Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Graces7 wrote: »
    Of course; we most of us realise that the world's weather is deteriorating fast and visible and experientially. so yes weather events are getting worse. not a cliche to be dismissed ; simple fact

Been in Mayo 2 years and have seen this clearly here. Gareth is a full example. a sustained severe storm preceded by a lesser event as bad in some areas.

so yes, worst here in a long time. and still raging out here now.shaking the house. set to last all night

Two years is far too short a period of time to say that the weather in your location is the worst in a long time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Record of gusts and pressure readings so far. A fair bit to go yet before it starts to ease and then only slowly.. will be quite breezy in the E, SE for a time tomorrow.

anim_tzp8.gif

anim_jim3.gif

Latest gust readings.

rafales_uk_fqi5.png

anim_uoz0.gif

Gs0OpsP.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

102 km/hr in Castlebar is the highest we have reached so far today, it got quite stormy around 15.00, but besides that and some heavy showers, the severe gusts have been very infrequent, a wet wild day but nothing out of the ordinary.

The event Friday night into Saturday was far more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Quite stormy in Sligo

I eat my words from earlier

They got it spot on for here

Id say wev past the peak winds here which were possibly 60 knots but still near enough those speeds

Id imagine some trees down in county.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very rough up in North Donegal, near malin Head.

Some very noisy gusts. Going to be a bad night for sleep, I can never sleep well these kind of nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Very rough up in North Donegal.

Some very noisy gusts. Going to be a bad night for sleep, I can never sleep well these kind of nights.
    These are the nights where I don't fall asleep to the radio - I love lying in bed listening to the wind howling and the rain hammering down!

Seems to have calmed down quite a bit (relatively speaking) where i am near Bloody Foreland - the turf isn't getting blown around in the stove any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same in Letterkenny, seemed to peak between 5 and 6pm (just in time for rush hour :rolleyes:) but still plenty of strong gusts and heavy showers. Definitely the strongest storm of the winter here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Currently gusting up to 65 mph on my weather station in Galway

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nuac wrote: »
    Grace7 lives on an island so I would accept her description.
    Windy and gusty here in sheltered Westport
    Hope everyone keeps safe

Yup and my parents are out in a very exposed spot near Louisburgh and reckon last night was much worse, while I'm finding the last 3 hours just mad stormy with the guts vibrating the office here.
    So it can be very localised, hitting some areas worse than others.
    https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.85;-10.06;8&l=gust&t=20190313/2200&m=icon_eu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Just a regular fairly windy night in North Kildare, as I expected. Nothing noteworthy at all.

I do realise that the west and north are getting much higher wind speeds but since this storm was first discussed, the various weather models have not supported anything severe at all in eastern and southern parts of the country. Going by the weather conditions this evening, the models have been pretty accurate. My home is is generally quite sheltered due to hills in every direction except from south west clockwise round to north. I'm currently as exposed as can be yet it's just a typical windy night here however the weather this evening is more or less exactly as I expected it to be.

• Advertisement

Lightning just now.

Trees down at holy well, bunninadden and grange

Widespread power outtages Donegal

Picked up again here, gone really wild again with huge roaring gusts, flash of lightning just now as well! Been a while since we had a good old fashioned storm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Same in Letterkenny, seemed to peak between 5 and 6pm (just in time for rush hour :rolleyes:) but still plenty of strong gusts and heavy showers. Definitely the strongest storm of the winter here

yeah, I'd agree, definitely the strongest storm this winter for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

pauldry wrote: »
    Lightning just now.

Trees down at holy well, bunninadden and grange

Widespread power outtages Donegal

That was a very loud bang of Thunder.
    Also i believe that there was an ESB pole hit someplace around Ballintogher tonight with lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Picked up again here, gone really wild again with huge roaring gusts, flash of lightning just now as well! Been a while since we had a good old fashioned storm :D

Same here, after a wee lull it’s gotten very noisy again.

You’re right, it’s ages since we had a proper rough night!

ESB grand here so far. Pity the people without and the folks out in the elements repairing in the morning.

mobil 222 wrote: »
    That was a very loud bang of Thunder.
    Also i believe that there was an ESB pole hit someplace around Ballintogher tonight with lightning.

Yes ESB pole in Ballintogher actually went on fire after lightning strike

Is that Orange enough a warning for ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I would describe Limerick as windy.

It's not quite stormy yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well you've changed your tune since early this morning;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Power went for about 10 minutes here in Achill just now. Very squally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah. Would have to agree. Definitely the strongest storm of the year here in Donegal Town. Still blowing some vicious gusts.

• Advertisement

Went out there and definitely Sligos strongest storm since Eleanor.

Jaysis. As I type the trees outside are at full stretch n windows shook. Seems more NNW now. Front of house hearing gusts now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

West must be mental, north east here and the windows are bending.

Sounds like it's ramping up again here in NW Donegal .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

West must be mental, north east here and the windows are bending.

East Galway is fine
    Thankfully it went north

Well you've changed your tune since early this morning;)

Don't mind rain or wind when its actually interesting, its the endless grey crappiness of the past couple of weeks that gets me complaining ;)

Took a quick vid just now but doesn't really capture the roaring wind unless you turn volume up to max. The trees are getting a good workout at least!

https://streamable.com/bvjox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

pauldry wrote: »
    Went out there and definitely Sligos strongest storm since Eleanor.

Jaysis. As I type the trees outside are at full stretch n windows shook. Seems more NNW now. Front of house hearing gusts now.

Gusting 54 knots at Sligo Airport now but the strongest so far was 59 knots at 20:38.

SPECI EISG 122038Z AUTO 27037G59KT 4300 BR FEW015 BKN029 OVC041 07/05 Q0995=

Lights flashing again

Hope power stays on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Lecky just gone here. South Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Had a bit of thunder and lightning around an hour ago here in County Derry. Wind has fairly picked up again too, rain going sideways. Miserable evening but I'm all tucked up in bed listening to it.

• Advertisement

Sounds like the roof is going to lift off here.... so much for the worst is over :eek:

I'll be going out to do a slate count in the morning.....

Advertisement