Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model Y

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Great value alright

It's just so bland, not ugly, but boring.

Tesla badly need a new designer, even the new Roadster looks plain.

I wouldn't complain to be honest if they started to make the Y model straight away and selling it....

It make sense to me, take the Model 3, make it a little higher and sell it as a Crossover so they can get to market quickers....

The problem is they announce it and then say it will be 2021 before it will start selling. So why bother? if they are going to wait around for so long then why not do something different....I get more confused by Tesla every day of the week....

They biggest issue they have is selling an electric car into a market which buy Crossovers. They have the jump on everyone else and instead of killing the market they are waiting. By the time 2021 come around the Crozz from VW will be on sale for at least 1 year.

People talk about "tesla killer". I don't think anyone needs a Tesla killer because they are doing the job themselves.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I wouldn't complain to be honest if they started to make the Y model straight away and selling it....

It make sense to me, take the Model 3, make it a little higher and sell it as a Crossover so they can get to market quickers....

The problem is they announce it and then say it will be 2021 before it will start selling. So why bother? if they are going to wait around for so long then why not do something different....I get more confused by Tesla every day of the week....

They biggest issue they have is selling an electric car into a market which buy Crossovers. They have the jump on everyone else and instead of killing the market they are waiting. By the time 2021 come around the Crozz from VW will be on sale for at least 1 year.

People talk about "tesla killer". I don't think anyone needs a Tesla killer because they are doing the job themselves.....

Was all good reading and agreed with everything till the VW and Crozz came up

VW are going to be the biggest let down ever, it will be well into 2021 when they start selling base model's, they are only making 100k ID's in 2020 and they will be top of the range model's, not the 25k model's they are constantly talking up.

Yanks are after them for more billions too which they don't have, they are even more screwed then Tesla

Was all good reading and agreed with everything till the VW and Crozz came up

VW are going to be the biggest let down ever, it will be well into 2021 when they start selling base model's, they are only making 100k ID's in 2020 and they will be top of the range model's, not the 25k model's they are constantly talking up.

Yanks are after them for more billions too which they don't have, they are even more screwed then Tesla

I am not getting into a VW conversation....

The point is Tesla have a chance to kill the competition and they are waiting around for what exactly? they are supposed to have the batteries? the Y is not a new car, they could release tomorrow.

by the time it comes around loads of companies will have option out to market.....Polestar will be the car everyone will want then if they are looking for a new company

I am not getting into a VW conversation....

The point is Tesla have a chance to kill the competition and they are waiting around for what exactly? they are supposed to have the batteries? the Y is not a new car, they could release tomorrow.

by the time it comes around loads of companies will have option out to market.....Polestar will be the car everyone will want then if they are looking for a new company

Your around long enough to know nothing will change in the next 18-24 months

Tesla will still be producing in way higher volumes than anyone else, Hyundai, Nissan, Polestar lol and all the other giants will still be pissing around with low volume crap, extortionate prices and promising the world

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In fairness to Nissan, they’ve decent pricing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

macnab wrote: »
    I think the Model Y needs to look more like an SUV to appeal to the fashion conscious buyer.
    The fundamentals of the Y are spot on but some buyers dont see beyond the looks.
    Obviously aerodynamics and safety were the prime directive for the design brief.
    Having said that I think it is a great product and will probably outsell all other Tesla models combined.
    Well done Tesla.

Was just thinking the same. It looks....bland. And small.

I literally bought my Kadjar as it looked better than the rest (according to the Mrs.). But the model Y is...uninspiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

The point is Tesla have a chance to kill the competition and they are waiting around for what exactly?

Cash. They turnover about $2bn a month and as they're making virtually no profit, they're therefore spending $2bn a month. At those sorts of figures, even a small percentage blip in the wrong direction would stop the company dead. When they were smaller Elon could top it up with his personal funds or do a whip around from friends, but that's just not a runner at this stage.

We know Elon is obsessed with getting the world into EVs as quickly as he can, so I think if he could move faster he would. But even during the presentation the other night he mentioned how the company would have died if they didn't produce the Model3 at the required levels a few months ago (think he said they slowed MX/MS to allow it?). Think it's just a very close balancing act.

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Cash. They turnover about $2bn a month and as they're making virtually no profit, they're therefore spending $2bn a month. At those sorts of figures, even a small percentage blip in the wrong direction would stop the company dead. When they were smaller Elon could top it up with his personal funds or do a whip around from friends, but that's just not a runner at this stage.

We know Elon is obsessed with getting the world into EVs as quickly as he can, so I think if he could move faster he would. But even during the presentation the other night he mentioned how the company would have died if they didn't produce the Model3 at the required levels a few months ago (think he said they slowed MX/MS to allow it?). Think it's just a very close balancing act.

Not the story that gets told here....according to most people all the established car manufacturers are going bust and Tesla are taking over

The advantage Tesla has is they a bit ahead of the market but the fact they cannot supply the model 3 in numbers and they Model Y is not available I think will be a huge error long term....

Neo in China just out sourced the manufacturing so they got product out to market quickly....you see all the other car manufacturers do the same

If I was on board of Tesla I would be firing as much of product out as quick as possible before the big boys catch up....it’s not like you would have quality concerns, it’s already bad

Go to a Ford or Merc and partner with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Not the story that gets told here....according to most people all the established car manufacturers are going bust and Tesla are taking over

There's an eclectic mix of posters here now in-fairness :D. Anybody who has been involved in running/financing a business though is acutely aware that you're often faced with huge amounts of opportunity, but only a limited amount of funds to address that opportunity. If you have lots of money in the bank, or are making plenty of profit every month then you can take chances on new markets/products/opportunities, but if you're in around break-even with lots of debt and a small war chest you need to be much more careful.

Tesla would need to throw I'd guess tens of billions at battery factories and production lines to get to the production numbers you're thinking of (double or triple their current numbers?), they just don't have that kind of money so need to grow organically (which means slowly).

• Advertisement

Zenith74 wrote: »
    There's an eclectic mix of posters here now in-fairness :D. Anybody who has been involved in running/financing a business though is acutely aware that you're often faced with huge amounts of opportunity, but only a limited amount of funds to address that opportunity. If you have lots of money in the bank, or are making plenty of profit every month then you can take chances on new markets/products/opportunities, but if you're in around break-even with lots of debt and a small war chest you need to be much more careful.

Tesla would need to throw I'd guess tens of billions at battery factories and production lines to get to the production numbers you're thinking of (double or triple their current numbers?), they just don't have that kind of money so need to grow organically (which means slowly).

Hence why you partner with larger company, they had a relationship with Merc which is gone now

Ford needed help to transfer to electric and are now with VW....

Let’s say they partner with Ford, both American so I’m sure they would get some benefits. They would get ready access to huge manufacturing and they would get access to money to get more batteries.....
    Doing it solo, which looks to be Musk choice, might end up killing the company long term

slave1 wrote: »
    In fairness to Nissan, they’ve decent pricing

For a micra

Leaf is a rip off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭conor_mc

In my opinion, given all the flak Tesla/Musk have taken for being late on the 3, the SEC trouble with the tweets, grumbles about hyping solar tiles but going nowhere with them yet, it should be a bit of a relief to the doubters/naysayers that this was a much more measured announcement with what would seem to be a reasonable timeline.

After giving out that Musk was playing it too fast and loose for too long, it seems there is a palpable sense of disappointment that he might have actually learned some lessons along the way!

As for teaming up with Ford or whoever, that would be a disaster for Tesla’s stated goal of accelerating the change to sustainable energy. They would simply become a car company and outpost of Ford and lose their ability to disrupt and innovate across the entire spectrum of sustainable energy.

Remember, according to that goal, getting VW and whoever else to the EV party in large numbers is a success, not a failure!

Hence why you partner with larger company, they had a relationship with Merc which is gone now

Ford needed help to transfer to electric and are now with VW....

Let’s say they partner with Ford, both American so I’m sure they would get some benefits. They would get ready access to huge manufacturing and they would get access to money to get more batteries.....
    Doing it solo, which looks to be Musk choice, might end up killing the company long term

No rush when you have no competition

Tesla are now the best selling EV producer in Europe and US

They will partner with Toyota sometime in the future imo, both are in partnership with Panasonic for battery supply

No rush when you have no competition

Tesla are now the best selling EV producer in Europe and US

They will partner with Toyota sometime in the future imo, both are in partnership with Panasonic for battery supply

I love this "best selling" stuff.....

In reality what percentage of the market does Tesla have? would they have got to 1% yet? in either US or Europe?

How many cars have Tesla sold in Europe to be number 1?

The BEV market at the moment in Europe for instance is what percentage of the total sales in Europe? would it be 1-2%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The problem is they announce it and then say it will be 2021 before it will start selling. So why bother? if they are going to wait around for so long then why not do something different...

I had to read that a second time, I thought you were talking about VW! ;)

• Advertisement

I love this "best selling" stuff.....

In reality what percentage of the market does Tesla have? would they have got to 1% yet? in either US or Europe?

How many cars have Tesla sold in Europe to be number 1?

The BEV market at the moment in Europe for instance is what percentage of the total sales in Europe? would it be 1-2%?

Like for like

Looks like Giga 4 is going into Berlin and Elon says Model Y will be first up...
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1194373823912538112?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Anyone care to guesstimate when we can expect the Model Y over here?

Surely it will be quicker than the M3, but still years no doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Probably 1.5-2 years away from the launch in US which hasnt happened yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think it really depends on how much innovation there is going to be in the Model Y production line.

If it's just a rebodied Model 3 then I don't see why they can't do near simultaneous ramp-up in US, China and Europe.

In which case I'd guess late 2021.

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »

I'd be thinking 2022.

Its unlikely they will build Giga 4 as fast as the Chinese Giga and they havent turned a sod yet. Just an announcement on where it will be.

Right hand drive will be last and Ireland will be last of the last!

And the Model Y isnt due until 2021 in US (Elon says 2020 but thats Tesla time!)

Unless they decide to deliver some RHD Model Y's from the US. I doubt they will do that if Giga 4 is close to completion as import duties would make it more expensive.

Nice!

Looks like they are on track to go into production in US in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/07/tesla-model-y-performance-315-mile-range-121-mpge-most-efficient-suv/amp/

It’s been given an official EPA range of 315 miles for the Performance model. Some other stats at the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭carloscorreia

Here are some more pictures of the model Y.
    If I'm not mistaken, US deliveries will start today

https://electrek.co/2020/03/12/tesla-model-y-pictures-reveals-secret-compartment-interior-look/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I saw those pictures last night. Looking good for any of us with 5 in the family. Back seat size looks typical for a large D-segment car (i.e. Modeo or Passat) or any E-segment cars (BMW 5-series, Mercedes E-class, etc.). And as such a full size up from the Model 3 (a small D-segment car) and the likes of Ioniq and Leaf (large C-segment cars)

I'd say 3 teenagers or even adults (as long as they are not big) could travel in the back in reasonable comfort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

unkel wrote: »
    I saw those pictures last night. Looking good for any of us with 5 in the family. Back seat size looks typical for a large D-segment car (i.e. Modeo or Passat) or any E-segment cars (BMW 5-series, Mercedes E-class, etc.). And as such a full size up from the Model 3 (a small D-segment car) and the likes of Ioniq and Leaf (large C-segment cars)

I'd say 3 teenagers or even adults (as long as they are not big) could travel in the back in reasonable comfort

Seriously interested in this. We've two 7 seaters at the moment, and no longer need the size of both, but we'd still like a be more capacity than that the likes the 3 would allow. Ideally, like one PHEV and one BEV. Also, I'd hate to go back to the driving position of a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

HOW much will they sell for here I wonder ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Idbatterim wrote: »

Probably a few thousand more that the similar Model 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I couldn't live with a 3... but I could definitely live with a Y. A hatchback is just so much more practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ryath

Boot looks quite large. Probably the first nearly affordable Ev that would meet my needs. Was considering if I could downsize to get in an Ev but a golden retriever has put an end to that idea. Currently have a 7 seater in 5 seat mode most of the time. 3 foot crate fits down one side of boot but he’s nearly too big for that now at 5 months!

I assume the 7 seat option is just two small rear facing seats like the model S?
    85237515_10163336831915271_6977072534382444544_n.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

• Advertisement

We'd all like to know that!

I reckon we won't get any RHD until they are made in the new Gigafactory in Berlin. The bad thing is that would be some time away. Maybe for early 2022?

The good thing is that it will be an EU built car and will not attract import duty (like the Model 3 does). This will shave a few grand of the price of the car

I'd be cautiously optimistic that we will get a base Model Y (5 seater) with no extras for around the EUR48-49k mark

Ryath wrote: »
    Boot looks quite large. Probably the first nearly affordable Ev that would meet my needs. Was considering if I could downsize to get in an Ev but a golden retriever has put an end to that idea. Currently have a 7 seater in 5 seat mode most of the time. 3 foot crate fits down one side of boot but he’s nearly too big for that now at 5 months!

We're the same. We managed fine in saloon cars with a boot (no hatchback) with 3 kids, but now we have a labrador we need a hatchback

Any pics of your dog? :)

48-49k would be quite good, considering my mate just dropped 35k on a 1.5 petrol T-roc!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The good thing is that it will be an EU built car and will not attract import duty (like the Model 3 does). This will shave a few grand of the price of the car

The cynic in me reckons an extra 10% profit for Tesla!

liamog wrote: »
    The cynic in me reckons an extra 10% profit for Tesla!

The market won't be as one sided anymore in 2022 there will be a lot more competition!

Now the Model 3 is in a league of its own. Selling like hotcakes and I'd say Tesla are making substantial profits on each and every one of them. And fair play, that is what a company is supposed to do in our capitalist society.

The market won't be as one sided anymore in 2022 there will be a lot more competition!

Now the Model 3 is in a league of its own. Selling like hotcakes and I'd say Tesla are making substantial profits on each and every one of them. And fair play, that is what a company is supposed to do in our capitalist society.

the thing is, given the fortune they have pumped in and that the market was always going to catch up eventually, they have to have some window, where they can reap the fruits of their labour and make it all worthwhile. Like you say, that isnt going to last long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

considering they are price 1-1.5k more than the equivalent M3 in the US I'd estimate take the M3 price here and add 2k EUR

ELM327 wrote: »
    considering they are price 1-1.5k more than the equivalent M3 in the US I'd estimate take the M3 price here and add 2k EUR

I didn't know that. In that case the Model Y should be cheaper over here until our Model 3 will also be made in Germany!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d say look at the % difference between the the Y and the 3 in the US and then apply a similar % for here.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    I’d say look at the % difference between the the Y and the 3 in the US and then apply a similar % for here.

Except that we have different taxes! And it depends very much where the car is coming from. The USA or the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

Snip

I'd be cautiously optimistic that we will get a base Model Y (5 seater) with no extras for around the EUR48-49k mark

and so it begins! Two years of price speculations, tax calculations and marine watch :P

I’m another with 3 kids and dying for a proper roomy 5 seater EV that isn’t €90k (eTron, ipace, model S et al). My neighbour has a m3 and it’s simply too small for 3 kids.

However, Looking at the Y measurements, it lists rear shoulder room as 54”, which is between the golf and the Tiguan. I really hope it’s not just a tall narrow car.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/update-tesla-model-y-compete-measurement-with-interior-info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ELM327 wrote: »

Seriously, that's very good. I was expecting at least 5K. How that translates over here though? I'd expect this to absolutely destroy the 3's market if there's that little in it. As for the poster that asked about the third row; they're forward facing seats..

The only fly on the ointment for me is the lack of tow capability, which is pretty much official at this stage.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4563156/

Despite the extra interior space, there's no easy way to take four bikes on a family holiday, or tow a small utility trailer, both of which the M3 can do easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lumen wrote: »
    The only fly on the ointment for me is the lack of tow capability, which is pretty much official at this stage.

Despite the extra interior space, there's no easy way to take four bikes on a family holiday, or tow a small utility trailer, both of which the M3 can do easily.

If hazard a guess and say that there will be an optional one available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    If hazard a guess and say that there will be an optional one available

Ah yes. I see someone posted that:
    The instructions for towing the Model Y on Page 205 provide a warning about a "hitch receiver" conflicting with towing from the rear.

That would be pretty much my perfect car. Only four sleeps until my M3 arrives though. :):rolleyes:

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Ben Sullins vid

The Model Y now looks to me a lot like like a cheaper, more reliable, faster charging Model X, unless you really need the full 6 (7?) forward-facing seats.

It'll be interesting to see if they bother updating the X with a new drivetrain after they do the same with the S, or just let it wither and die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its a lot bigger than I thought is would be. I think the 7 seat option will be expensive enough but this is going to be a winner in the fitz family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ryath

We're the same. We managed fine in saloon cars with a boot (no hatchback) with 3 kids, but now we have a labrador we need a hatchback

Any pics of your dog? :)

He's more indulged than the kids!
    :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112829877&postcount=2244
    Lumen wrote: »

Hopefully it's added as an option later, it's a deal breaker for me to for carrying bikes. I'm not going back to using a rack with straps!

Aw man that puppy picture! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement