Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

What's the story with Knox? Salanoa seems to be getting more first team games lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Paddy Patterson not likely to get much time off the bench tonight unless absolutely needed with him named on the bench tomorrow aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

didnt get off the bench last time he was on it. aka the craig casey irish treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What's the story with Knox? Salanoa seems to be getting more first team games lately.

Just back from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭joficeduns1

Daft Punk nod from Eir Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster A v Ulster A

Match Summary

Not the best of starts with Munster reduced to 13 men in close succession after two yellow cards are issued. Seán French and Liam Coombes are binned for respective deliberate knock-ons.
    Ulster score the opening try through Conor Rankin and it’s converted by Bill Johnston.
    Munster are restored to the full XV and start mounting pressure on the Ulster defence.
    Cian Hurley scores from close range and with Jack Crowley converting it’s 7-7 after 22 minutes.
    A length of the field score follows from Jake Flannery after 28 minutes.
    Jack Crowley adds the extras and the men in red lead 14-7 after the half hour mark.
    Ulster finish out the half with a Bill Johnston penalty to narrow the gap to four points at the break.

Half-time | 14-10

Diarmuid Barron, Josh Wycherley, Paddy Patterson and Jonathan Wren come on at the beginning of the second half.
    Academy 10 Jack Crowley gets over for his own try after 47 minutes and Munster stretch their lead to 9 points.
    The attacking pressure continues with Josh Wycherley scoring the fourth try after 58 minutes.
    Jake Flannery takes over kicking duties and kicks the conversion to make it 26-10.
    Munster are back to 13 men for the closing stages of the game with no replacements, and Jeremy Loughman is issued with a yellow card. There’s a move to uncontested scrums.
    Ulster capitalise on the numerical advantage and score an unconverted Aaron Sexton try to make it 26-15 with two minutes remaining.
    Conor Rankin gets over for his second try in the 79th minute and Nathan Doak converts to reduce the deficit further.
    With the clock in the red Munster finish out the game with a Jake Flannery penalty.

Full-time | 29-22

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Any idea why we only had 19 players? I didn't cop it when the team was announced, I'd been up since 6 for Super Rugby Aotearoa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Caranica wrote: »
    Any idea why we only had 19 players? I didn't cop it when the team was announced, I'd been up since 6 for Super Rugby Aotearoa :D

And one of those 4 replacements was benching in Cardiff the night before, through unused.
    Purely lack of squad numbers. I imagine a couple of the other players in that squad were also in Cardiff as additional cover the night before.
    Theres no underlying club scene for them to call up from in the current envrionment.

Didnt Leinster last year have to pull out of an A game due to the same lack of squad numbers?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Caranica wrote: »

I assume that it was because that was all that was available from within the "bubble" , given International Call-ups , injuries etc.

Previously they'd just have made a few phone calls and gotten bodies from club rugby to fill the bench , but they aren't allowed do that right now with Covid restrictions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Advertisement

Highlights of the A game

Kendellen and Phillips looked decent in those clips

Kendellen also travelled to Cardiff as backup suggesting he's not too far off the first team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Billy Holland retiring at end of the season.

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1366426746455797762

What a player he's been for Munster. You could see his value on Friday night, when he entered the game the lineout was noticeably better.
    He's retiring while still playing at a top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭phog

Eod100 wrote: »
    Billy Holland retiring at end of the season.

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1366426746455797762

He'll be missed, a quality player and someone who gave leadership during the international window. He really was Mr dependable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A hell of a player and a professional.

I remember playing the Christians team back in the day and whilst he was clearly very very good, I always thought it was others who looked "better" players. He's surpassed them all.
    Seems ready made for coaching though I hope he enjoys some downtime with his family. He's had a tough time in that regards too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's an awful pity that he won't get the send off he's deserves from the Munster fans. Another (minor obviously) thing denied by the pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

He will be missed , but he's going out on his own terms, and with his health intact...as said above..just a pity he can't get a proper send-off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

One of our greats, maximised his abilities and always left it all out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Will never forget his lineout steal against Exeter, literally ran onto the pitch as a sub, straight into the lineout and stole the ball on our own 5 meter line

30 secs in:
    https://youtu.be/nR38lQ0HU0s

https://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2019/01/click-here-if-you-cannot-view-the-clip-above-355.mp4

• Advertisement

Squad update

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/03/02/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-connacht-clash/

Roman Salanoa and Thomas Ahern are undergoing the Return To Play protocols.

RG is in his next phase of rehab

Continuing to rehab: Dan Goggin (hand), Matt Gallagher (shoulder), Neil Cronin (knee), RG Snyman (knee).

I'd like to see Healy given the start this W/E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Fair play to Billy Holland, absolute stalwart for Munster. Every team needs a couple of vital players like him that work incredibly hard and make the most of their ability.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Squad update

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2021/03/02/squad-update-munster-prepare-for-connacht-clash/

Roman Salanoa and Thomas Ahern are undergoing the Return To Play protocols.

RG is in his next phase of rehab

Continuing to rehab: Dan Goggin (hand), Matt Gallagher (shoulder), Neil Cronin (knee), RG Snyman (knee).

I'd like to see Healy given the start this W/E

Carbery will be involved again so that probably means JJH remains in the starting lineup. Given the significance of the game, I'd say the lineup will be close to strongest available.

I really hope Crowley and/or Flannery can get a run against Scarlets and Benetton, they are very short of senior minutes this year. Josh Wycherley is due a run and I'd like to see him involved on Friday.

I'd go for:
    Cronin, KOB, Ryan, Kleyn, F Wycherley, JOD, Cloete, Coombes;
    Casey, JJH, Daly, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, J Wycherley, Knox, Holland, JOS, Patterson, Carbery, Nash

Ireland: Kilcoyne, Beirne, POM, Stander, Murray, Earls
    Injured: Salanoa, Snyman, Ahern, Hodnett, Cronin, Goggin, Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Carbery will be involved again so that probably means JJH remains in the starting lineup. Given the significance of the game, I'd say the lineup will be close to strongest available.

I really hope Crowley and/or Flannery can get a run against Scarlets and Benetton, they are very short of senior minutes this year. Josh Wycherley is due a run and I'd like to see him involved on Friday.

I'd go for:
    Cronin, KOB, Ryan, Kleyn, F Wycherley, JOD, Cloete, Coombes;
    Casey, JJH, Daly, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, J Wycherley, Knox, Holland, JOS, Patterson, Carbery, Nash

Ireland: Kilcoyne, Beirne, POM, Stander, Murray, Earls
    Injured: Salanoa, Snyman, Ahern, Hodnett, Cronin, Goggin, Gallagher

Healy for Jj for me there ,no news on contract situation re Healy either no injury update either criminal not to be giving him a run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Healy for Jj for me there ,no news on contract situation re Healy either no injury update either criminal not to be giving him a run

Van Graan was clear that JJ is 1st choice 10 awhile back while Joey was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

bayern wrote: »
    Van Graan was clear that JJ is 1st choice 10 awhile back while Joey was injured.

Baffling if true Jj has far too many doubts and inconsistencies in his game which despite years of chances don’t look like improving .Healy in his few chances looks like he could be the real deal ....deserves more

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

These are must win games. You go with your strongest line ups. At the minute that doesn't include Healy in the starting XV. We beat Connacht and there are two games to chop and change as well as whatever version of the Rainbow Cup we get.
    Baffling if true Jj has far too many doubts and inconsistencies in his game which despite years of chances don’t look like improving .Healy in his few chances looks like he could be the real deal ....deserves more
    Healy in his most recent appearances has looked pretty shaky. Pens kicked dead and kicks out on the full. If JJ had done similar there would have been uproar.
    I don't think JJ is the long term future, but he's been playing well recently and Healy isn't ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I think the biggest worry about Healy is that he backed off two important tackles in his last game. Connacht would just send Aki at him all night. Having said that I'm sure he's been working on it and I'd be happy to see him in the 23.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Healy has been getting plenty of game time this season. He has 525 mins versus JJ's 686.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Healy in his most recent appearances has looked pretty shaky. Pens kicked dead and kicks out on the full. If JJ had done similar there would have been uproar.
    I don't think JJ is the long term future, but he's been playing well recently and Healy isn't ready yet.

Healey has been rattled since the Marler cheap shot, that put him out for a few games. He needs to get the confidence back..

Advertisement