Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn down two houses and you're off the list

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭MFPM

mickdw wrote: »
    The homeless campaigners are insisting that people refusing more than one house does not happen other than in a handful of cases. If this is the case, why get so upset about it. Bring it in.

Precisely becaue it's a red herring by the government to try and divert attention from the abysmal failure of their housing policy over the last 5 years....it's up there with Varadkar's dole fraud campaign. Classic tactics by an incompetent government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Old diesel wrote: »
    Housing a family in a hotel could cost 4500 euros a month.

That's 54 k a year - a 200 k house would be paid for in 4 years just by not having to pay 4500 a month to a hotel.

The state should build their own and charge rent

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So we can only quote from songs about housing policy on this thread then? Right so.

We?

Do you mean you?

So we can only quote from songs about housing policy on this thread then? Right so.

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.
    She had so many children she didn't know what to do.
    She gave them some broth without any bread.
    She whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The state should build their own and charge rent

If you are going to built energency accommodation from scratch - you are ALREADY doing work needed to build actual houses.

You might as well just get building the houses while you are at it.

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    If you are going to built energency accommodation from scratch - you are ALREADY doing work needed to build actual houses.

You might as well just get building the houses while you are at it.

Ah you're dead right. How many will be build . 1000 ? 2000 ? 5000 ?

And then in 5 years we build another few thousand.

We keep building thousands . Its so simple

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Boggles wrote: »
    We?

Do you mean you?

The royal we. Its cool, I found another Phil Collins song that's more on topic...

She calls out to the man on the street
    'Sir, can you help me?
    It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep,
    Is there somewhere you can tell me?'
    He walks on, doesn't look back
    He pretends he can't hear her
    Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
    Seems embarrassed to be there
    Oh think twice, it's another day for you and me in paradise
    Oh think twice, 'cause it's just another day for you,
    You and me in paradise, think about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's very easy:

We pay rent for those on low/no income. This rent goes to private landlords/companies.
    We pay for hotels for those needing emergency accommodation. This money goes to hoteliers.
    We pay grants for people buying a home who can't afford the full wedge. This money goes to contractors.
    We pay for new houses off the market to use as social housing. This money goes to contractors.

Why? Because we don't want to build our own, become the landlord and own the stock and rent at profit to those in need at a reasonable rate for all. We don't want to pay for the construction of a house to sell at affordable rates to people for profit at a far price to those eligible.

Why? Because the building industry, vulture funds and Landlord/companies (TD's in some cases) make more money if people are trapped in a market where the tax payer pays through the nose to pick up the slack, with grants, rent aid and hotel bills. And because 'free house' 'forever home' something something idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Why? Because the building industry, vulture funds and Landlord/companies (TD's in some cases) make more money if people are trapped in a market where the tax payer pays through the nose to pick up the slack, with grants, rent aid and hotel bills. And because 'free house' 'forever home' something something idiocy.

I see you also attended the National Evil Patriarchy AGM. Shush though.

What do we want : Houses
    When do we want them: Now
    Where do we want them: Anywhere but near my own house

Even private houses are objected to every time a plan is brought forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

What do we want : Houses
    When do we want them: Now
    Where do we want them: Anywhere but near my own house

Even private houses are objected to every time a plan is brought forward.

Who do we want to pay for them: Someone else :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Welcome to the house of fun

Welcome to the lion's den

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

It's very easy:

We pay rent for those on low/no income. This rent goes to private landlords/companies.
    We pay for hotels for those needing emergency accommodation. This money goes to hoteliers.
    We pay grants for people buying a home who can't afford the full wedge. This money goes to contractors.
    We pay for new houses off the market to use as social housing. This money goes to contractors.

Why? Because we don't want to build our own, become the landlord and own the stock and rent at profit to those in need at a reasonable rate for all. We don't want to pay for the construction of a house to sell at affordable rates to people for profit at a far price to those eligible.

But we are building social houses and we speak which the government charge rent for, stop with the lies.

Maybe not as many as you want but we simply don’t have the money to build 50,000 right now.

We have balanced the books just about.

How many houses do you want built this year and how much would it cost?

People want everything now, unfortunately it doesn’t work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

MFPM wrote: »
    Precisely becaue it's a red herring by the government to try and divert attention from the abysmal failure of their housing policy over the last 5 years....it's up there with Varadkar's dole fraud campaign. Classic tactics by an incompetent government.

Hang on, the recent crackdown on state pension fraud has netted the exchequer €15m. There were thousands of fraudulent claims by married dependents under-declaring their income/savings so that they could pocket up to €218 per week.

€4m of that was people drawing their dead husband/wife's pension!

That's quite a red herring.

Welfare cheats cheat us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Never even got offered one house yet and apparently I've a thousand ahead of me, registered since 2011.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Never even got offered one house yet and apparently I've a thousand ahead of me, registered since 2011.

Register as homeless.

Who do we want to pay for them: Someone else :pac:

I'm someone else! ...oh wait. Rather pay for social and affordable housing than hotels or filling private landlord pockets but hey...
    But we are building social houses and we speak which the government charge rent for, stop with the lies.

Maybe not as many as you want but we simply don’t have the money to build 50,000 right now.

We have balanced the books just about.

How many houses do you want built this year and how much would it cost?

People want everything now, unfortunately it doesn’t work like that.

Calling me a liar, that's terrible stuff now come on. *tear*
    Aaaand then you shoot yourself in the foot. Yes, the point is not enough, I think you knew that but fancied calling me a liar. *tear* *snot bubble*
    Balanced the books? So what? Seriously so f***ing what? Homeless, housing, health crises give over with your Fine Gael spin.
    You tell me? Enough so we are charging people rent in houses we own rather than putting them up in the Gresham?
    'People want everything now' cut your codding ffs.
    Register as homeless.

Try it.

I'm someone else! ...oh wait. Rather pay for social and affordable housing than hotels or filling private landlord pockets but hey...

Calling me a liar, that's terrible stuff now come on. *tear*
    Aaaand then you shoot yourself in the foot. Yes, the point is not enough, I think you knew that but fancied calling me a liar. *tear* *snot bubble*
    Balanced the books? So what? Seriously so f***ing what? Homeless, housing, health crises give over with your Fine Gael spin.
    You tell me? Enough so we are charging people rent in houses we own rather than putting them up in the Gresham?
    'People want everything now' cut your codding ffs.

Try it.

You said we don’t want to build our own, yet we are building our own.

So it wasn’t a lie but misinformation you admit?

You said we don’t want to build our own, yet we are building our own.

So it wasn’t a lie but misinformation you admit?

It's piecemeal. The intent is to enable private entities set up as LA/State supported private rentals. Add to that rent aid and buying brand new houses at market rate to use as social housing.
    I didn't mention we do supply a small number of social housing. We are feeding private profits at the tax payers loss while exacerbating the crisis.

What did you mean by 'People want everything now'? I recall back in 2011/12 being told that these things take time, hotels as a stop gap, no magic wand etc. etc.
    This problem didn't arise yesterday.
    If we've money for hotels, we've money for housing. That simple. We found the money for the hospital over run sure enough.

It's piecemeal. The intent is to enable private entities set up as LA/State supported private rentals. Add to that rent aid and buying brand new houses at market rate to use as social housing.
    I didn't mention we do supply a small number of social housing. We are feeding private profits at the tax payers loss while exacerbating the crisis.

What did you mean by 'People want everything now'? I recall back in 2011/12 being told that these things take time, hotels as a stop gap, no magic wand etc. etc.
    If we've money for hotels, we've money for housing. That simple. We found the money for the hospital over run sure enough.

So you admit you lied when you said we don’t build our own.

That’s ok thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Back in 2011?

There was no housing crisis back then.

There was many thousands of houses lying idle from the crash.

And you accuse the government of lies and spin.

Show me the quote from 2011 where anyone said what you quoted there.

Go on do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

It's in FG's interest to keep the available volume of social housing low to send out the message that the poor will be waiting decades for a roof over their heads. It's also in their interests to get as many people as possible ploughing money into property using the threat of homelessness as a tool to punish those who do not buy or enter the private rental market. After all there are many FG TD's who have financial interests in the property market from the landowner, the landlord to the solicitor who does conveyancing.

So you admit you lied when you said we don’t build our own.

That’s ok thanks for that.

I stand by we don't want to. If that's all you've got son, move along.

Back in 2011?

There was no housing crisis back then.

There was many thousands of houses lying idle from the crash.

And you accuse the government of lies and spin.

Show me the quote from 2011 where anyone said what you quoted there.

Go on do it....

Jesus wept. Play point scoring on your own time.
    When ever funding was sought for anything we were told about no magic money trees etc. When asked to move towards social housing we were told there was no money. In 2011/12 we'd money for a quango and bail outs but not for anything else. Actually, forgive me. I'm letting you off the hook by letting myself get side tracked. Sensible people have been calling for more social housing pre 2011.
    the Department of the Environment show that local authorities built just 75 social housing units during the whole of 2015 – the lowest on the official record, which dates back to 1970.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/snapshot-of-one-county-how-irelands-housing-crisis-grew-out-of-control-2825668-Jun2016/

I stand by my points. The government exacerbates the housing crisis by relying on and funding the profits of the private market. Look at the crisis worsening year on year and record breaking numbers of children homeless ad come back with your 'everyone wants everything now' bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭MFPM

Hang on, the recent crackdown on state pension fraud has netted the exchequer €15m. There were thousands of fraudulent claims by married dependents under-declaring their income/savings so that they could pocket up to €218 per week.

€4m of that was people drawing their dead husband/wife's pension!

That's quite a red herring.

Welfare cheats cheat us all.

I didn't condone 'welfare cheats' I made the point that the issue around two refusals is a tactic by the government to divert attention from their abysmyl failure on housing - you seem comfortable with that fact. Similarly the campaign on welfare by Varadkar was a similar distraction and diversionary tactic.

That said I'll see your 15 million euro (a comparatively low figure) and raise you the billions that big business and corporate interests have gotten away with from Section 110 and the tax reliefs given to Vulture funds, all legal of course and with the good grace of the government....I'm sure your apoplectic about it given your anger over 15 million!!

When ever funding was sought for anything we were told about no magic money trees etc. When asked to move towards social housing we were told there was no money. In 2011/12 we'd money for a quango and bail outs but not for anything else. Actually, forgive me. I'm letting you off the hook by letting myself get side tracked. Sensible people have been calling for more social housing pre 2011.

I stand by my points. The government exacerbates the housing crisis by relying on and funding the profits of the private market. Look at the crisis worsening year on year and record breaking numbers of children homeless ad come back with your 'everyone wants everything now' bollocks.

All the whole while there is people deliberately going homeless to get a free house egged on by people like yourself.

The 10,000 homeless which is quite small in comparison to most EU countries is a myth.

Full of spoofers and chancers.

The truth is 99.9% of the population have a roof over their head.

Yet somehow the 10,000 means we should spend billions building houses for every Tom dick and Harry.

No thanks. I’d rather my taxes be spent on something that will benefit my kids for once, instead of the “most vulnerable” in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

All the whole while there is people deliberately going homeless to get a free house egged on by people like yourself.

Good one :)
    Register as homeless.

That's makey up claptrap. First off there is no such thing as a 'free house'. Secondly, there are so many homeless, likely some chancers, there's still a waiting list. Propagandists like you sell the kipper that it's all chancers and layabouts.
    The 10,000 homeless which is quite small in comparison to most EU countries is a myth.

Full of spoofers and chancers.

Am I feeding you lines? :)
    The truth is 99.9% of the population have a roof over their head.

Yet somehow the 10,000 means we should spend billions building houses for every Tom dick and Harry.

Because.....???
    The housing crisis effects everyone including people working. The homeless crisis numbers rising are a knock on of that.
    No thanks. I’d rather my taxes be spent on something that will benefit my kids for once, instead of the “most vulnerable” in society.

If you trully believe the tripe you spout I'd get on to you pal Leo and tell him to stop all emergency accommodation, rental aid and social housing. Then sit back and watch the country collapse, mind the books will look good after all the saving.

Good one :)

That's makey up claptrap. First off there is no such thing as a 'free house'. Secondly, there are so many homeless, likely some chancers, there's still a waiting list. Propagandists like you sell the kipper that it's all chancers and layabouts.

Am I feeding you lines? :)

Because.....???
    The housing crisis effects everyone including people working. The homeless crisis numbers rising are a knock on of that.

If you trully believe the tripe you spout I'd get on to you pal Leo and tell him to stop all emergency accommodation, rental aid and social housing. Then sit back and watch the country collapse, mind the books will look good after all the saving.

Smiley faces is all you have.

More spin than Leo himself:)

What would I expect from someone who’s username is Leo Varadkars partner.

Obsessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Bluff, guff, bluster and distraction in response in response to the 2011 question.

I remember it well, I emigrated, there were empty gaffs all over the place and we couldn't pay the nurses or teachers never mind build houses.

And I hadn't realised about your username........ that's really really weird.

Advertisement