Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

TAFs for Donegal and Sligo airports, up to 21Z.

Donegal. Gusts 55 knots after 2 pm, increasing to 63 knots after 7 pm.
    TAF EIDL 121100Z 1212/1221 25028G43KT 9999 FEW012 BKN020 TEMPO 1212/1221 5000 SHRAGS BKN012 SCT018CB BECMG 1214/1217 26033G55KT TEMPO 1219/1221 28036G63KT=

Sligo. Gusts 50 knots after 2 pm, increasing to 57 knots after 7 pm.
    TAF EISG 121100Z 1212/1221 24025G40KT 9999 FEW012 BKN020 TEMPO 1212/1221 5000 SHRAGS BKN012 SCT018CB BECMG 1214/1217 26030G50KT TEMPO 1219/1221 28034G57KT=

Already gust 52 knots at Mace Head up to 11 am.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Went for a walk around 7.30 in Castlebar and it was too calm, now in last 30 mins its gone from calm and sunny to hail & windy and now sunny and windy. Seems to be a fast moving changes so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

andrew wrote: »
    In this context a scallop is a tool used for thatching. So a windy day isn't a day for thatching. According to google, anyway.

That seems to be it. I always understood the phrase in relation to thatching but also had to check it's exact meaning even though I often use it myself on days like this. According to Ó Dónaill:

3. scolb (tuí), ‘scollop’, looped stick for securing thatch. Lá na ~, thatching-day. Prov:Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na ~, ‘the windy day is not the day for scollops’, take time by the forelock.

Sorry to go off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Gone windy outside Sligo town now.
    Really bad hail showers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

andrew wrote: »
    In this context a scallop is a tool used for thatching. So a windy day isn't a day for thatching. According to google, anyway.

The message of it is that there's no point trying to secure your thatch with extra scoilbs when the wind has started blowing, you should have done it beforehand.
    Back on topic, nice bit of sun in Galway now but cloud on the way and wind picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

the wind has not eased all morning but getting louder now. the ocean is a mass of white breakers, spray hitting the air wild and white . gareth is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Storm & Convective Forecast

Issued 2019-03-12 11:19:14
    Valid: 12/03/2019 0600 to 13/03/2019 0600
    CONVECTIVE / THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK - TUES 12 MARCH 2019

Synopsis
    Deep low pressure Storm Gareth will track SE across northern Scotland tonight embedded in a deep upper trough shifting east across the UK behind an active cold front which will bring squally rain with emdedded line convection SE across England and Wales today, followed by heavy and squally showers with hail and thunder across NW Britain.
    UK and IRELAND
    An active cold front will continue to push SE across England late morning and into the afternoon, strong winds aloft parallel with strong SWly winds at the surface will bring line convection on the leading edge of the band of squally rain along cold front moving SE, convection will be shallow, with weak instability and profiles too saturated to support lightning, though the odd strike can't be ruled out. Convectively enhanced damaging wind gusts of 50-60mph and brief intense rainfall leading to localised flooding are possible with the line squall. A few brief tornadic spin ups can't be ruled out along the front.
    Post cold front polar airmass will see increasingly cold mid-levels spreading aloft of moist surface airmass, as upper trough moves east. This will create sufficiently steep lapse rated to support frequent heavy showers with hail and thunder across the northwest - with a few of these passing southeast elsewhere. Convectively enhanced very strong wind gusts are possible in association with these heavy showers, with damaging gusts of 60-70mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Malin 96kph now

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That's not Derry,its mallin head

It's not Mallin head, its Malin head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

My Mother often told the story of notoriously lasy neighbour who she visited one very wet and windy day with the rain pouring in through his thatch. "Why don't you fix the thatch, Michael?" she inquired. "You wouldn't expect a man to go fixing thatch on a day like that would you? and I don't need it a fine day" was his reply. A sort of reverse logic bent on the old proverb.

• Advertisement

2vl1ylu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pretty calm in cork city besides the odd sleet showers. Last night was a lot worse and wasn't even a warning, cork airport is forecasting below yellow speeds as well Vs yesterday.

volume and velocity have increased. deafening, wince-making blasts. no more sunshine but bright still .. west mayo offshore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I love storms! The energy from them really excites me and cheers me up.
    Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!
    You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout
    Till you have drench'd our steeples, drown'd the cocks!
    You sulphurous and thought-executing fires,
    Vaunt-couriers to oak-cleaving thunderbolts,
    Singe my white head! And thou, all-shaking thunder,
    Smite flat the thick rotundity o' the world!
    Crack nature's moulds, an germens spill at once,
    That make ingrateful man!

Bring it on Gary!

winds slowly ratcheting up.

west Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I wouldn't be surprised if the winds last night turn out to be stronger than what is forecasted tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I wouldn't be surprised if the winds last night turn out to be stronger than what is forecasted tonight.

There's a good few hours to go yet....when it does gust here in cork it's whistling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Quite a racket this is after causing

B4651030-F8-AD-4-E72-A25-F-6-AF4888-A49-F4.jpg

not a chance. already getting near last night;s sheer howling

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Very, very windy in Sligo town already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got to drive through barnesmore gap and back at 3pm to pick up a car - wish me luck

It's begun.

west Mayo.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Still sunny but getting very gusty in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Starting to get very stormy in Castlebar now, some heavy rain currently as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

recent heavy hail shower, still windy.

got to drive through barnesmore gap and back at 3pm to pick up a car - wish me luck

ouch.... good luck and take care

that last sustained blast had the dwelling trembling.. That is a first. not shaking; trembling. west mayo

Graces7 wrote: »
    that last sustained blast had the dwelling trembling.. That is a first. not shaking; trembling. west mayo

any stats on wind speeds please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gusts at Malin Head and Mace Head to 60 knots (111 km/hr)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like winds to peak in northwest around 8pm, so good few hours for this to ramp up.

Advertisement