Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

They don't care what's going on.

That's beyond presumptious, but you're entitled to your small minded, reverse snobbery, ill informed opinion... I suppose :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That's beyond presumptious, but you're entitled to your small minded, reverse snobbery, ill informed opinion... I suppose :P

The rugby hive are a special bunch.

Edit - sorry, I forgot the :P (whatever that's about).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It’s almost as bad as those rugby tossers shhhhhhing at the television waiting for a kick to be taken.

Or shouting anything at the TV. As if the ref and players can hear you!

Don't think it's exclusive to rugby unfortunately

Perifect wrote: »
    Congratulations. :D

I've completely forgotten the train of argument on this, but thanks, I'll take it.

It’s almost as bad as those rugby tossers shhhhhhing at the television waiting for a kick to be taken.

I remember seeing a lad on the phone getting shushed in a pub during a rugby match before and without hesitation he just roared "they can't ****ing hear us". I don't know what was better, the twat going scarlet as the penny dropped that they couldn't hear the pub or the glorious laughter that followed a few seconds later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Perifect wrote:
    You can support Ireland! You can still watch loads of soccer, why do you have to support a team you have no connection with and you've never actually been there even?

Why are you so worked up about it is the more pertinent question?

(whatever that's about).

Is there anything much you do understand you'd like to discuss seeing as rugby and emoji are not common ground.

I remember seeing a lad on the phone getting shushed in a pub during .

All gob****es talking on their phone in a pub regardless of the situation should be shushed.

Is there anything much you do understand you'd like to discuss seeing as rugby and emoji are not common ground.

You're an absolutely ridiculous person and that response (along with all the pointless :P) is befitting of a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

It’s an advanced covert program by MI6 to infiltrate the Irish consciousness.

• Advertisement

All gob****es talking on their phone in a pub regardless of the situation should be hushed.

He was heading for the door, like most normal people would. But we're talking about a twat who wants people to be silent during a kick in a pub because they do it in the ground. In a pub.

Taking a phonecall doesn't even register on that scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Necro wrote: »

It's a familiar stance with a lot of the LOI fans I've found. Thankfully they are not all like that.

You're an absolutely ridiculous person and that response (along with all the pointless :P) is befitting of a child.

That hurt. I'm telling my ma!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Not bothered reading through all this and I'm sure it's already been said, but unless you have a dad or someone bringing you to LOI games when you're young, you've no real exposure to the league at all. By the time you discover Ireland even has a league you likely already have an English team you support as that's all you knew. And then you can hardly change team after that once you have a "connection" with the English, or at least most can't.

My dad wasn't a huge football fan by any means, but used to speak of an admiration of "the way Liverpool did things" back when we'd watch games/motd together and he'd like to see them do well (this was the 90s so they'd be hit and miss at that stage). So naturally I did too and things went from there.

My younger brother on the other hand had a friend who's dad was a Shamrock Rovers season ticket holder and used to bring them to games every other Friday night, so as a result his team is Rovers and he himself now has a season ticket at Tallaght Stadium.

Thanks to my bro I look out for rovers results and want them to do well, but I can't just change "my" team now even though I agree in an ideal world we'd all support our local teams.

He was heading for the door...

Any more you'd like to add to your fascinating anecdote or is that the full unabridged and unrevisable version?

Any more you'd like to add to your fascinating anecdote or is that the full unabridged and unrevisable version?

Very little but I can tell you exactly where he shouted it from and if he was sitting there he'd have been sitting on the floor in the middle of the way. It's not that difficult.

Would you like me to draw you a rough map?

Spleerbun wrote: »

Thanks to my bro I look out for rovers results and want them to do well, but I can't just change "my" team now even though I agree in an ideal world we'd all support our local teams.

I can see how someone could change their religion, but the football team they supported as a kid? C'est impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

sugarman wrote: »

I LOVE football in general, I'll watch any aul game. Id be lying if I said I didnt like English football, I watch 3/4 games of it a week. But I dont and never will support anyone side. Im partial to some sides more than others but thats the same for La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivise etc.. I can watch them, without being a "supporter" or "fan" of any club, but rather a fan of the leagues.

That's great, and nobody should knock you for it.

Same should go the other way. It wouldn't bother me who you support, nor should it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You can support Ireland! You can still watch loads of soccer, why do you have to support a team you have no connection with and you've never actually been there even?

Why should you have to have a connection to follow them?

Enjoy watching them play? Follow away to your hearts content

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sugarman wrote:
    But the majority are armchair fans that have never been to a game, sit at home in front of their Sky Sports in their Jerseys week in/out cheering them on while bemoaning the LOI and ROI teams about standard and quality etc.. how do either stand a chance when thats the general attitude?

Have you a source for this or is it your own opinion? Practically all of the people I know who like the sport have been to live games of all descriptions.

Local league, LOI, Premier League, International, even some La Liga or other European league matches.

They just like football, and yeah they'd support English clubs primarily but there's nothing wrong with that imo.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Its pathetic, we're just a nation of event junkies, glory hunters and band wagoners.

Phew, for a second there I thought you were talking about the likes of me. 29 years and after 2018/2019 probably still counting.

And when did you become a SR fan? They were very successful during my formative years, thinking not bloody Rovers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

Ya but your Dad wasn't from Liverpool was he?

My Dad used to to look out for Palace in the English League owing to connections he had in Croydon.

But we never got fully into supporting them. Wearing jersisies and chanting daft songs.

imo....anyone who involves themselves in this type of behaviour is borderline retarded anyway. So I don't see what difference it makes who they attach their silly dreams to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I've completely forgotten the train of argument on this, but thanks, I'll take it.

I'll remind you, I made a show of you and you have left with your tail between your legs.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

The League of Ireland and the Bundesliga are the two most enjoyable leagues for me.

Necro wrote: »

Not worked up at all, just think it's sad. And it is.

I'll remind you, I made a show of you and you have left with your tail between your legs.

Good to know these things, the masterclass of 'showing' has gone over my head. But, well done you, keep it up.

Why should you have to have a connection to follow them?

Enjoy watching them play? Follow away to your hearts content

Why just pick one team out of a foreign country? There are hundreds of countries and thousands of teams, why pick one out if you just like watching soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is it because Irish teams are ****e and English teams are far superior?

I take it you follow France over Ireland so?

Good to know these things, the masterclass of 'showing' has gone over my head. But, well done you, keep it up.

Not the first time something has gone over your head and it certainly won't be the last. :D

• Advertisement

It's got to be perifect.

You just love my name capall.

Advertisement