Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Seems pretty tame here this morning in NW Donegal considering last night's squally entrance of Gareth into the arena. Looking forward to Round 2. The red bull storm chasers are heading out windsurfing at 9am. They'll definitely get their wings today ��

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This isn't a squall line, it's just the cold front. A squall line is a specific type of line of thunderstorms formed through convective processes, but this isn't one. It woke me up a while ago with rain bashing against the window but it's gone quiet now.

Squalls / Squally getting good use anyway ...

From Met Eireann on Twitter this morning

@MetEireann

A few bright or sunny spells this morning. Getting very windy with showers developing widely, frequent & blustery this afternoon – some heavy with the risk of hail. SW winds veering west will increase gale force with some severe gusts or squalls later. A cold day. Highs 7-9C

And last night

....squally with hail. Westerly gales will have severe gusts - especially across the north and west and Met Eireann has a status orange wind warning in effect. The better dry spells in the south and east. Highest temperatures 7 to 10 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

type your code in,will stop the fault beep

We were in bed trying to sleep. Having to go downstairs to do it seven times at different intervals was totally infuriating as it came and went

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Vincent O'Shea on the radio just now didn't help confusion over warning colours by stating on the official broadcast that "Met Éireann has issued an orange warning", without stating which counties it's limited too. At the end he said severe gusts anywhere.

This is at a time that most people are going to work, so they hear that and the chatter starts at work. Everyone believes it's a nationwide orange, cue the bashing in tomorrow's post-mortem. Met Éireann don't help themselves sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

just been outside to set up defences and far from "tame". i checked around the back where it is a bare 50 metres from the mighty ocean and a more hostile sight you could not see,,,, sky threatening dark grey down to a disturbed dark ocean.... the last storm was hail and it is lying like snow on borders thickly
    the ocean expanses rough-rippled and dark .

and bitter, bitter cold wind.

https://islandings.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Vincent O'Shea on the radio just now didn't help confusion over warning colours by stating on the official broadcast that "Met Éireann has issued an orange warning", without stating which counties it's limited too. At the end he said severe gusts anywhere.

This is at a time that most people are going to work, so they hear that and the chatter starts at work. Everyone believes it's a nationwide orange, cue the bashing in tomorrow's post-mortem. Met Éireann don't help themselves sometimes.

Agree totally with you it was as confusing forecast I have heard for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Very cold here in SW Donegal with a big hail shower falling at the minute. We had several hail showers throughout the night along with big gusts of wind. Wondering how the day will fair out for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I am so relieved to see a post from you this morning Graces7 . I have been concerned and was praying you were ok . Welcome back and thanks for the fabulous description of lasts nights weather from the Mayo offshore island xx
    Graces7 wrote: »
    i am here... having a very bad time healthwise so down to bare essentials...not been offisland etc since before christmas and keeping myself and cats fed etc is the main thing..

and of course I logged on when the storm was announced. where else but boards ie weather to get real info.. ;) I mean really !!!

Has been a long had battle this month weather wise. These are far beyond our usual winter gales. seems almost always at night...one blew out the door and a window of the old house alongside ... a bit of the roof hit my window hard.

Last night the orange marine hit us hard. Loud and obnoxious after a day of marble sized hailstones.. Y'day the door got away from me; slammed hard against the house and took every last bit of strength i had to get it closed again. Raw energy.... when it gets light will put turf and other soft heavy stuff behind it. not a power to be taken lightly.

else all prepared here. Looks to be going to be a bad one. will be around today all being well and I am praising westnet, our local internet server as never a flicker and the dish is on the exposed north gable end.

stay safe, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Strong winds here all night and consistent rain ! but all very calm here this morning , not a leaf blowing or a raindrop in sight ! West Waterford

Thewife wrote: »
    I am so relieved to see a post from you this morning Graces7 . I have been concerned and was praying you were ok . Welcome back and thanks for the fabulous description of lasts nights weather from the Mayo offshore island xx

blessings and thanks. i am setting up ( please excuse off topic!) a separate blogspot ... <snip> but have not been well enough to focus on it yet. will cover weather and life here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Very loud booking wind during the night (Dublin 10). All defenses held for me. Neighbours however not so much. Road is covered in rubbish as bins were left our in the middle of the roads (so no defence from the wind). Lots of broken branches and old fences scattered randomly out the back.

If this wasn't the yellow warning, I dear slightly for later. It seems to be at a different angle than normal which is affecting here slot more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

stay safe, please.
    :D
    Don’t make unnecessary journeys, don’t take risks on treacherous roads and don’t swim in the sea!

https://twitter.com/TeresaMannion/status/990636540220051458?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Cold front going through last night

617-F0-DC1-3-E2-E-47-E7-B6-AE-4385-D3697-B02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

The met webcams link is below...only came across this recently, Mace and Derry should be interesting later today.

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/web-cams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

ArraMusha wrote: »
    The met webcams link is below...only came across this recently, Mace and Derry should be interesting later today.

That's not Derry,its mallin head

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

ArraMusha wrote: »

Came across these before. Quite a shame that they are not streaming video but still, better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

just been outside to set up defences and far from "tame". i checked around the back where it is a bare 50 metres from the mighty ocean and a more hostile sight you could not see,,,, sky threatening dark grey down to a disturbed dark ocean.... the last storm was hail and it is lying like snow on borders thickly
    the ocean expanses rough-rippled and dark .

and bitter, bitter cold wind.

https://islandings.blogspot.com/

Great to hear from you Grace, and you've started a blog! I'll look forward to reading that. Sorry to hear you haven't been well, hope things improve soon. xRuth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's a beautiful morning here in North Inishowen.

Perfectly still, sun out. But cold.

I take it this is the calm before the storm?

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Great to hear from you Grace, and you've started a blog! I'll look forward to reading that. Sorry to hear you haven't been well, hope things improve soon. xRuth

only here for today due to health issues, but at some stage the weblog will be up; it is a safer and quieter and more manageable setting .

sharp bursts of strong winds here. equally sharp bursts of icy hail west mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

Wind whipping up big time in Iarthar Chonamara. Recent hail shower. Bitterly cold.

Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Duggie2012

in sligo town. hardly even a breeze at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

In an hour there will be

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some big sleet and hail showers here in Tralee with bursts of sunshine, windy in the showers but don't expect the stronger winds here untill the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Wind picking up here in Galway the last half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Blustery in Castlebar in the last hour, some heavy hail showers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Wind picking up near the Northern shore of the Shannon estuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nice clear slot here but showers approaching from the NW

A0-BB36-FC-B195-4-B89-8-B0-A-97-C7-C5-EB8470.jpg

Lovely photo above.. wishin g i had a simple camera

just noticed the time and yes, winds freshening out here now. Bright sun.
    gareth, please wipe your feet as you come aboard? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.

Interesting one - 'A windy day isn't a day for the scallop' - meaning 'There is no time like the present' ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Interesting one - 'A windy day isn't a day for the scallop' - meaning 'There is no time like the present' ??

In this context a scallop is a tool used for thatching. So a windy day isn't a day for thatching. According to google, anyway.

Advertisement