Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

Kramer wrote: »
    Do you have to pay to park while charging on AC in Dublin?

If that's the case & I lose the Dublin market for my patented free parking cables, I'll have to reevaluate my strategy.

Dublin will be likely locked down soon anyway - cases all over the gaff :D.
    Not only you have to pay but they've designed the zones by color in a way to trick you.

Yellow zone is more expensive (€3.2/h) than the red zone (€2.7/h). Then there is green (€1,6/h) and orange is the cheapest (€1/h). Who designed these was probably color blind and chose them random. Well DLR is different so you can still market the cable to the Dubliners. But you should use a variable resistor as we are very fussy.

Or they could forgo problematic & expensive public charging in favour of cheap night rate at home (7c/kWh), if they had a range extender (PHEV), or a bigger battery.

Well that's the idea, charge if you need to. I used the Rex today for a good while, still cheaper on ESB fast chargers and AC so if I can avail of it I will if convenient but today it wasn't and I don't mind paying for convenience and the ability to put the boot down, having the reassurance there all the time is really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Do you have to pay to park while charging on AC in Dublin?

If that's the case & I lose the Dublin market for my patented free parking cables, I'll have to reevaluate my strategy.

Dublin will be likely locked down soon anyway - cases all over the gaff :D.

Yeah Dublin city still charges for parking when charging. Apparently they got a bit annoyed at the ESB because the ESB put in the chargers and said they were free without consulting the council. Not sure how much truth there is in that but it's a pretty good example of how dysfunctional public charging is here

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

innrain wrote: »
    In Dublin City Center doesn't make any sense to use the few AC charges and pay the parking fee.

It does for people with parking permits.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fanfare being made today because Nissan have produced their 500,000th Leaf, with up to 5,400 on Irish roads.

Are there figures available for the total number of CCS cars there are on Irish roads?
    Theres at least 500 Model 3's by now, so what about the other CCS cars (Kona, Ioniq eNiro plus all others), anyone have an educated guess on how many CCS cars in total we have? Because if it's 5,400, then fair enough with ESB installing at a 50/50 split between Chademo & CCS....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Fanfare being made today because Nissan have produced their 500,000th Leaf, with up to 5,400 on Irish roads.

Are there figures available for the total number of CCS cars there are on Irish roads?
    Theres at least 500 Model 3's by now, so what about the other CCS cars (Kona, Ioniq eNiro plus all others), anyone have an educated guess on how many CCS cars in total we have? Because if it's 5,400, then fair enough with ESB installing at a 50/50 split between Chademo & CCS....

There's another thread which looks at the breakdown between the standards in more detail: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058038671

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's weird as they sold that 500,000th Leaf in Norway a few weeks back, our mate Bjorn was there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nice job that 1 side is red already. I didn't check when I spotted it, but that's pretty laughable.

Re: Dingle. 2 weeks into the replacement charge point and they still haven't fixed it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Neworder79 wrote: »

There's 2 of the high powered stations now isn't there? Not defending the appalling rollout, but be nice if the facts were correct. It weakens her argument.

• Advertisement

There's 2 of the high powered stations now isn't there? Not defending the appalling rollout, but be nice if the facts were correct. It weakens her argument.

3 now isn't it? Kilcullen, Galway Plaza, Portlaoise Plaza?

Still beyond ridiculous how slow it's happening though....
    Progress to date

Over 50 x 3-8 vehicle charging hubs

A number of charging hubs have already been deployed and can be found - between junction 2 and 3, Kilcullen, Co Kildare (M9), - Galway Plaza, Junction 6, Kiltullagh, Co Galway (M6) and - Portlaoise Plaza, junction 17, Portlaoise (M7/8). The charging configuration at these locations are 1x50kW and 1x150kW and capable of charging up to 3 vehicles simultaneously.

Further hub locations which are planned include:

• Kells, Co. Meath
    • Monasterevin, Co Kildare
    • Ballinalack, Co Westmeath (N4)
    • Carrick on Shannon, Co Leitrim
    • Lahey, Co Donegal

ESB is continuing to assess other suitable sites on motorways and national road networks, with the aim of delivering over fifty high power (50-150kW) charging hubs. These hubs can provide up to 100km of driving range in as little as six minutes. Final sites are based on a range of factors including current charge point usage, traffic volume, accessibility, amenities and grid capacity. More site locations will be announced in the coming months. The project will run until 2023.

https://esb.ie/ecars/our-network/high-power-charging-hubs

So at least it's clear now their definition of a hub is 3 cars charging simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There are no hubs yet.

You gotta love whoever proof reads their website!!
    Below are come pictures of the fast chargers located in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary and Drogheda, Co. Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anna needs to improve her english.

Thread title needs updating...

eCars expansion 2019-2023

You've more confidence in the ESB than I do :)

3 now isn't it? Kilcullen, Galway Plaza, Portlaoise Plaza?

Still beyond ridiculous how slow it's happening though....

https://esb.ie/ecars/our-network/high-power-charging-hubs

So at least it's clear now their definition of a hub is 3 cars charging simultaneously.

By that logic they might as well install 100x 2kW outlets and they can say they've a 100 car charging hub :rolleyes:

Typical warping of the facts from the ESB

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's inline with original announcement on the first page
    six high speed charging hubs on motorways capable of charging eight vehicles simultaneously; 16 high speed charging hubs capable of charging four vehicles simultaneously; additional high power chargers at 34 current 50 kW locations;

Probably the first time we've seen the additional hpc's for the 34 described as a hub though, it's disappointing.

It's a disaster control of the Network was given to the ESB this should be challenged as they have proved they are not capable.

All future hubs should be 150 Kw+ no more 50 Kw.... and should have at least 4 chargers per site.

Interesting. It might be nice to put a pin in this thread or get a snapshot from Jan 2020 and see how things progress (or not) year on year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

You gotta love whoever proof reads their website!!
    While this can be overlooked as typo (not nice but happens), something like

"These hubs can provide up to 100km of driving range in as little as six minutes."
    or
    "Final sites are based on a range of factors including current charge point usage..."
    show if nothing else haste. Hubs don't charge and locations of final sites will be decided based on ...
    The ultimate is

"A number of charging hubs have already been deployed"

This number is so high and changing so fast that the author didn't want to be caught in publishing the wrong figure, hence decided it will beneficial for the reader not to know it. (although they are listed in the next paragraph).

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

I seen the Kells 150Kw is installed in the new Circle K called Park RI probably new service station will be open in October

zoom_cool wrote: »
    I seen the Kells 150Kw is installed in the new Circle K called Park RI probably new service station will be open in October

Is that a motorway services? or is it within Kells?

edit, I see it now, i's slightly off the end of the motorway!!, not the best place for a Motorway Services!! but still, better than nothing on that route...

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Park+R%C3%AD+-Destination+Stop+%26+Food+Court/@53.7224556,-6.9075257,5183m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x486757bebbb3079b:0xb0830b398b567434!2sALDI!8m2!3d53.7311266!4d-6.8898473!3m4!1s0x48675772fb3d2ca9:0x9283f08d37093820!8m2!3d53.7310693!4d-6.888934

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

zoom_cool wrote: »

Is there a charger installed there now and not operational? I added site to plugshare as "coming soon" , but we know esb definition of hub and soon are flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where are the 150kw chargers located?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Where are the 150kw chargers located?

Kilcullen - M9
    Galway Plaza - M6
    Portlaoise Plaza - M7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pulled into the Galway Plaza today on the way home from a few days out and about, was going to go for the 150 if that was available or then the 50, 50 occupied and the 150 ICEd, fek it anyhow, as it turns out I had enough to get home.
    Still, no point having these charge points if ICEd, clearer notice needs to be provided to ICE cars to tell them parking there is illegal...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Pulled into the Galway Plaza today on the way home from a few days out and about, was going to go for the 150 if that was available or then the 50, 50 occupied and the 150 ICEd, fek it anyhow, as it turns out I had enough to get home.
    Still, no point having these charge points if ICEd, clearer notice needs to be provided to ICE cars to tell them parking there is illegal...

I think some sort of orbital railgun is the best solution here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I think some sort of orbital railgun is the best solution here :D

A noise activated barrier. Anything coming in rattling and clattering and a post comes out of the ground blocking the way. Nice quiet EVs will whisper over it. :D

• Advertisement

As soon as reported ICE’d, immediate tow away/lifted, and a fee of €150 to release the car...

Advertisement