Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruit Prison Officer 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tbromi17

Dien wrote: »
    And it's a long day guys with only tea and biscuits to sustain you, I'd bring a packed lunch to see ye through.

Is the strength part hard? I wouldn't have much upper body strength but should be ok for the running..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 patrickpints

Tbromi17 wrote: »
    Is the strength part hard? I wouldn't have much upper body strength but should be ok for the running..

Think you have to lift/push 34kg, tbh that's not a lot, practice a few bench presses.

Adrenaline will kick in on the day

Running I'm more concerned about

Dien wrote: »
    And it's a long day guys with only tea and biscuits to sustain you, I'd bring a packed lunch to see ye through.

When you say a long day? How long? Says test is 30mins to an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BK1997

Hi Guys

I Just have a few questions if anybody could help.
    I would really appreciate it as you guys seem to be ahead of me.
    I passed my interview and I got placed in the late 100.
    I just wanted to see how long you guys had to wait for your medical to come up or for your physical? Or even for your clearance to come back? And how long is the average wait to get into the college?
    I tired looking back but couldn’t find allot, I thought it might be easier just to ask myself.
    Congratulations to all who passed iswell.

BK1997 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I Just have a few questions if anybody could help.
    I would really appreciate it as you guys seem to be ahead of me.
    I passed my interview and I got placed in the late 100.
    I just wanted to see how long you guys had to wait for your medical to come up or for your physical? Or even for your clearance to come back? And how long is the average wait to get into the college?
    I tired looking back but couldn’t find allot, I thought it might be easier just to ask myself.
    Congratulations to all who passed iswell.

Well done on passing, I'm in the 60's got called for my medical and hearing early october, all had to be back by the 31st oct, I'm guessing I will get offered a pct test date early dec.

As for the security clearance, how long a piece of string? Could be 2 months to 6 months depending on how big your family is, previous addresses, how many countries you have lived in etc.

I'm guessing you will get called to stage 4 from january on, so keep up the fitness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BK1997

Thanks a million for getting back so fast.
    And well done to you to. ðŸ˜
    Hopefully it’s not to long to get the clearance back I just saw some people were waiting a year to get theirs back.
    I wish their was some way of speeding up things
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pathfinder2285

Sweet man, all sent back, just waiting to be called for the dreaded physical....then wait for about 10 years for the security clearance to come back haha

My security clearance is going to be the big drama as I spent a lot of time out of country, got email through reference fitness test so probably bump into you next monthðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sea eagle 101

My security clearance is going to be the big drama as I spent a lot of time out of country, got email through reference fitness test so probably bump into you next monthðŸ‘

Thinking mine will take ages as well, spent 9 years out of the country and there's 10 siblings on my mothers side

I heard nothing about November's pct class so I'm guessing I'm getting called for December's, no harm gives me more time to keep running

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sea eagle 101

Can anyone from a previous year who's done there PCT confirm this. I heard that even if you dont get in the 40 shuttles in the 3.30 minutes you will still pass as long as you keep running, am I just grasping at straws here? Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Pathfinder2285

I heard nothing about November's pct class so I'm guessing I'm getting called for December's, no harm gives me more time to keep running

I managed to get my medical and Audiogram done within a week of notice, should get in comma with you as soon as they receive it and book you on the next PCT, I had dramas with my hearing (army days) so they phoned me but put me forward anyway, you should get notice soon

I managed to get my medical and Audiogram done within a week of notice, should get in comma with you as soon as they receive it and book you on the next PCT, I had dramas with my hearing (army days) so they phoned me but put me forward anyway, you should get notice soon

Sweet, I better keep at the running so, sooner I get this over the better, want to get in asap

Can anyone from a previous year who's done there PCT confirm this. I heard that even if you dont get in the 40 shuttles in the 3.30 minutes you will still pass as long as you keep running, am I just grasping at straws here? Lol

You might be better posting that in the 2018 campaign thread, maybe if you over by a few seconds, I'm not the fittest and I can do it in 3m 20s and that's with damn all training but keeping at the running

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dave .moriarty

Would the majority of candidates going forward for this position have a degree in something?

It just seems the way irish education is at the moment that the calibre of candidates for even the simplest jobs are over qualified .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Emk888

Did anyone get an email about going to a doctor in Dublin? Presuming it’s about the health problems on the online questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Emk888 wrote: »
    Did anyone get an email about going to a doctor in Dublin? Presuming it’s about the health problems on the online questionnaire.

Got a letter not a email asking for a report from my GP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Emk888

I got a letter as well a few weeks ago but got an email yesterday to go to Smithfield to a doctor, I had knee surgery this year so it must be about that

Emk888 wrote: »
    I got a letter as well a few weeks ago but got an email yesterday to go to Smithfield to a doctor, I had knee surgery this year so it must be about that

Ah ok my report will land today so we'll see, my BMI was high so I'm sure I'll be made do a step test.

The BMI thing is ridiculous, I know I'm over weight but I also have a lot of muscle and am quite tall so I was down as super obese :D:D Doubt someone super obese could get out of a chair let alone go to the gym like I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Arod13

Ah ok my report will land today so we'll see, my BMI was high so I'm sure I'll be made do a step test.

The BMI thing is ridiculous, I know I'm over weight but I also have a lot of muscle and am quite tall so I was down as super obese :D:D Doubt someone super obese could get out of a chair let alone go to the gym like I do.

Do you mind me asking what your BMI was?
    The CMO uses common sense,when he sees you he’ll prob roll his eyes and just send you through!
    Think they know that the BMI doesn’t paint an accurate pic of the candidate but they still use it for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Heh my doc did a BMI test last year and I was super obese too! I’m 5 10” and 14 stone. I play soccer 3 times a week and do powerlifting 5 times a week, I’d consider myself to be quite fit and have a good amount of muscle. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

• Advertisement

Arod13 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what your BMI was?
    The CMO uses common sense,when he sees you he’ll prob roll his eyes and just send you through!
    Think they know that the BMI doesn’t paint an accurate pic of the candidate but they still use it for some reason!

In the 30s I think, not going to lie I do need to lose about 2 stone but I cant track my weight properly with a scales so I rely on clothes getting looser :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RPO Candidate 2019

Would the majority of candidates going forward for this position have a degree in something?

It just seems the way irish education is at the moment that the calibre of candidates for even the simplest jobs are over qualified .

Not necessarily. The minimum educational requirements for the position is:

In the Established Leaving Certificate a minimum of grade D3 (O6 from 2017 onwards) at Ordinary level, or C3 (F5 from 2017) at Foundation Level, in at least 5 subjects.

You could hold a PhD in astrophysics, but that won't count for anything if you fail to affectively display the competencies that the job demands throughout the recruitment process.

Don't get me wrong, educational achievements are never a bad thing when applying for a job. But in this case, once you have the minimal requirements I wouldn't worry too much about it. Concentrate on passing your interview (if you haven't already done so) and best of luck.

Got an email this morning saying I have been passed medically for the pct and inviting me to the 7th of november test. Might put it back to december to be sure as the running is the but I'm worried about

Hmmm, unlikely I would say.

Given that the rules of each stage have been strictly adhered to so far (in my experience, at least), I can't imagine they'd take a more laid back approach at this late juncture.

I was in a similar situation to you only very recently. The running was a major concern. But I practiced the shuttle runs once a day and improved my time surprisingly quickly. I can now comfortably finish it within the time limit. I also found that walking was a great way of building up my overall stamina. Just make a commitment to do a certain amount of training each day and stick to it. You don't have to be Linford Christie in order to pass.

Best of luck.

Any idea if you fail on the day do you have to repeat it that day or get to come back a 2nd day?

Any idea if you fail on the day do you have to repeat it that day or get to come back a 2nd day?

A different day, as far as I'm aware.

A different day, as far as I'm aware.

I might ring them tuesday to be sure

Anyone else get their security clearance back?

Anyone else get their security clearance back?

Think you need to pass the fitness first.

• Advertisement

I might ring them tuesday to be sure

It wouldn't do any harm. Just to be certain. But I honestly couldn't see them making a candidate repeat the physical after failing it on the same day. Say it was down to an injury or sickness on the day in question which affected the candidate's performance, it's highly unlikely that they would be able to repeat it and pass under those circumstances on the same day. But I'm only speculating.

Advertisement