Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai cricitise paedophile hunters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The groups are not about pursuing justice. As pointed out any evidence they believe they are providing is moot. It's like those pre-internet, social media days in the 90's with the community marches against the houses of known drug dealers in areas with the rallying message of pressuring the dealers by exposing them, getting their names out there. With these groups it's much the same. Ensnare the pedophile, lure them into a meeting, confront them on video, shout abuse at them, get their names and faces exposed etc. It does nothing to beyond letting people know who the person is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Squatter wrote: »
    But surely no evidence was required! By having the effrontery to live somewhere, the alleged paedophile was committing a massive crime and AGS should immediately have gone round to his house and beaten the crap out of him - preferably with aluminium baseball bats.

I wonder how they expected knocking on that door in the program last night to go? Did they expect him to throw his hands up and say fair cop take me away, or did they expect to be able to direct the Guards to kick his door in and drag him off to the Gulag?

All the while in the real world if he is a paedo he's out the back garden with a lump hammer and a fire barrel making sure to destroy any hard drive, laptop, phone or anything else that migh contain any actual useful evidence.

Its good for fb likes though and that seems to be the opiate of the masses in the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While I applaud their motives vigilante justice has never sat well with me.

This is a very emotive issue and i think it’s dangerous to allow a group of angry emotionally charged untrained civilians go after people. There’s too much scope for things to wrong.

Not only could they seriously compromise the investigation but there is a danger that innocent people could be targeted mistakenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭gluppers

Your wan sounds like a tinker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So, we are supposed to celebrate this, but decry walking up and down looking to set upon by a black bastard to kill them?

• Advertisement

gardai are probably afraid these dopes will get lucky and papers will read

"ranking gardai exposed himself to paedo hunters/child on web chat"

or something...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think it's more about the thrill of the hunt and the virtue signalling. To show your moral superiority while at the same time hunting down someone and a feeling of "importance" to society.

But like why would you be interested in it in the first place is what I want to know. You don't have people who go out setting traps for people to steal cars and then encircling the people who try it with the end result claiming to clean the streets of bad guys. It's all a bit odd, I wouldn't think well of any of the people involved.

"but my daughter..."

uh, the best thing you can do, for the minority who even have a daughter, is to know where she is and be a responsible and upstanding father. Not carrying out what is essentially a witchhunt.

Someone steals a car, someone is without a car for a while and their insurance will cover it. CSA causes a lifetime of horror and issues, for both the child and their family.

baldshin wrote: »
    There are 2 main issues with these groups.

The first is that any evidence they gather is essentially useless in court once they post up a video or live stream of them confronting the subject, as there is no way in hell that person will ever get a fair and unbiased trial, as they have already had their image and accusations against them plastered online.

The second, and more important from a legal perspective, is that most, if not all of the Irish stings I've seen involve members of the group pretending to be kids and actively engaging with the alleged paedophile. In these instances, there is no injured party (ie. child), that the Gardai can prosecute on behalf of. The legislation is different in the UK, where it is an offence to groom a person who you believe to be a child. In Ireland, it must be an actual child. The "hunters" have gotten this very wrong, and have effectively entrapped the person.

No child is harmed, but the public is aware of who is a dirty paedo. Sounds like a perfectly good plan to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Someone steals a car, someone is without a car for a while and their insurance will cover it. CSA causes a lifetime of horror and issues, for both the child and their family.

CSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Silly question now guys. If a man/woman wanted to get back at somebody.
    If they joined various social media platforms posing to be an older man looking for sex off a teenager.
    The people who are these hunters appear to be identifiable because they keep on saying there a teenager. If they aranged to meet the hunter whilst they arranging to meet the person they wanted to get back at.
    Wouldn't the hunters land on with there Facebook live to completely confused man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

CSA?

My guess would be child sexaul abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Squatter wrote: »
    I suppose it all depends on how old you are and how far back you remember things!

But take it from me, from time immemorial, morale in all areas of the public service has always been at "an all time low"! Be they teachers, nurses, soldiers, prison officers, bus drivers, probation officers, Tusla workers, university lecturers, GPs, Hospital Consultants or humble "rank and file civil servants" they've never experienced worse times, have never been more badly treated by the government of the day and have never found it harder to make ends meet!

As it was in the beginning, is now, and forever shall be, world without end, amen!

The only group out of that elite that I have any real sympathy for.

Morale is particularly low in An Garda Síochána, well for those that care. For many members of the force it's still a plum job, especially if you get a nice handy country posting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Any links to them?Seem British ones but is there an Irish one now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There was an incident with a Youtube paedophile hunter in the UK about 5 yrs back.

The nonce in question once confronted drove away and committed suicide.

I want the nonce arrested, jailed and treated for his deviancy in prison, I don't want him dead.

It wouldn't sit easy with me to instigate a man's suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No child is harmed, but the public is aware of who is a dirty paedo. Sounds like a perfectly good plan to me.
    And what if they get the wrong guy? They're not exactly the types who'd think things through carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And what if they get the wrong guy? They're not exactly the types who'd think things through carefully.

they're not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Plus as someone pointed out it could jeopardise ongoing cases.

There's a reason we have a police force and not vigilanties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

cos she's a knacker maybe ? doing it to feel better about her crap life?
    It's like prisoners will beat up peadophiles in prisons - yeah cos those murderers and drug dealers are such upstanding moral people.

They know they are **** and just take it out on another form of ****.
    gluppers wrote: »

There's some amount of snobbery in this thread.

As soon as you lot heard the accents of these people your opinion of them was fixed based on your absolute hatred of everybody of a lower class.

The idea that some of them may be getting some internet likes from this is infinitely worse than the disgusting messages and images grown men were sending to what they believed to be young children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

That don't matter to the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Your one Louise is an awful weapon of a thing. Some of the UK lads are clowns but they're somewhat professional and non-judgemental, whereas Louise just spends 25 minutes saying 'You're vile scum' to some lad with his face pressed against the ground by one of the heavies.

Are her "security" properly licensed by the state?

• Advertisement

There was an incident with a Youtube paedophile hunter in the UK about 5 yrs back.

The nonce in question once confronted drove away and committed suicide.

I want the nonce arrested, jailed and treated for his deviancy in prison, I don't want him dead.

It wouldn't sit easy with me to instigate a man's suicide.

You want the nonce to live in comfort, with other nonces, sharing stories of the stuff they got up to and the fantasies that have/had, medical facilities on tap for free, all paid for by hardworking taxpayers?? I’d rather he be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You want the nonce to live in comfort, with other nonces, sharing stories of the stuff they got up to and the fantasies that have/had, medical facilities on tap for free, all paid for by hardworking taxpayers?? I’d rather he be dead.

I want justice not someone to commit suicide to me that's the cowards way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Hard to decide who's worse. Them or you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Ignorant, mindless rabble-rousers! They need to leave law enforcement to the professionals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Or if they disturb an investigation into a paedophile ring by spooking suspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Vic_08 wrote: »
    There's some amount of snobbery in this thread.

As soon as you lot heard the accents of these people your opinion of them was fixed based on your absolute hatred of everybody of a lower class.
    It's only you who mentioned class and the term "lower class".

This sort of stuff appeals to scumbags (don't care what their class background is) because they get to be violent and let their knee-jerk emotions trump all.

As Hector Savage said, it makes some folk feel better about themselves to take the moral high ground, particularly when it comes to child abuse - the most reviled crime of all.

An extreme example is these two pieces of ****: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-18808886

Like they gave the slightest hoot about the girl who was raped. One of them was convicted of murder ffs.

The guy convicted of raping a minor was a piece of sh1t too but what those two guys did was just to fulfill their own fantasies and give themselves some glory. They got it too - loads of idiots praised them, even though one of them had broken into an old folks' home and battered two ladies to death. :rolleyes:

Scum.
    The idea that some of them may be getting some internet likes from this is infinitely worse than the disgusting messages and images grown men were sending to what they believed to be young children.
    I presume you mean "better"? I agree but that doesn't change that some of them are doing it to be violent.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Hard to decide who's worse. Them or you ?
    To be fair, give me death wishes on the internet before child abuse any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

So I just typed in "CPA Ireland" and the first thing I see is a 45 minute long video of one guy. They think we're going to watch for 45 minutes for one sting... 45 seconds maybe, but minutes lol?

People would have followed that live. That is what they live for. The likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AllForIt wrote: »
    So there is a doc on VM1 tonight at 10pm. Irish woman only nonce hunter group apparently. Never heard of them. Might be worth a giggle but an hour is a bit on the long side to be listing to ppl with thick accents from a lower working class background taking about how nobody is doing anything to catch the paedos.
    Lackey wrote: »
    I’m watching it ...don’t think there’s anything to giggle at
    sick fu€s messaging kids graphically

This is what happens when the judiciary and law does very little to protect society...people will take the law into their hands.

To be honest post says more about you than about ‘lower class working background ppl with thick accents’ that you look down on.

I don't normally reply to ppl who make personal remarks about myself but I will make an exception this time. Also because I don't think you understood my point which is forgivable because of the way I worded it. So let me clarify where I'm coming from.

I made my remarks before the doc was broadcast. Here is a random remark about the class of the woman in the doc after it was broadcast.
    gluppers wrote: »

So I predicted that this hunter group would be of a lower working class demographic - as these vigilantes all appear to be without much exception. That was my point, not to disparage the whole of the lower classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I see in Norn Iron that some of the self styled paedo hunters have been found guilty and sentenced to harassment of a reporter up here (for the bbc I think)

So it’s easy to catch and convict people trying to out predators but a lot harder to convict nonces. Sort of figures in our society nowadays.

I’m not even saying that some of the hunter guys weren’t pricks or their methods debatable. However I really have zero sympathy for those that try to exploit underage children. Zero.

A lot of the people they outed would never he been known until those guys did what they did. One of the guys exposed was a kids private music tutor ffs. How wld you feel if this piece of **** had been alone with your wean?

Advertisement