Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn down two houses and you're off the list

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yet another charity associated with housing people.

How many are there now? But at least (IMO) Cluid and other HAs actually provide homes to vetted tenants. Well via the Councils I presume.

I have often wondered why McVerry and all the other homeless charities are not involved in actually providing homes for people. What exactly do they do with all their charitable donations and grants from Government does anyone know?

PMVT does provide housing.

Local Authorities just do not want the hassle of local authority tenants.

To costly to maintain properties , to difficult to evict tenants and generational dependency .

Sophia is a registered charity too. Majority of income comes from councils

https://www.sophia.ie/images/documents/Directors-Report-and-Financial-Statements-2018-.pdf

Near the end it states that 40% of the CEOs remuneration is paid for by Simon, would that mean that Sophia only show on their accounts what they pay the CEO?

Another housing association and an excellent one too.

I actually can't stand McVerry. I remembering him making statements before and it was basically saying if you worked hard and did well for yourself. You shouldn't have nice things because of the homeless crises.

I'm years in homeless and drug services and wouldn't have much time for him.

He's more or less retired and just makes media statements.

It's PMVT now a completely separate entity from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sophia is a registered charity too. Majority of income comes from councils

https://www.sophia.ie/images/documents/Directors-Report-and-Financial-Statements-2018-.pdf

Near the end it states that 40% of the CEOs remuneration is paid for by Simon, would that mean that Sophia only show on their accounts what they pay the CEO?

https://www.dubsimon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/DSC-accounts-2017.pdf

To be fair, the CEO of the Dublin Simon Community only earns €93,338. However, don't know how much his pension contribution is, that could take it over 100k.

One for those who think our housing charities do things on the cheap.

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.dubsimon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/DSC-accounts-2017.pdf

To be fair, the CEO of the Dublin Simon Community only earns €93,338. However, don't know how much his pension contribution is, that could take it over 100k.

One for those who think our housing charities do things on the cheap.

These are effectively businesses not charities.

I work for one , it employs a variety of staff with a multitude of skills right across the board.
    Social care teams , project workers , various types of of counsellors , therapists backed up by all sorts of ancillary staff.

What do you think we should be paid ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

eviltwin wrote: »
    The rest of his points stand. You are subject to checks before you move in and throughout your stay. Any messing and your out, you sign a contract to that effect and they have a waiting list so they won't be long getting rid of messers.

I think this is overall a good idea, I work in the homeless sector and I've met people who turn down property over ridiculous reasons. Most refusals are for valid reasons and I'd hope they would not be included as refusals under this scheme.

Are the rules for eviction/notice different for HA tenants than for the general population? I doubt it.

If they decide to stay and not pay/overhold, it's off to the courts. I don't think RTB has jurisdiction over HA tenancies, but I could be wrong about that.

You might enlighten me. Thanks.

Are the rules for eviction/notice different for HA tenants than for the general population? I doubt it.

If they decide to stay and not pay/overhold, it's off to the courts. I don't think RTB has jurisdiction over HA tenancies, but I could be wrong about that.

You might enlighten me. Thanks.

A housing association could have you out very quickly , it can take years for a local authority to evict you.

I actually can't stand McVerry. I remembering him making statements before and it was basically saying if you worked hard and did well for yourself. You shouldn't have nice things because of the homeless crises.

He strikes me as being a Marxist just like Jeremy across the water TBH. They seem to dislike anyone who looks after themselves, but woe betide those who do not look after everyone else.

And yes, I do realise that JC lives in Islington. What a laugh. Far from a flea pit that is!

A housing association could have you out very quickly , it can take years for a local authority to evict you.

I really think this needs to be explained to those who are accommodating those on RAS or HAP etc. Why is it different for HAs? They are being sub contracted by the LAs. Surely the Landlord and Tenancy Act applies to everyone?

Doesn't sound right to me.

I really think this needs to be explained to those who are accommodating those on RAS or HAP etc. Why is it different for HAs? They are being sub contracted by the LAs. Surely the Landlord and Tenancy Act applies to everyone?

Doesn't sound right to me.

I think RAS is gone or going and is being replaced by HAP .

Housing Associations are very clear with you , they do background checks , vetting etc and will make you sign a contract.
    They can be very fussy about who gets a tenancy too.

HAP , I suppose you are at the mercy of the unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I worked for the Peter mcverry trust, horrible place to work for the conditions were shocking and he didn’t care one bit for his staff. We were assaulted most nights, some things I can’t say what else happened to other people for obvious reasons and nothing was done, these were in the hostels and residential units.

Because they “were his favourites” they could do what they like to the workers on shift.... I soon got out of it wasn’t safe and no safe guarding for staff at all.

The other man that worked with him, and had since taken over (I’m not naming him) quick google will get him. He would come to meetings in his Audi A7 and armani suits and basically tell us we aren’t working hard enough!

Sickening, the top in there get paid scandalous amounts of money and talk about how bad the homeless crisis is in Ireland, but fail to acknowledge the vast wealth they generate for themselves!

I think RAS is gone or going and is being replaced by HAP .

Housing Associations are very clear with you , they do background checks , vetting etc and will make you sign a contract.
    They can be very fussy about who gets a tenancy too.

HAP , I suppose you are at the mercy of the unknown.

Thanks,

But I think you may have missed my point. There are no special rules for HAs or anything else including RAS and HAP regarding evicting a tenant. Are there?

Why should a HA or council have special rules outside the pain some private landlords have to endure to evict rogue tenants? That would be very wrong and illegal imv.

Anyway, as you say good vetting is the key. But if it doesn't work out, they have to obey the laws about notice periods, and overholding just like other landlords surely?

I'd love to know how the procedure to evict/give notice/overholding by HA etc. tenants is different to the general law on this.

No matter what vetting goes on, there will always be someone.....

bri007 wrote: »
    I worked for the Peter mcverry trust, horrible place to work for the conditions were shocking and he didn’t care one bit for his staff. We were assaulted most nights, some things I can’t say what else happened to other people for obvious reasons and nothing was done, these were in the hostels and residential units.

Because they “were his favourites” they could do what they like to the workers on shift.... I soon got out of it wasn’t safe and no safe guarding for staff at all.

The other man that worked with him, and had since taken over (I’m not naming him) quick google will get him. He would come to meetings in his Audi A7 and armani suits and basically tell us we aren’t working hard enough!

Sickening, the top in there get paid scandalous amounts of money and talk about how bad the homeless crisis is in Ireland, but fail to acknowledge the vast wealth they generate for themselves!

Did you report the assault to the Gardai? I would even do it now, if you have evidence.

This kind of thing will the Tribunal of the future. Hope you are OK.

Thanks,

But I think you may have missed my point. There are no special rules for HAs or anything else including RAS and HAP regarding evicting a tenant. Are there?

Why should a HA or council have special rules outside the pain some private landlords have to endure to evict rogue tenants? That would be very wrong and illegal imv.

Anyway, as you say good vetting is the key. But if it doesn't work out, they have to obey the laws about notice periods, and overholding just like other landlords surely?

I'd love to know how the procedure to evict/give notice/overholding by HA etc. tenants is different to the general law on this.

No matter what vetting goes on, there will always be someone.....

Yeah , I see what you're saying.

From dealing with Housing Authorities , I think their strength is in their vetting and your contract as well as deducting as source.

I've been involved in their vetting and their interviews of potential tenants ,when they are selecting a tenant , the local authority is involved , an estate management check is done involving the Gardai as well as a keyworker.Quite rigorous.

I'm off on a tangent again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Its 2019 . You don't have to pay rent in a council house.

That's not true.
    Back in the 80s there was no difference between tent to the council and repayments on a mortgage

No medical card
    No fuel allowance

They didn’t get to turn down offers of housing

They have a lot of gratitude about how lucky they were to live in such a caring country .

Ireland in the rare oul times

Now you can get a 400k house for free . Where does it all end

That's not true.
    And neither is that.
    If you're happy to throw out this outrage slurry have at it, but you're posting nonsense.

Alternatively we are paying for hotels instead of building houses we own for renting to tax paying workers on low incomes. Grand job.

Did you report the assault to the Gardai? I would even do it now, if you have evidence.

This kind of thing will the Tribunal of the future. Hope you are OK.

McVerry management are notorious for avoiding Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Bad idea... turn down 2 houses and you’re off the tax payers tit and pay your own rent would be far better

McVerry management are notorious for avoiding Gardai.

But that is not the point, it is up to the person assaulted surely to report the crime.

Sounds a bit ominous if what you say is true, but I am making no assumptions.

How could anyone under the Labour Laws (thanks EU) be expected to work and be assaulted on the job?

Employers have a duty of care.

Tribunal of the future, as I said earlier. But it will be up to those assaulted employees to make a complaint. Wonder why nothing has come out so far? Hmm. Gag notice maybe where a settlement was made maybe. I dunno, just surmising.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I suppose when we have over 80 homeless charities in the homelessness industry, you wouldn't consider 3 of them with 5 people earning over €100k to be too many or significant. I would, and I have only dipped my toe into the accounts.

How many homeless charities do we need, and how many of them need to pay people over €100k?

The Irish solution..."charities" fill the holes providing services that the Government should but just haven't got that far yet (and mostly can't afford to now, either). Health services are riddled with the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I looked at 3 charities, I found 5 people earning over €100k.

I am not going to look at the other 77

Well you made the claim, nobody else did.

Or put another way your own research to back up your claim of a "significant number" puts that significant number at roughly 6%.

Which isn't significant by any metric, is it?

We both know you didn't just look at 3 charities. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If I had the education, training, qualifications , experience and skills to be a CEO, I'd expect to be paid a CEO salary.

I'd rather have that than Johhny Ballbag or Joesephine Fannyflap with no experience running a charity for a 15k salary.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If I had the education, training, qualifications , experience and skills to be a CEO, I'd expect to be paid a CEO salary.

I'd rather have that than Johhny Ballbag or Joesephine Fannyflap with no experience running a charity for a 15k salary.

That's fine, but these charities are funded by our taxes by millions of euro of grants, and they still have their hands out for more donations via expensive advertising and chuggers etc..

I am not sure where this is heading really. But anyway my spidey feeling is out there. As I am sure it is with many others too now..

Boggles wrote: »
    Well you made the claim, nobody else did.

Or put another way your own research to back up your claim of a "significant number" puts that significant number at roughly 6%.

Which isn't significant by any metric, is it?

We both know you didn't just look at 3 charities. ;)

Nope, from a sample size of 3, I found 5 people earning over 100k. I was generous and suggested that even if the next seven selected had nobody earning over 100k, that suggested there are around 40 people earning over 100k while working for the homeless industry.

If you produce evidence of eight charities with nobody earning over 100k, then I will have to look again. Until then, I will stick with my significant number.

Don't think there are any nurses earning over 100k so five is significant.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I googled homeless charities and St. Vincent de Paul popped up first strangely. CEO earns over 100k, 10 people earn over 70k.

Where does this end? I would love to have the time to go through the accounts of every charity, but there is a huge industry out there of high-paid people earning huge salaries off the back of government grants to charities. This will end up before a Tribunal some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You'd be amazed at some of the one's being paid to do charity work but they walk around with a halo!

The sad thing is that our Governments of all hues have sub contracted housing and homeless issues to the Charity sector.

That is not unique, there are many other entities that get Government subsidies too, to provide essential services. Look at disabilities for example, and we know how that went. CRC for example. I am sure there are many more out there that we haven't a notion about.

Why these entities require charitable donations I do not know, since they are funded by the taxpayer. But there we are. No one questions it, so on it goes.

I googled homeless charities and St. Vincent de Paul popped up first strangely. CEO earns over 100k, 10 people earn over 70k.

Where does this end? I would love to have the time to go through the accounts of every charity, but there is a huge industry out there of high-paid people earning huge salaries off the back of government grants to charities. This will end up before a Tribunal some day.

I wonder how many people work and volunteer with St Vincent de Paul ?

You'd be amazed at some of the one's being paid to do charity work but they walk around with a halo!

Halo ? I've got angel wings .

The sad thing is that our Governments of all hues have sub contracted housing and homeless issues to the Charity sector.

That is not unique, there are many other entities that get Government subsidies too, to provide essential services. Look at disabilities for example, and we know how that went. CRC for example. I am sure there are many more out there that we haven't a notion about.

Why these entities require charitable donations I do not know, since they are funded by the taxpayer. But there we are. No one questions it, so on it goes.

The state can't or won't supply the services supplied by charities.

Its way too easy to outsource .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

To the people saying that people shouldn't be wary where they take a house you are full of ****e

I know a family who took a house in athy neighbours were out travellers and said my sister is taking that house if you move in god help you

She had no choice and took the house

A month passed no problem

Kids playing on the green and came in crying as traveller kids were hitting them

Two minutes later one of the traveller women arrived at the door she then dragged the woman out onto the green by her hair and beat the ****e out of her

Ended up stamping on her face with a stiletto shoe and tore through her cheek

Tried stabbing her with the stiletto and after all that warned her one word to garda and she would set the house on fire with her family in it

So now that family live in absolute fear

Yes i agree beggars cant be choosers but have some ****ing compassion, they say we are all a few paychecks away from being homeless think if it happened you or someone you care about

Advertisement