Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about AH?

Options

Comments

id say we could do with a moratorium on the word cesspit. it really has a hint of snotty preciousness about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,416 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

:confused:
    how does that fall foul of the rule?
    ...because I don't want people to think I'm a traveler / tinker or whatever you want to call those characters these days...

That would cover it, in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Odhinn

dudara wrote: »
    The changes that were made to the PC had no direct connection to Irish Water. The changes were made because it was broadly felt that the standard of posting & discourse had led to it becoming a cesspit. The final straw was when a post appeared about firebombing a direct provision centre.

....yet the "John Connors is a bit of a wanker" thread is just dandy, with its well thought out and provocative OP.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057861371

Since April 2018. But jaysus forbid we have a Trump thread in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Odhinn wrote: »
    ....yet the "John Connors is a bit of a wanker" thread is just dandy, with its well thought out and provocative OP.

Thank you for that, sincerely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

dulpit wrote: »
    That would cover it, in the OP.

still not seeing it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Since April 2018. But jaysus forbid we have a Trump thread in AH.

A Trump thread is more suited to politics or the politics cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

<snip>

Please note for posting in Feedback you need to be a member for 3 months and have a minimum postcount of 100

Thanks

Beasty

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A Trump thread is more suited to politics or the politics cafe.

Where's the best place for a year old thread whose OP reads

"John Connors is a bit of a wanker
    That’s it, really."

....because AH is not suitable to discuss a topical individual with vast powers and influence on the world, then surely its not suitable for 56 pages of traveller bashing for the sake of traveller bashing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If there was somewhere to move it to we would.

go, move, shift!

• Advertisement

...is the bin full?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The homophobic attack thread is an absolute disgrace.

The usual whataboutery, playing it down because it involves the gays and arguing over whether it should be headline news.

AH has become a place for bigots and trolls to vent their hateful and provocative bile and the moderators just let them away with it.

I know moderators have a tough job but some of the posts in that thread would sicken you, and it just feels like a waste of time reporting posts now because there’s so many threads where people just post the same hate-filled nonsense to excuse or play down behaviours and actions.

It’s a f*cking disgrace of a forum.

Faugheen wrote: »
    The homophobic attack thread is an absolute disgrace.

The usual whataboutery, playing it down because it involves the gays and arguing over whether it should be headline news.

AH has become a place for bigots and trolls to vent their hateful and provocative bile and the moderators just let them away with it.

I know moderators have a tough job but some of the posts in that thread would sicken you, and it just feels like a waste of time reporting posts now because there’s so many threads where people just post the same hate-filled nonsense to excuse or play down behaviours and actions.

It’s a f*cking disgrace of a forum.

It's the inconsistency. Lock and move all Trump threads, but leave a mega thread for traveller bashing. And yes, theres some serious trolling going on in that thread re the homophobic attack.

It's the inconsistency. Lock and move all Trump threads, but leave a mega thread for traveller bashing. And yes, theres some serious trolling going on in that thread re the homophobic attack.

There is a forum to move the Trump thread to. There is no forum to move a traveller thread to. I thought we had discussed this.

Report the posts you have issues with and the mods will have a look.
    Hoping to add 2 further mods soon to relieve some of the workload for the existing mods.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Same thread. Different poster spreading the exact same bile.

I really, really can't believe this is allowed to happen. It's like mods are afraid of these people whinging about 'free speech'.

This place isn't a democracy which entitles people to 'free speech'. At least it used to not be.

However if I call a hateful racist what he is then I'm the one who gets carded. It's absolute backwards logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

There is a forum to move the Trump thread to. There is no forum to move a traveller thread to. I thought we had discussed this.

Hoping to add 2 further mods soon to relieve some of the workload for the existing mods.

Why isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,416 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

But that's missing the bigger point. You would hope that there's no place on boards for traveller bashing. Boards of old wouldn't have allowed it. The admins don't seem to care now though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

There are too many to report. You have to wait between reports. You'd literally be there for over an hour if you reported all the homophobic and racist nonsense that's posted on the busy threads.

MrFresh wrote: »
    There are too many to report. You have to wait between reports. You'd literally be there for over an hour if you reported all the homophobic and racist nonsense that's posted on the busy threads.

So what you want is stricter moderation? This would take much more resources than are available and leads to negative feedback. Look at the posts above. The politics cafe was set up to provide better moderation of political threads yet the posters to now have criticised this and want less moderation. You however do not want to report posts but want more moderation.
    To be honest it is impossible to keep everyone happy so when there is only a low level of complaints like at the moment, and they are coming from contrasting viewpoints then the forum and moderation are working as best they can.
    It is impossible to monitor every post and every thread. If we make modding too much of a pain in the arse then none would be willing to do it

On page10 of that thread. Found a few minor issues but nothing outrageous. Could you report the 5 worst posts and I can check from there.

More issues with off topic posting than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

On page10 of that thread. Found a few minor issues but nothing outrageous. Could you report the 5 worst posts and I can check from there.

More issues with off topic posting than anything else.

Reported many posts and nothing done, in the meanwhile i get carded for telling a poster he bores me!

Then they wonder why the site bleeds posters, the trolls have been allowed take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Basically if you want to be racist against Muslims, travelers or immigrants then it's ok on After Hours.

Reported many posts and nothing done, in the meanwhile i get carded for telling a poster he bores me!

Then they wonder why the site bleeds posters, the trolls have been allowed take over.

You said the exact same thing by PM. Any reason why you're telling me twice?

RasTa wrote: »
    Basically if you want to be racist against Muslims, travelers or immigrants then it's ok on After Hours.

And yet the mods are constantly accused of being left wing SJWs. As I said above everyone will never be happy. It has often been said that Islam gets a free ride for example.

I don't tend to look at reported posts in AH but from forums I have moderated it is often the case you get reported posts for sexism or racism. Half the time it needs mental gymnastics to figure out how it is either.

In AH I have seen numerous infractions and bans for racism and trolling.

You said the exact same thing by PM. Any reason why you're telling me twice?

The 2nd is for the masses to see how shìtty the moderation has become on here where racists and homophobes get free reign to post whayever they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

So what you want is stricter moderation? This would take much more resources than are available and leads to negative feedback. Look at the posts above. The politics cafe was set up to provide better moderation of political threads yet the posters to now have criticised this and want less moderation. You however do not want to report posts but want more moderation.
    To be honest it is impossible to keep everyone happy so when there is only a low level of complaints like at the moment, and they are coming from contrasting viewpoints then the forum and moderation are working as best they can.
    It is impossible to monitor every post and every thread. If we make modding too much of a pain in the arse then none would be willing to do it

Not so much stricter as pro active on the busy and controversial threads. And there really needs to be a discussion on what is and is not allowed. That thread about a homophobic attack has become another Muslim thread. It happens all the time and it's the same posters each time that bring it back to the Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

RasTa wrote: »

It shouldn't mean any of those are untouchable if they do something wrong either, which is what a lot of the warriors seem to want.

The 2nd is for the masses to see how shìtty the moderation has become on here where racists and homophobes get free reign to post whayever they like.

So toys out of the pram then. Gotcha.

I looked up the reported posts you made by the way. I found only 2 and both were complaining about the same issue.
    Now personally I do not see someone calling religions homophobic as racist. This is because religions (Abrahamic at least) are homophobic. Luckily most of the followers ignore the nuttier elements of religion and go about their lives in a decent fashion.

Now you got a yellow card for attacking the poster rather than a post. This is the lightest punishment possible for a fairly standard breach of the rules. So instead of complimenting the moderator for enforcing rules, which you were asking to be done above, you come back on to moan. So everyone should follow rules except you, is that your point?

It is sunny outside. I would recommend stepping away from the internet for a while to get a little perspective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Not really.
    You might consider posts that you don't agree with to be racist or whatever but others may not.
    Either way it's not your decision to make

• Advertisement

So toys out of the pram then. Gotcha.

I looked up the reported posts you made by the way. I found only 2 and both were complaining about the same issue.
    Now personally I do not see someone calling religions homophobic as racist. This is because religions (Abrahamic at least) are homophobic. Luckily most of the followers ignore the nuttier elements of religion and go about their lives in a decent fashion.

Now you got a yellow card for attacking the poster rather than a post. This is the lightest punishment possible for a fairly standard breach of the rules. So instead of complimenting the moderator for enforcing rules, which you were asking to be done above, you come back on to moan. So everyone should follow rules except you, is that your point?

It is sunny outside. I would recommend stepping away from the internet for a while to get a little perspective.

No,

I'm pointing out the lack of inconsistency in the moderation but yeah carry on as if its not an issue by all means :rolleyes:

Oh and cheers for the condescending dig at the end, Bet that made you feel tmreally good about yourself ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement