Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

snailsong wrote: »
    I still fancy them to survive division one, maybe by beating Tyrone in the last round.
    It'll be a challenge.

We're away to Galway and home to Tyrone.

Donegal home to Tyrone and away to Kerry.

Monaghan home to Kerry and home to Meath.

Tyrone away to Donegal and away to Mayo.

Donegal and Monaghan both a win ahead, Monaghan beat us on head to head (if it's a two way tie) and both well ahead of us on point difference (if more than two teams tied or Donegal after our draw) at the moment.

So a single win in our last two games leaving us on 5 points highly unlikely to be enough to survive. Would need at least Donegal, or preferably both, to collapse on score difference and lose both games.

A draw and win in the last two (especially if it's a win over Tyrone) might be enough, but will still depend on other results. Needs a bit too much luck for any confidence.

Anything less than two wins and it'll be tight. Well into must win territory now for survival. That said, Galway and Tyrone are far from unbeatable. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think it is a lot to ask too.
    I mean, today was high stakes, and they didn't exactly look like a team that was in need of a win in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

Just back in Limerick now. Another long despondent drive home.

Hard to know what to make of it, 2nd half impressive or was it Kerry taking the foot off and score flattering us?

Can’t understand how inconsistent we are. It’s almost like the players in their arrogance think they are a Dublin and can turn it on in the 2nd half. Or is just that they can’t be bothered because it’s only the league even thought its the only national senior silverware we have won in generations. Madness either way.

I’m still chasing the gaa to mark my attendance for an earlier match, with the shocking state of performance lately I don’t think I’ll bother chasing anymore because we won’t make the final in aug it if we do we will be destroyed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just home after a great first trip to Castlebar. The football was 2nd fiddle for me this weekend as I mentioned and the town didn't disappoint. Got in about 4pm yesterday and after googling for a good pool table, ended up on Sloyans, fantastic pool table, good porter and a friendly owner. After that we watched the Dublin match in Mick Byrnes, full of both Kerry and Mayo fans, great to see a few former footballers in too. On to Rocky's for the live music then and ended up in Coxs until closing. It feels quite similar to Killarney the way its laid out with all the pubs and craic in one area so made it easy to get around and not get soaked.

Considering the amount of time we were out, it's a testament to the town that we only met 1 a$$hole from the time we arrived until we left. Mighty craic with people from Mayo, Kerry and everywhere in between.

Have to give a mention to our BnB, Rocksberry House, out the Westport road. If any locals have family visiting you'll be hard pushed to find a better place for them to stay. Absolutely everything about it was fantastic with the best breakfast I've ever had and owners couldnt do enough for us even offering to drop us into town yesterday.

Have already said to the missus we should head to Castlebar for a weekend. Mighty spot. Thanks for all the tips and advice here. Much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

More to it than county board letting on

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tim-o-leary-says-mayo-gaa-did-not-want-the-rest-of-his-donation-1.4189439

Official response (referenced in article above)

March 1st 2020
    Statement from John O'Leary

As Tim O'Learys younger brother, I would like to set out a few facts about his involvement with Mayo GAA.

1. Tim has being attending Mayo games for 10+ years with his family and friends. He travelled from London, New York and Bahamas whenever possible to follow Mayo.

2. Tim is impulsive and when he gets something in his mind thats it. Unlike most of us (me included), when he says he is going to do something, invariably it gets done. Tim recognised the huge gap in the finances and professionalism between Mayo and Dublin and wanted to try and narrow that. He also saw the huge potential in the Mayo diaspora worldwide as an untapped asset.

3. Tim paid $250,000 into the Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation plus over $100,000 in expenses. 4 Donors gave $20,000 each and the rest < $10,000. Combined with the €150,000 he gave MCB in 2019 he donated circa €500,000. Importantly he was very generous with both his time and money to the players, assisting with new boots, ipads, travel, nights out, medical bills etc. All he asked for in return were match tickets and for transparency about how his money was used.

4. The foundation used proceeds from the NY gala in may 2019 and paid $70,000+ for a 4 day training camp at Rockland GAA in New Jersey. A camp abroad of that size and duration was a first for any county GAA senior team ever. Feedback from senior players and management was very positive and there were plans to organise future camps.

5. The Mayo County Board made it very clear via a phonecall to a well known trustee on tuesday after they released their statement that they were also terminating their relationship with the foundation and DID NOT want the money. For obvious reasons they did not want to put that into writing and instead let people make the wrong assumptions about Tims integrity and honesty.

6. Tims choice was to repay the money to the donors on a pro-rata basis (most would have gone back to him) OR distribute the monies to charities and the mayo ladies football team. I believe he made the right decision and he has started the process of dispursing funds as chosen by the trustees.

7. Tim had worked hard to get pledges of €1m+ for the foundation to go towards the new academy. They have all being withdrawn following the foundations closure. How will Mayo GAA now find the funds for the academy? Biscuit Tins? More levies on clubs? Cancel it all together? Tim believed a state of the art academy would not only be beneficial for the local community but was the only way Mayo GAA could compete with the likes of Dublin, Kerry etc and he was prepared to invest a lot of personal time and money to make that happen.

8. Consider the way the Mayo County Board treated Tim the last 12 months. Was the response by the Mayo County Board to his tweet on Sunday night really appropriate given what he and the foundation were offering? Was it necessary to publicly humilate someone who had contributed so much? It was only 5 weeks ago Tim dropped a legal case against the Mayo County board for the misuse of his €150,000. His lawyer advised him the case was a slamdunk if he proceeded. Tim chose to drop it for the better of Mayo GAA. It is very clear that certain significant people within Mayo GAA circles held grudges against Tim for the manner in which he rightly held them to be more transparent and accountable in 2019 and the MCB executed their revenge last week without thinking about the consequences. Commerical Questions about sponsorship etc still remain unanswered.

9. Tim acknowledges the efforts of both the new chairman and treasurer to move Mayo GAA forward in an environment where they face significant resistance from the "old boys club". He was however frustrated at the speed at which the whole world of GAA operates at. He saw the gap between Mayo and Dublin, Kerry etc widening so delays needed to be kept to a minimum to remain competitive

10. Finally, at a time when trolling, social media bullying is a hot topic, please consider the abuse/vile comments Tim has received this week and what that has done to him and his family. He made a mistake, held his hand up and sincerley apologised. He now just wants to move on, learn from this experience and get back to normality. Hopefully in the future Tim will be able to attend Mayo GAA games in peace as a fan with his son and the mayo people recognise despite his occasional inpulses/outbursts his intentions were genuine and for the betterment of Mayo GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

dobman88 wrote: »
    Just home after a great first trip to Castlebar. The football was 2nd fiddle for me this weekend as I mentioned and the town didn't disappoint. Got in about 4pm yesterday and after googling for a good pool table, ended up on Sloyans, fantastic pool table, good porter and a friendly owner. After that we watched the Dublin match in Mick Byrnes, full of both Kerry and Mayo fans, great to see a few former footballers in too. On to Rocky's for the live music then and ended up in Coxs until closing. It feels quite similar to Killarney the way its laid out with all the pubs and craic in one area so made it easy to get around and not get soaked.

Considering the amount of time we were out, it's a testament to the town that we only met 1 a$$hole from the time we arrived until we left. Mighty craic with people from Mayo, Kerry and everywhere in between.

Have to give a mention to our BnB, Rocksberry House, out the Westport road. If any locals have family visiting you'll be hard pushed to find a better place for them to stay. Absolutely everything about it was fantastic with the best breakfast I've ever had and owners couldnt do enough for us even offering to drop us into town yesterday.

Have already said to the missus we should head to Castlebar for a weekend. Mighty spot. Thanks for all the tips and advice here. Much appreciated

You should have gotten the bus to Westport!

Only joking, great to hear the good write up. Coxes... where men with no future go to meet women with long pasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

A family statement

How embarrassing!

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

They were right to cut Tim loose. I heard Tim fell out with Horan because he stopped him getting into the dressing room. He's trying too use his supporting of Mayo for his own interests. A read through his Twitter will show what a clown he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

They were right to cut Tim loose. I heard Tim fell out with Horan because he stopped him getting into the dressing room. He's trying too use his supporting of Mayo for his own interests. A read through his Twitter will show what a clown he is.

Thsts a load of rubbish if I ever heard it

naughto wrote: »
    Thsts a load of rubbish if I ever heard it

I heard from an ex county player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

PressRun wrote: »
    Darren Coen is a confidence player and unfortunately confidence players tend to be inconsistent. I always feel if he pops the first point he attempts, he'll score them all, but if he misses, he'll miss everything else all day. Players like this are unreliable tbh.

The problem with the entirety of the forward line is that none of them are really consistent enough. You'll get flashes of something or other from one or two, but they never seem to be able to do it consistently.

The first half performance today was very bleak, given what was at stake. The damage was more or less done by half time.

Darren just back from injury...you talk about inconsistency but most of our forwards bar the now retired Andy are very inconsistent...Kevin Mc misses easy frees all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

We realistically need two wins, which is not impossible but it's going to be very tough.

If we win against Galway and Donegal beat Tyrone, it will be in our own hands going into the last day. We'd certainly take that.

We realistically need two wins, which is not impossible but it's going to be very tough.

If we win against Galway and Donegal beat Tyrone, it will be in our own hands going into the last day. We'd certainly take that.

The weeks break will be a godsend too
    I was despairing at HT . The lack of fight was the thing that worried me most (along with once again the lack of anything resembling tactics in any shape of form but that’s another story )
    But I am more hopeful now
    We HAVE to get some lads back for last two games though so we don’t have a heap of half fit lads coming back together in May
    We have talked about the negatives a lot
    So the positives

Clarke - ye know my feelings already. His kickouts were really good too under testing conditions !
    Mullin - the real deal. Handled Clifford well.
    McCormack - a squad option for sure
    Aido - inspirational second half
    Ryan O D - I was (still am a little ) bit worried about his strength/size but he eased those worries for me a little second half . Super footballer .
    Eoin O D - just started him please and let him have a run of games
    Conroy - is going to be an option sooner rather than later
    Diarmuid - second half only but really drove on . Long range frees are an option . Close in no Cos his technique isn’t suited

I thought we would spring a suprise yday but we fell short
    I won’t rule it out in 2 weeks time though ;)

God we are an optimistic bunch when all is said and done :D

Forgot Jordan Flynn who got through a power of work
    And
    Young mcloughlin who had a huge impact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Agree with all of that KM. There were a lot of postivies in the second half. Ryan O'Donoughe had a great game and Aidan led by example.

The weather really went against us too I thought. When we were chasing the game with 15 minutes to go, the wind picked up serious along with the rain and only stopped in injury time. I thought some of the scores we worked during that period were superb. Eoin O'Donoughe kicked a great score, the move that Aidan finished off and not to mention the goal.

It's just a pity we left ourselves with that much to do but we'll stay optimistic for the next two weeks, why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

yew_tree wrote: »
    Darren just back from injury...you talk about inconsistency but most of our forwards bar the now retired Andy are very inconsistent...Kevin Mc misses easy frees all the time.

As I said in my original post:

PressRun wrote: »
    The problem with the entirety of the forward line is that none of them are really consistent enough.

I'm sure yourself and others that wanted Tim gone have the donations at the ready. I have heard of cutting ones nose to spite oneself but the county board really did it this time.
    They should of sucked it up for the benefit of the team and future teams. But as always there is a queue ready to back slap there never ending inept decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I heard from an ex county player

I’d say that’s rubbish. He was only praising Horan as the man to take Mayo forward about 3 days before the Horanout tweet. Given he was at the Rugby that Sunday he can’t have fallen out with Horan in the time between the 2 tweets.
    Also I’d take a lot of what is said by some of our ex players with a pinch of salt, there are 2 in particular - one who’s prominent on twitter, has his Mammy write the letters and gets the odd gig from the like of Paddy power and another who gets the odd gig on Newstalk that have a fondness for ****e talk.

I'm sure yourself and others that wanted Tim gone have the donations at the ready. I have heard of cutting ones nose to spite oneself but the county board really did it this time.
    They should of sucked it up for the benefit of the team and future teams. But as always there is a queue ready to back slap there never ending inept decisions.

Tim's issue was with the old county board, he campaigned for and was happy with the changes that came about. A county influencer should not be making public statements calling for the manager to be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MayoMick19

I have it on good authority that OLeary fell out with Horan in December, because he refused to give James his Xmas present in a brown envelope. Everyone in Mayo know how fond Horan is of the $$$$. They he brings back his old sidekick Noel Howley to be his unofficial "fundraiser"
    Managing your county is a huge honour. you are not meant to take the job to make a few bob

• Advertisement

Imagine starting an account to post that drivel
    And what’s worse is one person has thanked it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MayoMick19

Almost as bad as saying O'Leary wanted to drive the team bus, take coaching sessions and do the the half time team talk! Given past performance, I guess he is supping pints on match day like the rest of us.
    Reality is noone will ever know the whole story. the loser in all of this are kids of mayo as the academy will be delayed given mayos financial position.
    Given the public fallout, it is also unlikely anyone will rush to fill the void in funding. what a disaster

MayoMick19 wrote: »
    Almost as bad as saying O'Leary wanted to drive the team bus, take coaching sessions and do the the half time team talk! Given past performance, I guess he is supping pints on match day like the rest of us.
    Reality is noone will ever know the whole story. the loser in all of this are kids of mayo as the academy will be delayed given mayos financial position.
    Given the public fallout, it is also unlikely anyone will rush to fill the void in funding. what a disaster

Hi Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'm unconvinced Darren Coen has the level of consistency required at the highest level. He's blows very hot and cold in terms of his performance levels match on match.

ATM I do not believe Stephen Coen offers the team enough to justify a starting place.

This is so true. He just gets the ball and moves it to the side. He lacks pace to beat his man and I think he is really lucky to be getting so much game time. He does not offer enough of a threat when he is on the ball and that is his biggest issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭flasher0030

This is so true. He just gets the ball and moves it to the side. He lacks pace to beat his man and I think he is really lucky to be getting so much game time. He does not offer enough of a threat when he is on the ball and that is his biggest issue.

Seems to lack confidence or panics a bit. Very evident (in the Meath game I think). He got the ball and called a mark. He was only about 30 yards from goal. But it was like it suddenly dawned on him "shlt, what do I do now". He had to take a shot on goal, but he just kicked it tamely into one of the defenders. I know he already has great experience - captain of underage teams at All-Ireland level, but it just likes the occasion gets the better of him at senior inter-county.

MayoMick19 wrote: »
    Given the public fallout, it is also unlikely anyone will rush to fill the void in funding.
    km79 wrote: »
    one person has thanked it

That was a mistake, but he does make a very valid point.

Do i care if he hurt the feelings of the county board, No. Do i want to see the team and future teams funded to an adequate level, Yes. Well it appears the county board and its supporters won out. They will be the same hypocrites that will be complaining about the lack of facilities and funding/no silverware. There isn't a queue of sponsors lining up to throw money at Mayo. Some need to come down off their pedestals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

That was a mistake, but he does make a very valid point.

Do i care if he hurt the feelings of the county board, No. Do i want to see the team and future teams funded to an adequate level, Yes. Well it appears the county board and its supporters won out. They will be the same hypocrites that will be complaining about the lack of facilities and funding/no silverware. There isn't a queue of sponsors lining up to throw money at Mayo. Some need to come down off their pedestals.

That's true from the financial side that he did provide. He was right to raise concerns about accountability of the financial spending but he is damaging the Mayo brand and not conducting himself in a proper manner. When I say proper manner, he should not be issuing all these public statements and work with the county board to bring about change, especially with the new guys in situ.

The Horan statement from him was out of order and I can see why they want him out of the equation. I would too as I would never be certain on when he might through his toys out of the pram. TBH, he made himself look really foolish.

The Horan statement from him was out of order and I can see why they want him out of the equation. I would too as I would never be certain on when he might through his toys out of the pram. TBH, he made himself look really foolish.
    True, he did apologise and i'm sure it could of been sorted behind closed doors if the county board wanted to. However it appears the County board were delighted to have the excuse to be rid of him, unfortunately his money has gone with him.

We all have to put up with crap in our jobs, the county board just some across as a group who can't be questioned or challenged. Their priority should be Mayo GAA, they appear to have lost sight of that and made themselves the priority. For that Mayo GAA will suffer in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Might be old news to some on here but I see Mullins could be off to Oz according to The Connaught Telegraph fbook page, saying he's off for a 2 week trial next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »
    Might be old news to some on here but I see Mullins could be off to Oz according to The Connaught Telegraph fbook page, saying he's off for a 2 week trial next month.

He'd be a terrible loss.

An outstanding prospect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement