Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

km79 wrote: »
    East Galway is fine
    Thankfully it went north

Same in Galway West. It seemed to slacken off considerably from 8-11 but I think it's starting to pick up again. It doesn't seem half as bad a recent nights because it is lacking heavy rain, thunder or hailstones.

Looks like a NW event.

Sryanbruen's revised table tomorrow will tell all.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

I thought it was dying down & maybe the wind has, but the rain is hitting the west window horizontally & with such forceI cannot hear the Brexit headlines.
    S Sligo 152m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Highest gusts Ive seen today reported

Malin 70 knots
    Finner 64 knots
    Mace 60 knots
    Sligo 59 knots
    Newport 54 knots

Has Belmullet seen anything high. Forgot to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

'Tis fair wild when the showers come! Something is making an annoying rattling noise outside, too wet to go and investigate. East Galway.
    Hoping there are no trees down when I venture out around 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

It’s been a proper storm here in Meath since about 7pm wind has stripped the old lean to barn of its sheeting-I can only imagine the intensity of it from Galway up to Donegal!
    I’ve read the last 6 pages of comments on this thread and there seems to be an increase of snide remarks on boards in general and now it’s making its way to the the weather forum of all places....sad really :(

• Advertisement

Place falling apart outside, bunch of my new trees snapped in half and the wind is driving the rain past the seals on the new windows :mad::mad:
    Worst storm in the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Gust of 62 knots in Newport at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The gusts hitting the house here are like a bass drum sound. Its making creeks from the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Finally died down from the roar of wind, hail and rain.

North Cork Limerick border

Edit: picked up again at around 4.00 and still at it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Not bad here in East Clare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not on roost from Donegal or sligo overnight ?

Peak for eat Galway was prob 5-7pm yesterday evening thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

km79 wrote: »
    Not on roost from Donegal or sligo overnight ?

Peak for eat Galway was prob 5-7pm yesterday evening thankfully

??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well it was a fairly rough night up here in North Donegal.

Woke a few times during the night. I'm a light sleeper and it was likely the winds that did it.

Couple of minor power cuts, longest lasted 30mins.

There was a bit of lightning and thunder at about 10pm last night, loudest thunder I've heard in many years, must have been very close to house.

On commute this morning a few branches down on roads, only one large enough to block the Road, white van man moved that!

Still windy this morning but definitely down a level from previous 12hrs.

Glad to see the back of Gareth.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

??

On the dog and bone I'd say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 13/03/19 7.20 temperature 4°C
    oJ1JJid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭onlyonpaper

Just east of Sligo town. 7.4c at mo and still very blustery but well down on peak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

tikkamark wrote: »
    There seems to be an increase of snide remarks on boards in general and now it’s making its way to the the weather forum of all places....sad really :(

What sort of snide remarks have you happened upon, prey tell? I don't recall anything derogatory or underhanded in the weather forum, in terms of comments/statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Hope the damage isnt to bad in the nw. A bit of a non event in the midlands. Probably fresh to strong breeze and i expext to see small twigs littering the road. Max gust of 60 around dinner time, another of 50kmph at 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

KAGY wrote: »
    Hope the damage isnt to bad in the nw. A bit of a non event in the midlands. Probably fresh to strong breeze and i expext to see small twigs littering the road. Max gust of 60 around dinner time, another of 50kmph at 5am

60km/h? Surely it was higher than that!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    60km/h? Surely it was higher than that!
    Wouldn't be surprised if that's all in got to. I'm in the east midlands and it was a regular windyish night. Nothing of note at all which is what I expected.

Dublin Airport, which is very exposed, had a maximum mean wind speed of 36mph which is barely near gale force 7. It was mainly in the force 6/strong breeze category.

This was always going to be a northern/western event and I'm still perplexed that Dublin got a very obvious mention on the news/weather forecast yesterday. I'm about 40km west of Dublin city centre and I'm at my exposed to a west wind so I highly doubt that winds in Dublin were more severe than where I am located.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Max gust at my station in Arklow was 84kmh just after midnight
    Plenty guests in the 60s and 70s overnight with averages in the 40 to 50 range making it a noisy night here but nothing bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Still gusting to 60 here btw and whistling
    10 min average is currently 42kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Luckily I only encountered one large branch partially blocking the other side of the road on the drive to work this morning, someone else might have gotten a surprise though. Considered getting out to move it but didn't think it was worth risking it with a few gusts still hanging around, and large trees all around.

Luckily I only encountered one large branch partially blocking the other side of the road on the drive to work this morning, someone else might have gotten a surprise though. Considered getting out to move it but didn't think it was worth risking it with a few gusts still hanging around, and large trees all around.

I often have that same temptation as well on the local roads near home but in the end I always put my own safety first. No point in unnecessarily risking your own safety for someone else. If you can get around the obstacle without having to get out of your car to move it, then chances are another motorist can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

a warm thanks to our experts here for excellent coverage...

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maximum gusts for Storm Gareth as of 0900 UTC on 13th Mar 2019 in comparison with other storms of this season and notable depressions of the 2010s decade.

Axgj30P.png

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Maximum gusts for Storm Gareth as of 0900 UTC on 13th Mar 2019 in comparison with other storms of this season and notable depressions of the 2010s decade.

If I have time later, I'll edit this post and add 3 January 2012 storm.

Did not mean to include Erich and Darwin twice. Will edit that too later.

oP7yhvx.png

Data from Met Éireann.

Bawbag??? Did the Scots name that one?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This storm Gareth reminded me of a storm we had back in 1990.
    It wasn't as intense as that one, but the duration of it was something similar, also, just as with that one, the winds abated for a while only to increase again, and it was still howling at around 3:30 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bit of a damp squib in Tralee.
    Had some rain and hail and a bit of wind.

Advertisement