Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai cricitise paedophile hunters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

That's not really the point. They were clearly playing it up for the cameras, all trying to outdo each other with the tabloidy rhetoric. It seemed as though it was as much about themselves as it was about protecting children.

It's because these people are working class that some find this particular group in Leeds tasteless, lets be honest here.

I say fair play to them. They held a pedophile without causing harm until the authorities arrived. It's all good and well making fun of their regional accent but they did their civic duty and they are to be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Squatter wrote: »
    Morale in AGS has been "at an all time low" ever since I emerged from primary school back in the early 1960's!

It's one of those witless clichés that the Garda Representative Association head honchos regurgitate up every few years at their Annual Conferences to give the security journos a nice headline for their articles next day.

Aside: Didn't some intrepid newspaper reveal that the INMO's Liam Doran had used those very words on no less than 20 occasions during his 25 years in charge of the nurses' union?

I was referring to the Whistle blower debacle and other indiscretions over the last two decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'd much prefer it if this work was left to people trained to do it, not Mary from No 23, fitting a bit of paedophile hunting in between her bingo night and zumba classes.

Yeah you end up with this sort of genius pursuing an innocent man (looking to buy a house) because he bears a vague resemblance to someone else.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/woman-defends-wrongly-identifying-man-as-sex-offender-1.3101998
    A woman who wrongly identified a man as a sex offender in her town – leading him to require Garda protection – has defended her actions.

Last Friday, David Murray, a civil servant from Dublin, was confronted and threatened by a large group of people in Monasterevin, Co Kildare, before gardascorted him out of the town for his own safety.

Mr Murray had been house hunting in Monasterevin that week at the same time that false rumours began to spread online that he was convicted child sex offender Anthony Luckwill. Some locals also shared a picture of Mr Murray claiming it was Luckwill.

A parent who lives in the town spotted Mr Murray on Friday evening and posted to Facebook that she had seen Luckwill.

In response, another poster suggested they “get a few lads down to kick the **** outta him”.

Mr Murray was confronted by a mob shortly afterwards, forcing him to seek refuge in a pub and call garda

An hour later, the parent posted: “Appears the linch (sic) mob have done there job.well done monasterevin. guards have just taken him away.hopefully never to return.”

On Tuesday, the woman told The Irish Times she was “deeply saddened at the outcome of this whole situation” but that it was “better to be safe than sorry”.

However, she said gardahould have told Mr Murray earlier in the week that he was being mistaken for the child abuser. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

“I don’t condone violence of any sort, but personally think this could have been prevented if the gardaad have stepped in sooner,” she said. “I think they should have made Mr Murray aware of what was going on and who people were mistaking him for.”

Mr Murray said he intended to make a criminal complaint to gardabout those who claimed he was Luckwill. He said he was also considering taking defamation proceedings in the civil courts.

The woman said she was not concerned about legal consequences. “I’ve not done anything wrong. I contacted the guards.

“I was very concerned and I just hope Mr Murray can understand that as a concerned parent I was deeply worried for the safety of the kids as I am sure he would have been if the shoe had have been on the other foot.”

According to Andrea Martin, a partner in solicitors’ firm MediaLawyer, Mr Murray may have a strong case for defamation if “he can trace exactly who it was who posted his photograph online and said he was a paedophile”.

“This can involve a court application in itself getting Facebook to disclose who made the posting. And if they don’t have the full details or if a pseudonym was used, the order to disclose made against Facebook may not be much use to the claimant.”

Those who shared Mr Murray’s location and claimed he was Luckwill may also be criminally liable for incitement or conspiracy to commit an offence.

“To incite other people to come together to assault another person would be an offence,” Ms Martin said.

Groups which work with sex offenders and victims of sex crime warned against vigilante justice which only made it harder to monitor offenders.

“This type of behaviour actually drives people underground, so instead of protecting children it’s actually making children more vulnerable,” said the executive director of One in Four, Maeve Lewis.

Joan Cherry, of the Northside Interagency Partnership, which works with youths who have sexually offended, said ostracisation and isolation of sex offenders could make them more likely to reoffend.

“It actually has the opposite effect of what people think. It actually increases people’s risks within their communities.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's because these people are working class that some find this particular group in Leeds tasteless, lets be honest here.

Nothing to do with class at all. It reminded me of this clip from Brass Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

These groups need to be very careful.

A paediatrician in the UK was attacked by a mob a few years ago.

The mob saw a brass plaque that said 'Paediatrician' and misread it.

Like they advertise....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Anyone watching VM1 aka TV3? The hunters are all having a nice circle jerk over on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

AllForIt wrote: »
    So there is a doc on VM1 tonight at 10pm. Irish woman only nonce hunter group apparently. Never heard of them. Might be worth a giggle but an hour is a bit on the long side to be listing to ppl with thick accents from a lower working class background taking about how nobody is doing anything to catch the paedos.

I’m watching it ...don’t think there’s anything to giggle at
    sick fu€s messaging kids graphically

This is what happens when the judiciary and law does very little to protect society...people will take the law into their hands.

To be honest post says more about you than about ‘lower class working background ppl with thick accents’ that you look down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Anyone watching VM1 aka TV3? The hunters are all having a nice circle jerk over on facebook.

They come across as its a power trip for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Better off setting up like chris hanson done and post on youtube/facebook like to catch a predator

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

From what I can see the hunters themselves get a high from doing what they are doing, some instances of the program it was like a female Clint Eastwood out to get her man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Will it really matter if these cases even go to court?

Even if the Nonce Hunters catch these guys and the Gardai arrest them, you'll just have the likes of Suspended Sentence Nolan letting them off with a suspended sentence and/or a fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It could mean the difference between a conviction and an aquittal on a technical reason.

Have you seen the video where they manhandle a suspect and the Gardaí never appear? Good intentions and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭opfleet

The main character in this, "Louise Hunter Grace" is a clown as far as I'm concerned. She is very unprofessional with the paedo and the authorities, clearly thinking she knows it all. Its just cringy to watch. She started off with the water protests and various other issues in the past. This is just her next project. She is clearly craving the attention and wants to be labeled a hero. While she may not use her real name, that does not mean she is not getting a buzz from all the comments on FB from people licking her a***.

As for the hunter group themselves, they have no hope of securing a conviction due to the difference between the UK and Irish law. There is no crime in someone sending a message to an adult impersonating a child. Also there is no guarantee that they are trapping a genuine paedophile. Another example as to why these groups are only craving personal publicity is cause they only focus on child abuse as its the most emotive issue. Why not target other suspected criminals such as burglars/drug pushers as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Was there not a case about 7-8 years ago where a group of pedo hunters ****ed a 5 year long investigation in 22 countries?

They caught one guy and it turned out he was part of a bigger thing. The other users of a site got spooked when he vanished and police had to move quick.

Think they only got 80 or so people out the 400 they were watching in these 22 countries. The rest had gone to ground and it may take years to track them down again or reappear.

They have good intentions but should go to the police and let them catch them. They might be "doing nothing" for a very good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

El_Bee wrote: »
    The problem I have with these groups is when instead of just taking their evidence to the police they make these videos/streams of themselves, comes across more like they're trying to build social capital online and become e-famous rather than actually pursue justice.

What justice is there if irredeemable psychos are let out of jail after a few years?

I don't support this because of the risk that innocent people are misidentified. But the vigilantism problem only arises when the public feel let down by their government and justice system. Ireland desperately needs mandatory minimum sentences for some crimes, because judges just refuse to meaningfully remove dangerous people from society anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Im all for them collecting evidence and handing it over but not for them to be confronting perpetrators, thats dangerous and taking the law into their own hands. What if someone got freaked out and had a knife? Criminals should only be dealt with by police, regardless of the crime

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

One of the things i really didn't like was us versus the guards stance they were taking.

Not a healthy way to do things and sooner or later they are going to break the law and be done themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

From what I heard on the wireless, there no law against intending to rape a child, the law is only broken when the child is actually raped.

WTF?

This is why AGS can do nothing about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Of course the guards are going to have a problem with people not following the correct protocols and thus potentially damaging investigations, causing trial by mob (and thus the possibility of the case being thrown out) and what about the risk of mistaken identity.

Watched this earlier, what a load of scutter. Child is most likely to be abused by someone they know with access to them and most likley while mum is distracted by spending her entire day on facebook and vaping, making it her full time job to hunt out potential peados.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I went to a gardi station to report a known pedophile living not 20 minutes away from a street where he molested a bunch of girls I knew. Did they give a **** ? Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Watched this earlier, what a load of scutter. Child is most likely to be abused by someone they know with access to them and most likley while mum is distracted by spending her entire day on facebook and vaping, making it her full time job to hunt out potential peados.

Plus the mums & dads don't care that their child has open internet access via the smart phone that they bought them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Steve wrote: »
    From what I heard on the wireless, there no law against intending to rape a child, the law is only broken when the child is actually raped.

WTF?

This is why AGS can do nothing about it...

No, it's a little different.
    If there was an actual child involved in the snaring process and then the group intervened, then there can be something done. There does not need to be physical contact with the child.

But in what the group does, there is no real child involved, so there is no law broken.
    That's how I understood it but am open for correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I was referring to the Whistle blower debacle and other indiscretions over the last two decades.

I suppose it all depends on how old you are and how far back you remember things!

But take it from me, from time immemorial, morale in all areas of the public service has always been at "an all time low"! Be they teachers, nurses, soldiers, prison officers, bus drivers, probation officers, Tusla workers, university lecturers, GPs, Hospital Consultants or humble "rank and file civil servants" they've never experienced worse times, have never been more badly treated by the government of the day and have never found it harder to make ends meet!

As it was in the beginning, is now, and forever shall be, world without end, amen!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I went to a gardi station to report a known pedophile living not 20 minutes away from a street where he molested a bunch of girls I knew. Did they give a **** ? Nope

Did you offer them some evidence that they could act on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Did you offer them some evidence that they could act on?

But surely no evidence was required! By having the effrontery to live somewhere, the alleged paedophile was committing a massive crime and AGS should immediately have gone round to his house and beaten the crap out of him - preferably with aluminium baseball bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

What if some of the people who appear to be targeting youngsters for sexual activity are playing some sort of weird attention-seeking game themselves? A few of them who have appeared in videos seem to require psychiatric intervention more than anything else. One man appeared to be revelling in the interaction with the vigilantes! It's very easy to live through a keyboard.But there is real danger in individuals taking the law into their own hands. If these vigilantes are not reined in it will end in disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why don't you have seat right there?

Gardaí are majorly upset with online paedophile hunters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-express-major-concern-over-paedophile-hunting-groups-1.3783959

I wonder what the angle of the Gardaí is? Are they afraid of being exposed as doing f all about nonces online?

I actually agree with the guards here, these guys aren't doing it to protect kids.
    Don't fool yourselves, they are doing it for social media likes and virtue signalling.

They are a bunch of scum themselves.
    scum hunting scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

They could have their own theme song.

"Pae Patrol....Pae Patrol....we'll be there on the double"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

There intent is great ..........but Holy Jesus I can't stand your one in the video's , I don't even know why ,

cos she's a knacker maybe ? doing it to feel better about her crap life?
    It's like prisoners will beat up peadophiles in prisons - yeah cos those murderers and drug dealers are such upstanding moral people.

They know they are **** and just take it out on another form of ****.

Advertisement