Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

96% availability because they are not being recorded out of use because no-one using them to report them broken I'd say.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    96% availability because they are not being recorded out of use because no-one using them to report them broken I'd say.

Reporting as broken is not broken to ECars. I believe a unit is deemed to be broken when an engineer says so, which could be days before they come out to check it.

Take that unit for example. Comments on plugshare suggest it was marked as available on esb app:

https://www.plugshare.com/location/35106

8th Sept
    Disaster, displayed available on the ESB App but would not function, dispute numerous remote resets no success,
    Phone support stated they need a technician to attend but could tell me when they would arrive
    I had to drive to Tralee the nearest alternative to avail off a charger a full day wasted on our short break,
    ESB networks need to get their act together

Reports of it being out of action started on the 6th, and my best guess is it was never "unavailable" until the day it was being replaced. Guts of a week, but in ESBs eyes that's zero downtime.

On a different note, Bailieborough is "unavailable" at the moment, so that's likely getting upgrade to an eVolve Smart T today.

I just got sick of reporting broken AC points, anecdotal rate of 50:50 in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

Marina Car Park, Off Strand Street, Dingle, Kerry AC unit got an upgrade. It was one of those crappy EBG - Highline BM FA (the original units with the sliding ports on the side, it's now a one of the new eVolve Smart T. Think they've proved much more reliable. Seems a few on plugshare have been venting about it. Caught a few out it seems. But ya know... 96% availability and all that BS

One side is red now. What is the y axis numbers on this charger? It seems they have reset the usage from before

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    One side is red now. What is the y axis numbers on this charger? It seems they have reset the usage from before

It's a new charger ID, so all its peak usage times have been reset. The Y axis is nothing useful as far as I know. It'll just show peak usage, but that peak could mean 10 minutes in that hour at one charger and 60 minutes of the hour at another charger.

Nice job that 1 side is red already. I didn't check when I spotted it, but that's pretty laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I didn't check when I spotted it, but that's pretty laughable.

Ionity looked great initially, installed proper hubs, no messing about.
    Then they priced them to make them useless for all but those really stuck.

Tesla - great. Fantastic hubs. All 3 of them!
    Promised more for years now, tumbleweed since.

eCars - busy putting AC points into Tescos, no hubs, no additional DC chargers on national routes/motorways, charge for everything now.

It's almost as shambolic as our current government :rolleyes:.

Thank God longer range cars are now available - bring back Mad_Lad's REx :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

The 2 150 Kw units went in in late 2019 wow, mega charging upgrades.

Wonder when will they start charging for these.

Days/weeks/months?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The free period on the 150kW is probably allowing eCars to test against a larger set of cars. At the very least they should up the cost to the same as the 50kW chargers so they can get a more representative set of numbers.

In response to your post on the sticky thread (removed because it's a no chat thread I guess), the tesco charge points do actually seem to get use. Not much, but some, so at least they're not utterly useless. Wouldn't be my first choice, but then again it's so rare that I use the public network. Most likely i'd use the public network on tourist hotspots, but Ecars seem allergic to adding charge points there.

• Advertisement

In response to your post on the sticky thread (removed because it's a no chat thread I guess)

Pity it wasn't moved here - in my haste to add my rant, I didn't realise it was a no chat thread :cool:.

Anyway, here it is:
    Tesco naas and Tesco Mullingar are both online now.

Appreciate the updates but isn't it just crazy!

ECars are exercised installing next to useless, AC charge points, in supermarket car parks.
    NO DC fast chargers, NO extra motorway or national route chargers, NO hubs.

These "green washing" AC22s are useless to all but people (flat dwellers, those in rented houses), living near these Tescos, without their own driveways or home charging. Probably a fraction of a % of EV owners who have to pay 4x night rate electricity prices to park up in their Tesco for likely 6 or 7 hours (@ 7kW).

It's beyond crazy, it really is :mad:.

I've no issue with Lidl/EasyGo etc. - it's a bonus for their customers, they are paying for it & it's free.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Kramer wrote: »
    Pity it wasn't moved here - in my haste to add my rant, I didn't realise it was a no chat thread :cool:.

I used to move them, but it seems people weren't getting the hint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

In response to your post on the sticky thread (removed because it's a no chat thread I guess), the tesco charge points do actually seem to get use. Not much, but some, so at least they're not utterly useless. Wouldn't be my first choice, but then again it's so rare that I use the public network. Most likely i'd use the public network on tourist hotspots, but Ecars seem allergic to adding charge points there.

All of our eCars AC charging has been at touristy spots. Great for a few hours hiking, swimming etc. when miles away from nearest DC unit.

At some point Local Authorities or a Bord Failte type group need to really get the finger out and proactively install more charge points in places they want to attract tourist money. Hassle eCars into it or stump up cash to get it done. Tesco/eCars have come to some arrangement so it can be done.

liamog wrote: »
    I used to move them, but it seems people weren't getting the hint :D

You should try a sticky thread - they usually grab people's attention :pac:.

Anyway, just off to Tesco for a quick charge - I'll be back online in 4 hours (when charged) - sooner if Tesco have WiFi.

:D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Reporting as broken is not broken to ECars. I believe a unit is deemed to be broken when an engineer says so, which could be days before they come out to check it.

Does pulling the e stop mark them as being "offline" or uncontactable, grey on the map?

For instance a charger that won't work even after restarts, pull the estop..

graememk wrote: »
    Does pulling the e stop mark them as being "offline" or uncontactable, grey on the map?

Dunno, but it's not going to get them fixed any faster. Ecars need to up their game there. If a unit is just stopped and an engineer pulls up to start it back up, they'll just do that and walk away. Very unlikely to try use the unit itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

graememk wrote: »

The AC ones don't have E-Stop.

Last week at the DC in Stillorgan the screen was frozen on "checking the card" so I called ecars. They couldn't do anything, was offline on the app too so I asked: can I press E-stop. He said "It won't help as it will not reset the communication". I did it anyway but it turned out he was right as the screen was unchanged.

obi604 wrote: »
    Wonder when will they start charging for these.

Days/weeks/months?

No Idea, hopefully soon to keep People away that abandon their cars.

Kramer wrote: »

Anyway, here it is:

Appreciate the updates but isn't it just crazy!

ECars are exercised installing next to useless, AC charge points, in supermarket car parks.
    NO DC fast chargers, NO extra motorway or national route chargers, NO hubs.

These "green washing" AC22s are useless to all but people (flat dwellers, those in rented houses), living near these Tescos, without their own driveways or home charging. Probably a fraction of a % of EV owners who have to pay 4x night rate electricity prices to park up in their Tesco for likely 6 or 7 hours (@ 7kW).

It's beyond crazy, it really is :mad:.

I've no issue with Lidl/EasyGo etc. - it's a bonus for their customers, they are paying for it & it's free.

It is frustrating, really it is, since 2015 I had hoped for a much better network, it has improved at a snails pace, but there is no Political drive to improve it only words but no actual laws or legislation, but lets talk about reducing the motorway speeds to 80 Km/hr first lol.

AC is great really practical and yes, for apartments owners, People renting they can get a couple of days worth of driving from a charge while they're shopping depending on the power of the charger and the kms they drive, can't have enough of them and cars are getting faster AC chargers which will hopefully be more powerful sooner rather than later to make better use of this infrastructure.

There is not even a hint of making charging a legal right for apartment owners, renters etc.

The Government can do a lot of talk but that's all they're good for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

As nobody responded to me :)

Where are the new chargers? When? How many?

Didn't the taxpayer pay for this "project"?

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    As nobody responded to me :)

Not sure I follow what you're referring to?

Anyway, back to topic of eCars expansion - where is the actual expansion? :confused:

Check out your nearest Tesco - they might have had something installed by ECars :).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058084741&page=2

Tesco - every little helps :).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesco naas and Tesco Mullingar are both online now.

Is that in addition to the 50kW (So 2*22kW +1*3*50kW ?)

When did the ESB start charging for using AC points ?

I got charged 60 something cent after using the parkwest AC last Friday/

ELM327 wrote: »
    Is that in addition to the 50kW (So 2*22kW +1*3*50kW ?)

Yes. 50kW still exists. 22kW is new

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Monday August 10th.

And they sent plenty of emails prior to this date informing of the impending charges for AC

• Registered Users Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Last month I think

Ah, where you been man? That's what you get when you've a PHEV:p
    Charging came in August 10th'ish

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Ah, where you been man? That's what you get when you've a PHEV:p
    Charging came in August 10th'ish

Lol, I just hadn't needed to use an AC charger in ages, I had wondered why there had been no cars plugged in there for the last good few times I passed by :D
    I had expected a bit cheaper than 23 cent per Kwh but at least it might make the charge points more available, I bet usage has nosedived ?

Advertisement