Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    my all time favorite fast saloon, the e60 M5.

You do realise your 90D is away faster from the lights than that glorious V10 racing engine can propel the M5? Which kind of makes the ultimate saloon, well, eh, not so ultimate any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Oh I do, and it is a very much mixed emotion!
    Similar range too, 240-250 miles!
    Much cheaper to fill up though

The 90D and 100D are actually not far off the performance Y , in terms of 0-60 times. It's over a second slower than the new S, and about a second slower than the new X

This is what I think of when people suggest the S or X will be antiquated.

I wouldn't dismiss the S / X so easily. Sure they use some older tech than the 3 / Y and the designs are a good few years old now. Still the daddy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

unkel wrote: »
    I wouldn't dismiss the S / X so easily. Sure they use some older tech than the 3 / Y and the designs are a good few years old now. Still the daddy though.

I wouldn't trust an X to be honest. Heard nothing but overwhelmingly negative stories regarding build quality and on repeated issues of reliability. And that's from people I know IRL.

There's no denying build quality and other problems with (early) Model X cars.

That said, if you buy a Model X now, second hand with a Tesla warranty, you have nothing much to worry about. Most problems will have been resolved by now and you are protected from the fallout of new problems by the warranty. If something needs fixing, you will get a loaner Tesla for the duration of the works and mostly one that is better / newer than your own car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That said, if you buy a Model X now, second hand with a Tesla warranty, you have nothing much to worry about. Most problems will have been resolved by now and you are protected from the fallout of new problems by the warranty. If something needs fixing, you will get a loaner Tesla for the duration of the works and mostly one that is better / newer than your own car.

Have they though. I see stories from last year of on-going issues on Tesla forums. I want a car to work, getting warranty work, loaners etc. is absolute pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Oh I do, and it is a very much mixed emotion!
    Similar range too, 240-250 miles!
    Much cheaper to fill up though

The 90D and 100D are actually not far off the performance Y , in terms of 0-60 times. It's over a second slower than the new S, and about a second slower than the new X

This is what I think of when people suggest the S or X will be antiquated.

I doubt the vast majority of buyers of the Y care about the 0-100 time within reason, the X, Y, 3 are all ridiculously quick...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I doubt the vast majority of buyers of the Y care about the 0-100 time within reason, the X, Y, 3 are all ridiculously quick...
    They are but for most of us 50k, 60k, 70k plus is a heck ofa lot of money so it should be something that ticks every box

I don't want a performance Y which is only .3-.5 seconds faster to 60 than my "old" S90D from 2016, a non performance model.

To be honest the 0-60 times of 2.3-2.5 in the new S PL is one reason I would consider it over the X or Cybertruck, but , I already have an S and I wanted a change.

0-60 times are very important to some folks.

Have they though. I see stories from last year of on-going issues on Tesla forums. I want a car to work, getting warranty work, loaners etc. is absolute pain in the hole.

I fully get that. The Model X would probably not be a good choice of car for you then.

I'd say for most people in the market for a Model X, there is nothing like it out there, people are aware it is not the most reliable / best built car but they are willing to compromise. Within reason, of course. Not many people buying a second hand Model X would be unaware there can be issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Model Y is THE Tesla car, they've got it bang on now.
    It will be my first Tesla

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »

Musk has always said it will sell more than all other Teslas put together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I will probably try and upgrade to a Model Y when I have paid back the Kona (only 45 months to go :D). I wonder how different the market will look by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

slave1 wrote: »

Me too - my husband has the S but I want the Y!

Any idea the latest on a roll out? Late 2021 still?

The Y started being delivered in the US last week. Could be here in Q4 2020 or H1 2021 is my guess

Musk has always said it will sell more than all other Teslas put together
    Makes sense too. Everyone and his mother wants a CUV these days. Not just the US/CA market either, emea is the same.

If it was 5-7.5k cheaper I think it would blow the competition out of the water. Cant see many people spending 50k on a crossover though

Cant see many people spending 50k on a crossover though

Why not? Plenty of people spent nearly the same money on its little brother, now the best selling car in many markets.

Why not? Plenty of people spent nearly the same money on its little brother, now the best selling car in many markets.
    True, and , like yourself, many more may have bought the 3 if it were a hatchback/crossover instead of a saloon

I think it will be a huge success and easily the best selling Tesla ever.
    I just don't think it's as slam dunk as people seem to think

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They probably do need a smaller hatch for the European market, did I hear that the Chinese designers were given a brief?

liamog wrote: »
    They probably do need a smaller cheaper hatch for the European market

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

True, and , like yourself, many more may have bought the 3 if it were a hatchback/crossover instead of a saloon

I think it will be a huge success and easily the best selling Tesla ever.
    I just don't think it's as slam dunk as people seem to think

People are forking over €40k for a Kona, e-Niro or 62kWh Leaf, the price gap between these and the Model Y is not so large, and you would be getting a far superior vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

liamog wrote: »
    They probably do need a smaller hatch for the European market, did I hear that the Chinese designers were given a brief?

I'm sure I saw a photo somewhere of a Tesla model 2 prototype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I'm sure I saw a photo somewhere of a Tesla model 2 prototype.

Never heard of a prototype, but Muskie did say a "small" Tesla would def be coming at some point.

I think there was an unofficial rendering at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks kinda Nissan Juke size

That looks very cool. I don't think there is a major urgency on Tesla to unveal this, let alone launch it in the next year or so though. Time to make massive profits first and overwhelm the world with the best selling Model 3 and Model Y first :D

A small video showing the model Y heat pump and some Elon Musk's twitter comments

https://electrek.co/2020/03/23/tesla-model-y-heat-pump-elon-musk-best-engineering/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

the Y has fixed most of the rear and boot space issues we had with the 3, which we just couldn’t use as the main family car. I think the Y will be a winner.

To put it in perspective, here’s a list of 5-seater SUVs in the €55-65k bracket:
    Stelvio
    Q5
    X3
    F-Pace
    Velar
    Evoque
    Discovery sport
    GLC
    Xc60

That’s a LOT of decent volume models that we see on Irish roads every single day.
    Based on that list alone, Id say the Y will capture a lot of those middle class buyers.

• Advertisement

Advertisement