Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn down two houses and you're off the list

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

To the people saying that people shouldn't be wary where they take a house you are full of ****e

I know a family who took a house in athy neighbours were out travellers and said my sister is taking that house if you move in god help you

She had no choice and took the house

A month passed no problem

Kids playing on the green and came in crying as traveller kids were hitting them

Two minutes later one of the traveller women arrived at the door she then dragged the woman out onto the green by her hair and beat the ****e out of her

Ended up stamping on her face with a stiletto shoe and tore through her cheek

Tried stabbing her with the stiletto and after all that warned her one word to garda and she would set the house on fire with her family in it

So now that family live in absolute fear

Yes i agree beggars cant be choosers but have some ****ing compassion, they say we are all a few paychecks away from being homeless think if it happened you or someone you care about

Good plot for a Liam Neeson film.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

To the people saying that people shouldn't be wary where they take a house you are full of ****e

I know a family who took a house in athy neighbours were out travellers and said my sister is taking that house if you move in god help you

Kids playing on the green and came in crying as traveller kids were hitting them

Two minutes later one of the traveller women arrived at the door she then dragged the woman out onto the green by her hair and beat the ****e out of her

Tried stabbing her with the stiletto and after all that warned her one word to garda and she would set the house on fire with her family in it

Yes i agree beggars cant be choosers but have some ****ing compassion, they say we are all a few paychecks away from being homeless think if it happened you or someone you care about

What would have happened to her if she refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

What will the council do about the neighbours behaviour??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I wonder how many people work and volunteer with St Vincent de Paul ?

I give my time for free to two local organisations. There is nobody being paid in either case.

I used to donate to charities before but was sickened when I saw how much was being siphoned off. Since then, I now give the equivalent of four evenings a month of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

What would have happened to her if she refused.

Tbh i dont know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

blanch152 wrote: »
    I give my time for free to two local organisations. There is nobody being paid in either case.

I used to donate to charities before but was sickened when I saw how much was being siphoned off. Since then, I now give the equivalent of four evenings a month of my time.

Good for you.

It's pretty impressive that you continue to volunteer despite the fact that clearly feel that most charities are corrupt and inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Good for you.

It's pretty impressive that you continue to volunteer despite the fact that clearly feel that most charities are corrupt and inept.

Local organisations such as schools, sporting clubs, tidy towns, credit unions, etc. are less likely to be corrupt as they are local rather than national and don't offer huge salaries. They also tend to want time rather than money, so you can be sure where your time is going.

Everyone should give something back to society, just a pity that our national charities are mostly not worth it.

Local organisations such as schools, sporting clubs, tidy towns, credit unions, etc. are less likely to be corrupt as they are local rather than national and don't offer huge salaries. They also tend to want time rather than money, so you can be sure where your time is going.

Everyone should give something back to society, just a pity that our national charities are mostly not worth it.

I won't be able to look my team in the eye in the morning ,knowing they're all corrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

This won't be popular but if you can't afford to house yourself & are dependent on the state to do so, having never worked a day in your life, you should be limited to 2 kids max.

Those who contribute to society should be treated differently. No issue with those who fall on hard times but the life style choice scroungers should not be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

What will the council do about the neighbours behaviour??

SFA..... I know of houses being used to run drugs and prostitutes and the dwellers haven’t been kicked out.....council know about it too, others have complained as afraid of what is going on but council too scared they might come and burn down their offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sorry i dont know your situation but the cheek of some people giving out about the time it takes the council to renovate their whole house for free.
    Working people who buy their own house can work for 40 years and never have the money to do it.Sweet.Science "

These two situations are poles apart. What is being criticised is that council houses are lying empty for month after month when folk are in emergency accommodation through no fault of their own// And it is the council 's job as landlord to make a house safe and habitable, after the way some tenants leave the properties

Not renovation; simply basic safety repairs and painting.

These are rented houses not owned by the tenants . Many of us would far rather live in our own house in a poor state then in a rental.
    and as others have said, many council tenants are in work

But according to yourself you moved from uk to here private rented with rent support to council? I don't understand tbh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

McVerry management are notorious for avoiding Gardai.

Back in the day, McVerrys first homeless shelter caused the local residents to be terrorized by the poor waifs and strays he was housing, people being beaten so badly they wound up being carted off in ambulances. His attitude was if the govt found him better accommodation it wouldn't be a problem, basically used the scumbaggery as a bargaining chip.

There's a reason the guys a household name. It's because he always made sure his own name was front and centre. If he was on fire I'd warm me hands off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭holliehobbie

mikep wrote: »
    RasTa why did PMcV think it was a bad idea??

I heard McVerry on the radio saying that a 3 bedroom house might be offered to a family that has 4 or 5 kids and therefore it isn't acceptable.

Of course the reporter didn't think to ask why have the couple in this example had such a large when they can't afford to accommodate the children.
    Why can't the kids double or triple up? Bunk beds?? Landlords have no trouble filling houses with bunk beds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

What did the court say about the vicious assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Once it describes itself as a housing association , it using the landlord tenant wording , it moves away from charity.
    I'd nearly bet it doesn't fundraise at any level.

More and more charities are changing their status to housing association and in some cases building , buying or sourcing property through legacy.

As far as I know , they were never a homeless charity .

Local Authorities do not want the trouble of maintaining large scale developments anymore and are quite happy to let housing associations do it.

I don't doubt your link but in that's what Cluid is now.

https://www.charitiesregulator.ie/en/information-for-the-public/search-the-charities-register/charity-detail?srchstr=Cluid&regid=20029975

Why would a non-charity have a registered charity number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If you think that the only reason that people are turning down houses is because they don't have a large garden or are not next door to Mammy then you're either deluded or buying into the spin that authorities have put out. Those reasons might exist but I'd bet that they're in the region of one in a thousand refusals.

Just saw a Facebook thread on this and people on that were giving EXACTLY those reasons for turning down houses, and were demanding it as their right - to working poor who have far worse accommodation they have to pay through the nose for. Its YOU that is the bigot, you clearly have the luxury of not living in the real world, where the poorest in Ireland are not those on welfare, but the 40% of people just "above" them who pay for everything but get nothing in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You've never been involved in a local organisation, have you? I'd say they are more corrupt, as there are less people to know about it.

They reach charitable status by being independent , non profit making bodies/ trusts providing for vulnerable sections in society.
    The must meet certain criteria and are governed by some act , the must apply for their status and become known as an approved housing agency.

Nothing wrong with them , they do great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

If the property is in good condition let them take what's offered or tell them to clear off and get their own house.

As for McVerry he's just annoying at this stage, criticizing everything and offering no solution.

Mc verry loves the media profile and he is always sure of a soft as putty interview

I find him to be a dangerous demagogue, in an interview with Ray D'Arcy twelve months ago, he said it should be illegal to evict a tenant or reposses a house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Mc verry loves the media profile and he is always sure of a soft as putty interview

I find him to be a dangerous demagogue, in an interview with Ray D'Arcy twelve months ago, he said it should be illegal to evict a tenant or reposses a house

And his smug laugh at people who have the cheek to work and pay for their own house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

They reach charitable status by being independent , non profit making bodies/ trusts providing for vulnerable sections in society.
    The must meet certain criteria and are governed by some act , the must apply for their status and become known as an approved housing agency.

Nothing wrong with them , they do great work.

So it is a charity then?
    Why are you purposely trying to muddy the waters?

From yesterday...
    Cluid is not a homeless charity.
    It's a housing association run like a business.

It provides housing to people nominated by their local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The quicker people accept the housing crisis cant be fixed the quicker homelessness figures will improve

People need to forget about building social houses en masse and concentrate on emergency shelter so we can get people off the streets

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The quicker people accept the housing crisis cant be fixed the quicker homelessness figures will improve

People need to forget about building social houses en masse and concentrate on emergency shelter so we can get people off the streets

Why not do both at the same time with some foresight and future planning also?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

That’s the problem

There are facilities for homeless people on the streets, they either live in hostels or prefer the streets

It’s the forever home brigade that the charities are more interested in these days, who are not homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you produce evidence of eight charities with nobody earning over 100k, then I will have to look again. Until then, I will stick with my significant number.

I didn't make the claim, you did.

Produce your own "evidence".

So far you haven't.
    I give my time for free to two local organisations.

What's the going Salary of a CEO of a credit union? I imagine the remuneration package is quite competitive.

Also

Former credit union employee jailed for two years for theft

Credit union official jailed for theft of over €400,000

That's just in the past 4-5 months.

In light of this new information I guess you will no longer be "volunteering" your time with CU's?

Nonsense aside there is far more in the make up of large charities and not for profits then you and a couple of ould wans shaking a bucket outside Tesco.

The more pertinent question is why are hard core FG supporters all of a sudden going out of their way to demonize Homeless Charities, it wouldn't be because they are openly critical of the government and their abject failure to deal with a housing crisis, would it?

What would be the net effect if all these charities seized to exist in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Why not do both at the same time with some foresight and future planning also?

I genuinely dont think its possible. I feel like we are wasting our time trying to tackle it. No country can get it under control.

So why not just make sure we have nobody dying on our streets.

I know its a bit extreme

So it is a charity then?
    Why are you purposely trying to muddy the waters?

From yesterday...

Ah , I'm not trying to muddy the waters ...
    I have a high opinion of of them.
    I worked for one for a while.

I genuinely dont think its possible. I feel like we are wasting our time trying to tackle it. No country can get it under control.

I know its a bit extreme

I agree, build all these house for the wasters of society then it will be houses for the working people, then houses for the middle class people then houses for the rich

The government builds everyone a free house :)

I know its a bit extreme

I would have always classed someone who says they are homeless as a person that sleeps on the streets but that isn’t the case when it comes to stats.

What’s the criteria to be classed as homeless? Either a rough sleeper or in a B&B? Have I missed anything?

• Advertisement

I would have always classed someone who says they are homeless as a person that sleeps on the streets but that isn’t the case when it comes to stats.

What’s the criteria to be classed as homeless? Either a rough sleeper or in a B&B? Have I missed anything?

Living at home with parents , living in a hub

Advertisement