Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Simply, and I don't mean to offend, you're deluded.

Well another poster referred to middle of the Championship. Talking about the top teams here. Do you think there is a crazy gulf between middle of the Championship and Huddersfield and Fulham? I don't see it myself. A team in the middle of the Championship today can string a few results together and be promoted in the playoffs in May.

Marketing tells us there are these gulfs, our experiences might challenge that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

8-10 wrote: »
    And I feel a real sense of belonging at Anfield. That's what supporting your team is about.

That seems utterly bizarre to me. Good luck to you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The people who have an problem with people supporting English teams are the issue. Who cares?

Seems to be some of sort of inferiority complex/chip on shoulder thing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Edenmoar wrote: »
    That seems utterly bizarre to me. Good luck to you anyway.

Is it as bizzare as a bohs fan from Tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That seems utterly bizarre to me.

Maybe you don't understand sports. I feel the same about Fenway and the Red Sox. A lot more than any baseball teams in the Irish league

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

limnam wrote: »
    Is it as bizzare as a bohs fan from Tallaght?

It’s far more bizarre and you know that. Anyway I’ve nothing more to add to this convo but I hope you all try and get a match in in the LOI this season.

It’s far more bizarre and you know that. Anyway I’ve nothing more to add to this convo but I hope you all try and get a match in in the LOI this season.

How so?

A tallaght person has many local teams but decides to follow bohs.

You said its about where you're from?

So is there a km limit you impose? or ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well another poster referred to middle of the Championship. Talking about the top teams here. Do you think there is a crazy gulf between middle of the Championship and Huddersfield and Fulham? I don't see it myself. A team in the middle of the Championship today can string a few results together and be promoted in the playoffs in May.

Marketing tells us there are these gulfs, our experiences might challenge that.

First of all you're assuming I agree with middle championship level. That'd be a mistake.

Nottingham Forrest, a significant size club that have won 2 European championships were relegated to tier 3 of the English league as recently as 2006/7.

To think Dundalk or Cork (Look at them this season) could compete in even the third tier is laughable. The very best of the best i.e. Seanie Maguire of Cork get poached by the second tier English clubs. But, that's only the best. If LOI players were as good as tier 3 players in the English league that's where they would be playing. Even Cork lost 9 players from last season because their season/1 year contracts were up.

Well you have things like this

53473673_10161676186775089_270711707062501376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=3692f7902ffe6258ddaf88426f395e82&oe=5CDF54AC

Saw plenty of half 'n' half Liverpool / Rangers scarves when I used to visit Belfast regularly c12-15 years ago.

Official merc? :pac:

I see your fan made tat and raise you...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0502/959889-victorious-liverpool-players-offer-support-to-sean-cox/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

And I feel a real sense of belonging at Anfield. That's what supporting your team is about.

Do you think the Scousers really think you belong?

I'm not trying to offend here, but I truly think that proper football men from England are baffled as to why Irish people can be obsessive fans of a foreign club. Go to a FB group like Football Away Days, numerous fans complaining that the atmosphere just isn't what it used to be because of the presence of too many daytrippers.

It's great to see foreign football tourists at LOI games as you often do but these lads are purists, a gawk at the local team is an essential part of the holiday and something I like to fit in when I'm away myself, but I'd be amazed to meet anyone from Holland in the boozer afterwards who goes on about how ****e the Eredivise is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

So it's not just an Irish thing.

Glad we cleared that up.

Yes. It is primarily just an Irish thing, in Europe at least.

You mean blue nose* Everton fans?:P

* I think that's a banable offence in the soccer forum. :rolleyes:

Do bohs fans think tallaght people belong in dalymount?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

That’s a topic for a different thread. The OP is basically saying Irish Catholics should support Everton just like they should support Celtic.

I disagree with both, we should be far past using religion as the basis for doing anything. We have free will, we are no longer obliged to follow the church blindly

But overall I don’t even agree with the assertion the Everton is a Catholic club and Liverpool isn’t. Both are far more diverse and international these days, I don’t think that opinion is based in reality. If they’re officially Catholic they don’t show it and haven’t mentioned it anytime recently

You are wrong-Everton is recognised as the Catholic club and Liverpool was always traditionally protestant.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    You are wrong-Everton is recognised as the Catholic club and Liverpool was always traditionally protestant.

Recognised by who, the UN or the 19th century?

You are wrong-Everton is recognised as the Catholic club

Link please

I'm not claiming to be from the city, I'm not saying I'm a scouser.

But yes always get a great welcome there, it's a very friendly city and has some great Irish links going back, I think Michael D was over there recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Those who follow English teams are active participants in the long standing and active process of turning Ireland into little England. Speak English, watch English tv, follow English teams, act like English people, mirror societal views from England, this list goes on. Then you have some of the younger generation aiming for the little America title. What's wrong with our own culture? I'll point out, this is not only an issue for Ireland, many countries are also turning their backs on their own traditions.

Perifect wrote: »
    Those who follow English teams are active participants in the long standing and active process of turning Ireland into little England. Speak English, watch English tv, follow English teams, act like English people, mirror societal views from England, this list goes on. Then you have some of the younger generation aiming for the little America title. What's wrong with our own culture? I'll point out, this is not only an issue for Ireland, many countries are also turning their backs on their own traditions.

Which is worse culturally in terms of turning back on traditions in your opinion, speaking English or supporting a Premier League team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That's one thing is true. In 10-20 years Irishness will be a thing of the past and within 30 we'll be back where we started in the Union.

• Advertisement

and here you're typing out the queens English instead of hanging around the tg4 forums.

If you're not part of the solution....

You might have some credence if you posted that as gaeilge. :p

It's multi cultural world. There's literally an entire world outside of the comely maidens dancing at the cross roads. And, btw, would the local LOI garrison playing teams be Irish enough for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Is it because Irish teams are ****e and English teams are far superior?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Link please

I don't need a link I live there-btw,I think it's a good thing that there is a healthy interest in the EPL-I'm on twitter and follow Everton supporters clubs in Ireland,NI and the US.
    I think the Catholic/Protestant thing in Liverpool has gradually died out since the 70's,but traditionally it existed-Everton were originally called St Domingo FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They were both formed by the same people who were members of the same church, a Protestant church.

That's one thing is true. In 10-20 years Irishness will be a thing of the past and within 30 we'll be back where we started in the Union.

We're already in the union. The EUROPEAN Union, which are doing a fine job having our back against perfidious Albion :pac:

Is it because Irish teams are ****e and English teams are far superior?

The quality is defintiley part of the problem, match day experience etc

Which is worse culturally in terms of turning back on traditions in your opinion, speaking English or supporting a Premier League team?

It's all apart of the one thing. It's sad.

and here you're typing out the queens English instead of hanging around the tg4 forums.

If you're not part of the solution....

Maybe I'm speaking American English? Where did I say I was part of the solution?

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm speaking American English? Where did I say I was part of the solution?

I took by "those who" that you're not one of them...

Advertisement