Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexico Vs Ulster ultimate epic super build up thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't buy that. He was a Lion and now he's behind Ed. Byrne.

Surely has to be more to it than a loss of form?

I know he spoken publicly about depression.

It's pretty obvious he's not at the races. I have a lot of sympathy for him and you might be right, he could having his own personal struggles that are preventing him from reaching his best. But the video speaks for itself, Ed Byrne is the better player at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

troyzer wrote:
    It's pretty obvious he's not at the races. I have a lot of sympathy for him and you might be right, he could having his own personal struggles that are preventing him from reaching his best. But the video speaks for itself, Ed Byrne is the better player at the moment.

Must be very tough going.

I think I'll leave it at that though.

Must be very tough going.

I think I'll leave it at that though.

Yeah. If the rumours are true and he heads to Ulster, I hope the fresh start will clear the weeds and he comes back strong. He's a great player and a good lad as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

troyzer wrote: »
    Yeah. If the rumours are true and he heads to Ulster, I hope the fresh start will clear the weeds and he comes back strong. He's a great player and a good lad as well.

Needs to get rid of that tash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't buy that. He was a Lion and now he's behind Ed. Byrne.

Surely has to be more to it than a loss of form?

I know he spoken publicly about depression.

Ah here. Steady on.

He got injured in November and needed surgery. He got back more quickly than expected but hasn't looked right since.

The guy has been a top class player and a model of test-level consistency for five years. He's entitled to a dip without people speculating about his mental state.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The guy has been a top class player and a model of test-level consistency for five years. He's entitled to a dip without people speculating about his mental state.

What's the difference between speculating about a players physical health (happens here wholesale) and their mental health?

Is discussing mental health in rugby somehow taboo?

Ah here. Steady on.

He got injured in November and needed surgery. He got back more quickly than expected but hasn't looked right since.

What's the difference between speculating about a players physical health (happens here wholesale) and their mental health?

Battle of the virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Discussing health with no evidence is taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I can't believe this has to be explained but when an injury happens on the pitch then generally you see what has happened to the player and have a rough idea of what the injury is. You have pulled this notion that McGrath is suffering from mental health issues out of your ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Lads there is thing called GDPR, which means peoples health is a private matter unless they themselves chose to reveal it. Its why the media went into gossip mode when Murray didnt reveal his reason for injury.

Maybe we should respect the players right to privacy?

• Advertisement

...I know he spoken publicly about depression.

Worth emphasizing that that's the only thing I said.

Worth emphasizing that that's the only thing I said.

You left it hanging there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

OK. I am going to explain this, please read it and consider it.

If a player breaks his arm, and people rejoice on social media because it means he's out of the team and their pet player gets a run, then that's unfortunate but if the player sees those comments, his arm won't heal any more slowly.

However, if a player does have some deeper issues, and he sees comments from people like you about it on social media, then there is a risk that the player's issues get worse and we get into a downward spiral.

That's the difference.

There has been absolutely no suggestion that any of this applies to McGrath, of course, but even if it did, this is absolutely not the place to throw around speculation about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Lads there is thing called GDPR, which means peoples health is a private matter unless they themselves chose to reveal it. Its why the media went into gossip mode when Murray didnt reveal his reason for injury.

Maybe we should respect the players right to privacy?

The scope of GDPR gets broader by the day on this site.

You left it hanging there.

Precisely.

Whether deliberate or not the way the post is written is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

elefant wrote: »
    The scope of GDPR gets broader by the day on this site.

People don't understand what GDPR actually is and just spout it out randomly these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

People don't understand what GDPR actually is and just spout it out randomly these days.

Ah GDPR the new Health and Safety of our time

I know perfectly well what gdpr is- fact remains people do not have to disclouse actual illness now once certified. This creates a vacuum for gossip to thrive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Lads there is thing called GDPR, which means peoples health is a private matter unless they themselves chose to reveal it.

people have had a right to privacy (especially around sensitive things like health records) for some time now, GDPR has not changed anything there

Riskymove wrote: »
    people have had a right to privacy (especially around sensitive things like health records) for some time now, GDPR has not changed anything there

GDPR has tightened rules around disclosure of illnessses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

There is still something very suspect going on on the release or not of medical issues. From all in the open. To closed, private, personal, none of your business. But only in some cases.
    And what we see from the likes of Murray and Leavy, is that if we all saw the injury happen, the diagnosis and prognosis are released. No worry about it being personal info. If we dont see it happen, its personal to the player.
    The pattern give some credibility to the dodgy nature of the unreleased ones, and no surprise that speculation and rumour fill the gap. If they drew a veil over all such info, there would be consistency and credibility. But releasing info on a clear break, ligament tear, etc, undermines the privacy argument for the cloudy ones.

There is still something very suspect going on on the release or not of medical issues. From all in the open. To closed, private, personal, none of your business. But only in some cases.
    And what we see from the likes of Murray and Leavy, is that if we all saw the injury happen, the diagnosis and prognosis are released. No worry about it being personal info. If we dont see it happen, its personal to the player.
    The pattern give some credibility to the dodgy nature of the unreleased ones, and no surprise that speculation and rumour fill the gap. If they drew a veil over all such info, there would be consistency and credibility. But releasing info on a clear break, ligament tear, etc, undermines the privacy argument for the cloudy ones.

The player decides whether or not they want it to be public. It's not suspect at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Leavy out for RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I've posted this on reddit and twitter to see if anyone knows better, but as far as I can tell this game had 462 attempted tackles, and I can't find another game that even comes close to that number. Ireland v New Zealand 386 is the next highest I have found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

errlloyd wrote: »
    I've posted this on reddit and twitter to see if anyone knows better, but as far as I can tell this game had 462 attempted tackles, and I can't find another game that even comes close to that number. Ireland v New Zealand 386 is the next highest I have found.

A future pub quiz question to make us proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Clegg wrote: »
    H2H

Ringrose v Cave: LOL

Snigger. Ringrose wasn't that bad after all.:D:D:D:D

jacothelad wrote: »
    Snigger. Ringrose wasn't that bad after all.:D:D:D:D

My own personal favourite was "Fardy Vs Henderson: Even"

The best thing about the parity between the teams at the weekend is that Ulster are fairly decent again and we don't need to be on eggshells around Bliston anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My own personal favourite was "Fardy Vs Henderson: Even"
    I heard Treadwell found Fardy buried in his back pocket on Sunday morning when throwing his shorts in the wash.

Advertisement