Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds, Heavy Rain Wintry Weather : Sat 2nd to Mon 4th March 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

First thing this morning I checked a range of soundings for my location for this afternoon and the consensus was a snowline around 300 metres. Then I checked the 12Z as it was snowing here and this is what I got; a perfect wet snow sounding. The wbt of the lowest few hundred metres right along the 0-degree isotherm. So the models didn't get it that right at first, but still, I didn't expect it to could down quite as much. A degree here, a degree there, snow or rain, it's just not fair.

Don’t beat yourself up GL. As Kermit said the weather cheated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Gaoth Laidir is an excellent weather forecaster on all sorts of events. But his one (very small) weakness is frontal snow situations.

I remember the early hours of Sunday 10th December 2017. Met EIreann had forecast rain, turning to sleet then snow over large parts of the country. Around 1am most of the charts were green, no pink at all. Gaoth said I just can't see this, it's not going to happen. He seems to lose faith in some of these situations:)

January Snowster is the opposite, he gets overly excited with very, very marginal setups:D

Now i'm an amateur and it's easy be the hurler on the ditch.

Fair play to Gaoth, January Snowster and all the top posters for having the courage to forecast. Otherwise we'd have nothing on our threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

so is the snow over and ..just more rain accross the country overnight? or is there still snow expected..traffic tomorrow (sigh)....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Marengo wrote: »
    Gaoth Laidir is an excellent weather forecaster on all sorts of events. But his one (very small) weakness is frontal snow situations.

I remember the early hours of Sunday 10th December 2017. Met EIreann had forecast rain, turning to sleet then snow over large parts of the country. Around 1am most of the charts were green, no pink at all. Gaoth said I just can't see this, it's not going to happen. He seems to lose faith in some of these situations:)

January Snowster is the opposite, he gets overly excited with very, very marginal setups:D

Now i'm an amateur and it's easy be the hurler on the ditch.

Fair play to Gaoth, January Snowster and all the top posters for having the courage to forecast. Otherwise we'd have nothing on our threads.

Agree, Gaoth Knows his stuff, no doubt about that.

One thing I will say though is that marginal events are often the best set up for heavy snowfall. The weather is one step(at least) ahead of the models, always important to remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

GL may have called it wrong, no biggie.
    When he was saying it was marginal, i thought ok, if he is right - no snow for my location, if he is wrong - a slushy mess for my location.
    He is undoubtedly one to listen too.
    Please look at MTs daily FC today, mentions high ground too.

GL was somewhat right, it slushed at lower levels, not snowed!
    :-) :-)
    Edit : joking

No interest in slushy events, maybe last year has spoiled me, but today was great to look at, but hearing the dripping all the while was so depressing

Not right the amount of posts highlighting he got a marginal set up wrong,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Massive thanks to Meteorite58 for starting this thread and updating with his charts/thoughts throughout the past few days. spot on Meteorite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

32329070697_6cff26ccb5_h_d.jpg

Stack Mts at sunset earlier
    Snow line is about 150m asl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Massive thanks to Meteorite58 for starting this thread and updating with his charts/thoughts throughout the past few days. spot on Meteorite :)

Meteorite is the man in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

The gutters here can barely keep up with the speed of melting ice it’s gonna be gone come twelve tonight at this rate of thaw in Meath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Finished up with 24mm precipitation here near Tralee. Probably around 2 cm snow on the grass at its peak. Was over 8C after midnight and got down to 0.6C mid morning during the snow and currently 4.4C . Interesting day's weather.

Camp , Co Kerry at 16.00 approx

Q9ohAqr.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Bitterly cold in Cork City now. Cars have a thick frost on them. Roads seem ok now though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A fair bit of that sleet or snow seems to have melted again here in Templeogue, a bit of a thaw, but has got cold again. I had been heading to Roundwood, turned back early, and found the roads on the way back a bit slippy, but a bit of melting and rain took of that. Should be fine for cycling tomorrow as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thomasj wrote: »

the people of Tallaght have been behaving themselves then;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

spent the day in dublin, rained all day, back in Dunshaughlin, and the place is covered in Snow!

After a summery February , this is a shock to the system!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What's the outlook for tomorrow morning around the Naas area?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not a flake all winter, come back to Dunshaughlin to a winter wonderland what a great feeling!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

2.3C here near Tralee out by the coast.

Roads probably getting icy in places across the country.

temp_uk_ker3.png

snow is melting here at Dunshaughiin, but garden is still white.Probably be melted by the morning but it's great to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

Went out to the footpath earlier and it was starting to get icy. Few minutes later I look and a neighbour is out with a garden hose washing snow off a car on the road. I hope to god its not like a skating rink going to work at 4am. My car is a few metres away down a bit of a slope.
    Curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

It took me 6 hours & 35 minutes to drive from Thurles to Blanchardstown! Tipperary had plenty of snow!

i got my snow fix, im delighted. Still a chance of more ninja snow over the next 2 weeks.

still a chance of snow middle of this month.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=203&run=18&date=2019-03-03&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

fake

Why are you saying "fake"? I had very similar conditions for hours on end earlier on.

Isn't she purdy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

69da4b5857e23d915b316646e5ca84f7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Looks to be a bit more sleet /snow / rain on the way could make the morning commute even more interesting

• Advertisement

69da4b5857e23d915b316646e5ca84f7.jpg

Damn, dunno why it went sideways ha

Advertisement