Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about AH?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

B0jangles, you're "being a dick" at this stage.

The Mod made a decision and backed it up with his reasoning. Get over it.

You're just soapboxing now.
    While I may have some sympathy with your comments, can you please just report concerns and leave it to mods (or in this particular forum the Admins) to have a look at

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Contrary to the opinion that there is ugliness, intolerance or disrespect in the trans thread I find the people on both sides of the discussion to be generally nice people who for the most part are being open and robust in their arguments from either side. I would have a beer with any of them in real life, even the ones who don't like my opinion. This is a huge issue that cannot be closed down with appeal to pity fallacies and so on. There will be occasional slips of the tongue and animus from either side, strong sentiment, edgy back and forth, but that is the adult world, where we are all entitled to our diverse opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

B0jangles wrote: »
    No-one is asking you to control people's thoughts. You can and should require people to follow the charter which explicitly tells people 'don't be a dick'; even if that means forcing them to treat trans people with the bare minimum of respect.

B0jangles I agree that you do have a point, but you used a terrible example to make it. The author of the tweet themselves referred to their penis themselves when they suggested that anyone who disagrees with them should suck on it. To be honest I won’t say I’ve lived a sheltered life, but the last time I heard similar sentiments expressed were that awful “GI Jane” film in which Demi Moore suggests that her CO “suck my dick” -

That was back some time in the mid-90’s. I’ve never heard a collective groan from a cinema audience like it since :pac:

It was unnecessary then, it’s unnecessary now, for anyone to suggest someone who disagrees with them should suck on their penis. For you to use that to suggest any response to it would be motivated by transphobia is ridiculous, frankly, as the person themselves made their argument all about their penis.

If someone showed up here to argue that gay people were deluded and perverted and a likely threat to children, they'd rapidly and rightly be banned for being repulsively homophobic. The same cannot be said for people saying the same sorts of things about trans people.

The thing about refusing to sanction this kind of shít is that pretty quickly the only posters you have left are the ones who want to post this shít.

Everyone else leaves.

(how are boards sign-ups looking these days? - lots of new users who definitely aren't the same old reregs coming back for the 50th time?)

As someone who was here during The Great Shìtposting Era (circa 1998 - present), I can assure you that I have witnessed plenty of groups in society experience the kind of bigotry and prejudice you’re referring to, and to be honest, you yourself have been at the Vanguard of many of these challenges to various groups in society whose perspective you didn’t agree with.

Suddenly when the beliefs of a group you identify yourself with that are being challenged, you’re demanding people respect their beliefs and their right to tell women who challenge them, to suck on their dick?

Ehhh... no, frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

But I can also see why this further supports the need for a separate free access current affairs forum like AH but...well, current affairs :) ... where those who want a happy style AH don't have to be offended by the presence of challenging threads when they click on their AH page.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Zorya wrote:
    But I can also see why this further supports the need for a separate free access current affairs forum like AH but...well, current affairs ... where those who want a happy style AH don't have to be offended by the presence of challenging threads when they click on their AH page.

I agree. I think there is appetite for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can we re-ban toilet threads again? They’re stomach churning and vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Beasty wrote: »
    While I may have some sympathy with your comments, can you please just report concerns and leave it to mods (or in this particular forum the Admins) to have a look at

Thanks

Don't worry, I've said all I have to say and I've made my point as well as I can.

I specifically didn't raise any of this in the original thread because I know that questioning mod action in-thread is a big no-no. So I brought my feedback here to 'Feedback'; apparently I have overstepped and given just too damn much feedback.

Apologies.

B0jangles wrote:
    I specifically didn't raise any of this in the original thread because I know that questioning mod action in-thread is a big no-no. So I brought my feedback here to 'Feedback'; apparently I have overstepped and given just too damn much feedback.

I appreciate that b0jangles and do appreciate the discussion also, even if we don't agree on all points.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Can we re-ban toilet threads again? They’re stomach churning and vile.

well don't read them then.

I think they add much needed humour back to AH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Zorya wrote: »
    This is a huge issue that cannot be closed down with appeal to pity fallacies and so on.

The transgender issue is not a huge issue in Ireland where 99% plus of the population are not transgender and that 99% plus couldn't care what that tiny minority do in their private lives. There have been too many trans related threads in AH even in my short time registered here, why oh why have they not been in the LGBT forum where specific answers can be found or maybe in one mega thread for AH?
    It was unnecessary then, it’s unnecessary now, for anyone to suggest someone who disagrees with them should suck on their penis

That post in AH is inappropriate, talking about anatomy like that should not be imported from twitter, it is indecent posting about "sucking on a d**k". There maybe a young audience in AH and they do not need language like that in their face, call me on morals or what but AH has it's title as Social and Fun, not explicit sexual stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

klaaaz wrote: »

That post in AH is inappropriate, talking about anatomy like that should not be imported from twitter, it is indecent posting about "sucking on a d**k". There maybe a young audience in AH and they do not need language like that in their face, call me on morals or what but AH has it's title as Social and Fun, not explicit sexual stuff like that.

Taking that level of prudishness to posting guidelines would effectively kill the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,298 ✭✭✭✭looksee

well don't read them then.

I think they add much needed humour back to AH

How is it humour?

looksee wrote: »
    How is it humour?

how is it not?

If you have to answer a question with a question you don't have a great deal of confidence in your argument.

looksee wrote:
    If you have to answer a question with a question you don't have a great deal of confidence in your argument.

You sure? :D

looksee wrote: »

I don't understand you question. It is of course funny, I don't understand how you can think its not. Do you not have a sense of humour?

You are referring to a. bodily functions and b. waste disposal. Sleeping, eating, drinking, washing are necessary functions or activities, none of them are inherently funny. You might be able to find or create a joke in relation to one of these, but it isn't the basic act that is funny. You can empty rubbish bins, clean the sink, pour dirty water down a drain. Again nothing specifically funny about any of these.

The scatalogical threads are created just to create an opportunity to discuss bodily waste, because of left-over notions from childhood and a glee in thinking that it is edgy (or something) to say things that you think are regarded as outrageous or embarrassing. When in fact it is just boring and/or distasteful.

On the other hand it is not necessary to ban them, that would be playing into the hands of the people who are trying to be outré.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Surely The Cuckoos Nest would be a better place for them?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Surely The Cuckoos Nest would be a better place for them?
    Isn't that where the banks have been selling their tracker mortgages?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The difference with the toilet threads of late versus the usual current AH items is that while you might not find them funny, they are not in themselves anti-anybody, unlike the usual fare of AH (anti-traveller, anti-dole, anti-muslim, anti-feminist, anti-etc).

More poo threads would make for a happier AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

dulpit wrote: »
    The difference with the toilet threads of late versus the usual current AH items is that while you might not find them funny, they are not in themselves anti-anybody, unlike the usual fare of AH (anti-traveller, anti-dole, anti-muslim, anti-feminist, anti-etc).

More poo threads would make for a happier AH.

There's money in Sh1t I tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just regarding the political threads getting shunted off to the Cafe, depending on whatever far from clear factors get them shunted there:

The Saoirdh/Love Ulster thread has been going for weeks now,

Opened by a poster who has been repeatedly banned from politics threads, and now sits there as a tit for tat thread, with posters continually popping in and out to post such cool and edgy comments such as "zzzzzz" and "yawn" then followed up a few days later with comments like "Bobby Sands Batter Burger" which - imo is the very epitome of what trolling is.

Apart from that, you have dozens (possibly hundreds at this stage) from a (I strongly believe) previously site banned poster who is posting stuff that is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, demanding proof from posters of things they never said, and likewise answer questions not asked of them, they've even gone to the lengths of suggest people have edited their posts (I believe only admin and moderators have this ability) to try and make it look like they posted things they didn't. (Cuck fcuking Coo)

Thread has descended into a complete and utter car wreck, and it's not surprising that the usual, and previous site banned accounts are heavily involved in it.

I've reported a few posts, but then just adopted a "fcuk it, sure they don't seem to give a shyte" attitude when noone gets pulled into line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Just out of curiosity, what was the thinking behind merging threads where one dealt with gangland shootings/murders and organised crime, and the other was about teenage scumbags in Dublin?

Link: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057832446&page=494

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what was the thinking behind merging threads where one dealt with gangland shootings/murders and organised crime, and the other was about teenage scumbags in Dublin?

Link: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057832446&page=494

Because for the last 2 days both threads have been discussing the same thing. Every time something big comes up they both were going on about the same thing. One thread is enough.

Nosnon wrote: »
    Because for the last 2 days both threads have been discussing the same thing. Every time something big comes up they both were going on about the same thing. One thread is enough.

Not sure what you are talking about here, but there is a lot of unnecessary confusion going on in that thread at the moment.
    Could a CMod or Admin take a look please?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A mod note to that end would have done the trick.

One thread is discussing the ongoing and much publicised Gangland activity that has been raging on our and is very organised in its nasture. The other was discussing the arguably less publicised teenage sh*theads running amok in North County Dublin and its surrounds i.e. Balbriggan and the DART line towns.

Two totally different topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

And for the last day and a half both have been discussing the recent murders in Dublin. Same every time a murder happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah the two threads were odd they had morphed into one topic long before the merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Just regarding the political threads getting shunted off to the Cafe, depending on whatever far from clear factors get them shunted there:

The Saoirdh/Love Ulster thread has been going for weeks now,

Opened by a poster who has been repeatedly banned from politics threads, and now sits there as a tit for tat thread, with posters continually popping in and out to post such cool and edgy comments such as "zzzzzz" and "yawn" then followed up a few days later with comments like "Bobby Sands Batter Burger" which - imo is the very epitome of what trolling is.

Apart from that, you have dozens (possibly hundreds at this stage) from a (I strongly believe) previously site banned poster who is posting stuff that is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, demanding proof from posters of things they never said, and likewise answer questions not asked of them, they've even gone to the lengths of suggest people have edited their posts (I believe only admin and moderators have this ability) to try and make it look like they posted things they didn't. (Cuck fcuking Coo)

Thread has descended into a complete and utter car wreck, and it's not surprising that the usual, and previous site banned accounts are heavily involved in it.

I've reported a few posts, but then just adopted a "fcuk it, sure they don't seem to give a shyte" attitude when noone gets pulled into line.

A user can edit their posts within a certain time limit without any indication of it appearing to others. I don't believe even admins can see when this happens.

Omackeral wrote: »
    A mod note to that end would have done the trick.

One thread is discussing the ongoing and much publicised Gangland activity that has been raging on our and is very organised in its nasture. The other was discussing the arguably less publicised teenage sh*theads running amok in North County Dublin and its surrounds i.e. Balbriggan and the DART line towns.

Two totally different topics.

It was just another immigration thread. Should have been moved to PC rather than being merged with the feud stuff.

• Advertisement

And for the last day and a half both have been discussing the recent murders in Dublin. Same every time a murder happens.

I cannot recall that happening on the Dublin gangs thread, and if I did miss it, it certainly was not prevalent.
    A "back on topic" warning could have been easily given if that was the case, as in most threads when the topic veers sideways. I do not recall any warning about discussing murders in the last day and a half.

Had a quick look at the thread you merged it with, and it has been totally consumed by the Gangland Shooting thread, and all we are reading about now are posts about the supposed identity of a shooter in the Gangland wars.

So mission accomplished by you. You figured out a way to stop the discussion about the African gangs, or mostly African gangs, causing strife in the Dublin area. They were not shooting anybody, but they ended up on a thread about Gangland Shootings. I'd say their parents wouldn't be too pleased about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement