Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Stoner wrote:
    The Ulster lads don't seem to like him.

Don't think it's just us tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Don't want to be too critical as lads were literally dying on their feet for the team again tonight.I am putting the last 10 minutes of chaos when nobody was showing for any pass/free/kickout down to that
    So I will start with the positives

Boyler- phenomenal especially when things were not going well at the start
    Fionn McDonagh - fearless and can kick a score. Going to be some player. Reminds me a bit of Diarmuid when he first came on the scene. And the way he goes into tackles.......
    Coen- he has surprised me. Shame we have 2 extra scorinf forwards while the team is falling apart behind them!!!
    Cillian back - showed great experience to slow the game down at a vital stage and Kevin Mc capitlaised bu getting free moved in
    Free taking - hit all bar one I think

Negatives
    Higgins - he just can not start the next day. Eoin O Donoghue has to. I won't say anymore as he he has been a great servant
    Tactics - 5 points up. See the game out with a sweeper maybe? NO NO NO don't be silly lets play a 2 man
    full back line man to man. CRAZY CRAZY stuff. The whole defensive set up was from start to finish and Horan WILL NOT CHANGE.
    Kevin Mc goal also showed the fallacy of playing him inside . He needs to be running with the ball
    Injuries - there is also now a rumour that Aido left with a foot brace on

There is no way we were winning that game in ET so thank God for the lunatic of an Armagh player that tried to kick a score from halfway!!!!

Anyway we are in the hat and I want either Meath or Cavan. Not looking beyond round 4 and the last 10 minutes could be very similar to today sadly.
    If we were to sneak through 2 more super 8 games before a break will just be too much sadly
    UP MAYO
    :)

Also it is too soon for Mikey Murray and he looks more like a half forward than a midfielder. Maybe a 3rd midfielder role but not in a pair. It was a hard hard slog for Aido tonight and if he is shut down next week we are goosed

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭vid36

Well done lads and I am praying we don't get ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan v Mayo in Carrick on Shannon would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Cavan v Mayo in Carrick on Shannon would be nice.

I'm pretty sure that we need to draw Galway or Meath to avoid the Super 8's group with Dublin in it?

So, either of them would be my preference in that case.

BandMember wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that we need to draw Galway or Meath to avoid the Super 8's group with Dublin in it?

IMO Roscommon are the most beatable of the provincial finalists so maybe we would be better off in their group and hope to get the weakest R4 qualifier. If we even make it that far

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

jr86 wrote: »
    It's kind of in bursts anymore

Had a great period end of first half but end product let us down . Prob should have been going in 4 or 5 up after that

I don't recall a mayo forward kicking scores like Coen for years

Players look stuck to the ground at times and as if the stamina isn't there.

Early in the first half when Mayo were turning over possession in their own half, players were walking out half jaded when they should be looking to break quick on the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah, several - including myself - are forgetting that Monday's draw not only has connotations for next week but also the super 8s themselves

While you only want to look at one week at a time, I'd still like the best possible chance if we did make the super 8s.

Dublin first up would be a disaster imo. A probable hiding and then only a week off to game 2. Be impossible pick ourselves up. Ros first up and a possible win could help us build up steam and we could then get a few lads back

I know, I know, looking very far ahead :pac: but because of that I'd look to avoid Cavan

Hurry up Monday will ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah, to avoid Dublin you would have to beat either the losing Connacht or losing Leinster finalists.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    IMO Roscommon are the most beatable of the provincial finalists so maybe we would be better off in their group and hope to get the weakest R4 qualifier. If we even make it that far

Roscommon are in the same group as Dublin and, as jr86 has quite rightly summed up, f**k that! :D :pac:

Roscommon are in the same group as Dublin and, as jr86 has quite rightly summed up, f**k that! :D :pac:

Ros will be tough again in fairness.

I don't think they'd miss some of those chances armagh did and are better organised all round I think

Dublin is a write off lets not pretend otherwise but at least in other group could beat Kerry on a good day maybe, and who knows Galway or Tyrone could somehow lose to laois or something :pac:

But this is very much wishful thinking. Next week will be a guaranteed slog . If Aidan is out, forget it I think

Apparently if we draw Cavan and beat them the super 8 games would be
    Away to Rossies
    Croke park vs Cork/qualifier
    week off
    Dublin in Cbar

Thats the best we can hope for imo
    Cavan please

km79 wrote: »
    Apparently if we draw Cavan and beat them the super 8 games would be
    Away to Rossies
    Croke park vs Cork/qualifier
    week off
    Dublin in Cbar

Thats the best we can hope for imo
    Cavan please

How did you make that out?? :confused:

How did you make that out?? :confused:
    the super 8 draw is already done out based on provincial winners and losers/team that beats them
    If we were to draw and beat Cork it would be Dubs away first rossies last

Is it just me, or does anybody think that the G.A.A. would let Mayo play Dublin in Castlebar and that they wouldn't come up with something to try and stop that happening?

Is it just me, or does anybody think that the G.A.A. would let Mayo play Dublin in Castlebar and that they wouldn't come up with something to try and stop that happening?

It’s just you

Someone on the blog has done the donkey work of possible r4/super 8 groupings
    Cavan please please please
    And not Meath now

Beatt Galway means away to Kerry, Croker v Meath or whoever beats them, home to Donegal

Beat Cavan means away to Ross, Croker against Cork or whoever beats them and home to Dublin

Beat Cork means away to away to dublin, Croker for Cavan or whoever beats them, home to Rossies

Beat Meath means away to Donegal, Croker for Galway or whoever beats them, home to Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Some people are getting ahead themselves here......

recyclebin wrote: »

Nobody is getting ahead of anything - they're just trying to figure out what awaits them. The way we're going at the moment and with the injury problems we have, nobody should or could ever look too far ahead. No harm to know though......and hope....

recyclebin wrote: »

Next Monday’s draw directly leads on to the super 8 draw for all teams concerned
    So no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Not sure on the fixtures but Cork/Cavan is the route to the Dubs Rossie group. We need a handy one next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

jr86 wrote: »
    Clarke's wayward pass in injury time bet all

Still in the draw but more frustrations than positives I think

Except Darren Coen, he was phenomenal. Unfortunately our full back line is at almost liability level now. Doesn't take a genius to figure out the opponent's game plan next week

Very true. He has nothing short of outstanding. I think he won the game for us on some of the scores he got to take the pressure off the team. His decision making and running is very good. He has good strength as well which makes him a real threat for us.
    Mcloughlin back to his very best as well which was very nice to see and COC was really up for the game which was also nice to see.

Lets hope we see a more solid performance the next day to lay some confidence as we just seem like we fear every ball going into the defence and not attacking from the front like we used to do

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

It wasn't Clarke's wayward pass ,paddy durian no more than Boland did a few minutes before reverted back to there under 12 days and waited for the ball to come instead of meeting it

It wasn't Clarke's wayward pass ,paddy durian no more than Boland did a few minutes before reverted back to there under 12 days and waited for the ball to come instead of meeting it

It was a bad pass along with multiple others. If it were Hennelly we all know what the reaction would be like. Even the very last ball he played out to Barrett & Jamar Hall all over him like a rash. Lucky. Keith Higgins took 2 great balls off him when they got it back to a point. He didn’t give it back to Clarke, sprinted up the stand side on both occasions. Harrison gave it back to Clarke which puts everybody under pressure. Durcan Aido Coen & McLoughlin all had bad turnovers at crucial times. Aido bad pass nearly resulting in a goal with Clarke out the pitch. Very lucky that time.

Armagh’s transition was class. On one occasion a kick out from there keeper found a team mate nearly on McHale road. Kick pass into Jamie Clarke & straight over. Beautiful. Hennelly took a massive amount of flac after the Rossie game and rightly so. Teams target Clarke’s kick outs and we are going to be in the same scenario most games from here on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭naughto

It was a bad pass along with multiple others. If it were Hennelly we all know what the reaction would be like. Even the very last ball he played out to Barrett & Jamar Hall all over him like a rash. Lucky. Keith Higgins took 2 great balls off him when they got it back to a point. He didn’t give it back to Clarke, sprinted up the stand side on both occasions. Harrison gave it back to Clarke which puts everybody under pressure. Durcan Aido Coen & McLoughlin all had bad turnovers at crucial times. Aido bad pass nearly resulting in a goal with Clarke out the pitch. Very lucky that time.

Armagh’s transition was class. On one occasion a kick out from there keeper found a team mate nearly on McHale road. Kick pass into Jamie Clarke & straight over. Beautiful. Hennelly took a massive amount of flac after the Rossie game and rightly so. Teams target Clarke’s kick outs and we are going to be in the same scenario most games from here on

Enough said
    https://twitter.com/galwayplayer/status/1145049481915879425?s=12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

The Clarke Hennelly debate is a debate for a reason. It has never been as cut and dry as people want to claim. There are pros and cons to each keeper. Henelly obviously makes very obvious, noticeable mistakes that can create chaos and he is a confidence player who seems to wilt if he makes one mistake. However, he does ping the ball better and he has a good relationship with O'Shea in the middle.
    But there are problems with Clarkes restarts, and I suspect people notice it less because they're either not looking for it or they dont know enough to identify what the problems are with him in goal. He does the flash things well - commanding the square, good under the high ball, taking man and ball, etc., and this plays well with fans. But his kick outs often leave us on the back foot, defending, when they should be a platform for attack. We regularly find ourselves immediately under pressure after his restarts. Opposition will target this, especially now that we only have one real fielding option in midfield.

naughto wrote: »

We all know he is a great shot stopper. That’s the job. But the blind ignorance to other facet’s of the game is hilarious

It'd be interesting to see how many of our own long kickouts we actually won. Feck all from what I could see. The ball hangs up in the air for what seems like an eternity. Going short helped, but the bigger sides will press us much better (see Dublin every final we played them!)

In terms of kickouts its not even a debate. But I agree overall with what PressRun said

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how the hell do we get so many injuries and dublin get away so light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It didn’t help trying to win long lockouts with AOS basically on his own in midfield beside Murray who is probably 6th choice midfielder if everyone was fit.
    He lacks size and strength.

AOS went out of the game for the last 20 minutes.

Armagh were dogs around breaking ball, especially Hall and Campbell.
    They seemed to be first to every break even if AOS managed to break the ball.

Kev McL is NOT a corner forward.

Coen’s Point taking was phenomenal.
    Himself and Conor Cox and J Clarke have hit some sublime scores in the championship.

Mayo’s squad depth is now being called into question with even more injuries from yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement