Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Ah, where you been man? That's what you get when you've a PHEV:p
    Charging came in August 10th'ish

At least he wasn't using one of Kramers dodgy cables :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭McGiver

Are we going to discuss each 50/150 kW new charger here? :cool:
    Other countries on the continent have hundreds of them. They'd be up for a very long thread if they should discuss every new DC there.

That's how the situation is dire here that we need to celebrate and discuss every single new DC charger, that's how slowly they are being added. If there was no Ionity spurt last this last/year there'd be very few DC connectors added.

Outside of the Pale, M4, M6, M7 and M8 it's really abysmal situation with regards the DC. AC is OKish.

Btw in Czechia, it seems that Tesla Superchargers go into generic hubs where the other local networks also chip in with their DC or UFC. All three supercharger locations in CZ have several other changers too.

Examples:
    Supercharger-CZ.png
    8x supercharger, 3x triple head DC

Supercharger-CZ2.png
    6x supercharger, 4x 150 kW DC, 1x triple head DC, 1x 22kW AC

Looks like eCars have some chargers near two Tesla superchargers here but not exactly like this. And of course no hubs :)

Seems like a lot of sense to me if Tesla & local DC networks agreed and put it in the same compound rather then trying to do it separately, separate digging etc.

At least he wasn't using one of Kramers dodgy cables :D

He should start selling those. Genuinely exclusively designed for Irish AC charger market (it wouldn't help ya in Europe with per min pricing :P).

We should harass Elon on twitter to get V3 superchargers, tell him the longer we wait the less chance of buying a model 3 lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We should harass Elon on twitter to get V3 superchargers, tell him the longer we wait the less chance of buying a model 3 lol.
    At this stage I'd take some V1 sites, we just need more supercharger sites!

I think it's time to hit twitter all the same, Elon might remember Ireland exists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

AFAIK it's just the P model that can utilise the max charging rate

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

3 live super charger stations, that's really pathetic isn't it ?

I don't even see any planned on the map either, all 150 kw, have any been CCS retrofitted ?

When you look at the map of Europe, there's clearly something wrong in Ireland, perhaps they gave up due to the cost of installation or planning or maybe ESB issues ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't even see any planned on the map either, all 150 kw, have any been CCS retrofitted ?

The planned ones are there alright;

526305.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ireland will always be at a disadvantage in this kind of privately built infrastructure due to the fact that we're an island with a small population.

Basically every other country in 'western' Europe (aside from Luxembourg) can boast larger populations AND being part of a continent-wide network of consumers.

Even as an island, we have a very low population, but I think it's the geographic isolation which really kills us. Combine it with a relatively low number of EVs per capita and we're just not a profitable investment for most (even for loss-leading infrastructure builders like Tesla).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think if we get all the planned and one more around Sligo then that's our lot

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Bit of a joke already and still the M9 suffers.

Bit of a joke already and still the M9 suffers.
    Problem with the M9 is that it doesnt go anywhere super important (like Galway, Cork, Belfast, Limerick) and thus is suffering the same fate as the north west

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

McGiver wrote: »
    He should start selling those. Genuinely exclusively designed for Irish AC charger market (it wouldn't help ya in Europe with per min pricing :P).

What are ye on about?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What are ye on about?

Allegedly kramer downrated the AC cable to make the car charge slower, that way you can take advantage of the free parking whilst charging for longer.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

liamog wrote: »
    Allegedly kramer downrated the AC cable to make the car charge slower, that way you can take advantage of the free parking whilst charging for longer.

Ah, I just tune it down in the car. Lowest rate is around 16amp though, so about 70c an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

The planned ones are there alright;

526305.png

where did yu get access to this map?

What location is the one in Galway?

In a Tesla with a single phase cable you can charge at 5a single phase or 1.2kW

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

obi604 wrote: »
    where did yu get access to this map?

What location is the one in Galway?

Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Athenry.

ah ok, and is this for the 150kw station?

obi604 wrote: »
    ah ok, and is this for the 150kw station?
    No it's a Tesla map, with an approximate location for the coming soon (some since 2016) next tesla supercharger sites

ELM327 wrote: »
    Problem with the M9 is that it doesnt go anywhere super important (like Galway, Cork, Belfast, Limerick) and thus is suffering the same fate as the north west

Or lack of motorway service stations I'd say more than anything.

Waterford is at the end of the M9 just as important as anywhere else really.

The North West doesn't even have a Motorway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

liamog wrote: »

I'm trying to patent it actually - it'll be known as the "Kramer Type™ Cable".
    Not just free parking, but free prime parking :D.
    Ah, I just tune it down in the car. Lowest rate is around 16amp though, so about 70c an hour.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    In a Tesla with a single phase cable you can charge at 5a single phase or 1.2kW

As Bjorn would say............ahh sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Looks like I won't be marketing to Hyundai Ioniq or Tesla owners so :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭innrain

I think the introduction of charges on the AC generates a migration to the DC.
    Screenshot of CCS chargers Saturday evening
    526335.jpg

In Dublin City Center doesn't make any sense to use the few AC charges and pay the parking fee; works out something like 69 cents per kWh, charging @7kW. Cheaper on Ionity with chargepoint. In the light of these Tesco chargers make sense if you have one within walking distance.

innrain wrote: »

In Dublin City Center doesn't make any sense to use the few AC charges and pay the parking fee; works out something like 69 cents per kWh, charging @7kW. Cheaper on Ionity with chargepoint. In the light of these Tesco chargers make sense if you have one within walking distance.

Anyone who needs a charge will be glad to pay. If they're in the city they have to pay for parking anyway.

innrain wrote: »
    In Dublin City Center doesn't make any sense to use the few AC charges and pay the parking fee

Do you have to pay to park while charging on AC in Dublin?

If that's the case & I lose the Dublin market for my patented free parking cables, I'll have to reevaluate my strategy.

Dublin will be likely locked down soon anyway - cases all over the gaff :D.

Anyone who needs a charge will be glad to pay.

Or they could forgo problematic & expensive public charging in favour of cheap night rate at home (7c/kWh), if they had a range extender (PHEV), or a bigger battery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The North West doesn't even have a Motorway :D

Only have a few dual carriageways....

Advertisement