Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn down two houses and you're off the list

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Extreme examples were people turning down houses because the house they were being offered had a sea view, and this might cause them to be sea sick :) Another one refused a house because the back garden wasn't big enough for a trampolene :) You couldn't make this sh1t up.
    The people who make these kind of ridiculous refusals need to get real & should certainly be kicked down the list.

Links? I suppose there are lunatics in society.

Homelessness is an industry. The so called charities are worried for their jobs.

That's a disgusting attitude.

The only homeless industry is called the housing industry and they make great money on a heated market and if you can't afford the rent or mortgage the government will dip the tax payers pocket to keep prices high and their profits big.

It really is crazy. Picking and choosing a house you get for free . No 30k deposit required. No monthly repayments of over a grand . No Property Tax. Fuel allowance . Medical card

And they still arent happy

Are your parents/parent still in the social house you grew up in?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It really is crazy. Picking and choosing a house you get for free . No 30k deposit required. No monthly repayments of over a grand . No Property Tax. Fuel allowance . Medical card

Were your parents/guardians like that?

Is that were the deep resent is coming from?

The only 'free house' is the Mansion house and I believe the Mayors term is limited.
    People pay rent based on income, or we could put them up in the Gresham, which do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Boggles wrote: »
    Were your parents like that?

Is that were the deep resent is coming from?

Nope. They are grateful for how lucky they were .

Nope. They are grateful for how lucky they were .

Lucky????

The free loading pair of fooks.

Why didn't they get off their collective holes and buy there own house?

Makes me fooking sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Exactly. There is always a reason to be grateful

Generally it's families that are placed in B&B and hotels , often starting off being placed night by night , meaning the following day you have contact your local authority to source a bed each night.
    Think about that if you have kids.

After a while you might get more regular placement in a hotel or B&B.

Hopefully you a placement in a family hubs , paying rent and agreeing to look for private rented on a regular basis.

If you're single , you most likely going down the road of ONO hostels , you're out in the morning and must source accommodation in a night by night basis.

If you're lucky , you might get to avail of an assertive engagement bed where your suitability is assessed for hostel accommodation.

If you hostel accommodation , you get a six month placement where you must pay rent.

You're a long way from the free house .

The only 'free house' is the Mansion house and I believe the Mayors term is limited.
    People pay rent based on income, or we could put them up in the Gresham, which do you think?

Its 2019 . You don't have to pay rent in a council house.

Lucky????

The free loading pair of fooks.

Why didn't they get off their collective holes and buy there own house?

Makes me fooking sick!

Lol they bought a house in the leafy suburbs and are enjoying retirement .

• Advertisement

Generally it's families that are placed in B&B and hotels , often starting off being placed night by night , meaning the following day you have contact your local authority to source a bed each night.
    Think about that if you have kids.

After a while you might get more regular placement in a hotel or B&B.

Hopefully you a placement in a family hubs , paying rent and agreeing to look for private rented on a regular basis.

If you're single , you most likely going down the road of ONO hostels , you're out in the morning and must source accommodation in a night by night basis.

If you're lucky , you might get to avail of an assertive engagement bed where your suitability is assessed for hostel accommodation.

If you hostel accommodation , you get a six month placement where you must pay rent.

You're a long way from the free house .

Yeah so you are better off having kids really.

Yeah so you are better off having kids really.

Definitely , being homeless with kids is a walk in the park .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well then get a job and start saving, so you can buy a house somewhere nicer

that won't necessarily be a guarantee against him having horrible neighbours again given such people exist across all of humanity unfortunately.
    what needs to happen is that the relevant authorities are given the funding resources and man power needed to operate to the full extent so that they can deal with anti-social behaviour and other criminality so that people will be able to feel safe within their homes, an entitlement that exists across the board.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Definitely , being homeless with kids is a walk in the park .

The end justifies the means. Be worth it when they have the keys .

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The end justifies the means. Be worth it when they have the keys .

Every talked to a kid that has lived in a hotel for a few months?

Lol they bought a house in the leafy suburbs and are enjoying retirement .

And what enabled them to do that?

Wouldn't have been social housing would it?

What helped them raise you and "educate" you?

Would have been that social house you grew up in wouldn't it?

And all the other social benefits you indulged in growing up in the social house which made you the well rounded individual you are today?

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I've actually seen babies less than a year in homeless services with their parents on one night only basis bookings .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Not sure how much individuals are being paid but Homeless Charities are big business nowadays.

Approximately €100m a year in grants to those same charities. Add in what's being spent on HAP ( 300m for 2018) and on temporary accommodation in hotels & B&Bs (€103m projected for 2017) and you're into mental sums of money. That's mad. Councils / Local Govt could build a lot of houses with that. Unfortunately it's big business is cashing in on this lack of housing - Landlords, builders, vulture funds etc so there appears to be no interest in Government in solving the situation.

At this stage it's been allowed to slide so far that it's going to take a massive once off cash injection and a huge Council / Local Govt building programme to even get close to catching up.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dozens-irish-homeless-charities-blasted-11432737

This is the meat and bones of it
    Always follow the money

When government could use our money to actually help the worker trying to buy by investing in properties which will see a return to the country.

But why question this madness when we can rip each other to shreds instead.

And what enabled them to do that?

Wouldn't have been social housing would it?

What helped them raise you and "educate" you?

Would have been that social house you grew up in wouldn't it?

And all the other social benefits you indulged in growing up in the social house which made you the well rounded individual you are today?

Back in the 80s there was no difference between tent to the council and repayments on a mortgage

No medical card
    No fuel allowance

They didn’t get to turn down offers of housing

They have a lot of gratitude about how lucky they were to live in such a caring country .

Ireland in the rare oul times

Now you can get a 400k house for free . Where does it all end

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've actually seen babies less than a year in homeless services with their parents on one night only basis bookings .

It was tough enough for me raising my kids in our own house, I can't imagine what is being stripped from the first/months years of babies life being brought up like that.

I know teenagers and a few pre-teens before being homeless and now living in a hotel. The difference in them over the course of a few months/year is night and day. I hate to think what impact this is going to have on them as they continue to grow up until they get settled somewhere.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Why not?

Someone buying a Local Authority house is an absolute fantastic idea, a scheme that should be rolled out and encouraged more.

Yes but not at a discount. Why should they be given 20+% off the market value and at the same time lived for years with rent well below market value.

It reduces the available council housing stock and costs the council money so they can't replace the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Sure you're entitled to a good house aren't you? Why should you take some kip?

No

So do you reckon they are having an awesome time? Because from the way you are posting it seems like you think they are grand.

So do you reckon they are having an awesome time? Because from the way you are posting it seems like you think they are grand.

Could be an awful lot worse for them.

Back in the 80s there was no difference between tent to the council and repayments on a mortgage

Sorry what? No difference between renting and buying? Really?

Do explain.
    No medical card

Introduced in 1970
    No fuel allowance

Put in legislation in 1981, there was always some form of allowance going back to the 30's.

Are you finished embarrassing yourself there Tonto?

Sorry what? No difference between renting and buying? Really?

Do explain.

Introduced in 1970

Put in legislation in 1981, there was always some form of allowance going back to the 30's.

Are you finished embarrassing yourself there Tonto?

So they struck gold. You agree with me its the gravy train ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lackey wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by unpaid rent, sorry.
    A tenant can’t buy their house if they are in rent arrears, and I don’t think that tenant should be responsible for others not paying their rent.
    Apologies if I’m missing your point.

Just because they can afford to buy their council house doesn’t mean they can afford to buy a house privately, and at least the contribution of rent plus reduced cost covers the cost of the tax payer (which the tennant is aswell)

I am against the ‘entitled’ culture as the next person here, and think people taking the piss and being antisocial are serious problems

All this talk from high up leads everyone to look down on the people ‘below’ them ...it’s a great idea really pitting everyone against each other then no one is looking up the ladder at the people making the rules.

When I mentioned unpaid rent I'm talking about the council overall because you mentioned about recouping costs of housing, but as I said my point wasn't really to do with recouping costs. It's targeting the most in need and "deserving". Same as the criteria to get on the list in the first place tries to do.

I know a tenant personally may balance the costs but of course there is always those who don't pay. You say that tenant can't be responsible for others but neither can you or I but unfortunately we all ultimately foot the bill as taxpayers. The fact is the asset is being sold for less that it's currently worth. The taxpayer should be concerned whenever that happens, sure we never hear the end of NAMA sales to vulture funds but that's another kettle of fish.

If they can't afford to buy privately, then I believe they can't afford to buy a house however I suspect many could buy a house but just not where they want, an issue faced by thousands obviously who can't avail of subsidies and so must adjust expectations. The council tenant at least has saved a massive amount by being on subsidised rent for a prolonged period thus allowing them the opportunity to consider home ownership in the first place.

I think most people are fine with social housing, but want it going to those most desperately in need.

• Advertisement

So they struck gold. You agree with me its the gravy train ?

I have feeling you are typing that from the attic of the social house you grew up in.

Have a good one.

Advertisement