably gain a lot more subscribers.

Its going to result in a segmented market where major publishers use Stadia streaming tech to stream their own libraries. Ea, Ubisoft and of course Sony could do with new tech. All these 3rd parties doing their own streaming.

That would be a nightmare. It's like TV streaming. A few years ago your options were Netflix. And that was it. And it had loads to offer. Now we have Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Hulu, Sky/HBO. Everything getting split into it's own store where different things are in different places. It's a dose.
    If gaming goes like that I'll probably end up playing only on Nintendo. Which is fine but it's better to have options.

GamePass, Uplay, PS Now. Even if I just subscribed to those 3 that's about €30 per month. No thanks. I just want to buy the game I'm interested in, preferably while it's on sale, and play it. And repeat.

• Advertisement

That would be a nightmare. It's like TV streaming. A few years ago your options were Netflix. And that was it. And it had loads to offer. Now we have Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Hulu, Sky/HBO. Everything getting split into it's own store where different things are in different places. It's a dose.
    If gaming goes like that I'll probably end up playing only on Nintendo. Which is fine but it's better to have options.

GamePass, Uplay, PS Now. Even if I just subscribed to those 3 that's about €30 per month. No thanks. I just want to buy the game I'm interested in, preferably while it's on sale, and play it. And repeat.
    I'm the same and I refuse to sign up to all these services. I think the right way to use multiple services is to hop between them depending on whats on offer. Sign up for Netflix for a moth, watch a couple of seasons. Then switch to Disney, watch a couple of seasons. It would be the same for games but I agree I really don't like it id rather just buy the games I want to play.

I'm in need of a PC upgrade and had decided I'd wait for Game Pass streaming to come to PC and see how that goes. If I like it I was going to use Stadia to buy the new 3rd party big titles that don't come to game pass.

I've game pass for another 3 years and a series X so im covered. But I was considering Stadia as a PC alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

ah this sucks really bad
    with this uncertainty around the platform why would you buy another game from them?

They shut a game studio. They're not shutting the platform. Two very different things. They're making Stadia the place where you stream 3rd party games. I don't see a reason to be worried about the platform being shut because they shut a game dev studio. There's more money to be made being the platform than being the game dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Maybe I'm biased because I use stadia as a secondary platform but I think it's blown out of proportion to be honest. Yes they have shut down a studio but if they are going to more of a platform for 3rd party games like Steam then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm biased because I use stadia as a secondary platform but I think it's blown out of proportion to be honest. Yes they have shut down a studio but if they are going to more of a platform for 3rd party games like Steam then happy days.

Games need to be developed for them specifically. Stadia is more akin to a console, than a PC really.

For xcloud, the nvidia and amazon cloud gaming solutions, they can take the existing pc (i think xcloud could be Xbox) versions and tweak them a bit if at all. For Sony they are just running the PlayStation games in the cloud.

IMO, google closing there studio, shows they have little confidence in stadia long term. Why should 3rd party dev, who again will have to port to their platform bother, when even google doesn't think they can make money off exclusive games on their own platform.

IMO, long term this will damage stadia. Just image if Nintendo, Sony or MS closed down there first party studio's all of a sudden, most people would rightly see it as the beginning of the end of there platforms.

• Advertisement

DeSelby83 wrote: »

100% this. I don't want to have to buy a PC or spend €500 on a new console that's barely in stock right now. I just want an easy way to play games. Stadia and Nintendo Switch are the masters of that right now. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I think it is blown out of proportion too but I can also understand the reduced customer confidence.

After a mediocre start to the year, very light Pro offerings this month and the news from yesterday, Google needs to come out with some huge announcements and drop some serious AAA games into the catalogue to restore confidence. If they do this, it shows they are still investing heavily and that game developers still trust them. If we go to the end of Feb without many new notable additions, I would be getting concerned alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Don't forget to pick up the monthly games with pro :)

https://stadia.google.com/store/list/2001

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The business model was always going to change, customers could see that from the start.
    Always needed to be a Netflix style / Gamepass style service.
    Then allow for individual purchases secondly.

Google should have never got involved in gaming anything past an indie level studio. Shutting SG&E was inevitable to me, unless they were going to use those guys to help port games onto the platform, they weren't needed.

If Stadia can position itself as the Geforce Now, for the console market, I think that's where they need to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Once the smart TV apps start appearing later this year, then hopefully it will pick up some traction. The platform has serious potential, but like most things Google, they are pretty rubbish when it comes to marketing.

Smart Tv apps will be a huge boost. And if you can play on your tv with any controller.

They shut a game studio. They're not shutting the platform. Two very different things. They're making Stadia the place where you stream 3rd party games. I don't see a reason to be worried about the platform being shut because they shut a game dev studio. There's more money to be made being the platform than being the game dev.
    They're selling the tech to 3rd parties so that they can do the streaming service bit, Google will do the tech behind it. Its a shift from a game streaming service model to a behind the scenes technology platform as a service. It will be an arm of their cloud business. Database, Web hosting, file server, machine learning etc etc and now game streaming.

Breaking news: FIFA 21 just announced for release next month on dead platform.

https://stadiasource.com/article/1437/FIFA-21-Announced-for-March-17-Release

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Sorry for hijacking the demise of stadia conversation but is there a way to actually get onto stadia without signing up to the one month trial? I've tried the Stadia premier/controller offer site, the android app and chrome on the desktop. all of which funnel me to the same sign up page. i just want to have a look before i commit to anything. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

No brainer for Ea, more money to be made from ultimate team.

If stadia get Warzone next they would be laughing.

Fifa and warzone without the need for a pc/console would be massive.

• Advertisement

twinex wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the demise of stadia conversation but is there a way to actually get onto stadia without signing up to the one month trial? I've tried the Stadia premier/controller offer site, the android app and chrome on the desktop. all of which funnel me to the same sign up page. i just want to have a look before i commit to anything. Thanks

You can play Destiny 2 and Bomberman for free. Think there's a way of skipping sign up. But if not, just sign up and cancel Pro straight away. Won't cost you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

As a pretty much non-gamer this is the news I've been waiting for. I'll be signing up for Stadia just for FIFA and I suspect I won't be the only one.

Any offers doing the rounds?

As a pretty much non-gamer this is the news I've been waiting for. I'll be signing up for Stadia just for FIFA and I suspect I won't be the only one.

Any offers doing the rounds?

Madden released last week at €33. Fifa will probably be the same. Don't think there's any deals right now for the Stadia Premier Edition. But if you're playing on laptop or tablet you don't need that.
    And despite what websites tell you, you don't need an active subscription to play any game you've bought on Stadia. Just buy it and play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Madden released last week at €33. Fifa will probably be the same. Don't think there's any deals right now for the Stadia Premier Edition. But if you're playing on laptop or tablet you don't need that.
    And despite what websites tell you, you don't need an active subscription to play any game you've bought on Stadia. Just buy it and play it.

Cheers - I have an Nvidia Shield and a Shield controller - I know there's no official Stadia app for the Shield but I've read that there's workarounds so I'll probably use that.

Question (and probably a stupid one at that!) - can you play against people on other platforms like X-Box etc through Stadia?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

You can play Destiny 2 and Bomberman for free. Think there's a way of skipping sign up. But if not, just sign up and cancel Pro straight away. Won't cost you anything.

Thanks a lot. The Destiny advice worked!

Cheers - I have an Nvidia Shield and a Shield controller - I know there's no official Stadia app for the Shield but I've read that there's workarounds so I'll probably use that.

Question (and probably a stupid one at that!) - can you play against people on other platforms like X-Box etc through Stadia?

Some (not many) have cross play. You'd need to look up on a game by game basis which ones do. I think the likes of Destiny does. Same as how most games on Xbox aren't yet cross play with Playstation. Only games like Fortnite, Rocket League and a few others are.
    There are no stupid questions. Ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I got Madden on launch day and love it. I'll be getting FIFA as well. As a casual gamer Stadia suits me down to the ground.

I got Madden on launch day and love it. I'll be getting FIFA as well. As a casual gamer Stadia suits me down to the ground.

Same. I didn't have Pro when the Madden free trial went live but my mates all had it so they tried it out. Once they gave it the thumbs up and bought it I bought it too. Hadn't played a Madden in years. I've lots to learn.
    Will be getting fifa day one for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Same. I didn't have Pro when the Madden free trial went live but my mates all had it so they tried it out. Once they gave it the thumbs up and bought it I bought it too. Hadn't played a Madden in years. I've lots to learn.
    Will be getting fifa day one for sure.

I have my Stadia a year. I play F1, sniper games and sports.

I loved Cyberpunk. The system has worked perfectly for me and i have two set ups in house. The kids play monster trucks and farm sim.

This type of gaming is the way forwards, its fast, portable and no waiting on updates. As the library develops it will only get better.

The problem is the Xbox and PS fan boys who can't see past their platforms. They are like the Apple fan boys who refuse to even look at android devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Any good deals on Stadia (Premiere) going at the moment?

EDIT: Sorry just saw some of the responses above. Seems to be none at the moment.

Advertisement