Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still the same. No trees there all blew away. Lol. Do not worry we've seen worse. Stay safe.

same here; no trees at this the windy end.. stay safe there too..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

malin 130kph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

An incredible amount of lightning strikes off the north coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

It’s gone from pretty windy to absolutely vicious here in south Donegal in the last 15 minutes.

Not the best photo but the sea is raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maximum gusts (kph) at Irish stations up to 1600 UTC on 12th Mar 2019

Malin Head 130
    Mace Head 112
    Belmullet 108
    Finner Camp 105
    Roches Point 94
    Claremorris 90
    Sherkin Island 90
    Cork Airport 90
    Casement Aerodrome 90
    Valentia Observatory 87
    Knock Airport 87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wild in east Galway
    HUGE tree down in garden up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Warnings updated:

ORANGE: Galway added to Orange warning
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    UPDATE:
    Westerly winds associated with storm Gareth will give mean speeds of 80km/h with severe and damaging gusts of 110 to over 130km/h. There is also the risk of coastal flooding due to high seas.

Valid: Tuesday 12 March 2019 17:00 to Wednesday 13 March 2019 09:00

Issued: Tuesday 12 March 2019 16:56

Updated: Tuesday 12 March 2019 16:56

YELLOW: Seems that it was changed from mean of 50km/h to 55km/h at least
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo
    Westerly winds associated with storm Gareth will reach mean speeds 55 to 65km/h and gusts of 90 to 110km. There is a risk of coastal flooding due to high seas along Atlantic coasts.

Valid: Tuesday 12 March 2019 17:00 to Wednesday 13 March 2019 12:00

Issued: Tuesday 12 March 2019 16:50

Updated: Tuesday 12 March 2019 16:50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Warnings updated:

ORANGE: Galway added to Orange warning
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    UPDATE:
    Westerly winds associated with storm Gareth will give mean speeds of 80km/h with severe and damaging gusts of 110 to over 130km/h. There is also the risk of coastal flooding due to high seas.

Valid: Tuesday 12 March 2019 17:00 to Wednesday 13 March 2019 09:00

Issued: Tuesday 12 March 2019 16:56

Updated: Tuesday 12 March 2019 16:56

YELLOW: Seems that it was changed from mean of 50km/h to 55km/h at least
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo
    Westerly winds associated with storm Gareth will reach mean speeds 55 to 65km/h and gusts of 90 to 110km. There is a risk of coastal flooding due to high seas along Atlantic coasts.

Valid: Tuesday 12 March 2019 17:00 to Wednesday 13 March 2019 12:00

Issued: Tuesday 12 March 2019 16:50

Updated: Tuesday 12 March 2019 16:50

interesting ,potentially gusting over 130kmh now.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Pretty bad here in N. Donegal can’t imagine what it will be like at its worst this evening between 7&10pm is it? Thankfully we are all indoors now with the fire on. Electricity still on so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Real car doors benders in East Galway, nothing too severe though, maybe because there are long periods of time between the really big gusts.

Ground is very wet from recent heavy rain, may explain the tree down Km79.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Very gusty in South Sligo
    It was windier for a time earlier and then it almost died away altogether - coming back in the last half an hour - gusts are certainly deserving of an orange warning and I'd say there's more to come yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Surprisingly calm here north-ish Leitrim. Not even blustery. Bit of noisy in the sky at times but that's it so far. More to come I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Real car doors benders in East Galway, nothing too severe though, maybe because there are long periods of time between the really big gusts.

Ground is very wet from recent heavy rain, may explain the tree down Km79.

I will try take a photo in morning as I was driving by
    It didn't uproot at first glance
    Looked to have snapped at the base
    A real shame cos it was a lovely old tree

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Strong gusts in Palmerstown, West Dublin but last night was still worse. We will see what tonight brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Extremely rough in Letterkenny, some huge squally showers with thunder and sheets of hail, goes almost pitch black as the showers pass through. Impressive stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Maximum gusts (kph) at Irish stations up to 1600 UTC on 12th Mar 2019

Malin Head 130
    Mace Head 112
    Belmullet 108
    Finner Camp 105
    Roches Point 94
    Claremorris 90
    Sherkin Island 90
    Cork Airport 90
    Casement Aerodrome 90
    Valentia Observatory 87
    Knock Airport 87

And if I'm not mistaken, that would be the first 130 or more km/h wind gust at Malin Head since Storm Henry on 1 February 2016.

EDIT: Yep.

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1105530326833680384

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Strong gusts in Palmerstown, West Dublin but last night was still worse. We will see what tonight brings.

Ditto in Dublin 16. Windy but last night was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Windy in Dublin 5, there were two wintry showers earlier. I didn't feel anything last night, my slumber was undisturbed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Getting hammered at the moment....worse than yesterday....just outside Dublin int he flat fields of Meath and we have no protection from it....

When is this supposed to stop? pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

much more severe out here today and tonight than it was last night. seems worse also now as it gets dark. although that is probably in the mind's eye. BUT the dwelling did not shake last night and it is shaking often now ... sound of shattering out there now. raw power at work

west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

Really heavy swell on the nw coast. A good number of years since I have seen it as bad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really heavy swell on the nw coast. A good number of years since I have seen it as bad.

Anybody have any links to footage of that Red Bull business?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Anybody have any links to footage of that Red Bull business?

https://instagram.com/redbullstormchase?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=wyozj7z25pu9

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

All calm in Stephens green area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

just outside crossmolina , been fairly gusty all day, not shockingly bad but not just a windy day either , seems to have backed off a bit now, due to change direction a bit from west to north west before it builds again which makes a big difference to us as we have shelter from that side

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Could add to the earlier wind gust reports 106 km/hr at Donegal Airport (from meteociel).

The trend should now be sustained peak storm conditions (with variations) to 9 p.m. then a slow easing through the night.

When is high tide? I am guessing fairly soon as we're now halfway from new to full moon so should be around 7 or 8 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Severe gusts here in Castlebar town an hour ago when I was out. Was almost blown out on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Could add to the earlier wind gust reports 106 km/hr at Donegal Airport (from meteociel).

The trend should now be sustained peak storm conditions (with variations) to 9 p.m. then a slow easing through the night.

When is high tide? I am guessing fairly soon as we're now halfway from new to full moon so should be around 7 or 8 ish.

Around 9/9.30 in Sligo.

Great wave watching in Strandhill at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

9:43pm beside the airport as per UK Tides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The storm is crazy here in SW Donegal, my fibre wire has detached a bit from the gable, hope my internet doesn't go!

Advertisement