Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Marengo wrote: »
    Genuine question, why do McGregor fans refer to him constantly by first name? Conor this and Conor that. Both online, in gyms, pubs etc.

You'd think all these people knew him in person. Makes them sound like fawning kids.

With all his wrap the green flag around me BS I'd say you only have to go back a few generations to find he's a Scot.

Lots of people call Stipe Miocic, TJ Dillashaw, Nate Diaz, Floyd Mayweather, Ronda Rousey and countless others by their first name. It's nothing to do with being a fawning kid. It's just once someone gets popular enough you can use their first name and people know who you're taking about. There aren't many famous Conor's in MMA so if I say Conor, people know I'm taking about McGregor same with Stipe.

However, it just looks like you want to give out about McGregor hands so this probably won't change your mind. By the way I know plenty of people who hate McGregor who call him Conor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    You have to wonder about El Tappo though

What would of happened to him had he actually started fighting lads in his own weight class when he first came on the scene. Rather than cutting a tonne of weight just to fight migets.

He’d be back on the dole a few years ago, I’d wager

Loads of people cut lots of weight, it's not unique to McGregor. There was a few guys who fought at 125 that weighed in at about 145 before entering the cage. The current 145 champ Max Holloway cuts a lot of weight, he was hospitalised as a result of a weight cut before was aand Dana White said he doesn't want him to fight at 145 any more. Khabib cuts a lot and has struggled to make weight before as well and was hospitalised after a weight cut. McGregor has never missed weight or had to be hospitalised as a result of a weight cut unlike the current 145 and 155 champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don’t care how much you like the so-called sport of MMA

Why do people keep bringing up this guff?

Seriously?

[BIt is a sport[/B]

By any dictionary definition, it is a sport. You may not like it, and many don't. That doesn't mean it's not a sport.

I can't stand cricket. Dull as dishwater. That doesn't mean it's a "so called" sport. It is a sport and the players who take part are highly talented sportsmen and women.

Conor McGregor is an extremely talented and famous sportsman who was very successful in his chosen sport. He is also a complete ball bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Why do people keep bringing up this guff?

Seriously?

[BIt is a sport[/B]

Maybe because it is not actually recognised as a Sport in ireland?

https://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2017/1106/917814-mma/

It not being recognised has nothing to do with whether it's a sport or not. To be recognised by Sports Ireland, you need a governing body and MMA doesn't have one.

https://www.balls.ie/mma/sport-ireland-explains-why-mma-isnt-recognised-as-a-sport-330031

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

AlmightyCushion has spoken.

If you go to some country (and I'm sure there are many) where Gaelic football doesn't have a governing body and therefore isn't recognised in that country, does it cease to be a sport?

I would say the majority of professional MMA promotions and competitors do something leaning towards sports entertainment.

By that I mean that progression of an athlete towards the top (belts, status etc) is quite artificial. The fights themselves are genuine sporting contests (most of the time...) but everything else is subject to manipulation for the purposes of entertainment and profit.

A simple example is that a highly competent fighter in the UFC may never get a title fight due to lack of marketability. No matter how many wins they string together. A sub-par fighter but popular might walk into a title shot off a loss. Anyone with more than a passing interest should be of aware of bizarre and nonsensical title shots, interim belts etc.

Imagine if a sprinter won all his heats but could not get into the final because he was boring? If a trash-talker took his place instead? We would say it is no longer a fair sport.

Some fighters with superb records have been cut for being 'boring'. The deck can be stacked for or against a given fighter with skilled matchmaking and other tricks (bout notice, making lucrative offer to someone coming off an injury etc).

And of course there is a lot of theatricality involving trash-talking 'feuds', staged incidents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I would say the majority of professional MMA promotions and competitors do something leaning towards sports entertainment.

By that I mean that progression of an athlete towards the top (belts, status etc) is quite artificial. The fights themselves are genuine sporting contests (most of the time...) but everything else is subject to manipulation for the purposes of entertainment and profit.

A simple example is that a highly competent fighter in the UFC may never get a title fight due to lack of marketability. No matter how many wins they string together. A sub-par fighter but popular might walk into a title shot off a loss. Anyone with more than a passing interest should be of aware of bizarre and nonsensical title shots, interim belts etc.

Imagine if a sprinter won all his heats but could not get into the final because he was boring? If a trash-talker took his place instead? We would say it is no longer a fair sport.

Some fighters with superb records have been cut for being 'boring'. The deck can be stacked for or against a given fighter with skilled matchmaking and other tricks (bout notice, making lucrative offer to someone coming off an injury etc).

And of course there is a lot of theatricality involving trash-talking 'feuds', staged incidents etc.

Fair point about the organisations. And the Japanese promotions were traditionally side-showish too. In relation to the match-making, I agree it's an issue. Is it that different from boxing though? Genuine question as I don't follow boxing so knowledge is quite superficial

Yeah,.. this is what stops it being a sport..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

xckjoo wrote:
    Fair point about the organisations. And the Japanese promotions were traditionally side-showish too. In relation to the match-making, I agree it's an issue. Is it that different from boxing though? Genuine question as I don't follow boxing so knowledge is quite superficial
    Boxing is way more fixed than UFC. The results in some bouts are rigged. Just go and look at the two Golovkin vs Canelo fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

xckjoo wrote: »
    Is it that different from boxing though?

Boxing does follow a stricter rule re: mandatory defences etc but the showbiz side of it is huge too of course and helps with who gets what fight, when, where and for how much. Going back 150 years.

Ali based his character on the wrestler Gorgeous George for example. Got bigger fights as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yeah,.. this is what stops it being a sport..
    Nah

xckjoo wrote: »
    Nah

Well, it makes it look way more like entertainment..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tyson got out of jail, beat two punchbags and then got a title shot. Not at all deserved.

Boxing isn't a sport either by that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Don't confuse UFC (a promotion company) with MMA (the sport).

Like boxing, prize fighting is about money and popularity.

Prized fighting involves different promoters, with different belts and awards for different reasons.

Proclaiming MMA isn't a sport because of how the UFC promotes itself is like saying Boxing isn't a sport because of WBA/WBO/IBF/<insert company name here>. Or confusing WBA for boxing itself.

so if he ends up convicted what about all those eejits with McGregor tattoos?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

glasso wrote:
    They'll be the same as all the eejits with tattoos of other convicts.
    Like who really cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Still regret the big OJ Simpson one on my chest to this day.

eagle eye wrote: »
    They'll be the same as all the eejits with tattoos of other convicts.
    Like who really cares?

they will surely get an automatic eejit upgrade tho

eejit -> even bigger eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

glasso wrote: »

Probably more eejits with Che tattoo's.. But there are CmcG tattoo's?.

• Advertisement

Probably more eejits with Che tattoo's.. But there are CmcG tattoo's?.

more so in the US I believe. no doubt that there are a few gobshtyes in Ireland also tho.

this guy will have a big removal job for one

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWF5RNGA_Rp/?utm_source=ig_embed

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Maybe we'll see an end to all the cheap dickie bow/waistcoat combos he made popular, it looks like we've been invaded by snooker players at times.

^^^ Good grief!.

^^^ Good grief!.

I know. there are a load more pictured on that sun tabloid link.

Lads, half the MMA forum think that's pure cool..

Lads, half the MMA forum think that's pure cool..

I used to moderate on the MMA Pro-Wrestling on steroids forum forum before it turned into a CmcG wankfest it got so big.

I was part of MMA scene from its infancy in Ireland, its great to see how its grown but man its also attracted some tossers to it too.

I used to moderate on the MMA Pro-Wrestling on steroids forum forum before it turned into a CmcG wankfest it got so big.

I was part of MMA scene from its infancy in Ireland, its great to see how its grown but man its also attracted some tossers to it too.

A passion for a sport is admirable but there still is a (albeit diminishing nowadays) population of McGregor boneheads who try to defend the indefensible in his case.

It's been obvious for a long time what sort of person he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

A passion for a sport is admirable but there still is a (albeit diminishing nowadays) population of McGregor boneheads who try to defend the indefensible in his case.

It's been obvious for a long time what sort of person he is.

An entrepreneur and a skilled fighter come to mind.

Didn't agree with the Khabib trolley throw but hey it made him more money at the end of the day. If it made me an extra few million I'd do it as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What will it take for Dee to leave him?

Oh ya probably when he ends up back on the dole. The child maintenance payments will be crippling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement