Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭jj880

Skyrim VR down from 60 euro to 15 euro on Steam.

Not great unmodded hence the Steam store reviews. 1 of the best PCVR games after modding apparently. Anyone successfully modded it? Im reading it takes a bit of effort.

Red Matter 2.

40% off at 17.99.

Great game with top visuals for standalone.

Also gift cards now available to buy in Ireland here:

Can select any value from 15 to 100 euro.

Redeemable in the wallet section of mobile app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

PS Remote Play on Quest

This is something I had googled and always seemed very convoluted. I followed a newer guide and got it working over the weeked.

It looks amazing, I have a 1080p TV so doesn't feel like a step down from 4k quality. In fact playing on a massive screen is great.

I played some Helldivers 2 and it works great, I was in a voice party with my brother and that wasn't great. As a workaround I joined the voice party on my phone using earbuds (in passthrough mode). Chat quality was perfect and I could still hear the game.

Steps:

1. Install file browser using SideQuest (getting side quest working is very easy, you just need a laptop/computer)
    2. Install PS app and remote play app (download the apk from the web, I used UptoDown)
    3. Log into PS App
    4. Log into Remote Play App (do it in this order)
    5. Connect your controller (hold Share button and PS button for a few seconds), Bluetooth settings in quest.
    6. Set up remote play using the app and your PS.
    7. Stretch the screen to whatever size you want it (every time you do anything with screen size, or change app on the quest, remote play disconnects).
    8. I had a problem where it wouldn't connect. I restarted the PS5 and it work.

This is the guide I followed.

https://www.inverse.com/tech/quest-3-playstation-remote-play-mixed-reality

Games catalogue being added to Meta+ subscription on March 1st. Titles to be rotated in and out to keep it fresh. Initial games:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

So u get all those instead of the usual 2 each month?

The article reads like the catalogue is in addition to the 2 monthly games. Thats how it sounds to me anyway:

Next month’s picks are multiplayer military shooter Contractors and narrative-driven immersive puzzler Shadow Point. And if you’ve already subscribed (or you join by February 29), be sure to download our February titles: I Expect You To Die and DYSCHRONIA: Chronos Alternate.

But wait, there’s more! On March 1, we’re introducing a new games catalog

Perhaps Meta upping their game for when the 6 months free Meta+ runs out for a lot of Quest 3 owners...

I love the new hacks people are doing to put the Apple Vision Pro strap on their Quests. Apparently very comfy... also v portable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

more of a vent here than anything else, but my god, the meta support is by a long way the worst I have ever encountered. a shambles doesnt even cover it.

So, I ordered the quest with a discount offer of a free head strap. Meta messed up the order, cancelled it and when I went to reorder, told me that the offer was gone and I'd have to pay full price. Now, as it turns out, it seems the meta head straps are crap, so the bobovr one is better, but even so, it was a cock up by them that cost me €60

I get the headset, a present for my 12 year old daughter. I went about getting the €30 referral through here. That takes about a week and a load of emails to meta and confirmation. far more hassle than it should be. Anyway, eventually comes through. Buy a couple of games, set up the VR for my daughter, Christmas is all good.

Then the start of it. She gets a message saying to verify her age. When I see it, I see the under 13s have to have parental supervision. So I set that up with my meta account and add myself to it, upload her ID to verify age, but nothing works. Then her account is suspended. No correspondence or checks, just suspended. Try sort it. No luck. A load of bots and automated responses. Twitter helps a bit, but it just gives me another person saying they'll look into it. So looking at the meta forum, its a common problem, with no solution from meta. So the best solution is to factory reset, start over by adding the child under the adult account, rather than the other way around. And then to contact meta to get the games refunded/transferred. Do that, have her set up, go look for refunds.

4 weeks after they suspended her, they tell me the 14 days for refunds has passed. But you suspended her and took 4 weeks to come back, how can I get the 14 days if you do that? silence, we're sorry, we'll look into it. Thank you for your patience. Then, 6 weeks later, an email "your account was restored, sorry". 3 minutes later, "verify your age, your account is suspended". So there is no point in even trying to go back to the original account.

Eventually, they refund 2 of the games. The referral credit? nothing, no response, wont even answer me. So I go about loading games back up, with the sharing set up, I set it up on my account, and add it to hers. I get some of the in app add ons for beat sabre. But they dont show up. So now, I see that while you can share apps, you cant share the in app purchase. Bloody hell. So I'll go get a refund and just put it directly on her account instead. Oh no you wont, meta wont refund in app purchases. So now I've wasted even more money again.

Its a clusterf of woeful support network. I'm sure shes happy playing the few games on it and getting the VR experience, but as a company and support, it leaves a lot to be desired. I see on the support forums people have lost far more than I have, so maybe count myself lucky in some ways, but things that should be really simple really arent and they have no method of actually providing support, just auto responses that try appease people.

Anyway, long rant over. I wish I knew a lot about this before I bought it. I never expected it to be this time consuming and difficult.

Thats shocking. Luckily haven't had to use support much but from the referral thread here posters have said contacting Meta through WhatsApp gets the best results.

Ive not bothered with parent / child stuff on any gaming platform after losing money buying a game years ago. Dont even think it was anything age inappropriate either. Fifa or something but there are lots of rules you wouldn't expect which is fair enough to protect younger players. Since then any accounts were setup with over 18 DOB with a copy of any apps on my phone to keep an eye on group chats etc. Not saying this is what anyone else should do but worked for us and saved a lot of hassle.

• Advertisement

I set my account as main on the quest and then created an account for my son. It was so hindered by age restrictions he couldn't even add friends or have voice chats with his friends.

I nuked his account and everyone just uses the same account now. Mostly the games we play don't overlap so it's not a problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I wasnt sure of the set up of creating meta accounts etc, so set my daughter up with a dummy facebook page and had her age down as 13 instead of 12. So when we couldnt verify her age, it was suspended. I'm not sure why they picked up on the fact that she was a child, she doesnt go into community based games so there was no reason for it to be an issue that way. The only way I could be sure they wouldnt suspend the account again was to go through the proper adult created child account.

Some absolute horror stories on the meta forum of people getting accounts suspended for no reason at all.

I mean if it gets to that stage just p1rate games... lots on reddit and it's outrageously simple with an app that does it all

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know is there anywhere you can watch VR live sport now that Sky Worlds has been shuttered?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

Finally stopped being lazy yesterday and hooked up my Quest 3 to my PC so I could try both flight simulator and Euro truck simulator 2 I used Steamlink, but perhaps in the future I will buy Virtual Desktop, as I heard you can get better performance and visuals out of the headset that way or is it worth getting a link cable off Amazon?

Eurotruck Simulator 2 is definitely more fun to play in VR as you really get to see the size of the trucks and it is easier to judge distances. Especially when going around roundabouts although those did give me some motion sickness. Flight Simulator was also great in VR although for some reason my view was off it felt like I was riding side saddle when sitting in the cockpit.

I'm thinking of getting a new head strap to make things more comfortable, especially if I am using the headset for a few hours at a time.

And if I buy the above, is it also worth spending a bit extra and getting a new facial interface?

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Julez

I've found Steamlink to be very good, but need to be relatively close to my router and its a decent gaming wifi 6 router which I think makes a difference.

If I'm far away the picture looks a bit more washed out and much lower res. But up close it looks as good as if it wired.

I got this headstrap with battery from KiwiDesign. It is so much more comfortable than the default strap. I would highly recommend. I wanted the extra battery.

Despite my Elite strap with battery working with no problems, I got an email from Meta today saying they are sending me a new one, and no need to return the old one.

I guess that's handy in case the existing one snaps or summat.

Definitely handy to use the 2nd one when the battery on the first one stops holding a charge though.

Just got Boneworks in the Steam Sale. Really like the physics and the overall feel of the game is just really cool. The audio is amazing also.

Much better than Bonelab although I havent played Bonelab since launch so maybe it has some good mods now.

Quest 3s leaks

- Cheaper

- 256gb

- Quest 3 chipset

- Quest 2 lenses

• Advertisement

sooo... the Rift S was the budget version of the Rift?

🤣 Yea Im not convinced this is legit to be honest. Surely it will be a Quest 3 with 256gb if anything...

https://www.currys.ie/products/meta-quest-2-vr-gaming-headset-128-gb-10226485.html

Quest 2 128gb for 240 euro in Currys.

Same price as Amazon when you get to checkout with import fees.

Not sure what to make of it. Sure theyre offloading stock but at the same time its still a great entry point to VR with a great library (compared to PSVR2 at present).

Meta have sold a lot of Quest 2 units to stop support any time soon. If you have a good PC it's also a great buy.

EDIT: and as always if you buy theres 30 euro free credit available over in the referrals thread ======>

prob best posting it in the BA forum for those who don't follow this thread (which would be those without Quest 2 headsets) :)

I signed up for the free month of Quest + last night and installed Walkabout Golf. Have to say I love it so far. Challenging but fun.

Done. On the money as usual mrcheez.

Should be bundled with the Quest in my opinion. I'll add the trailer to the Bargain Alert thread.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hi all.

2 questions...

1. For playing steam games on a meta quest (hl alyx for example), what should I expect to pay for a PC capable of that?

2. If PC gaming on a quest, is there a reason to go quest 3 Vs quest 2?

I'm not convinced there's enough draw for me with the quest alone, but a quest + PC is a pretty substantial outlay I think.

1. I have a PC that is capable of playing HL Alyx. Its a Scan custom build i7 cpu, 16gb RAM, RTX 970 4gb. It plays HL Alyx on Quest 2, low gfx settings at 72fps wireless through Virtual Desktop no problem. Amazing game. It has no problems running more recent games also. Vertigo 2 released last year is excellent on my setup.

You could pick up a PC like that these days easily for 400 euro probably less as its 13 years old. It will do me for now. For something more future proof and to run games at higher settings now you'd want to spend more. Its a tough question to answer. I guess if we had a budget for headset + PC or just headset we could advise more.

2. I dont have Quest 3. Plenty others here do though.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thanks! That's good to know.

If I felt the quest 3 on its own would be a good enough gaming experience (granted I don't have much time for gaming as it is) I'd probably get a quest 3, but the more I read the more I probably want to run steam games which means buying a PC.

For the very casual gamer that I am, it certainly sounds like a quest 2 and a somewhat dated desktop. Budget is probably as cheap as possible tbh, without ruining the VR experience. Been a long time since I built a PC, so knowing what's good/sufficient will take a bit of research.

• Advertisement

There are definitely games that need higher PC specs. E.g. flight sims. If you look at the recommended specs on the Steam sales page that's usually a good guide. The game will probably run with slightly lower specs but obviously lower quality.

I posted a while back over in the PC building forum about a good cheap VR PC and they recommended a PC with RTX 2060 Super. Apparently its a good value card for VR if you're looking to keep costs down.

Wouldn't say Im an expert in PCVR. Only been at it for less than a year. Maybe someone else can advise further.

Advertisement