Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

recedite wrote: »
    Its a lot easier for a Blackrock College boy to stay on the straight and narrow. Yet there they were on the Anglo bank tapes, lying and cursing and laughing, while robbing and cheating the entire nation.
    Who's the scumbag?

Other criminals with different crimes isn't a defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Would you not give him any credit for growing up in that environment, yet not getting involved in all that himself?

He "grew up" there until the age of 13/14 then moved out to Lucan with Jedward etc. Since he's gotten rich he's gone back to his old friends to be seen as more "gangsta".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Being reared among drug dealers, yet rejecting the temptations of that lifestyle; that required great discipline and integrity from an early age.

What? Couldn't you basically say that about anyone from Crumlin that didn't become a career criminal? Am I missing some part of the story here?

He also moved to the posh part of Lucan as a young teen.

I'm not a foaming-at-the-mouth McGregor hater by any means, but the "rags to riches" aspect of his story is ridiculously overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

guys, Recedite is baiting everyone in this thread, I'm ashamed to admit I took the bait earlier, but it's time to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

A lot of the build-up to a fight is about courting publicity. Hence the insults and the theatrics.

Was it not the other guy who jumped into the ring and punched McGregor?
    https://www.irishpost.com/news/i-slapped-him-as-promised-russian-fighter-who-jumped-into-octagon-and-sucker-punched-conor-mcgregor-brags-on-social-media-160606
    Look, he's a fighter not an angel. A few hiccups, but he has made the big time honestly and with sheer hard work.

If he was a black guy who came from a rough neighbourhood and made good, you'd be lauding him as a great role model for his community.

He was secretly videoed calling the fighter a ‘fag&&ot’ after Artem’s loss, no build up just disgusting homophobic language.

I was referencing the bellator fight.

What can he do that you wouldn’t defend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If he was really a reformed character he wouldn't still have those drug dealing scumbags in his entourage. They are clearly still the people he most identifies with and wishes to associate with. That tells you about his true character, the fact he didn't sell drugs himself so what should we give him a medal, lots of people grew up where he did and don't associate with the pond scum.

Anyway his whole rags to riches story is bollox, he moved to Lucan for Christ sake i'd say he had a pretty normal working to lower middle class upbrining. Rags to riches my hole. Seriously it's gone beyond benefit of the doubt no, if you can't see him for what he really is at this point then no matter what he does you'll probably still support him. He's made money but he's a disgrace, to himself, his family and to the country. I hope he does come back just so i can see him quit tap out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,662 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

cloudatlas wrote:
    He was secretly videoed calling the fighter a ‘fag&&ot’ after Artem’s loss, no build up just disgusting homophobic language.
    What can he do that you wouldn’t defend?

I was referencing the bellator fight.
    I hear people using that word almost daily. These are grown men, many married and sensible in most ways. Out with the lads this language gets used a lot.
    I don't know where you grew up but I'm quite surprised that you make out calling somebody that name as a big deal. For most it's just a put down, they day it to their friends in the middle of a slanging match.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hear people using that word almost daily. These are grown men, many married and sensible in most ways. Out with the lads this language gets used a lot.
    I don't know where you grew up but I'm quite surprised that you make out calling somebody that name as a big deal. For most it's just a put down, they day it to their friends in the middle of a slanging match.

fag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

It's a hugely offensive and derogatory term. I know very few people who use it if any at this stage. Using it is a pretty good sign of ignorance.

batgoat wrote:
    It's a hugely offensive and derogatory term. I know very few people who use it if any at this stage. Using it is a pretty good sign of ignorance.
    It's often used among mates as a put down.
    You do know the word predates the American decision to us it as a derogatory term for homosexual people.
    It was a name for chopped liver and used as a slang term in that context long before the name was used as a homosexual term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

You do know the word predates the American decision to us it as a derogatory term for homosexual people.
    It was a name for chopped liver and used as a slang term in that context long before the name was used as a homosexual term.

Yes, the context that your friends are using has nothing to do with chopped liver. The modern day usage as a put down has everything to do with homosexuality... Conor McGregor was not referring to sticks or cut liver so seems pretty irrelevant. You and your friends may really need to grow up a bit btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd assume they are the owners, unless you know otherwise?

Rented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'm laughing out loud reading this post. So McGregor was using it as a reference to chopped liver and not as a homophobic slur? :D:D:D Pull the other one, mate, it has bells on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I'm laughing out loud reading this post. So McGregor was using it as a reference to chopped liver and not as a homophobic slur? :D:D:D Pull the other one, mate, it has bells on.

He was clearly calling him a bundle of sticks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

That wasn't the context of it at all it was not a jokey slanging match between mates but out of desperation at this point everything will be excused no matter because 'didn't he come from nothing and look what he's achieved'.

The argument seems to be depending on what suits either 'he is human or fallible' or 'sure look at what he's done'.

Yeah well Michael Jackson is also human and it took people a while to figure that out instead of just accessing him on the platform he built.

McGregor is not above criticism. Calling people fags is a bit old fashioned and pre-1994 homosexuality being illegal in Ireland esque along with using the 'n' word. Unless you're a secondary school student well then shout the word 'fag' to your hearts content while you man handle your straight mate against a locker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

cloudatlas wrote: »
    That wasn't the context of it at all it was not a jokey slanging match between mates but out of desperation at this point everything will be excused no matter because 'didn't he come from nothing and look what he's achieved'.

The argument seems to be depending on what suits either 'he is human or fallible' or 'sure look at what he's done'.

Yeah well Michael Jackson is also human and it took people a while to figure that out instead of just accessing him on the platform he built.

McGregor is not above criticism. Calling people fags is a bit old fashioned and pre-1994 homosexuality being illegal in Ireland esque along with using the 'n' word. Unless you're a secondary school student well then shout the word 'fag' to your hearts content while you man handle your straight mate against a locker.

Using the "n" word.
    The PC brigade have this word such power by making it taboo.
    It's just a word. Young black coloured people used it all the time.
    Fag is slang for lame nothing to do with gay men

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Using the "n" word.

You just come across as ignorant and uneducated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fag*ot for me meant "he who dislikes heavy metal " but I'm not 12 anymore

cloudatlas wrote:
    I didn't say it was the context that McGregor was using, it was just an aside, but it doesn't mean it had a homo side to it either. The word has been used as a slang term for many years and long before it was about homosexually. He doesn't need to know what it means to use it as part of consoling his friend.
    Just because some idiots use these words as a form of insulting gays doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to stop using the word when they aren't using it as an anti-gay term.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"coloured people"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I didn't say it was the context that McGregor was using, it was just an aside, but it doesn't mean it had a homo side to it either. The word has been used as a slang term for many years and long before it was about homosexually. He doesn't need to know what it means to use it as part of consoling his friend.
    Just because some idiots use these words as a form of insulting gays doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to stop using the word when they aren't using it as an anti-gay term.
    He was clearly using it in a homophobic manner, cop on to yourself and open your eyes.

Woke Hogan wrote:
    He was clearly using it in a homophobic manner, cop on to yourself and open your eyes.
    Why, was the guy he was talking about gay?

The Nal wrote: »
    "coloured people"

What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What's wrong with that?

Nothing. If it was 1950.

But aren't you using it as an anti gay term without even realising it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Using the "n" word.

Fag is short for ****** which means a bundle of sticks tied together ,

Back in the day it was the women's job to collect the bundle of sticks ,
    It became a slur word to say a gay man was not a man but a women ,

The Nal wrote: »
    Nothing. If it was 1950.

People of colour.... Is that acceptable?

Effects wrote:
    But aren't you using it as an anti gay term without even realising it?
    If you don't know it then you are not.

Why, was the guy he was talking about gay?

The insinuation is that he's less of a man, like being gay makes you less of a man.
    If you don't understand that then you're just clutching at straws, trying to get away with using a homophobic derogatory term, blaming other people for not understanding your meaning of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I think people here don't realise mcgregor is a master tactician. All this bad press is part of his overall plan. He's actually a genius the way he manipulates the media and the public. People will write PhD thesis on his mastery of public relations in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement