Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai cricitise paedophile hunters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

They admit to something that is not yet an offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They admit to something that is not yet an offence?

They admit that they were soliciting kids for sex. I don’t give a shiny ****e it that’s currently an offence or not. I’d rather know if there was a nonce in my area than not know.

Can’t believe people are defending nonces in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,040 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They admit that they were soliciting kids for sex. I don’t give a shiny ****e it that’s currently an offence or not. I’d rather know if there was a nonce in my area than not know.

I think it's actually more of a case of the pedohunters being more scummy than the actually pedophiles (which tells you more about the hunters than anything else)

Would be suprised to know it wasn't an offense though. At least in the UK - that guy who used to work for RTE was convicted of something - don't know what the law is in Ireland.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Let me clear this up for you. There are DEFINITELY nonces in your area, perhaps even on the street you live.

There is no "nonce free" area. The ones you see being outed are those who are dumb enough to message strangers. Most paedophiles are raping their own kids or a close family members kids or a close friends kids and not leaving an electronic trace.

This outing business is simply scumbag vigilantism. Ive no problem with a group leading on paedophiles and passing the info along to the relevant authorities but vigilante trial by social media is NOT a good thing.

The law in Ireland is far behind the UK law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

This pitchfork brigade would run like redshanks if any of them were to be charged with incitement to violence. They would no doubt be blaming anyone and everyone in an effort to exonerate themselves.These dangerous clowns have no legitimate remit and, unlike law enforcement officers, are answerable to nobody.

....... wrote: »
    Let me clear this up for you. There are DEFINITELY nonces in your area, perhaps even on the street you live.

There is no "nonce free" area. The ones you see being outed are those who are dumb enough to message strangers. Most paedophiles are raping their own kids or a close family members kids or a close friends kids and not leaving an electronic trace.

This outing business is simply scumbag vigilantism. Ive no problem with a group leading on paedophiles and passing the info along to the relevant authorities but vigilante trial by social media is NOT a good thing.

I'd argue that most pedophiles aren't actually making any sexual advances on children in the first place, they just fantasize - which makes it even more likely that their are pedophiles on most streets.

And I’d rather know who they were. I’d imagine once outed they wouldn’t hang about in the same area.

I think it's actually more of a case of the pedohunters being more scummy than the actually pedophiles (which tells you more about the hunters than anything else)

Would be suprised to know it wasn't an offense though. At least in the UK - that guy who used to work for RTE was convicted of something - don't know what the law is in Ireland.

That says more about you than anything.

And I’d rather know who they were. I’d imagine once outed they wouldn’t hang about in the same area.

What about the ones who are messaging kids to meet but then change their minds when they meet them and dont follow though?

The pedo hunters will have outed them even if they havent done anything wrong.

Or do you want thought crime to be an offence?

• Advertisement

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    This pitchfork brigade would run like redshanks if any of them were to be charged with incitement to violence. They would no doubt be blaming anyone and everyone in an effort to exonerate themselves.These dangerous clowns have no legitimate remit and, unlike law enforcement officers, are answerable to nobody.

The poor poor nonces. Won’t someone think of their feelings. FFS.

What about the ones who are messaging kids to meet but then change their minds when they meet them and dont follow though?

Messaging a kid with sexually explicit words and pictures isn’t a thought crime.

The poor poor nonces. Won’t someone think of their feelings. FFS.

You might not say that if a family member of your made an ill advised mistake.

Messaging a kid with sexually explicit words and pictures isn’t a thought crime.

Except messaging an adult pedo hunter means no actual crime has taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

At the very least, they could just let the police handle the end entrapment part instead of going straight to social media.

Obviously it's an emotive issue and I can see the frustration and am not saying everybody involved doesn't have good intention but it's simply too dodgy to normalize a situation where anybody can appoint themselves as self aggrandizing pedophile hunters with the self proclaimed right to operate across social media.

For every success, there are so many other variables: grudges, false positives, over-entrapment, compromising official operations etc.

You might not say that if a family member of your made an ill advised mistake.

Ill advised mistake. WTF!!

Except messaging an adult pedo hunter means no actual crime has taken place.

The nonce doesn’t know it’s an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Most of the vigilantes hunting pedos are actually pedos themselves.

Fact

At the very least, they could just let the police handle the end entrapment part instead of going straight to social media.

Obviously it's an emotive issue and I can see the frustration and am not saying everybody involved doesn't have good intention but it's simply too dodgy to normalize a situation where anybody can appoint themselves as a self aggrandizing pedophile hunters with the self proclaimed right to operate across social media.

The police can’t do anything due to Ireland’s archaic laws.

Well, unless a crime has been committed, you don't have that right. You have no more a right to demand details about someone else's private secret impulses and thoughts than they do of yours. And something tells me you aren't about the publish said details of your private life and thoughts either.

Oh and for the record: thinking about doing something is not a crime.

Would YOU be willing to share YOUR darkest secrets and impulses with a judgmental community? And don't say you don't have any - because that's what anyone would say.
    That says more about you than anything.

You read into it what you like. There are no saints in this scenario and everyone is acting for their own selfish interests.

Think this would still constitute solicitation in itself. Could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The police can’t do anything due to Ireland’s archaic laws.

Like I said, I'm not wholly unsympathetic and official shortcomings need to be addressed but that doesn't necessarily mean we all appoint ourselves pedo hunters.

Again, it's not so much the occasional success so much as the potential havoc of normalizing effective mob policing.

Well, unless a crime has been committed, you don't have that right. You have no more a right to demand details about someone else's private secret impulses and thoughts than they do of yours. And something tells me you aren't about the publish said details of your private life and thoughts either.

Oh and for the record: thinking about doing something is not a crime.

Would YOU be willing to share YOUR darkest secrets and impulses with a judgmental community? And don't say you don't have any - because that's what anyone would say.

You read into it what you like. There are no saints in this scenario and everyone is acting for their own selfish interests.

Think this would still constitute solicitation in itself. Could be wrong.

So you are a paedo defender. That is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

The Gardai have a legal remit in law enforcement. They are carefully selected and trained for what they do. They have to proceed cautiously. and within legal parameters. This is in the interest of all of us as citizens.Whatever we think about isolated incidents and experiences, this is the law.The burning cross brigade are loose cannons who will probably graduate to some other novelty whim when this one no longer fires their adrenaline. With luck they will not leave too much chaos in their wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

The nonce doesn’t know it’s an adult.

Maybe they do.

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    The Gardai have a legal remit in law enforcement. They are carefully selected and trained for what they do. They have to proceed cautiously. and within legal parameters. This is in the interest of all of us as citizens.Whatever we think about isolated incidents and experiences, this is the law.The burning cross brigade are loose cannons who will probably graduate to some other novelty whim when this one no longer fires their adrenaline. With luck they will not leave too much chaos in their wake.

They aren’t claiming to be law enforcement. They are merely providing awareness of nonces. There is nothing illegal about what they are doing. Fair play to them. Sad that so many in here are defending disgusting paedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

The Gardai may not be making any arrests, but the public are becoming aware of the nonces.

Which is all well and good until they turn up outside Mr weldoninhio's house, no 10 the crescent like they did in the programme the other night, telling all and sundry that Mr weldoninhio is a filthy kiddy fiddler when it's actually Mr weldoninhir who lives in no 10 the avenue that they were really after, but hey think of the kids.

Which is all well and good until they turn up outside Mr weldoninhio's house, no 10 the crescent like they did in the programme the other night, telling all and sundry that Mr weldoninhio is a filthy kiddy fiddler when it's actually Mr weldoninhir who lives in no 10 the avenue that they were really after, but hey think of the kids.

These groups do not turn up to houses. They get the nonces into public places then confront them with the evidence they have, live on Facebook to make sure that nothing untoward goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

These groups do not turn up to houses. They get the nonces into public places then confront them with the evidence they have, live on Facebook to make sure that nothing untoward goes on.

They're doing it live on Facebook so their friends and families can see their heroic and selfless actions. It's being done for social status.

That louise one is going to get done for false imprisonment. Are her security personnel licenced?

• Advertisement

Except for they have already gotten it wrong more than once and people have committed suicide over it.

Advertisement