Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

O'Shea is a good choice for captain.
    Would have had no problem leaving it with Paddy Durcan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

PressRun wrote:
    O'Shea is a good choice for captain. Would have had no problem leaving it with Paddy Durcan either.
    Wasn't Diarmuid the captain last year.

And then Paddy when he broke his wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I'll not be too surprised if its Galway. We had our times in the past 10 years and could never takes our chance, looking like a bumpy journey for the next few years.

I think we're reading a bit too much into league form. There's been years when we've been horrendous in the spring but gone all the way to September. The converse also holds, you don't know what training different teams are doing this time of year. Galway are also still a bit suspect at the back and in goal.

However, someone said it earlier about our backroom team not being as strong. I think losing Donie Buckley is still being felt, he turned us into the best tackling team in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PhoneMain wrote: »
    I think we're reading a bit too much into league form. There's been years when we've been horrendous in the spring but gone all the way to September. The converse also holds, you don't know what training different teams are doing this time of year. Galway are also still a bit suspect at the back and in goal.

However, someone said it earlier about our backroom team not being as strong. I think losing Donie Buckley is still being felt, he turned us into the best tackling team in the country.

Welcome to the world of the Mayo supporter psyche.It is either blind optimism or the depths of depression.

Only joking and I agree with your thoughts,we are under strength/experimenting at the present time.There is an anxiety that the players that are coming through are not of the same quality as what's gone before.Only time will tell.In addition the annual battle to avoid relegation although entirely expected this year is not good for the ticker.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

I agree that we are under strength at present and experimenting with youth, but I do think there is a discipline and tackling problem with the team that's going on a while now. I also am not overly confident about our forward line tbh and if they will come good. I think the absence of Colm Boyle will be felt this summer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Sorry for my outburst yesterday - had a few too many pints - lesson learned - i am going to keep my mouth shut going forward - have a good week

From o'Leary Twitter account

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

naughto wrote: »
    Sorry for my outburst yesterday - had a few too many pints - lesson learned - i am going to keep my mouth shut going forward - have a good week

From o'Leary Twitter account

Yawn. Off the Ball picked up this story and ran with a headline. O'Leary needs to close his twitter and do whatever he needs to be doing behind the scenes. After what's gone on we don't need him spouting up every five minutes drawing more unwanted attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

If you have a look at his twitter there was a lot of waffle posted yesterday and it looks like he was pissed so i really don't know why it should make a headline! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

muddle84 wrote: »
    If you have a look at his twitter there was a lot of waffle posted yesterday and it looks like he was pissed so i really don't know why it should make a headline! :mad:

If he wants to be taken seriously (which I assume he does, seeing as he was going to bring the CB to court) then he should stop publishing bull**** comments when he's pissed!

spakman wrote: »
    If he wants to be taken seriously (which I assume he does, seeing as he was going to bring the CB to court) then he should stop publishing bull**** comments when he's pissed!

He had a tweet saying he will have a big announcement coming about the centre of excellence. So much for the professionalism that he was asking of the county board!

• Advertisement

Anyway enough of that!

I expect a big crowd in Castlebar next Saturday evening and i'm hoping for dry weather! Looking forward to it now! Has anyone heard anything about any of the big guns back from Injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

muddle84 wrote: »
    Anyway enough of that!

I expect a big crowd in Castlebar next Saturday evening and i'm hoping for dry weather! Looking forward to it now! Has anyone heard anything about any of the big guns back from Injury?

Or indeed if Clarke is injured?

Heard there was there weekly bust up but sure you will have that

Heard there was there weekly bust up but sure you will have that

Hyperbole much?

Is it really necessary to report such in all probability innocuous happenings that occur in most county squads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

seligehgit wrote: »
    Hyperbole much?

Is it really necessary to report such in all probability innocuous happenings that occur in most county squads?

Breaffy mafia now in total control now with AOS captain. :rolleyes:

There will be plenty of opinions about that around here, especially from interlopers

Congrats to Irishgeo on winning this award

Suprised nobody has mentioned “the egos “

Imagine appointing our best player last season and one of our main leaders captain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

km79 wrote: »
    Congrats to Irishgeo on winning this award

Suprised nobody has mentioned “the egos “

Imagine appointing our best player last season and one of our main leaders captain

I was being sarcastic.

irishgeo wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic.

So was I about the bust up

Erm this is awkward

So was I?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Delighted to see Aido as captain.

Just need to watch clips of any of the lads off the field with him to see his subtle leadership in action (even more obvious in person). Often the first to have a chat with the ref too when needed, with or without the captaincy, so hopefully he'll do a fantastic job in the role.

Always felt it was counter productive giving it to a free taker, whether that was Cillian or the odd time with others. So much psychology involved with that role it always seemed like the captaincy might be an unhelpful distraction.

• Advertisement

James Horan mentioned in this week's podcast all the goalkeepers including Rory Byrne would see some game time during the course of the league.Hence no David Clarke in yesterday's squad.

None too happy re Ger Flanagan's mention of an on line debate re the goalkeeping situation.

More disappointing the discussion re the personal abuse players are receiving on line,IMO facebook oftentimes in particular is a cesspit of uninformed opinion where people oftentimes in the absence of anonymity feel free to vent same without a second thought re the consequences of their actions.

Sounds like Cillian and Donie will see some game time on Saturday.

Padraig O Hora is still hanging tough!

Fair play.

seligehgit wrote: »
    James Horan mentioned in this week's podcast all the goalkeepers including Rory Byrne would see some game time during the course of the league.Hence no David Clarke in yesterday's squad.

None too happy re Ger Flanagan's mention of an on line debate re the goalkeeping situation.

More disappointing the discussion re the personal abuse players are receiving on line,IMO facebook oftentimes in particular is a cesspit of uninformed opinion where people oftentimes in the absence of anonymity feel free to vent same without a second thought re the consequences of their actions.

Sounds like Cillian and Donie will see some game time on Saturday.

Interesting
    Wonder will Byrne start next weekend so
    Using 3 keepers makes it even harder to formulate a kickout plan of course but still be good to give him experience and test him

Also good news on Cillain and Donie
    I didn’t think we would get anything Sunday mainly as Monaghan are so far ahead in fitness
    I think we might Saturday evening .......but we MUST keep our discipline
    Flynn’s second yellow was probably harsh in hindsight
    O horas was stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Money talks

But it shouldn't tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FutbolCian

Statement just released

FutbolCian wrote: »
    Statement just released

I'd say yesterday's tweet was the final straw,I can't say I blame Mayo GAA.

Would hope that is the end of it but doubt it
    a pure ****show

Who's going to fund them now its sure as hell not elverys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Who's going to fund them now its sure as hell not elverys

I’m sure they’ll manage, you don’t see JP McManus giving money to Limerick & then criticising management online. He was only adding to the circus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not that long ago many people here and elsewhere were very much on O'Leary's side when it came to the drama between him and the county board.

But oh how things have changed.

Whomever called him a donkey was not that far off the mark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement