Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

km79 wrote: »
    It’s snowing !
    Must be super localised?

I'm a few miles outside town and nothing but blue skies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    Must be super localised?

I'm a few miles outside town and nothing but blue skies here.

Very brief shower
    Stopped again

Very small crowd so far and no traffic

Bench looks light. No Carr either.
    Wouldn't mind seeing Towey get a bit of a run. He's looked in flying form for the u20s and took a nice score in his last cameo.

Hopefully a silver lining if James isn't fit.

Lots of new names among the defenders there. Hopefully it's driven by confidence more than necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No sign of Donal Vaughan or Cillian O Connor on the bench.

Strong wind in the direction of the bacon factory end.

• Advertisement

PhoneMain wrote: »
    I will be shocked if Eoin O'D actually starts.

And he doesn’t
    Has to be very demoralizing for him at this stage

http://twitter.com/MayoGAA/status/1234098052291551232

Real contrast in warm ups

Kerry warm up is all attacking plays , kicking points and goals
    Ours is two rectangles running sideways over and back fist passing

Very subdued atmosphere so far too. Hope the team are not as resigned to defeat as most of the supporters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Not sounding good so far, struggling to hold them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Who has the breeze?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Mayo have it, disappointing how flat we are considering the game, have to wonder where we are going when there’s no fight in the team .

They have a free man for every single kickout
    That is what a kickout strategy looks like

This is absolutely SHAMBOLIC

I don’t know what’s the most worrying
    The lack of fight
    The lack of fitness
    The lack of anything resembling tactics

All I know is they all fall at the door of the manager

Thoroughly disappointing first half.The relegation abyss awaits us

Why on earth aren't we going man for man on the Kerry kickouts?Should have pushed up,the zonal set up isn't working.

We've hardly won a kickout either way.

Wide count is shocking.Playing with a wind yet nobody inside.

So lethargic in comparison to Kerry,burnt for pace all over the pitch.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thoroughly disappointing first half.The relegation abyss awaits us

Why on earth aren't we going man for man on the Kerry kickouts?Should have pushed up,the zonal set up isn't working.

We've hardly won a kickout either way.

Wide count is shocking.Playing with a wind yet nobody inside.

So lethargic in comparison to Kerry,burnt for pace all over the pitch.

It’s the lack of fight that worries me
    And I don’t mean the fight that is likely to come when the game is gone and our discipline inevitably goes ( I would sub Higgins at HT Cos he will be the first whose head will go )
    I mean tackling and fighting for loose ball
    I mean supporting team mates who have the ball

Everything is individual
    I am depressed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Jason Doherty's strength and ball winning abilities are sorely missed. We are a lesser team without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

PressRun wrote: »
    Jason Doherty's strength and ball winning abilities are sorely missed. We are a lesser team without him.

Absolutely. We really need him back or someone who can do the work he does.

Ryan O'Donoghue showing well to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Keith makes a mess of the equalizer but much happier with that second half.

First half an absolute shambles, an absolute mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doingthedo

I know this wasn't on telly but any chance highlights will be up anywhere? or simply no cameras at the ground?

Keith makes a mess of the equalizer but much happier with that second half.

First half an absolute shambles, an absolute mess.

Showed more fight in the second half, but I'd still be very concerned about our forward play. I'd also be concerned about our physical strength.

Anyone know what the story is with Cillian O'Connor? Thought he was supposed to get w run out today.

• Advertisement

Division one status on the line, must win game.... And we put in a first half like that?
    Baffling. Players and tactics looked jaded, Oisín the only bright spark. Heart breaking if it costs us division one status. The sooner forgotten the better in my mind. Most painful, on a few levels given the cold, half of football in ages.

Second half a complete turn around.

Aido was inspirational.

Eoghan McLaughlin looked an absolute handful for the opposition, can't wait to watch him develop.

Oisín Mullen looked as good as any corner back in the country today. Scary to think he's so young. Fast, powerful, fantastic concentration and seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

Ryan O'Donoghue again showed some glimpses of brilliance. His vision on the pitch easily beats most of us in the stand. Huge potential there, hopefully he keeps filling it. Be interesting to see him on dryer pitches with the likes of Cillian and Doc back in the mix.

Some decent things to cling to in spite of the result.

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    Division one status on the line, must win game.... And we put in a first half like that?
    Baffling. Players and tactics looked jaded, Oisín the only bright spark. Heart breaking if it costs us division one status. The sooner forgotten the better in my mind. Most painful, on a few levels given the cold, half of football in ages.

Second half a complete turn around.

Aido was inspirational.

Eoghan McLaughlin looked an absolute handful for the opposition, can't wait to watch him develop.

Oisín Mullen looked as good as any corner back in the country today. Scary to think he's so young. Fast, powerful, fantastic concentration and seems to have a great head on his shoulders.

Ryan O'Donoghue again showed some glimpses of brilliance. His vision on the pitch easily beats most of us in the stand. Huge potential there, hopefully he keeps filling it. Be interesting to see him on dryer pitches with the likes of Cillian and Doc back in the mix.

Some decent things to cling to in spite of the result.

Well said.

Real shame we couldn't get the point at the death.

Hard to see us staying up at this stage.

I thought James Mc Cormack performed well.

Oisin Mullin yet again is a shining light.

Aidan O Shea was colossal in the second half,dragged it back into the game.

Ditto Diarmuid.Wrong option to take on those long range frees.He hasn't the range and tried to force them.The one out on the right where he hit the post was more disappointing.

Eoin O Donoghue yet again impressed on his introduction.

Really impressed with Ryan O Donoghue and young Eoghan Mc Laughlin fulfilled much of James Horan's high expectations for him.

What can say about Kevin Mc?Yet another stellar outing,he never ceases to perform.

Only 8000 there today

Much improved second half which puts the first half in an even worse light .
    In the end we left at least a point behind
    McCormack and Mullin were good throughout
    AOS a collusus second half . But special mention to Ryan O Donoghue. He is going to be a special player with a bit more S and C .
    2 week break now so hopefully a bit of work will be done tactically by the coaching team to give us a chance of winning both remaining game
    I would rule nothing out !

Not sure what Eoin O D can do to get a start .
    You have Higgins giving himself a free role and doing as he pleases starting ahead of him again today
    He was excellent when he came on and kicked a huge score

Back to the bench next game . If he even makes the bench
    Bizarre

I'm unconvinced Darren Coen has the level of consistency required at the highest level. He's blows very hot and cold in terms of his performance levels match on match.

ATM I do not believe Stephen Coen offers the team enough to justify a starting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

Zippy hasn't the legs for a full game, he was caught for pace a few times tracking back in the second half. Can't understand why he wasn't subbed. So many good performances in the second half. Towey looked to be a brilliant kicker, pulled off a mcdonaldesque pass into the square near the end.

Aido,although had a good second half, he was way off the pace in the first half.

muddle84 wrote: »
    Zippy hasn't the legs for a full game, he was caught for pace a few times tracking back in the second half. Can't understand why he wasn't subbed. So many good performances in the second half. Towey looked to be a brilliant kicker, pulled off a mcdonaldesque pass into the square near the end.

Aido,although had a good second half, he was way off the pace in the first half.

Zippy initial really poor pass that resulted in the Kerry goal set the tone for us playing catch up.

Thought he might be brought off at half time.

He improved in the second half in a more free role in the half forwards but he certainly doesn't have the legs anymore.

Very disappointing miss at the death. One you'd expect him to score in his sleep.

Most of the team were off the pace in the first half.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I spent a cold afternoon in the stand today...
    Despite the result I was much happier at full time than half time. Lots of the young lads are improving rapidly, we've great prospects in Mullen, Ryan O'Donoghue, Eoghan McLaughlin and possibly Towey. Paddy Durcan was quiet today, Parsons not back to the pace, though he kicked a lovely point.
    I can't help thinking that had management reacted to the disastrous kickout situation a bit sooner the outcome would have been different. It would be great to see Matty Ruane back, he's badly missed.
    I still fancy them to survive division one, maybe by beating Tyrone in the last round.

snailsong wrote: »
    I spent a cold afternoon in the stand today...
    Despite the result I was much happier at full time than half time. Lots of the young lads are improving rapidly, we've great prospects in Mullen, Ryan O'Donoghue, Eoghan McLaughlin and possibly Towey. Paddy Durcan was quiet today, Parsons not back to the pace, though he kicked a lovely point.
    I can't help thinking that had management reacted to the disastrous kickout situation a bit sooner the outcome would have been different. It would be great to see Matty Ruane back, he's badly missed.
    I still fancy them to survive division one, maybe by beating Tyrone in the last round.

The young lads are getting lots of game time which is what is required.Tommy Conroy is another potentially great prospect.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'm unconvinced Darren Coen has the level of consistency required at the highest level. He's blows very hot and cold in terms of his performance levels match on match.

ATM I do not believe Stephen Coen offers the team enough to justify a starting place.

Darren Coen is a confidence player and unfortunately confidence players tend to be inconsistent. I always feel if he pops the first point he attempts, he'll score them all, but if he misses, he'll miss everything else all day. Players like this are unreliable tbh.

The problem with the entirety of the forward line is that none of them are really consistent enough. You'll get flashes of something or other from one or two, but they never seem to be able to do it consistently.

The first half performance today was very bleak, given what was at stake. The damage was more or less done by half time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Sadly for Zippy I don’t see him starting many games in defence for Mayo. He has lost the intensity in the tackle and ability to get tight. It was telling he was moved to the forwards start of the second half. A great servant and he can offer us something up front off the bench.

Echo alot of the comments made here as well. McCormack was excellent today, drove forward as well. Oisin Mullin down a good job on Clifford, that being said his black card was very foolish.

One thing that did bug me was how quick Kerry were able to get some kick-outs away in comparison to us. We’d scored a great point next thing Stephen O’Brien was in up the far end. Higgins had a man outside him for that equaliser effort as well. Leeroy & Durcan finally moving well again. Plenty positives to bring to Salthill. At half-time I was thinking our season would be a short one!!

In fairness to Horan he is backing the Youth. This is a rebuild job in full operation. You only had to look at the bench to see that. The problem so far is the senior players have been way off the pace but that all changed second half today. Ryan O’Donoghue was my Mayo MOTM. Tommy Conroy showed well also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement