Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Leroy42 wrote: »
    A 2nd ref for what? Who would actually campaign for remain at this point?

There is a March on 23rd for a people's vote. Those people are much more qualified to campaign than the pathetic remain campaign in the 1st referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Remainers probably would campaign for it.

Beth Rigby telling Mark Francois that for Brexiteers voting for the WA is now the lesser of 2 evils. Has TMs deal still a chance as the arithmetic is there if the ERG and DUP blink?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Ken Clarke calls ERG "the right wing English nationalist party".
    So yes, a lot of sense.

Last night Clarke said on Newsnight that the ERG was to all intents and purposes a separate party with Mogg as leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

They can only request one from the 27.

Thats the point I am making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Havockk wrote: »
    Given the state of British politics and society at the present time I am terrified that the potential for leave to win a 2nd ref is high. No one can know how dirty they could get or if the remain side would be as useless as last time. Where would that leave the situation? Hardly bears thinking about.

Whats there to be scared of? They either stay or they leave on Mays deal. Those are the options we have today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Synode wrote: »
    I can't see the EU giving an extension for anything else

If the he WA miraculously is voted for it would be granted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Akrasia wrote: »
    Whats there to be scared of? They either stay or they leave on Mays deal. Those are the options we have today

Well right now, there are lifelines, safety nets so to speak. If a 2nd ref was to vote leave, it's game over.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Deputy Chair of the ERG Mark Francois on Sky now making a case that politics is broken when people don't obey the whip, clearly he doesn't believe in democracy, which is quite ironic since he's been saying that is the reason Brexit needs to happen but now he wants to prevent people from having a democratic right to vote the way they want.

Says also that he won't back TM's deal because he considers it as staying in the European Union and that is not acceptable to him and that it only passed by 4 votes for the amendment and as such it isn't really a ringing endorsement.

Was challenged about losing and said that he was in the army so he never accepts losing which was a little amusing, comes across very smug that someone didn't vote the way he wanted so it's not fair and must not count but you can be sure that if it did go the way he want it certainly will count.

Have to say the ERG are full of bad losers who say they are supporting democracy but it's only when democracy goes the way they want it. If it doesn't they're trying to say it doesn't count. Typical spoilt rich guys if you ask me who are used to getting their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Remainers probably would campaign for it.

So neither of the two main party leaders, few of the main politicians. So what, TIG and a few celebs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Beth Rigby telling Mark Francois that for Brexiteers voting for the WA is now the lesser of 2 evils. Has TMs deal still a chance as the arithmetic is there if the ERG and DUP blink?

Mark Francois in that interview and I quote "I was in the army and I wasn't trained to lose" When you have Harry Enfield Essex wide boys stomping their feet you have to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Safe to say the public are a bit more informed this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

While Mary Creagh is speaking, Theresa May is sat there smirking and shaking her head. Appalling behavior when so many livelihoods are at stake.
    And that's why I said earlier int he day that I have zero sympathy for her. She is presiding over this mess and need to Maybot off the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Synode wrote: »
    I can't see the EU giving an extension for anything else

Can the EU really force a country into a referendum though? Would that not be a fairly brazen move on their part?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭Enzokk

May will still be determined to get her deal through, by any means possible. The question will be if Bercow allows her deal to be voted on again and how far she will go to try and force MPs to vote for her deal. I think she will very much take it to the wire on the 30th June with the cliff edge and there will be nothing but a cliff edge for her deal. The question then will be if the ERG will have her deal or no-deal and then it will be up to Labour to avoid no-deal.

This is still a mess with no leadership from any side.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Can the EU really force a country into a referendum though? Would that not be a fairly brazen move on their part?

If reports today are to be believed this has been preempted by brexiteers who have visited both Poland and Hungary last week to petition them to reject any request for an extension.

They cant force anything.

They can deny an extension.

This is a version of the UK blaming all around for their huge clusterfnck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The EU won't be forcing them to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I can only see a second referendum. Honestly, I don't see anything else.

Under the, (unwritten), British constitution, Parliament is sovereign. A referendum can only be advisory and is only a snapshot of the public view at a point in time. In any case there are very few major political decisions that can be reduced to a simple yes/no question. Referendums are often used as a form of protest vote against whoever is proposing the subject matter to be decided, rather than voting on the merits of the issue.
    It is the job of MPs in a representative democracy to tease out complex issues and legislate accordingly.
    Another referendum won't solve anything no matter which side wins. It's up to Parliament to do its duty.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Mark Francois in that interview and I quote "I was in the army and I wasn't trained to lose" When you have Harry Enfield Essex wide boys stomping their feet you have to laugh.

Theres always a first time. RTEs London correspondent mentioned on the 9pm news that ‘meaningful vote 3’ now being discussed. Tony Connelly saying a vote possible on 20th March.

• Advertisement

mugsymugsy wrote: »

He was in the TA.

He was trained by Lloyds Bank. To be a greedy cnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Here are the MPs who voted for / against that Spelman amendment https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/626

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

May will try for May's deal again won't she ?

Corbyn will be looking for a GE or a mandate to try to renegotiate.

SNP will be angling for Indyref2

Lib Dems may try to put distance between themselves and TIG so my not be united.

And it's all moot as we don't know what the options will be.

Simplest thing is to remind the Great British Public that the WA / May's deal is only a temporary arrangement to allow time to do the actual deal.

At best it's only the beginning of round 2.

The choices should be
    Remain as is.
    Years more of "meaningful votes" and other lies before the actual Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Under the, (unwritten), British constitution, Parliament is sovereign. A referendum can only be advisory and is only a snapshot of the public view at a point in time. In any case there are very few major political decisions that can be reduced to a simple yes/no question. Referendums are often used as a form of protest vote against whoever is proposing the subject matter to be decided, rather than voting on the merits of the issue.
    It is the job of MPs in a representative democracy to tease out complex issues and legislate accordingly.
    Another referendum won't solve anything no matter which side wins. It's up to Parliament to do its duty.

But what happens when Parliament can't do it's duty? That was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The softest Brexit so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    But what happens when Parliament can't do it's duty? That was my point.

Is that not the point where TM can revoke the whole thing and get back to being European???

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

So if they are indeed granted an extension what is the likelihood that she will get her deal over the line during the extension timeframe, like are we not heading for a third defeat here, what can she change to close the gap of over a hundred votes which she lost by yesterday??? I’m lost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TM is aiming for a 3rd vote on Mar 20th but as Alastair Campbell pointed out, her plans generally don't work out.
    Wait for the amendments tomorrow. vote on Ext at 5 pm.

Corbyn has indicated in his reply tonight that he will speak to different groups in Parliament and he did mention 2nd Ref as one of the options.

New game now.

What countries would be more than happy to see the UK go now rather than later?

The French are always looking to big themselves up.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Calltocall wrote: »
    So if they are indeed granted an extension what is the likelihood that she will get her deal over the line during the extension timeframe, like are we not heading for a third defeat here, what can she change to close the gap of over a hundred votes which she lost by yesterday??? I’m lost
    She basically threatened them with the 'no-deal' scenario. Today's vote was not legally binding.

Surely if it doesn't get through in a 3rd vote they'll have to have a people's vote?

How long can this chaos reign? Is any governing actually happening at the moment?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement