Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,188 ✭✭✭✭km79

Last time mayo played Galway in a knockout championship game
    1999 in Tuam
    My family remember that day fondly
    Very fondly indeed

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

vid36 wrote: »
    The Hyde was unavailable for a potential Connacht final replay so it will probably be unavailable next weekend. I think Limerick has to be a possibility.

That would be ludicrous. I'm sure most people in Galway and Mayo would take a coin toss for a home venue over that.

That would be ludicrous. I'm sure most people in Galway and Mayo would take a coin toss for a home venue over that.

I’d prefer limerick over both !

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Ennis is a nice spot for the game. The terraces would be packed so atmosphere would be great.

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Ennis is a nice spot for the game. The terraces would be packed so atmosphere would be great.

Agreed
    But what’s the capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    I’d prefer limerick over both !

It's probably the biggest pitch?It would probably be Mayo's preference given our difficulties breaking down the Galway defensive setup.I was very impressed with surface when we played Cork and Limerick there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Last time mayo played Galway in a knockout championship game
    1999 in Tuam
    My family remember that day fondly
    Very fondly indeed

;)

Horan cut loose that day

Agreed
    But what’s the capacity

According to the ever reliable wikipedia :) it's 19,000 but I thought it only held around 14,000 when we played them there?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Agreed
    But what’s the capacity

Dunno what it is these days. Anyone who really wants a ticket would get in but the GAA will probably hope to draw in a few neutrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I took out an insurance policy..

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Horan cut loose that day

A corner back converted into a Centre forward did too
    Maybe we will see that at some stage next weekend again !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Agreed
    But what’s the capacity

Just under 20k I believe. its on the border of being too small. Gaelic grounds would be a bit unfair for Mayo supporters but with the moterway not too bad, would suit me down to the ground tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Just under 20k I believe. its on the border of being too small. Gaelic grounds would be a bit unfair for Mayo supporters but with the moterway not too bad, would suit me down to the ground tho.

That's the thing, by having to drive through Galway to get there, it comes across as being geographically unfair. Although, the same can probably be said about Tullamore as I'd imagine most Mayo supporters would drive through Tuam to get to Tullamore via motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Panrich

What about Longford?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Limerick, double header with Cork and Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You'd need to be there at 12.00 to get into the Mackem.

Galway are playing Mayo this weekend in minor this weekend too. It would be nice to double it up with that but I dont think that will be possible as I guess the minor championship is based on a Connacht home / away basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Coin flip anyone? That was the word at the Cul Camp. Pure speculation I'd say but the same lad is fairly clued in.

Galway are playing Mayo this weekend in minor this weekend too. It would be nice to double it up with that but I dont think that will be possible as I guess the minor championship is based on a Connacht home / away basis.

That's on Friday night in Tuam.

It would make sense to do a double header.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mayopanda84

yop wrote: »

Im starting to think logically this might be the way they go, its 50-50 distance wise for both cork and laois.
    only other option would be double header in Thurles, or play cork laois on its own in an empty thurles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Would be silly to play Mayo v Galway outside of Connacht. Hyde Park has no such restrictions for qualifier games 18 to 20k max i'd expect as Galway won't travel in big numbers. John Prenty however might try and get two sides to toss for home advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Barlett

PARlance wrote: »
    Coin flip anyone? That was the word at the Cul Camp. Pure speculation I'd say but the same lad is fairly clued in.

Heard that alright, but would be surprised if Mayo agree to that , playing in the rain with gale force wind on Sat night won’t be much fun for anyone if it’s in Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mayopanda84

Barlett wrote: »
    Heard that alright, but would be surprised if Mayo agree to that , playing in the rain with gale force wind on Sat night won’t be much fun for anyone if it’s in Salthill

Hearing that the GAA want a coin Toss, but Horan is refusing. all speculation at this stage

Barlett wrote: »

No way we should ageee to it
    Literally every other possible venue suits us better than those 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

PARlance wrote: »

Saw it mentioned on twitter that a coin flip was offered, one team accepted and the other refused. So will now be decided by the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Galway offered Mayo refused straight away. Absolutely correct decision

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I'd sooner take Tuam over Salthill. Traffic not great for both, but Tuam is closer to Mayo and the wind can ruin a game in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Galway offered Mayo refused straight away. Absolutely correct decision

Grand but let's have zero complaints about wherever council decide so. Watch people flip a gasket now when Limerick is chosen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

yop wrote: »

That's what I'm thinking too. Only 1 TV crew for Sky.
    I hear there's works going on at the moment in the Hyde.

• Advertisement

I'd sooner take Tuam over Salthill. Traffic not great for both, but Tuam is closer to Mayo and the wind can ruin a game in Salthill.

Tuam can't hold capacity for this and is also currently being worked on. Would not be appropriate for this match.

It is interesting that Mayo seem to have turned down coin toss. 50 / 50 chance of getting Castlebar. Unless they dont want to play Galway in Castlebar???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement