Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options
1707172737476»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Aside from levels of fanaticism i.e casual and dedicate, to me there's fans and there's match-going fans. I'd place match-going fans higher on the totem poll in that they physically and vocally support the team, as well as financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with your knowledge because you dont have any. To be a football fan you go to gaes in your city or country...
    It is brainwashing. End of. Look at the ads on tv now. "Football is back":rolleyes: and all the barstoolers getting moist over this "fact"...

Yes the English Premier league is back so to many football is back.. hundreds of millions of football fans care, nobody is going to force you to watch it. You can blame sky all you want but there's also the fact that local teams didnt do enough to get local people to games, they didn't sell the whole "your local team" the way the GAA did.

I've been a football fan for 28 years and played the game for 15, I know far more about football then the average person. The problem is you want to make up fairytale rules that billions of people don't recognise and you want to talk about the way YOU wish football was rather than the way football is. Well I'd rather live in the real world where I can support an English team and an Irish team so that I can get the best of both worlds. If a person can't tell the difference between advertising and brainwashing its the same thing as someone who cant tell the difference between violence in a film and violence in real life. If they were the same thing it would be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I was born and raised in Tipperary. My mother kept the home when Dad worked.

Dad worked in the merchant navy for yrs and loved soccer.

He lived in Inchicore when I was born. He was an officer on the Holyhead ferry.

We used to go to Richmond Park. Some of my earliest memomories in life are of him swearing and getting angry with me up on his lap.

He was a very emotive man, but very loving.

I just could never get why most of Dublin and the rest of the country supported the English league .

Because it's the most popular & richiest league in the world.

Might as well ask why so many Americans, Asians & Africans support English teams.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yes the English Premier league is back so to many football is back.. hundreds of millions of football fans care, nobody is going to force you to watch it. You can blame sky all you want but there's also the fact that local teams didnt do enough to get local people to games, they didn't sell the whole "your local team" the way the GAA did.

I've been a football fan for 28 years and played the game for 15, I know far more about football then the average person. The problem is you want to make up fairytale rules that billions of people don't recognise and you want to talk about the way YOU wish football was rather than the way football is. Well I'd rather live in the real world where I can support an English team and an Irish team so that I can get the best of both worlds. If a person can't tell the difference between advertising and brainwashing its the same thing as someone who cant tell the difference between violence in a film and violence in real life. If they were the same thing it would be illegal.

I used to be a big fan of the Argentine & Brazilian leagues.
    Remember the Vasco Da Gama team that beat United in the first Fifa Club World Cup? They were filled with class players all over the pitch, Romario & Edmundo up front, Juninho, Amaral & Felipe in midfield, Jorginho & Gilberto playing as wing backs, Junior Baiano & Odvan as center backs & Helton (the former Porto keeper) in goal. And then Vasco were beaten in the final by a very good Corinthians team that featured players like Dida, Vampeta, Edu & Ricardinho.
    You wouldn't get quality like that in Brazilian teams anymore.
    I was also a big fan of the Boca team around the same period that had Riquelme, Palermo, Samuel, Battaglia, Delgado, Burdisso & Ibarra in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Because it's the most popular & richiest league in the world.

Might as well ask why so many Americans, Asians & Africans support English teams.

Africa is a good example I think at it has a lot of English team supporters despite many of them never going to England.

I watched the first episode of new Amazon Prime documentary "This Is Football" last week. It was excellent. Told the story of football fans in Rwanda, particularly Liverpool fans, and how they used football to come together after the genocide.

It even shows scenes of a game between Liverpool supporters versus Rayon Sports (local Rwanda team) supporters

Doesn't seem to be any animosity towards the fact that they choose to support an English club instead of a local club. And their support is real. One man called his son "Ian Rush"!

I fully recommend it, here's a trailer and article about it:

https://youtu.be/bMrZ-LaOqAY

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jul/26/this-is-football-magic-of-the-game

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Africa is a good example I think at it has a lot of English team supporters despite many of them never going to England.

I watched the first episode of new Amazon Prime documentary "This Is Football" last week. It was excellent. Told the story of football fans in Rwanda, particularly Liverpool fans, and how they used football to come together after the genocide.

It even shows scenes of a game between Liverpool supporters versus Rayon Sports (local Rwanda team) supporters

Doesn't seem to be any animosity towards the fact that they choose to support an English club instead of a local club. And their support is real. One man called his son "Ian Rush"!

I fully recommend it, here's a trailer and article about it:

https://youtu.be/bMrZ-LaOqAY

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/jul/26/this-is-football-magic-of-the-game

Yep, very interesting alright.

Japan, China & Korea have pretty big support bases also, up until recently the Club World Cup was always held in Japan, since I think the early 1970's. It never got a lot of media attention inside Europe, but was a pretty big deal in Japan, and the South American team (it's always been a South American & European team playing each other in the final) always took it pretty seriously.

And there seems to be a trend now for big name players in the twilight of their careers to go & play in Asia, the States or oil rich Middle East teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I used to be a big fan of the Argentine & Brazilian leagues.
    Remember the Vasco Da Gama team that beat United in the first Fifa Club World Cup? They were filled with class players all over the pitch, Romario & Edmundo up front, Juninho, Amaral & Felipe in midfield, Jorginho & Gilberto playing as wing backs, Junior Baiano & Odvan as center backs & Helton (the former Porto keeper) in goal...

I do. I love the Premiership as its part of my childhood but I accept the fact that having the biggest clubs in the world paying far higher wages than the rest of the world is bad for football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Greyfox wrote: »

I know far more about football then the average person.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Does your tele know you're here?

Advertisement