Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

strongest gust of the day in Cork City just now. Started raining and some strong gust hit my house, similar to last nights ones, nowhere near as constant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Orange and yellow warnings but there hasn't been a post in half an hour. Tonight doesn't seem like much here in my part of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Orange and yellow warnings but there hasn't been a post in half an hour. Tonight doesn't seem like much here in my part of Cork.

Last night definitely worse, unless it's going to kick off after 9pm

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Middle of the night was bad. Earlier today was bad. Will be interesting to see how later is. Can hear the gusts down the chimney. The only weak part of the house (poured concrete walls, and storm windows and doors).

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

aisling86 wrote: »
    Last night definitely worse, unless it's going to kick off after 9pm

Definitely worse here tonight at Galway/Tipperary border...nothing of note here at all last night. Hoping the power won’t go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

was expecting alot worse,with just under 2 hours to peak intensity,it seems weve escaped the worst,looks like the severest of the winds are reserved for Donegal,thought this was going to be a good storm,but its turned out to be a very run of the mill blustery night in West Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Very stormy in N.Donegal.. way worse than last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

it has changed from gusts with calmer minutes in between to sustained violent winds with no breaks. intense and loud and infinitely fiercer and stronger than anything last night.

Just no comparison. looks set to last all night now too. dwelling is a tremble and a quiver... Most unusual to last so long at such a pitch.

something outside is rattling and i dare not open the door . lol..

amazing we still have power. ESB is a wonder.... tonight though is a night to have a good torch and a fully charged cell phone to hand

power we cannot change or control, only defend against

west mayo offshore refuge

was expecting alot worse,with just under 2 hours to peak intensity,it seems weve escaped the worst,looks like the severest of the winds are reserved for Donegal,thought this was going to be a good storm,but its turned out to be a very run of the mill blustery night in West Mayo.

bear in my mind the strongest winds are in very unpopulated areas,so the thread will be a bit dead,but as the winds exit the country later in the night,the wheelie bin/fearing for my life updates should start.

not out here.. a full on raging storm . worst seen here for a very long time and right now sustained severe gusts and hard showers.

Graces7 wrote: »
    not out here.. a full on raging storm . worst seen here for a very long time and right now sustained severe gusts and hard showers.

This line must be repeated during every single storm, worst in years etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

This is a Donegal and exposed parts of the North and West event only. Its breezy with stronger gusts in west Dublin but perfectly fine to go out for a stroll in, if you bring a rain coat for the occasional shower.

Unless there is a pick up in wind speeds in the next hour or two then I think we have seen the worst of Gareth. Last night's winds were far worse here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

a few more strong gusts coming in within minutes then longer periods of calm and then gusts again in Cork so picking up slowly?

The north/northwest is taking some hammering today though. Really slow moving storm/large field of strong winds

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Carol25

it has changed from gusts with calmer minutes in between to sustained violent winds with no breaks. intense and loud and infinitely fiercer and stronger than anything last night.

Just no comparison. looks set to last all night now too. dwelling is a tremble and a quiver... Most unusual to last so long at such a pitch.

something outside is rattling and i dare not open the door . lol..

amazing we still have power. ESB is a wonder.... tonight though is a night to have a good torch and a fully charged cell phone to hand

power we cannot change or control, only defend against

west mayo offshore refuge

Glad to hear from you Grace and that you’re surviving this storm. Hope the power stays on overnight too!

Conditions seem to have deteriorated here in Galway, between Oranmore and Athenry around 5:30pm. Before that there were surges of wind and rouge gusts. One nearly knocked me over collecting my boys at 4pm. But since we got home, it seems there’s stronger gusts more frequently, stronger sustained winds and generally stormy conditions. Everything secured in Garden as I wasn’t expecting this severity here. It seems there’s a slight lull at the moment in between the showers. Unpredictable is how I’d describe this storm currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was down watching the Red Bull event earlier - they're all NUTS!!! Wildly impressive stuff - both the surfers, and the safety/support guys on jetskis.

It started off as a normal enough windy day about 11am, but by the time I retreated about 3pm (leaving the surfers out there still doing their thing) it was absolutely wild - the bay was like a boiling cauldron. Long, long time since I've seen it that rough up here.

I had trouble walking back along the beach to the car against the wind, and it nearly ripped the car door off (I'd made the mistake of parking the car downwind).

The surfer guys were reporting winds of over 60kts (and I'd well believe it), and looked pretty shook by the conditions!

It seems to be calming down a bit here now in the very NW - the wind and hail earlier were bordering on scary, but it seems to be just reverting to a windy night now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

Moved into a new house recently and not sure if its just taking getting used to or what but letter box is knocking up in the hills of D24.

Of course; we most of us realise that the world's weather is deteriorating fast and visible and experientially. so yes weather events are getting worse. not a cliche to be dismissed ; simple fact

Been in Mayo 2 years and have seen this clearly here. Gareth is a full example. a sustained severe storm preceded by a lesser event as bad in some areas.

so yes, worst here in a long time. and still raging out here now.shaking the house. set to last all night

NewMrs2b wrote: »
    Moved into a new house recently and not sure if its just taking getting used to or what but letter box is knocking up in the hills of D24.

I lost half mine a while ago and now have cloth stuffed in it to stop the din of it ;)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I was down watching the Red Bull event earlier - they're all NUTS!!! Wildly impressive stuff - both the surfers, and the safety/support guys on jetskis.

It started off as a normal enough windy day about 11am, but by the time I retreated about 3pm (leaving the surfers out there still doing their thing) it was absolutely wild - the bay was like a boiling cauldron. Long, long time since I've seen it that rough up here.

I had trouble walking back along the beach to the car against the wind, and it nearly ripped the car door off (I'd made the mistake of parking the car downwind).

The surfer guys were reporting winds of over 60kts (and I'd well believe it), and looked pretty shook by the conditions!

It seems to be calming down a bit here now in the very NW - the wind and hail earlier were bordering on scary, but it seems to be just reverting to a windy night now.

i wish... still raging and screaming out here, west mayo offshore.. longing for it to abate

Of course; we most of us realise that the world's weather is deteriorating fast and visible and experientially. so yes weather events are getting worse. not a cliche to be dismissed ; simple fact

Been in Mayo 2 years and have seen this clearly here. Gareth is a full example. a sustained severe storm preceded by a lesser event as bad in some areas.

so yes, worst here in a long time. and still raging out here now.shaking the house. set to last all night

it's not a fact at all. It's reactionary guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

8pm Malin head gusting 65 knots (120km/h)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

it's not a fact at all. It's reactionary guff.

Mod Note: Back on topic please. You have made your point, time to move on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

The attic is creaking here in North Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Action from Red Bull today. Absolute mental conditions to be on the water but amazing to watch!!

oDZUDF.jpg

RHgyGp.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Went for a short run there. It is blustery but I think we are escaping the worst of it. Galway West.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apart from a horrendous shower earlier in the day it's seemed fairly tame around castlebar/claremorris as orange warnings go compared to some of the storms earlier in the winter. The worst of it seems to have been very localised to the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think it is the longevity of the strong winds that will be main difference with Gareth, Malin Head is gusting above 117kmh for the last 5 hours!

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1105566912480710656

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

Waiting for the power to go,on and off non stop now.
    Me the wife and kids might finally have an evening of conversation for once. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maximum gusts (kph) at Irish stations up to 2000 UTC on 12th Mar 2019

Malin Head 130
    Finner Camp 119
    Mace Head 112
    Knock Apt 108
    Belmullet 108
    Shannon Apt 97
    Oak Park 94
    Sherkin Island 94
    Roches Point 94
    Claremorris 90
    Cork Apt 90
    Casement Aerodrome 90
    Valentia Observatory 90

3 stations warranted of amber warning whilst 10 stations warranted of yellow warning, using the current maximum gusts.

Going by gusts, looks to me that Storm Ali is still the most impressive storm this season. Mean windspeeds might tell a different story (they more than likely will) but we won't know until at least a month later when that data is released.

Will update the storm comparison table tomorrow when the event is well over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Grace7 lives on an offshore island so I would accept her description.
    Windy and gusty here in sheltered Westport
    Hope everyone keeps safe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Fairly strong wind in Wicklow. On the coast. Not hard, have had no storms really, but stronger than most winds this winter.

Advertisement