Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Money talks

But it shouldn't tweet

Sounds like a Neil Diamond chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

Not that long ago many people here and elsewhere were very much on O'Leary's side when it came to the drama between him and the county board.

But oh how things have changed.

Whomever called him a donkey was not that far off the mark.

I was one of those people and right now I feel very foolish for doing so. That money would have helped us bridge the gap with the COE and having dedicated facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Barlett wrote: »
    I’m sure they’ll manage, you don’t see JP McManus giving money to Limerick & then criticising management online. He was only adding to the circus

Iam sure they will manage is not good enough with the dept we have theres no way we will ever match the dubs now from coaching staff to new facilities .its close to a million year on year to run the senior team.
    Will they learn on the clubs to sell more tickets.
    It was stupid what hd said and should have deleted his Twitter.
    We are cutting of or noes despite or face.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    Iam sure they will manage is not good enough with the dept we have theres no way we will ever match the dubs now from coaching staff to new facilities .its close to a million year on year to run the senior team.

Maybe they know that this as just the tip of the iceberg.
    They have been dealing with him for a good while, they probably know his form.

Maybe they are getting out how, holding the moral high ground, knowing it could get a lot worse later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

naughto wrote: »

You can’t have the tail wagging the dog either!

• Advertisement

I no all the posts are correct in what is being said it's just in the long run this is going to hurt big time.
    Anyways in to Kerry can we get anything out if it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Maybe they know that this as just the tip of the iceberg.
    They have been dealing with him for a good while, they probably know his form.

Maybe they are getting out how, holding the moral high ground, knowing it could get a lot worse later.

They jumped at the opportunity to cut all ties. Can't blame them really, money or not, talking sense or nonsense, he was a thorn in their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

PARlance wrote: »
    They jumped at the opportunity to cut all ties. Can't blame them really, money or not, talking sense or nonsense, he was a thorn in their side.

They certainly did jump at the chance. I’m not sure of the need for a public statement around this. It could have been done quietly without the need to issue a statement.

I would have been supportive of O’Leary and I still think the Foundation itself is a good idea but at this point no good could come out of things as they were. Once legal action and counter actions were taken the relationship had gone beyond redemption, no matter what sort of public reconciliations were staged.

It’s a shame because so much good could have come out of this but both sides made glaring errors in how things were handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

As someone outside mayo who doesn’t know full details all I have seen is negative media since this O’Leary guy is mentioned
    Just because you’ve money to throw around doesn’t make you an expert. It’s like he thinks he can buy his way into importance around Mayo gaa just because he’s taken an interest
    I’d much prefer the opinion of some lad training the juveniles in his club who has no money but has a deep love of Mayo gaa for years.
    O’Leary will be off with his cash now trying to get involved in someplace else to make him feel important
    Tweeting like that about a manager whether drunk or not is gutter stuff you’d expect in the premiership or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I've only recently come across this O'Leary fella. From the outside looking in you are dead right to cut ties. Seems like an absolute arse with too much to say.

Money doesn't equate to knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

If this is the end of it then it was the right move tbh
    If he comes back out slinging more mud even more so but it will create another unwanted distraction

Huge game Saturday night
    A must win simple as that
    I’m expecting an electric partisan atmosphere and hopefully a performance to match

We will prob have to take a risk on a few half fit players Cos our forward line is just too small. Simple as that.
    It might hurt people’s feelings commenting on stature but those are the facts.
    You might get away with one small light forward but not 3/4

Would it be a case of not dealing with o Leary but still deal with the foundation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

This is horrendous news for us. Future is very very bleak.

#1 we cant afford it. Finances are not good. Once this generation of ok players finish up then we will just become a Armagh or Meath standard team except unlike them we have nothing to show for our efforts over the years except being serial bottlers. Fans are already losing interest.

#2 I’m really worried about free speech, seems if you are not a yes man you are not wanted in mayo gaa even if you have cash. Egotistical carry on

He is dead right, the current effort of the team is a disgrace and an insult to us fans. Getting sick of journeys across the country to watch the sh1tshow of an effort. The sickening attitude of the players with it’s only the league and we are sh1thot in the championship so don’t worry, where has that gotten us? Pure arrogance that evident on here too. Except we can’t even pull it together to win Connaught. Insult to fans who are getting sick of it. RIP Mayo GAA. Not good enough.

Getting sick of being the laughing stock of Irish GAA

I do however expect us to hammer Galway. Too big for their boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

#1 we cant afford it. Finances are not good. Once this generation of ok players finish up then we will just become a Armagh or Meath standard team except unlike them we have nothing to show for our efforts over the years except being serial bottlers. Fans are already losing interest.

#2 I’m really worried about free speech, seems if you are not a yes man you are not wanted in mayo gaa even if you have cash. Egotistical carry on

He is dead right, the current effort of the team is a disgrace and an insult to us fans. Getting sick of journeys across the country to watch the sh1tshow of an effort. The sickening attitude of the players with it’s only the league and we are sh1thot in the championship so don’t worry, where has that gotten us? Pure arrogance that evident on here too. Except we can’t even pull it together to win Connaught. Insult to fans who are getting sick of it. RIP Mayo GAA. Not good enough.

So much sh1te talk in that post i don't know where to begin.

HBC08 wrote: »

Truth hurt?

Too proud to take a realistic look at Mayo GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Would ya stop, absolute nonsense. You can say alot about Mayo football but don't ever question there effort. Maybe it's time for you to stop touring the country if you feel so strongly. Tim might have room for ya on his private jet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The stench of Scrooge and unhappiness in this thread.

Have ye not heard the concept of a remote control or is the goal to watch something you don’t like so ye can be miserable and give out to it to a pile of strangers in the internet?

really weird behaviour, no wonder the place is a negative cesspit

Irony was a great invention wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That's awful rubbish. Serial bottlers?? How many all-Irelands have they gotten to in the past 8 years - FOUR. That’s not bottlers. They came down to the top 2 in Ireland in half of the last 8 years.

What have Armagh and Meath achieved over the years!! It was over 20 years ago since Meath won the All-Ireland, and have only been in the All-Ireland once since that victory. You’re just spouting guff without any thought behind it.
    Free-speech. Drunk-tweeting about getting rid of the manager, from someone who was on about professionalism. That’s nothing to do with Yes men or No men. It’s creating negative aura around the Mayo team, so answer is to just cut that individual away from the focal point.

What’s that got to do with your comment about being a Yes man. It has obviously panned out that O’Leary is an egotistical attention-seeking man, who thinks that his money gives him the right to have some kind of pantomime association with Mayo GAA. We can’t have that. He has just created problems for us in the past year. Fair play to Moffat & Co for making the big call and getting rid of him. I’m sure we’ll still be getting his tweets, comments etc. – getting his digs in. He reminds me of a bald Joe Brolly. There to be heard.
    Hammer Galway!!!!!!!! As I read this, I’m slowly realising that you are a wind-up merchant, and I just fell for it

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

HBC08 wrote: »

Agreed.

Sure ye haven't a hope of beating Galway.

On topic though, from a Galway perspective I obviously understand the appeal of a sugardaddy coming in to ease the financial pressure the county board are under but O'Leary was becoming too much of a distraction to be worth dealing with any longer. Horan and his panel have enough to deal with already without some lad who can't handle his Carling, or whatever swill they serve at Twickenham, becoming a story whenever he has one too many.

A county team shouldn't be some rich lads plaything.

• Advertisement

That's awful rubbish. Serial bottlers?? How many all-Irelands have they gotten to in the past 8 years - FOUR. That’s not bottlers. They came down to the top 2 in Ireland in half of the last 8 years.

What have Armagh and Meath achieved over the years!! It was over 20 years ago since Meath won the All-Ireland, and have only been in the All-Ireland once since that victory. You’re just spouting guff without any thought behind it.
    Free-speech. Drunk-tweeting about getting rid of the manager, from someone who was on about professionalism. That’s nothing to do with Yes men or No men. It’s creating negative aura around the Mayo team, so answer is to just cut that individual away from the focal point.

You missed my point, let me spell it out

Meath were a dominating force in the late 80s / 90s. Armagh similar in the early 00s. Same can be said about us in the 10s. Where are these two now? That’s my point, I fear we will follow their path once as the current crop of players continue to drop of.

And my ultimate point is whats the difference between the 3 counties? Armagh and Meath have silverware to look back on, what have we got?

You missed my point, let me spell it out

Meath were a dominating force in the late 80s / 90s. Armagh similar in the early 00s. Same can be said about us in the 10s. Where are these two now? That’s my point, I fear we will follow their path once as the current crop of players continue to drop of.

And my ultimate point is whats the difference between the 3 counties? Armagh and Meath have silverware to look back on, what have we got?

A decade of wonderful memories and road trips

Green&Red wrote: »
    The stench of Scrooge and unhappiness in this thread.

Have ye not heard the concept of a remote control or is the goal to watch something you don’t like so ye can be miserable and give out to it to a pile of strangers in the internet?

really weird behaviour, no wonder the place is a negative cesspit

Irony was a great invention wasn't it?

Did you learn the definition of irony from alias morissette‘s song as like her I don’t think you understand the meaning

Are you really comparing watching the late late show to following your county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Are you really comparing watching the late late show to following your county?

In fairness, you dont sound much like a supporter of either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

km79 wrote: »
    A decade of wonderful memories and road trips
    Couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't swap with a single county in the country over the last ten years, including ones more successful. They've given us more entertainment than anyone.

My heart breaks for the team not having a win given the work and commitment they've put in. Seeing 'fans' bitter about it for selfish reasons only illustrates they were never really fans to me. Memories of the sideline abuse Ciarán, or more recently Aidan, have to put up with from 'fans'.

The players, lads and ladies, have been incredible for years. They owe me nothing. The least I can give them is my support as they entertain the hell out of me. The odd off day is the nature of the beast, not something to attack them over. That's when they need supporters getting behind the team more, not apparently drunken tweets calling for heads to role causing media storms distracting from the real issues and the solutions required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You certainly can't question the Mayo players commitment over past decade, same with Donegal. Both teams have achieved an incredible amount of success despite not having the continous conveyor belt of talent coming through that Kerry have or the money and investment Dublin have.

Cork and Galway have had massive success at underage since 2010 yet nowhere near Mayo or Donegal's success at senior intercounty between 2011 and 2019.

Mayo teams that reached all those all ireland finals basically came from 2006 and 2009 under 21 sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't swap with a single county in the country over the last ten years, including ones more successful. They've given us more entertainment than anyone.

My heart breaks for the team not having a win given the work and commitment they've put in. Seeing 'fans' bitter about it for selfish reasons only illustrates they were never really fans to me. Memories of the sideline abuse Ciarán, or more recently Aidan, have to put up with from 'fans'.

The players, lads and ladies, have been incredible for years. They owe me nothing. The least I can give them is my support as they entertain the hell out of me. The odd off day is the nature of the beast, not something to attack them over. That's when they need supporters getting behind the team more, not apparently drunken tweets calling for heads to role causing media storms distracting from the real issues and the solutions required.

Great synopsis. We are so blessed. To have so many quality moments that we experienced. Qualifers down to the wire. Heading home from many quarter finals and semi-finals with that feel-good factor. You can't beat it. I can't believe how some "supporters:confused::eek::eek:" can say that the team effort is a disgrace, and insulting fans. What an attitude. They are not paid sportsmen that owe anything to Mayo people. They are amateurs doing what they like doing. If they come up short, it's not for you to judge or critisize.

Just watching weekends highlights
    Dublin also being opened up time and again
    I’m slightly less depressed now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

It’s way too early to be judging any team....end of Feb with the worst weather conditions we’ve witnessed for yrs. Everthing will even itself out..Mayo will improve and them Galway fellas will get found out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Any news on Ruane, Doherty or Cillian?

Saw a video on social media of Cillian practicing frees in McHale park a few days ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement