Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Mcgregor arrested again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I remember when I was back in school I had a teacher from Northern Ireland who use to say that the kids who didn't take part in PE "were part of a f@ggot club".

I'm not sure what he meant by that but I thought it was funny at the time:pac:

The implication is pretty clear, implying that it's effeminate to not like PE ergo let's use a homophobic slur. You're perfectly aware of what he meant.
    Homer wrote: »
    I was always taught sticks and stones and all that growing up and I stand by it today, but if you want to throw your toys out of the pram because somebody called you or someone you know a bad name ... meh

That is absolute bull****.... I went through a huge amount of verbal bullying during my teenage life which played upon insecurities, I contemplated suicide. So you're ignorant as feck if you believe verbal abuse doesn't negatively impact a person. It can wreck the mental health of anyone, be it a child, teen or an adult. The term 'stick and stones' hasn't been viewed as remotely accurate for decades, it was just a way to pretend that mental health can't be negatively impacted by dickheads.

So be it racist or homophobic terms or any form of hate speech, those can be incredibly damaging towards a person's mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

So McGregor thought the guy that had beaten up his buddy, was less of a man than his buddy, even though he’d just beaten him??

Yeah it seems you are cottoning on, he was trying to console Artem obviously and in doing so said something fairly stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I remember when I was back in school I had a teacher from Northern Ireland who use to say that the kids who didn't take part in PE "were part of a f@ggot club".

I'm not sure what he meant by that but I thought it was funny at the time:pac:

Your teacher sounds like a homophobic bully. You thought his comment was funny because you're also a homophobe. Between that and the whole racism thing, the likes of you never have any nice opinions, do you?

It's truly bizarre that you've yet to be kicked off this site, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I presume people on here, have seen the article published in the New York times on 26th March , about McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Hoboo

So
    Colored person = offensive
    Person of colour = political correct

Who makes the rules?

Anyone can, as long as they're not white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

cloudatlas wrote: »
    FFS do I really have to explain this to you he was gay he was using it in a tongue and cheek way in order to reclaim the term. It wasn't used as an attack or a slur on someone as McGregor used it would ye ever cop on to yourself and stop searching desperately for a tiny exception that lets McGregor away with it.

I'm no fan of McGregor but I don't see how its acceptable for some people to use the term f@ggot but not others.

Maybe McGregor just used the term as a throw away remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Its PC double standards how some people can use "offensive" terms both others can't.
    Not really.
    BTW Freddie Mercury never hid the fact that he was gay.

Yeah, he did.
    If he did he wouldn't have filmed one of his gay parties and then put it into a music video.

You mean the one from 20 years or so after the band started?

I'm no fan of McGregor but I don't see how its acceptable for some people to use the term f@ggot but not others.

Maybe McGregor just used the term as a throw away remake.

Of course you don't see the issue, everyone of your posts seems to be irritation that hate speech is unacceptable. Do you even believe hate speech is a thing?

batgoat wrote: »
    Of course you don't see the issue, everyone of your posts seems to be irritation that hate speech is unacceptable. Do you even believe hate speech is a thing?

Not at all the US Supreme Court ruled that there is no such thing as "hate speech".

Once you attack Free Speech you attach the very core of Democracy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/06/19/supreme-court-unanimously-reaffirms-there-is-no-hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c730e411414b

Not at all the US Supreme Court ruled that there is no such thing as "hate speech".

Once you attack Free Speech you attach the very core of Democracy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/06/19/supreme-court-unanimously-reaffirms-there-is-no-hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c730e411414b

That's a ruling that there's no exception for hate speech in the US Constitution in relation to freedom of speech, it doesn't deny the existence of hate speech. Last but not least, you are not in the US so the US constitution is pretty inapplicable to your situation, absolute freedom of speech does not exist.

Thank you for illustrating my point though.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Not really.

Yeah, he did.

You mean the one from 20 years or so after the band started?

The video was made in 1985.

Anyone who was a fan of Queen in the 80s would of known Freddie Mercury was gay he made no effort to hide it.

I have no issue with him being Gay I just don't see how its OK for Freddie and his straight friends to use the term F@ggot but if anyone else users the term they are "homophobic".

Your teacher sounds like a homophobic bully. You thought his comment was funny because you're also a homophobe. Between that and the whole racism thing, the likes of you never have any nice opinions, do you?

If I'm a "homophobe" then so was Freddie Mercury and Bob Geldof.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Am I correct in my observation that this thread is more interested in arguing about how famous this toe rag is than actually discussing the thing he’s going to end up in a lot of trouble over?

Faustino wrote: »
    Am I correct in my observation that this thread is more interested in arguing about how famous this toe rag is than actually discussing the thing he’s going to end up in a lot of trouble over?

Personally not mentioning the other situation since it endangers any trial to discuss it tbh.

If I'm a "homophobe" then so was Freddie Mercury and Bob Geldof.

You know as well as I do that there is a contextual difference between a gay man self-deprecatingly calling himself a 'f*ggot' and your homophobic teacher weaponising the word for the purpose of belittling kids who don't like PE.

I'll give you an example. The other day, a colleague called me the c-word, because I won €550 on a horse. His exact words were "how did you manage that, ya cunt?" I think it's fair to say that the lighthearted context in which he used that word in relation to my stroke of luck differs considerably from the context in which I would use it in relation to (for example) Conor McGregor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Faustino wrote: »

It seems to have turned into a thread about Freddy Mercury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Homer wrote: »
    I was always taught sticks and stones and all that growing up and I stand by it today, but if you want to throw your toys out of the pram because somebody called you or someone you know a bad name ...

What age are you? In your 60s?
    Just treat people with respect, it's not that hard to do.
    Just cause you don't punch someone in the face doesn't mean it's ok to be an aśshole to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Way too light in the Timberlands there with your overreaction! It is actually funny.

Way too light in the Timberlands there with your overreaction! It is actually funny.

You really think a teacher using homophobic language towards children is 'funny'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

The video was made in 1985.

Anyone who was a fan of Queen in the 80s would of known Freddie Mercury was gay he made no effort to hide it.

I have no issue with him being Gay I just don't see how its OK for Freddie and his straight friends to use the term F@ggot but if anyone else users the term they are "homophobic".

why was the band called Queen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

why was the band called Queen?

Because the lead male singer took it up the arse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Effects wrote:
    We live in a different society now and as part of respecting other people you shouldn't use offensive terms that remind people of the discrimination they have faced in the past.

Why don't you take a hike with your telling people what they can and cannot say?

Idiots have society ruined trying to make everybody into beta-males and getting your knickers in a twist about people's use of words.
    If I want to say something offensive I will say it and I will worry about the consequences and not have some Nancy boy getting his knickers in a twist.

Why don't you take a hike with your telling people what they can and cannot say?

Idiots have society ruined trying to make everybody into beta-males and getting your knickers in a twist about people's use of words.
    If I want to say something offensive I will say it and I will worry about the consequences and not have some Nancy boy getting his knickers in a twist.

I really think the world would benefit if people such as yourself would grow up rather than behaving like a fool. Would you be happy to call your son a "Nancy boy"?

batgoat wrote:
    I really think the world would benefit if people such as yourself would grow up rather than behaving like a fool. Would you be happy to call your son a "Nancy boy"?

Yes I would because it's a big bad world out there,people need to man the **** up and at some stage realise that words are only words and not everyone is worried about hurting your feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yes I would because it's a big bad world out there,people need to man the **** up and at some stage realise that words are only words and not everyone is worried about hurting your feelings.

'Man up', boring! Humans are generally born man or woman, no need to be maning or womaning up!

Wanderer78 wrote:
    'Man up', boring! Humans are generally born man or woman, no need to be maning or womaning up!

Not unless they want to start wearing a dress and kicking off constantly about their 'gender identity '.

They even have transvestites visiting schools now,telling 6 year old children about the joys of sodomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

Who the f@#$ is this guy now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Men have different traits to women. If a man is acting like a woman he needs to man up

• Advertisement

mario84s wrote:
    Who the f@#$ is this guy now?

You triggered into incoherence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement