Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

irishgeo wrote: »
    how the hell do we get so many injuries and dublin get away so light?

Cooper, Rock, Murchan and now McCarthy have been all been injured this year. 4 guaranteed starters

they just have incredible depth to cope

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I definitely think Keith Higgins has to be positioned in the half back line for the next day like he did post Lee Keegan's injury.I thought in spite his usual looseness he was one of our most important players last night.

How many times did he break the line?He may have lost some of his incredible pace but he still burns most opponents for same.When we went into full meltdown on our kickouts at the death he collected a couple of vital balls.

Surely It's a straight swop for young Eoin O Donoghue the next day if James Horan gives the lad a chance.

Tough day at the office for Mikey Murray who struggled greatly,hopefully with more game time he'll see better days.Donal Vaughan undoubtedly steadied the ship uponst his arrival.Aidan O Shea can't carry us in the middle when we meet teams with a quality midfield pairing.

I was critical of Conor Loftus the last day but I thought a lot of our issues stemmed from his lack of physicality/inability to make a meaningful tackle.IMO he lacks the physicality that has come to epitomise this team.He contributed little offensively and missed the easiest of his three frees.I have'nt watched the game back as yet but he was certainly directly responsible for the concession of one score.He has a serious lack of mobility that will likely prove a huge impediment at this level.In stark contrast to Fionn Mc Donagh who'd an excellent first half but unfortunately lost a lot of ball in contact after the restart.Yet he has very impressive physicality for a man in the early stages of his career.

Great to see Cillian get game time,the confidence in his ability to nail the frees was a positive.

Undoubtedly Armagh could have won the game,not sure David Clarke should have had the opportunity to touch the ball onto the post but the second goal chance was truly squandered.They kicked a lot of wides in the second half.

Lest we forget in the latter part of the first we squandered some amount of opportunities including two guilt edged chances for easy points by retaining possession for what seemed like an eternity.

Paddy Durcan appears to be a bit off colour in spite of his point,definitely a bit nervy when taking on a score and more at fault for that lost kickout in closing stages.

Little to add on Darren Coen,simply stellar.It has always been noticeable his lack of fear in taking a shot on.

Hope we avoid Galway,with all our injuries building up.Jason and especially Lee are likely to be sidelined for a considerable periods of time so a run in the super 8s would be an invaluable experience for a team very much in transition.Big shout out to Colm Boyle who in the first half in particular was imperious.

How good were Armagh?TBH I thought they were very decent with a great physicality and an impressive skillset.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yes I forgot to say I thought Armagh looked good too and credit to mcgeeney they are fairly attacking
    Which brings me on to another point
    Teams have NO FEAR of us now
    None
    It was noticeable from the start of the game that Armagh ran at us through the middle at every opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Keith Higgins had some good moments here and there but was also caught ball watching on several occasions and was guilty of flapping at a ball he could easily have caught over his head, which then fell into the hands of an Armagh player and resulted in their goal.
    Higgins is strange - sometimes has great moments and can drive the team on, and then other times is a borderline liability.

Murray did not impress unfortunately. Obviously it's early days for him, but he struggled badly, I felt. Aidan was basically carrying midfield for long stretches. Vaughan certainly calmed things a little when he came on.

Also, agreed on Durcan. Seemed in poor form.

I think we'll badly struggle in the next round. It really feels like we're on borrowed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

Think we'll win next week to be honest, last night was an improvement again from the Down match. Have to figure out midfield, have heard Keegan's injury is a twisted ankle, would be great news if true.

• Advertisement

Barlett wrote: »
    Think we'll win next week to be honest, last night was an improvement again from the Down match. Have to figure out midfield, have heard Keegan's injury is a twisted ankle, would be great news if true.

The word seeping out from the camp seems to be that it is not serious alright
    I would still expect strained ligaments though. That would keep him out for next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

PressRun wrote: »
    The Clarke Hennelly debate is a debate for a reason. It has never been as cut and dry as people want to claim. There are pros and cons to each keeper. Henelly obviously makes very obvious, noticeable mistakes that can create chaos and he is a confidence player who seems to wilt if he makes one mistake. However, he does ping the ball better and he has a good relationship with O'Shea in the middle.
    But there are problems with Clarkes restarts, and I suspect people notice it less because they're either not looking for it or they dont know enough to identify what the problems are with him in goal. He does the flash things well - commanding the square, good under the high ball, taking man and ball, etc., and this plays well with fans. But his kick outs often leave us on the back foot, defending, when they should be a platform for attack. We regularly find ourselves immediately under pressure after his restarts. Opposition will target this, especially now that we only have one real fielding option in midfield.
    Could rotating the goalkeepers during a match make a difference .Like start with henelly and pray he does not concede a goal ,change game plan and bring on clarke .Rachford tried this in ai replay but henelly conceded early on which bollixed it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭glack

cute geoge wrote: »
    Could rotating the goalkeepers during a match make a difference .Like start with henelly and pray he does not concede a goal ,change game plan and bring on clarke .Rachford tried this in ai replay but henelly conceded early on which bollixed it!!!

To be fair to hennelly, he was extremely rusty as he hadn’t played in months and was thrown in for a final. Crazy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Yet another qualifier win that was less than convincing from Mayo last night a habit that has been repeated since 2016. All that matters is Mayo are still in the championship and it would be foolish to write off such a seasoned,experienced team that have serious conditioning to still go far this summer.

Yes some injuries have been a blow but others such as McDonagh,Coen has stood up. One interesting stat is that 13 of the Mayo 2017 All Ireland final starting team played last night.

• Advertisement

glack wrote: »
    To be fair to hennelly, he was extremely rusty as he hadn’t played in months and was thrown in for a final. Crazy decision.

From re-watching the last ten mins of the drawn game, I completely think it was worth a go

I think RHs performance was overblown a bit in the replay. No-one gave him any options early on and as a result Dublin's press worked a treat, but after the first 10 he steadied quite well I thought. I think we were level or maybe only a point down at HT

The penalty was just one of those things, where he took his eye off it - but that kind of thing happens

I'd applaud Rochford for making a big call and trying to remedy a weakness from the first game. If only a certain someone was as willing to do similar after Kerry in 2014 eh

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

It would be great to have a crack at Dublin this year. Little chance of winning, but great for a few of the older Mayo lads to sign off their career with one last big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭Blackjack

jr86 wrote: »
    From re-watching the last ten mins of the drawn game, I completely think it was worth a go

I think RHs performance was overblown a bit in the replay. No-one gave him any options early on and as a result Dublin's press worked a treat, but after the first 10 he steadied quite well I thought. I think we were level or maybe only a point down at HT

The penalty was just one of those things, where he took his eye off it - but that kind of thing happens

I'd applaud Rochford for making a big call and trying to remedy a weakness from the first game. If only a certain someone was as willing to do similar after Kerry in 2014 eh
    this. If Rochford had not spotted the issue, or worse, spotted it and made no attempt to rectify it, he'd have been worse.
    He made the right call in my view, it didn't work out, which we know with the benefit of hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

Yet another qualifier win that was less than convincing from Mayo last night a habit that has been repeated since 2016. All that matters is Mayo are still in the championship and it would be foolish to write off such a seasoned,experienced team that have serious conditioning to still go far this summer.

Yes some injuries have been a blow but others such as McDonagh,Coen has stood up. One interesting stat is that 13 of the Mayo 2017 All Ireland final starting team played last night.

Just curious, why is it so interesting? This team came withing one point of winning that day and it was less than two years ago?

Didn’t realize Clarke saved the one that went over the bar too
    So just the 6 points stopped

Eh no it doesnt ffs, why are you trying to read something into this? You could break your wrist in the most innocuous accidental contact

A clearly irate James Horan gave poor Edwin Mc Greal short shrift when this line of questioning came up.

seligehgit wrote: »
    A clearly irate James Horan gave poor Edwin Mc Greal short shrift when this line of questioning came up.

Was it Ed McGreal he'd a go at?

From what I've seen Ed is a great journalist who comes across very well, and it's a perfectly valid question too

Not the first time Horan has shown a bit of needless sensitivity, I remember him being quite precious too about the cafferkey donaghy situation when he was having his rant after leaving the job the first time

I get it was raw last night but falling out with good honest journalists won't do him any favours tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Barlett wrote: »

We need him back asap. He really plays with great confidence in his ability. It was funny watching him with Hall as he was trying to wind keegan up by mouthing at him. A complete waste of time.
    Armagh were physical yesterday so I hope this has not taken too much out of them for next week.

jr86 wrote: »
    Was it Ed McGreal he'd a go at?

From what I've seen Ed is a great journalist who comes across very well, and it's a perfectly valid question too

Not the first time Horan has shown a bit of needless sensitivity, I remember him being quite precious too about the cafferkey donaghy situation when he was having his rant after leaving the job the first time

I get it was raw last night but falling out with good honest journalists won't do him any favours tbh

He is an excellent journalist.

Totally legitimate question to ask and one that James could emphatically refute without displaying any displeasure at the line of questioning.He is quite right that we're not present at training sessions and in any contact sports there's always the possibility of such injuries.This year has been unfortunately been in a league of it's own in this regard.

Similarly I have long had concerns re the pitch surface in Mac Hale Park.

The presence of an information vacuum where information is not forthcoming leads to all sorts of speculation from an interested GAA public as happened re Cillian's continued absence in spite of a message that he was close to coming back.Easily rectifiable communications issue.

TBF to James Horan he's in general very open and not tetchy in his dealings with reporters so with the pressure he's under I'd imagine it was out of character oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think what he was getting at was that the podcast was speculating about the cause of injuries before the match which to be honest would be infuriating - I mean no one knows , we weren’t there . Wouldn’t have an issue with his reaction, but I think cutting the interview short wasn’t a wise move & was unnecessary. So I don’t think the question was an issue, I think it was the fact that the podcast was fueling the rumour mill days before the game.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be a sensitive topic if he was more forthcoming with information in the first place. Of course, it's totally James Horan's perogative what he chooses to share with the media and what he chooses to hold back. He's the manager and it's up to him to make that call. But rumours spread because information was being withheld. I don't think the long gap between Connacht and the qualifiers helped either.
    The question asked is totally fair though. There have been a number of injuries on the training ground this year - Diarmuid and Matthew Ruane were not the only ones. It's the job of a journalist to ask the questions that people are interested in hearing answered, and many people were curious about this. Horan could have handled his response better.
    Now, I am taking into account that this conversation took place just after we had just scraped through a tough match by the skin of our teeth and had more injuries added to the list during the game, so emotions were probably running high already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

muddle84 wrote: »
    Just curious, why is it so interesting? This team came withing one point of winning that day and it was less than two years ago?
    Interesting that Mayo was still able to field so many first choice or experienced players in the middle of a so called injury crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Interesting that Mayo was still able to field so many first choice or experienced players in the middle of a so called injury crisis

Not sure what the point is here. Mayo being without the services of Parsons, Ruane, Diarmuid o’Connor as well as Seamie o’Shea, James Carr and then Vaughan and Cillian only seeing limited game time as a result of recent injuries is a less than ideal situation, particularly when you consider that 4 first choice midfielders are now unavailable.
    Should we have even less players available across the field to satisfy the definitions?.

Galway.

Destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭kegg

Mayo v Galway!

Hopefully they'll set it for the Hyde.

I Think we will win that ......

So that means we'll be destined for the Kerry,Donegal Meath or Clare grouping if we manage to come through.

It's the worst draw we could have gotten despite Galway's issues. Well and truly have the Indian sign over us in recent years. I'd expect Burke and whoever features out of Cummins, laoi, farragher or whoever, to cause chaos for the full back line. Conroy and Comer could make appearances at some point too

Not only that but away to Kerry first round of super 8s if get through

But can only get on with it now.

• Advertisement

Galway will be looking at this as an opportunity to salvage their season and regain some respect after the Connacht final **** show. Proper knock out football, with more at stake - could get dirty. It's a crap draw really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement