Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

naughto wrote: »
    Big chance this game will be called off

Pitch in a bad way or the weather forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

seligehgit wrote: »
    Pitch in a bad way or the weather forecast?

Weather warnings in place some committee meetings aswell tomorrow

naughto wrote: »
    Weather warnings in place some committee meetings aswell tomorrow

Thanks naughto.

Status yellow rainfall warning coming into effect tonight lasting until Saturday night.

20-30 mm of rain.

Saturday's rain in conjunction with Storm Jorge.

Status orange wind warning coming into effect on Saturday morning.Wind gusts up to 130 km/hr.

Can't see the game going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Tim has been flat out with the cheque book today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Thanks naughto.

Status yellow rainfall warning coming into effect tonight lasting until Saturday night.

20-30 mm of rain.

Saturday's rain in conjunction with Storm Jorge.

Status orange wind warning coming into effect on Saturday morning.Wind gusts up to 130 km/hr.

Can't see the game going ahead.

Would they move it to Sunday I wonder. I'm due up tomorrow and travelling up the western sea board tomorrow morning probably ain't the wisest idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

“ Storm watch -- Potential is growing for a severe windstorm in western counties generally on Saturday from about 0600h to late in the day. Southwest veering to westerly winds may be as strong as 100 to 140 km/hr at the peak of the storm (some guidance even suggests stronger gusts) and while an orange alert is already in place things appear to be headed more for the red alert category”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Its better used there than this county board. Fair play to him.

What? I thought O'Leary's crusade to get Moffatt in as chairman was the new dawn for this county board? What did he call it himself "one of the most important days in Mayo GAA History" I said it at the time when everybody was proclaiming Tim as the saviour, his campaign to run Seamus Tuohy out of the job was a disgrace and under-handed. Let's not forget this is why he set-up his twitter weeks in advance of the convention and deleted all tweets after Moffatt got in. O'Leary has plenty minions on twitter as well...same few crawl out of the woodwork every time he has something to say (I wonder why this is $$$$$$)

I salute Liam Moffatt. He has only been in the job a few months and he resolved the dispute and stopped the legal proceedings which were issued against Mayo GAA from there biggest 'supporter'. Now he has successfully removed this 'supporter' after he used his position on twitter to slate the manager. Mayo GAA was around along time before Tim rode in in 2017 with buckets of cash. Good riddance I say.

And these monies he is distributing everywhere were they not donated to him in the name of Mayo GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

BPKS wrote: »
    Would they move it to Sunday I wonder. I'm due up tomorrow and travelling up the western sea board tomorrow morning probably ain't the wisest idea!
    Hard to know what might happen. With weather this unsettled there's a lot of unpredictability in the models. Depending on the next few hours it's either going to downgrade to a low Orange (more unlikely) or if a weird move all the models are predicting happens it'll be upgraded to Red in Mayo.

Worth keeping an eye on the boards weather folk...
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058057503/1

If it goes Red for Saturday (most likely outcome from current models) I'd expect a longer delay than to Sunday. Too hard for them to accurately predict what game and travelling conditions Sunday might be like for now.

There are of course no games fixed for the weekend after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

What? I thought O'Leary's crusade to get Moffatt in as chairman was the new dawn for this county board? What did he call it himself "one of the most important days in Mayo GAA History" I said it at the time when everybody was proclaiming Tim as the saviour, his campaign to run Seamus Tuohy out of the job was a disgrace and under-handed. Let's not forget this is why he set-up his twitter weeks in advance of the convention and deleted all tweets after Moffatt got in. O'Leary has plenty minions on twitter as well...same few crawl out of the woodwork every time he has something to say (I wonder why this is $$$$$$)

I salute Liam Moffatt. He has only been in the job a few months and he resolved the dispute and stopped the legal proceedings which were issued against Mayo GAA from there biggest 'supporter'. Now he has successfully removed this 'supporter' after he used his position on twitter to slate the manager. Mayo GAA was around along time before Tim rode in in 2017 with buckets of cash. Good riddance I say.

And these monies he is distributing everywhere were they not donated to him in the name of Mayo GAA?

Exactly, if i raised money on behalf of Mayo/Roscommon hospice and donated to Mayo GAA then there would be uproar.
    No denying it's for a good cause but the principle should be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

boosabum wrote: »
    Exactly, if i raised money on behalf of Mayo/Roscommon hospice and donated to Mayo GAA then there would be uproar.
    No denying it's for a good cause but the principle should be the same

Wasn't sone of this money his money and some fundraised.

BPKS wrote: »

That would be the sensible move.

The following weekend is free too.

God knows how any potential spread of Covid 19 is going to affect the league schedule going forward.

Statement from Mayo GAA

In relation to tomorrow’s Allianz league game between Mayo and Kerry GAA a decision on whether it goes ahead tomorrow night will be made early tomorrow morning in conjunction with Croke Park.

Weather is really not too bad here ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You got to think of the Kerry fans driving through 2 counties with red warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Want to be makeing a call soon....I no some lads in Kerry that are due to leave on a bus form Kerry at 10 this morning.

They're leaving it remarkably late in the day to make a decision when consideration is taken of the travels of the Kerry supporters.

The common sense decision would be postpone it until tomorrow.

Can't imagine what the underfoot conditions will be like,historically it's never been the best.

Anyway Kerry have named a very strong team.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

irishgeo wrote: »
    You got to think of the Kerry fans driving through 2 counties with red warnings.

I don’t get this part to be honest. You can’t cancel games because the opposing teams fans may travel through bad weather. There’s personal responsibility here, if your journey is too dangerous stay home! Anyone driving through red warnings to get to a game of football has to take responsibility of their own actions.

If the weather in Castlebar/Mayo in general is forecasted to be safe for the game it should go ahead. You can’t cancel games because weather down the country is bad.

• Advertisement

glack wrote: »
    I don’t get this part to be honest. You can’t cancel games because the opposing teams fans may travel through bad weather. There’s personal responsibility here, if your journey is too dangerous stay home! Anyone driving through red warnings to get to a game of football has to take responsibility of their own actions.

If the weather in Castlebar/Mayo in general is forecasted to be safe for the game it should go ahead. You can’t cancel games because weather down the country is bad.

I don't think it's a justification for cancelling the fixture but it's likely to seriously discommode and put out of pocket Kerry supporters who have already made plans to stay in Castlebar irrespective of whither as you quite rightly say exercise personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,016 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pretty grim up here near Ballina: snow/sleet, high winds...

Don’t know if it is much worse than the meath match tbh
    Yet anyway
    And that’s the problem

So if they are just relying on forecasts they could have just made the call last night

Vague memories of the GAA, citing Gardaí input, specifically mentioning travelling conditions in previous cancellations this year. Though I don't believe they specifically mentioned "opposition fans", which is where some debate may arise.

Very poor form not having an "early morning decision" made by 10am. Feel terrible for any Kerry fans left in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,016 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mayo GAA twitter feed is the place to watch for news on this yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Indeed, some of the Kerry supporters' buses already left around 10.

Indeed, some of the Kerry supporters' buses already left around 10.

At this stage they may as well play it!

Mayo GAA twitter feed is the place to watch for news on this yeah?

Indeed or Facebook.

MWR saying by 11

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement