Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

That’s presumably because they were with you, a regular.

The one LOI game I went to the supporters were huddled under a shed passing a bottle of vodka around. Locker room talk galore, most of the time was spent on social media trying to show how hardcore they were.

Some of the chanting was obnoxious ‘**** English Football’ ‘Bomb the Premier League’ etc.

liotta-laughing-gif-6.gif

The one LOI game I went to the supporters were huddled under a shed passing a bottle of vodka around. Locker room talk galore, most of the time was spent on social media trying to show how hardcore they were.

Some of the chanting was obnoxious ‘**** English Football’ ‘Bomb the Premier League’ etc.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

[749014.jpg?b64lines=IFRIQVQgTkVWRVIsIFVILCBIQVBQRU5FRCwKIERJRCBJVD8=

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Where was this? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

I’d rather not say, lest I tar all Shamrock Rovers supporters with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

limnam wrote: »
    Little do they know it's the chip that stops some people from getting involved in LOI
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Funny that not one of the dozens of people I've brought to Tolka over the years received anything but a warm welcome from the regulars no matter who they supported.

100% this. My mate was a die hard Man United fan and nothing else mattered. He got bitten by the bug of live football and he's now a season ticket holder at Bohs. We go around the whole country following them, literally following them, and we've made some brilliant mates from that. It's fantastic. Many of the group I go with were simply friends of friends and now we're our own group. It's always always a warm welcome to any new people.

Anybody who thinks people from 'outside' are sneered at ask yourself this; How in the hell would anyone even know that you're new? You're not made to wear a badge or a leper bell. It's a pure myth.

My mate still likes Man United btw and had the audacity to enjoy their win the other night.

Oh, I agree, for me it's be Cork, but I've never actually been to a Cork game. Part of the reason is that where I'm living is not Cork :) and my friends wouldn't go to a local game. I've been meaning to go to a Limerick v Cork game.

You absolutely should give it a go. They're in different divisions at the moment but the Munster Derby can be tasty enough. The skills won't always be breath taking but the passion is great on the pitch and off it and you'll still see talented players like Karl Sheppard, returning stars like Damien Delaney and then maybe the next up and comers like Seanny Maguire or maybe even a Wes Hoolahan or James McClean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I'm from limerick and have a bohs season ticket.
    Where do I fall into this?

I'd say none of that happened except the drinking. ''Bomb the Premier League''. Would ya give over. 9 out of 10 of them are probably United/Liverpool fans.

I'll ask again, how would anyone know you're new?

• Advertisement

OP you haven’t answered my question.

Do you expect Kerry man and women to support Cork City?

I'd say somewhere between Never Never Land and Narnia.

Depends if they want to bomb the Premier League or not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Know plenty of Mayo supporters for Sligo or Galway United. Similarly Clare supportes of Limerick FC.

Most of underage setups for the clubs take in players from neighbouring counties. Very important for the players continue their studies while playing.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Depends if they want to bomb the Premier League or not really.

You have no answer.

And therein lies the difference between supporting a GAA team and a LOI franchise.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Know plenty of Mayo supporters for Sligo or Galway United. Similarly Clare supportes of Limerick FC.

Most of underage setups for the clubs take in players from neighbouring counties. Very important for the players continue their studies while playing.

That’s great but when it is two counties with the sporting rivalry that Cork and Kerry have then you won’t find Kerry people supporting Cork City.

Cork City don’t even represent the rest of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I know several men from Cavan who support Dundalk.
    Regular attenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You have no answer.

And therein lies the difference between supporting a GAA team and a LOI franchise.

Im sure people drink and curse at GAA as well

Can't really see any bohs chants directed at pats or rovers being used at a GAA match. Can't really see Dublin supporters call Cork supporters **** and vice versa. Does gaa even have any chants or songs?
    It's a different kettle of fish.

That’s great but when it is two counties with the sporting rivalry that Cork and Kerry have then you won’t find Kerry people supporting Cork City.

Five-Reasons-To-Laugh-More.jpg

You have no answer.

Ok, your anecdote is total bollocks off the bat. How could you see what lads are putting on their social media, are you creeping over their phones? Secondly, the ''bomb the premier league'' thing is among the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this entire site. Thirdly, you say you've been to one LOI game. One ever and a few lads in ''the shed'' was enough to turn you off. Where was this can I ask and when? Oh and btw, you absolutely have no idea what the word franchise means, stop using embarrassing yourself by using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ehh Galway Mayo rivalry is quiet the sporting rivalry as you put it.

Say that in Turners Cross for the next home game and you will be laughed out of the place. Frankly I think your just full of ****

Exactly, Man United and Arsenal do.

Ok let me break it you fellas.

Nobody in Kerry supports Cork City.

giphy.gif

Yeah, you won't answer any direct questions put to you.

Exactly, Man United and Arsenal do.

They don’t to the same extent that Cork Cory dont.

So after that it’s about choosing a team you want to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Thats the strangest thing I found when arrived here. Many people even asked what premire league team I support, I not follow football even in my country and I would support an English team? And one time I bought a manchester t shirt (probably only because it was half price and was not original) and when I used people asked this and that, I didn't even one player on that team.

Wombatkicker, I'm reasonable enough if you want to actually engage. Asked you these already but got no reply. I'll ask again.

-How could you see what lads are putting on their social media, are you creeping over their phones?
    -You went to one LOI game ever and a few lads in ''the shed'' was enough to turn you off. Where was this can I ask and when?
    -How in the hell would anyone even know that you're new to a stadium?

Wombatkicker, I'm reasonable enough if you want to actually engage. Asked you these already but got no reply. I'll ask again.

-How could you see what lads are putting on their social media, are you creeping over their phones?
    -You went to one LOI game ever and a few lads in ''the shed'' was enough to turn you off. Where was this can I ask and when?
    -How in the hell would anyone even know that you're new to a stadium?

- They made it obvious by roaring into snapchat stories about being ‘proper football fans’

- As I said already I don’t want to name the location. 10 years ago.

- They seemed to know right off the bat. I am mixed race and got comments all night that could be summed up as ‘you’re not from round ‘ere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Look up John O'Sullivan on Twitter. A massive Cork fan from Kerry. Was actually running the club at one point. Also on a trip to Killarney many years ago saw a lady wearing a Cork polo shirt but the crest colours were green and gold. Under the crest it said Cork City Kerry Supporters Club.

Advertisement