Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn down two houses and you're off the list

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Witcher wrote: »
    Yes..entitled not to have a petrol bomb put though the window or their door kicked in and their possessions robbed.

Why don't you go now? I think we'd all be better off.

Ah yes petrol bombed. Because that is so regular. And you are more likely to have your possessions robbed in an affluent area.

Want want want . Nothing is ever good enough. When will people accept getting a council house is as close to a lotto win as you will get. Just be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ah yes petrol bombed. Because that is so regular. And you are more likely to have your possessions robbed in an affluent area.

Want want want . Nothing is ever good enough. When will people accept getting a council house is as close to a lotto win as you will get. Just be grateful

You haven't a clue but keep bleating on...empty vessels make the most noise as they say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have you ever talked to anyone who found themselves housed in an area like what is described?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is what you said, that sounds like more than a request. Is largely irrelevant anyway for the reasons I've already listed. Also from that article:

"Local authorities, it emerged, are not allocating the builders’ funds into social and affordable schemes. Now the Department of Environment is warning local authorities that budgets will be cut if they continue to hoard payments from developers."

I've also already posted what I believe social housing should be and should provide and should not provide.

What you believe is pretty irrelevant because it's not based even on an neighbouring planet as actual reality.

But good lad, keep fighting the good fight. Your not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Boggles wrote: »
    What you believe is pretty irrelevant because it's not based even on the same planet as actual reality.

But good lad, keep fighting the good fight. Your not alone.

Thanks lad, I appreciate you've conceded you've nothing to offer and clearly haven't thought things through.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Have you ever talked to anyone who found themselves housed in an area like what is described?

Poor them . Never their fault. They should be grateful to have a free home. There is worse places in the world that a council estate in Ireland. There is also very few council estates left .

The council are buying private houses in more affluent areas and lets not forget new builds.

The only reason houses are being turned down is because people know the 3rd offer will be a new build or a middle class area . Its all a game thats come from entitlement.

And then they peddle would you live there ?

No i wouldnt. Because i will buy my own house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

To me having to accept a house from the housing list in a crap area is akin to how people who buy their own houses buy in Mullingar and Carlow because they can't afford anywhere closer to Dublin. So they have 3 or 4 hours every day in the car, leave home at dawn and back late evening dead tired and worn out. Basically you cut your coat according to your cloth. People who have no resources should feel blessed to be getting a cheap house not refusing it.

(Not saying Mullingar and Carlow are crap places but not where you would ideally want to travel from every day. I'm saving my sympathy for them.)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Poor them . Never their fault. They should be grateful to have a free home. There is worse places in the world that a council estate in Ireland. There is also very few council estates left .

The council are buying private houses in more affluent areas and lets not forget new builds.

The only reason houses are being turned down is because people know the 3rd offer will be a new build or a middle class area . Its all a game thats come from entitlement.

And then they peddle would you live there ?

No i wouldnt. Because i will buy my own house

But have you ever talked to anyone housed in those areas?

I'm not saying that there aren't people abusing the system. But there are those that aren't.

Wheres the incentive to work if you can get a free house in your area of choice if you dont.

No wonder the country is in the gutter

• Advertisement

Thanks lad, I appreciate you've conceded you've nothing to offer and clearly haven't thought things through.

Yeah your right.

Ignorant knuckle dragging begrudgery is certainly the way to fix some of societies problems.

giphy.gif

Thanks for opening my eyes bud.

Wheres the incentive to work if you can get a free house in your area of choice if you dont.

Working people on lower incomes qualify for social housing. It’s not just for those on welfare. Look up the thresholds

But have you ever talked to anyone housed in those areas?

I'm not saying that there aren't people abusing the system. But there are those that aren't.

I was raised in one

Working people on lower incomes qualify for social housing. It’s not just for those on welfare. Look up the thresholds

Its done on a points system . They would be at the very bottom. Not working loads of kids right to the top. What a wonderful incentive this country provides people.

You do realise that you are just not handed keys to a free house?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Quickly went from vague Marxist conspiracy about the government, to an irrelevant and self defeating article from 2011 then to ad hominem.:)

You do realise that you are just not handed keys to a free house?

Aw that line again . Sorry you get one for the cost of trip to the cinema per week

Aw that line again . Sorry you get one for the cost of trip to the cinema per week

No like, to actually get to a point where you are handed a key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

RasTa wrote: »
    Finally.

McVery on the radio now saying he doesn't agree.

But if you turn down two houses now whilst on the social housing list. You're off the list for 5 years.

I was always told that beggars can't be choosers!

It's pay walled.

But I believe under occupation is definitely a thing. Circumstances change, it's a fact, someone dies, someone moves out, etc.

Downsizing or Up-sizing should absolutely be a more fluid process.

• Advertisement

No like, to actually get to a point where you are handed a key

Apply online and then wait . Shocking

Apply online and then wait . Shocking
    No like, your living conditions until you get the key. And what the living conditions can do to ones social life, mental heath, health, etc, etc.

I'm not trying to be a pr*ck here with these questions, but it's not black and white, cut and dry to get a 'free' house as much as the newspaper headlines and pr*k on the high stool at the bar try to convince everyone that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Why should they get a discount to buy a house? If they like the area and want to own a home they should pay full market price, otherwise keep renting from the council.

Not only does it remove a house from the councils housing stock(which a lot of people have issue with to begin with) but it does do so at a loss to the market value.

By the time tennant can buy the house they will have paid a lot of rent, this rent plus the ‘reduced’ price of the house will usually cover the market value.

I know of cases, between previous rent paid plus price of house ment the tennant paid more than market value.

To buy you have to be working. If working the rent will not be as cheap as people think.

Not aimed at you specifically : but people can’t give out about people not bettering their lot themselves, then give out when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

RasTa wrote: »
    Finally.

McVery on the radio now saying he doesn't agree.

But if you turn down two houses now whilst on the social housing list. You're off the list for 5 years.

Same McVery crew that got 14,400,000 from the State last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Lackey wrote: »
    Not aimed at you specifically : but people can’t give out about people not bettering their lot themselves, then give out when they do.

+1

'Pull yourself up by your bootstraps' but if they need help getting the boots...fcuk them

Only the higher middle and high earners can really choose were they live.

The lower middle and lower earners have some choice but are generally forced to choose between sacrificing quality to stay in Dublin or moving to the greater Dublin area.
    The lowest earners come off the worst. Too much money to be a priority on the housing list, too little money to get a mortgage.

Anyone getting offered a free house in the middle of a huge housing crisis has almost hit the jackpot. To refuse it is insane.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

No like, your living conditions until you get the key. And what the living conditions can do to ones social life, mental heath, health, etc, etc.

I'm not trying to be a pr*ck here with these questions, but it's not black and white, cut and dry to get a 'free' house as much as the newspaper headlines and pr*k on the high stool at the bar try to convince everyone that it is.

Were you refused a social house?

I think paying a mortgage for 35 years is worse than a few years in a warm bed hot shower without any rent if you can get a free house at the end of it

Only the higher middle and high earners can really choose were they live.

The lower middle and lower earners have some choice but are generally forced to choose between sacrificing quality to stay in Dublin or moving to the greater Dublin area.
    The lowest earners come off the worst. Too much money to be a priority on the housing list, too little money to get a mortgage.

Anyone getting offered a free house in the middle of a huge housing crisis has almost hit the jackpot. To refuse it is insane.

Unfortunately you speak a lot of sense . It’s not wanted around these parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the potential for a lot more money. the potential to rise through the ranks in whatever industry you work in. those are the incentives to work. if you work you could end up earning a hell of a lot depending on what industry and area of that industry you work in. either way working brings potential for good things. if you are on wellfare, then the amount you get is the amount you get. nothing more nothing less. there are no ranks to rise through. no chances for promotion in anything.
    plenty of working people living in non-free but subsidized housing, and those who don't work but who live in such housing will never have what we will. if someone wants to be housed in a particular area that is ultimately a non-issue, they are unlikely to get it anyway.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement