Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,663 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Effects wrote:
    The insinuation is that he's less of a man, like being gay makes you less of a man. If you don't understand that then you're just clutching at straws, trying to get away with using a homophobic derogatory term, blaming other people for not understanding your meaning of the word.
    You are the one clutching at straws if you think that McGregor went through that thought process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you don't know it then you are not.

There is absolutely no way that the average person is oblivious to homophobic element to the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If you don't know it then you are not.

So if you're too ignorant to realise that you are racist or homophobic, then you aren't racist or ignorant and it's ok? That's not how logic works.

You are the one clutching at straws if you think that McGregor went through that thought process.

He didn't go through it in his thought process, it just came natural to him.
    He uses his thought process in other situations to not use that word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I think people here don't realise mcgregor is a master tactician. All this bad press is part of his overall plan. He's actually a genius the way he manipulates the media and the public. People will write PhD thesis on his mastery of public relations in the future.
    If he had a weakness it would be that he is apparently completely ignorant of the modern meanings of certain well known slurs. I actually feel sorry for the poor guy, he's harmlessly bantering with an admittedly well out of earshot opponent and calling him a bundle of sticks then whole thing is blown out of proportion! Poor guy. I say again: poor guy.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote:
    So if you're too ignorant to realise that you are racist or homophobic, then you aren't racist or ignorant and it's ok? That's not how logic works.
    If you are not intending to be racist or homophobic then it's ok.

Effects wrote:
    He didn't go through it in his thought process, it just came natural to him. He uses his thought process in other situations to not use that word.
    Obviously you know the man better than I do.

Sounds like you don't know him at all. If he thought it was ok to call people ****** then he would have used the term a lot more than the time he got caught with a hot mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Using the "n" word.
    The PC brigade have this word such power by making it taboo.
    It's just a word. Young black coloured people used it all the time.
    Fag is slang for lame nothing to do with gay men

'Young black coloured people used it all the time'.

Context is everything.

Also 'Coloured' http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30999175/warning-why-using-the-term-coloured-is-offensive

Why, was the guy he was talking about gay?

The intention was clear it was to suggest that a gay man was less than a straight man, you know that well enough.

• Advertisement

I think people here don't realise mcgregor is a master tactician. All this bad press is part of his overall plan. He's actually a genius the way he manipulates the media and the public. People will write PhD thesis on his mastery of public relations in the future.

I agree, throwing the dolly, smashing the phone all the antics in hotels this is all to pull the wool over the eyes of the public and distract us from the true Conor. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

recedite wrote: »
    Would you not give him any credit for growing up in that environment, yet not getting involved in all that himself?

He is involved.

It takes special levels of stupid to claim he's referring to a bundle of sticks....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hes clearly referring to this protein rich Welsh dish

http://www.hub-uk.com/interesting05/birth-life-and-death-of-a-******.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes clearly referring to this protein rich Welsh dish

http://www.hub-uk.com/interesting05/birth-life-and-death-of-a-******.htm

Used to get adverts on TV in the UK for Brains Fag_ots. They aren't bad actually.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

cloudatlas wrote: »
    He was secretly videoed calling the fighter a ‘fag&&ot’ after Artem’s loss, no build up just disgusting homophobic language.

I was referencing the bellator fight.

What can he do that you wouldn’t defend?

I don't see how its homophobic when Freddie Mercury used the term alot.

Even Bob Geldof who was a friend of Freddie Mercury use to call him the "old ******".

I guess Bob Geldof and Freddie Mercury must have both been homophobic:rolleyes:

Skip to 2.45 Geldof calls Freddie Mercury the "old ******".

Skip to 1.50 Freddie Mercury calls the cameraman a "******".

batgoat wrote:
    It takes special levels of stupid to claim he's referring to a bundle of sticks....
    It takes special levels of stupid to read my post and think I said that. That part if my post was an aside, pretty obvious too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Context is everything.

Also 'Coloured' http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30999175/warning-why-using-the-term-coloured-is-offensive

So
    Colored person = offensive
    Person of colour = political correct

Who makes the rules?

It takes special levels of stupid to read my post and think I said that. That part if my post was an aside, pretty obvious too.

You're the guy who chose to randomly bring in the etymology of the word which is irrelevant to the present day. McGregor is not oblivious to the fact it's homophobic and to resell as something innocent is pretty dishonest. Just because you and your friends use it, does not suddenly make it less homophobic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

batgoat wrote: »
    Yes, the context that your friends are using has nothing to do with chopped liver. The modern day usage as a put down has everything to do with homosexuality... Conor McGregor was not referring to sticks or cut liver so seems pretty irrelevant. You and your friends may really need to grow up a bit btw.

He should have called him a gay-boy's ar$e. Might not be so terse :/

• Advertisement

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Even Bob Geldof who was a friend of Freddie Mercury use to call him the "old ******".

Nice work. Snoop Dog calls people Nigga all the time. Does that make it ok for you to say it?

Gay people are allowed to use the term fåggot. Bob might not get away with it now the way he did back then. Freddie even had to hide the fact he was gay back then.

We live in a different society now and as part of respecting other people you shouldn't use offensive terms that remind people of the discrimination they have faced in the past.

Are you just trying to find reasons to justify being as aššhole to people?

Effects wrote: »
    Nice work. Snoop Dog calls people Nigga all the time. Does that make it ok for you to say it?

Gay people are allowed to use the term fåggot. Bob might not get away with it now the way he did back then. Freddie even had to hide the fact he was gay back then.

We live in a different society now and as part of respecting other people you shouldn't use offensive terms that remind people of the discrimination they have faced in the past.

Its PC double standards how some people can use "offensive" terms both others can't.

BTW Freddie Mercury never hid the fact that he was gay.

If he did he wouldn't have filmed one of his gay parties and then put it into a music video.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Context is everything.

Yeah but he said 'black coloured', whats the PC version of that, 'people of the colour black' ...?

batgoat wrote:
    You're the guy who chose to randomly bring in the etymology of the word which is irrelevant to the present day. McGregor is not oblivious to the fact it's homophobic and to resell as something innocent is pretty dishonest. Just because you and your friends use it, does not suddenly make it less homophobic.
    I said the word has history of being used as a slang term before it started being used as a word to put down gay people.
    I also said that people use the word today in slang but it's not meant in homphobic way. It's meant to call you a waster or lame.
    Just because the word got used by people as a derogatory word towArds gay people doesn't mean that everybody should stop using.
    As a matter of fact I would think the opposite, as in the more it's used by other people with different meanings the less offensive the word becomes.

I said the word has history of being used as a slang term before it started being used as a word to put down gay people.
    I also said that people use the word today in slang but it's not meant in homphobic way. It's meant to call you a waster or lame.
    Just because the word got used by people as a derogatory word towArds gay people doesn't mean that everybody should stop using.
    As a matter of fact I would think the opposite, as in the more it's used by other people with different meanings the less offensive the word becomes.

You must tell the LGBT community that you're working on reclaiming the word...

Anyway, this is what McGregor actually said “I thought you were going to sleep him, all I'm saying, he's a f****t. I never knew he was a f****t.”... The meaning is pretty clear..

I remember when I was back in school I had a teacher from Northern Ireland who use to say that the kids who didn't take part in PE "were part of a f@ggot club".

I'm not sure what he meant by that but I thought it was funny at the time:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

batgoat wrote: »

You must tell the LGBT community that you're working on reclaiming the word...

Anyway, this is what McGregor actually said “I thought you were going to sleep him, all I'm saying, he's a f****t. I never knew he was a f****t.”... The meaning is pretty clear..

He's basically calling him a pussy. Not a homosexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Homer

Effects wrote: »

I was always taught sticks and stones and all that growing up and I stand by it today, but if you want to throw your toys out of the pram because somebody called you or someone you know a bad name ... meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The intention was clear it was to suggest that a gay man was less than a straight man, you know that well enough.

So McGregor thought the guy that had beaten up his buddy, was less of a man than his buddy, even though he’d just beaten him??

• Advertisement

Dr Brown wrote: »

Skip to 2.45 Geldof calls Freddie Mercury the "old ******".

Skip to 1.50 Freddie Mercury calls the cameraman a "******".

FFS do I really have to explain this to you he was gay he was using it in a tongue and cheek way in order to reclaim the term. It wasn't used as an attack or a slur on someone as McGregor used it would ye ever cop on to yourself and stop searching desperately for a tiny exception that lets McGregor away with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement