Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds, Heavy Rain Wintry Weather : Sat 2nd to Mon 4th March 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Rain here now near Dublin Airport as the front is clearing in to the Irish sea now.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Looks like GL got it wrong again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

john why wrote: »

tenor.gif?itemid=3579864

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Well that was eventful drive on the M6 from Galway to Meath between 4-6pm. All good, arrived safely to destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The most horrible and worthless covering of wet slush I can remember here. I'd have much preferred if it had stayed raining as walking around now is just rotten with deep puddles of slush.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Had some great crack in the park with sliding down the hills and snowball fights, was the most fun I had in a good while!

Well needed after that dreadful winter. Way to go Spring for delivering again this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The most horrible and worthless covering of wet slush I can remember here. I'd have much preferred if it had stayed raining as walking around now is just rotten with deep puddles of slush.

Ok grumpy :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Kutebride wrote: »
    Well that was eventful drive on the M6 from Galway to Meath between 4-6pm. All good, arrived safely to destination.

M7 was nuts. Bailed off at Newbridge and went the back roads through Athgarvan back to N7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Wow, thanks Met Éireann for giving a warning twenty six minutes before it is due to happen, especially something like an ice warning! How could they not have issued this warning or predicted it earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Naas road 03/03/19
    TK3wi5i.jpg

Yep, and what?

• Advertisement

These situations are very marginal and difficult to predict for anyone.

Could easily have gone the other way today as it has done on a couple of these frontal occasions this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Loughc wrote: »
    Well needed after that dreadful winter. Way to go Spring for delivering again this year!

I got my fix of snow in the mountains on 2 February so this was a huge bonus :P .

My third favourite snow event of the decade perhaps after late 2010 and Feb/Mar 2018.

The daffs certainly weren't happy.

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1102289844036952070

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I think that thread for parameters for guaranteed snow needs to be removed from the sticky thread section 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Could easily have gone the other way today as it has done on a couple of these frontal occasions this winter.

In the frog we trust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Well a 1 hr trip to Garristown and back just took 2 and a half - When I left it was raining.... And then Ninja snow ! Only got one pic when I could stop plus a few hairasing moments when I couldn't stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Tough one to predict and can understand how people's opinions differed on potential. Important to respect other's predictions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Can already see Ice on the cars here in Cork City. Gonna be a cold one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In fairness he doesn't get too many wrong all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

cnocbui wrote: »
    I am officially declaring this a major snow incident.

Major-snow-incident.jpg

50mm on the roof of the car

it's not proper snow, though:p Proper snow has to be dry and sourced from the north east to satisfy some posters:p
    I had a feeling nature would throw up a surprise after the February's warmth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Perhaps we need a potential threat/risk warning system, a range of outcomes to a forecast given with a worst case scenario included if extreme weather has a realistic chance of happening.

Are Met E afraid if they are not definite in their forecasts they will lose the public's confidence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Not sure where this idea of snow is coming from. Certainly above 300-400 metres, but lower down it's more cold rain/maybe sleet. There's no cold to speak of and the northwesterly backedge airmass won't support the snow some are hoping for. No soundings showing anything close to low-level snow. I think Met Éireann were a little unclear when they mentioned snow above and should have said on mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

To be fair to GL, Met Eireann also initially gave snow above 300 metres, that was then changed to 200 metres and changed again. This was a tricky one. A nowcast.

Got loads of heavy snow fall myself, here near Kilcullen, kildare. Brought last year right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not sure where this idea of snow is coming from. Certainly above 300-400 metres, but lower down it's more cold rain/maybe sleet. There's no cold to speak of and the northwesterly backedge airmass won't support the snow some are hoping for. No soundings showing anything close to low-level snow. I think Met Éireann were a little unclear when they mentioned snow above and should have said on mountains.

The auld weather models do get it right it every so often :D

Perhaps we need a potential threat/risk warning system, a range of outcomes to a forecast given with a worst case scenario included if extreme weather has a realistic chance of happening.

Are Met E afraid if they are not definite in their forecasts they will lose the public's confidence?

It's difficult because it's so marginal you can end up looking foolish.

I said last night the risk of snow was the biggest risk with the system but that's little more than a punt based on precarious model guidance.

That goes wrong as it could easily have and I look like a buffoon and GL gets it 100% right.

It's difficult to make a call because no one wants to be embarrassed.

Also ME are professional organisation with clients and you particularly don't want to look foolish when your livelihood depends on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Even the most optimistic/pessimistic of the weather models did not suggest heavy snow as early as it hit.

Dublin to Cork took me 4 1/2 hours this afternoon... left Dublin at 130pm, fine to the other side of the roadworks then deteriorated from the Curragh onwards. Crashes on the M8 meant they closed the road at the toll plaza at Portlaoise and only let traffic through when it was cleared. Then I couldn't get above 60 - 70kmh until after Cashel. One lane open with tracks to follow but that was about it.

Got south of Cashel and it turned to rain, back up to full speed again. Got down to Cork in the sun and there was a rainbow.

Villain wrote: »
    The auld weather models do get it right it every so often :D

First thing this morning I checked a range of soundings for my location for this afternoon and the consensus was a snowline around 300 metres. Then I checked the 12Z as it was snowing here and this is what I got; a perfect wet snow sounding. The wbt of the lowest few hundred metres right along the 0-degree isotherm. So the models didn't get it that right at first, but still, I didn't expect it to could down quite as much. A degree here, a degree there, snow or rain, it's just not fair.

sondagewrf_295_454_5_0_1551644756.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Pity the snow stopped but I have to say it was fairly impressive snowfall for 3 hours. The heaviest snowfall I seen in daylight hours in a long time, including last years beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

To be fair to GL, Met Eireann also initially gave snow above 300 metres, that was then changed to 200 metres and changed again. This was a tricky one. A nowcast.

Got loads of heavy snow fall myself, here near Kilcullen, kildare. Brought last year right back.

Yeah Kildare got the fair whack today.

In terms of the models and how they handled today - both ECM and Hirlam more or less spot on 48 hours in advance. Impressive handling of a setup that relied somewhat on evaporative cooling as well to cheat the other maybe slightly less than favorable atmospheric conditions. Not a notably cold air mass. So, yeah, impressive.

For Dubs you see the difference when the wind is offshore as opposed to onshore in these setups. On shore breeze and it's rain from start to finish.

Been done over so many times in this synoptic setup because the wind has not shifted off shore in time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

I had to drive from the Curragh to Newbridge this afternoon to collect one of the kids, it should usually take 20-30 mins round trip but took nearly 2 hours. Madness Ted.

Advertisement